Hybrid View

Banned

Default Shields are worse than worthless - Is this insentional?

If player_A with 60+ 2h mastery beats on player_B that is parrying with a shield, then player_A will kill player_B THROUGH the shield before his stamina runs out.

This makes shields totally worthless in melee PvP.

Further-on the abilities disabling blow/shot makes shields even worse.

So shields are WORSE than totally WORTHLESS - Is this what Aventurine intended in this game?

Normal User US1 Player

I suspect that shields may be rebalanced a small amount to compensate for the new disabling powers, but otherwise I do think they are functioning as intended - that Av does mean for them to provide the additional resists, but little else. Whether this is right or not is another matter.

I guess the question is not what Av intends, but what the players such as yourself would prefer - what would you want shields to do, or do better?

Normal User

Def not worthless.
    100% of all good pvpers run around with a shield in theire bag for a reason...

Quote Originally Posted by TheDna View Post
    Def not worthless.
    100% of all good pvpers run around with a shield in theire bag for a reason...
    That's the problem. The shield is for situational use only. The whole melee system needs to be redone. Fighting consists of evading attacks by sprinting around the enemy. I can see why a lot of people don't like it and some compare it with CS knife fights.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hyldor Gwyvallt View Post
    Obviously all this in the US...the country where a fanatical worship of science has replaced any true religious sense or any balanced perception of LIFE

Disabling blow is the problem, or the solution depending on your outlook on it.
    Last edited by foojin; 02-06-2010 at 19:33.

2000+

Shields are not even close to worthless. While it does eat a lot of stamina, and people can use disabling blow to counter it (for only 5-10 seconds) it still has a lot of uses. First, it allows you to mitigate spell damage if you are a melee player. Charge towards a mage while blocking, and they can barely touch you. You can use the same tactic on a mount while charging someone. Most people cannot hit the player while they are on a mount, but when you fight someone who can you will be glad to have block.

Turteling is not possible that true. While the sword user uses disable blos you can land 2 hits...against polearms you can block-swing. Oha Bo on EU server shows pretty good how to fight in meele with 1h
    Darkfall Unholy Wars
    Playing Darkfall is the most fun I've ever had on a computer with my pants zipped up and both hands on the desk.

Normal User

Shields are pretty worthless due to disabling blow alone as it stands.

As for stamina, well that involves stats... Your total stamina and your enemies, then your skill with parry and his skill with his weapon will determine how much stam is used while you block and he swings.

Also try timing your block and stop holding down the button, You can tell when someones about to hit you (comes into range with weapon unsheathed, see the start of swing) and then block, once it is blocked, drop your block untill its incoming again. This will save you alot of stamina over time, eat food of course and pot when needed. Use the enviroment to LOS and run if needed.

Very possible unless your ISP/Comp/Player Skills are fucking horrible.

Before they enabled disableing blow I was using shields very effectively, alot of fun really. Still viable in alot of sitations, none of them include melee pvp combat IMO lol, cept mounted of course.

PS: There is a Unfazed specialization (Reduces stam lost when hit in melee combat) & a Guardsman specialization (Reduce Stam Cost to Block).

PSS: trying to "Outlast" a persons stamina with a shield won't work with most, with decent food, pots and conversion spells it would take a a idiot to run out of stam facing someone who turtles.
    If you're not sure, don't speak. It is better to make them think you are a fool, than remove all doubt.

Quote Originally Posted by Kraznor View Post
    Darkfall is NOT an MMORPG, it's a MMOFPS.
    Quote Originally Posted by JetBoom View Post
    say it to my face, not online.