Normal User US1 Player

Default New Player starting in a few minutes.

I really dont know much about the game but what i have heard ive liked. I have a few questions though. Thanks for any help in advance.

1. Is it important to level melee and archery? And if I go magic will i need to level melee at all? I know what everyone needs to level magic for certain skills tho.

2. Once you get a mount do they last forever or do you need to keep making/buying new ones?

3. In crafting are any certain crafts more profitable or desired then others? Are there any useless crafts?

4. How much does alignment effect pvp? Should i choose one race over another based on alignment?

5. How many different playstyles and builds are actually competitive and viable in pvp?

6. How is the endgame pvp and whats it consist of?

7. How bad am i gonna get bitchslapped in the first month of playing before im competitive?

8. Any tips? X_X

Edit - 9. Whats the deal with macroing that i hear about? Im assuming its illegal but what do people use it for? Is it a big problem?

Thanks alot for any help i get! Kinda going into this game blind.
    Last edited by Ryguy1418; 02-28-2010 at 19:54.

Normal User EU1 Player

Quote Originally Posted by Ryguy1418 View Post
    I really dont know much about the game but what i have heard ive liked. I have a few questions though. Thanks for any help in advance.

1. Is it important to level melee and archery? And if I go magic will i need to level melee at all? I know what everyone needs to level magic for certain skills tho.

People will tell you what you have to do but really comes down to what you want to do. Its nice to be well balanced but you dont NEED melee although it can help

2. Once you get a mount do they last forever or do you need to keep making/buying new ones?

It lasts until it dies or gets stolen. You can make new ones from ingrediants or buy them from players

3. In crafting are any certain crafts more profitable or desired then others? Are there any useless crafts?

All have a use, some take a lot longer/more money to level than others so are more desired.

4. How much does alignment effect pvp? Should i choose one race over another based on alignment?

No, alignment is easily manipulated

5. How many different playstyles and builds are actually competitive and viable in pvp?

Cant help you there, not done much PvP past defending myself from people that 3 hit me

Read above again

7. How bad am i gonna get bitchslapped in the first month of playing before im competitive?

Depends who you ask and what you do. With a lot of spare time and a bit of know how you could be decently competitive in group pvp quick quickly

8. Any tips? X_X

Join NEW. Great for starting players and can provide 100x more info than me

Thanks alot for any help i get! Kinda going into this game blind.
    Sure other people can give better advice, best of luck to you in game
    I have left darkfall so my community offer is no longer valid. Please Note :

If you have already bought from my Link, please PM me or contact me on yahoo/msn ubo.smith@yahoo.co.uk for any information on your discount.

Yes you will need to level lesser magic to at least 70 (eventually but not right away.)

You will also need to level archery and melee as well even if you are a mage. If you are a pure mage, at least level 1h axes or 1h swords so that you can fight when mounted.

Mounts can and will be killed. At first you will be glad to get your first. Treasure it and only take it out when travelling from one bank to another. Later on when you get stronger and a few more mounts in the bank, you will constantly use them to ride into battle - where they will die sometimes.

My suggestion is to level tailoring if you are a mage type, and armorsmithing if you are a melee type.

Do not worry about enchanting, it's extremely expensive and impossible to get the ingredients you need when you first start.

When you are a newbie, alignment is very important. Do not kill other blues as you will not be allowed back in your city without dying. When you get stronger and join a clan, you will live out of a player city with your clan. This is when alignment is not as important.

Right now, hybrid or mage is the type you see the most. Destroyers are a rare breed, but the few that are out there play their spec very well. Destroyers are 90% melee, 10% magic.

Endgame is constant pvp and sieges against other player cities. It's extremely fun! Politics also play a great part in end game tactics.

Bad. Deal with it. You may die a few times a day if you're lucky. Gear comes easy in darkfall. When you are a noob it's a bit tougher to get gear, but start armorsmithing from the start and you'll be able to make your own gear. The best gear comes from crafting and not mob dropped.

8. Any tips? X_X
    Make friends and be loyal to them. After a few weeks look for a clan. A powerful one - not a scrub clan. Any clan names you see hovering above the statues around the NPC cities are a good bet.

Edit - 9. Whats the deal with macroing that i hear about? Im assuming its illegal but what do people use it for? Is it a big problem?
    Macroing happens, but it is frowned upon by honorable players - don't do it. If a GM sees you macroing or you are reported you can get a temporary ban.

Hope to see you in the game soon. If you are on NA-1 give me a shout in game. Name is Agur Blackcrown. Use the /tell command and you need to specify both last and first name. /tell agur blackcrown hey

you NEED to level melee as well as magic, its a good way to farm gold because it does not cost regs, also if you are fighting a destroyer (they do 40% more damage when you have a staff out) you are forced to fight them with melee when they get in close range otherwise you don't stand a chance.

Normal User US1 Player

So i logged in, i cant find and goblins tho, ran all over the place, 3 different goblin locations marked on the map, and i havent found a single person or monster to kill. Kinda confused atm haha.

9000+

Short answer: Yes.
    Longer answer: Melee is important for PvP, as most fights enter melee range at some point. Archery is a nice tool, and though it is slightly underpowered at the moment, it's also good to PvE for resources with.

Mounts last until killed, which can be a long time or a short one. They're not especially expensive to produce though.

Nothing is useless, but Enchanting is very valuable as a side effect of being costly to raise. Jewelsmithing used to be useless, but now makes arcane protection rings, which are important for city raids.

Not much. If your clan has a city (or an ally with one), there's not too much reason to be blue.

At the moment, two major templates (casting and mounted melee), but there are a multitude of ways to build each. More role specialization is a stated goal for upcoming expansions.

Fun, its composition depends largely on the scale. "Endgame" duels are mostly about dodging and health management, whereas sieges are pretty deeply strategic. Comparing a well executed siege to a battle in a RTS would be a pretty valid thing to do.

Not sure how things are for new players now. It wasn't bad when I started, but that was launch, and everyone was on equal footing.

8. Any tips? X_X
    Bank early, bank often, play with sound on, and pay attention for footsteps. The (usually) fixed camera means you actually have to pay attention, or you will get ambushed by someone from out of sight.

Also, join NEW, but not right away - get your starter quests out of the way first. NEW can't help you much if you can't live out of their city, and starter funds will go a long way towards getting you some basic skills.

Macros are programs which automatically execute inputs on a timer. They are usually used to raise skills while offline, but are massively slower than active PvE training.
    Quote Originally Posted by Winkers View Post
    Narcowski, you're the best moderator on this forum.
    Quote Originally Posted by HauptmannHP View Post
    Narcowski won, gg.

So i logged in, i cant find and goblins tho, ran all over the place, 3 different goblin locations marked on the map, and i havent found a single person or monster to kill. Kinda confused atm haha.
    ??

Are you on NA or EU? What race did you pick? The world is huge, so people are scattered all over. In fact, it's better if you don't see alot of people for ganking reasons. But the newbie areas should be populated and the NPC cities too.

Take a look at server discussion forums below for all PvP drama
    How to be Ray Pew[NA1]

My Videos Older vids

Quote Originally Posted by Tasos View Post
    drinking gets in the way of my lifting

Normal User

Heh, just go to one of the goblin spawns and wait. Highly recommend you view the Darkfall accelerated char development guide:

http://forums.darkfallonline.com/sho...d.php?t=229815

Whatever you do, don't use your noob protection time harvesting. Spend it on your title quests/mob killing. Also recommend you do the vit quest first, as hp is a long assed grind in this game.

Yes it is important to level melee and archery, don't let anyone tell you otherwise. I recommend two handed axe or two handed sword as your primary weapon, and any 1 hander for mounted combat. Archery is one of the faster skills to level, you can do it at any mob that drops arrows. First reason is as a mage you want to be able to fight when the battle goes to water (archery with aqua shot spec). Second reason is that when doing PVE you want to be able to farm regs to cast your spells. There will be times you are are out of regs and/or mana and with no other way to kill the mob you are going to be making a lot of annoying bank runs. Appropriate magic+elemental melee+elemental bow = easy farming on many mobs out there. Third, as a mage you will find yourself in melee range more often than you may like. You need to be able to compete when closed on. Finally, meleeing mobs raises base stats faster than anything else in the game. Increased vitality and strength = more hit points for your character which directly increases survivability.

DF1: Rathmar Lonewulf
    DFUW: Morrigan TNT