Thread: Safe CPU temps

Default Safe CPU temps

I'm converting some video files and I noticed that my cpu temp is sitting at around 70 degrees celsius. It's overclocked from 2.6ghz to 3.12ghz and it is dual core. I'm guessing that it is a safe range seeing as my computer hasn't shut down and applications aren't randomly failing on me, but I just don't remember it ever going that high before.

Opinions?
    Last edited by Tithan Natus; 01-29-2010 at 07:37.

5000+

buy an airduster, dust the shit out of it, voila. lower cpu temps.

cheap, easy, why take a risk, just do it every so often.
    Last edited by zato`1; 01-29-2010 at 07:32.
    Originally Posted by Daggermaniac
    The only DF player that I have expected of Aim Botting is Zato Ichi.

70 Celsius idle? That's WAY too hot. Even at full load, that's sort of hot, but if it's capped at 70 you're not in any immediate danger.

My Core 2 duo E8400 at 3.0 GHz idles at 36 celsius and at full load reaches 45. I wouldn't really feel comfortable if it went above 60.

Yummy.

19,000+

That is pretty damn hot, you might want to lower your overclock until you fix the problem.

Technically, "safe temps" vary with CPU. Sometimes the manual specifies safety ranges, in fact. Some processors fry at a temperature that at which others are designed to run and run well.
    Quote Originally Posted by Exevos View Post
    nacitar has never used any (to my knowledge) exploit maneuvers, glitches, and/or bugs... He has always been adamant in his ways, ... having been totally legit since launch, a feat many of us have failed.

Hmm well before I wasn't idling at 70, I was converting some .avi's to .mp4's.
    Now I'm idling at 40 which I'm almost certain is fine.

Quote Originally Posted by Tithan Natus View Post
    If you're worried about it, get a Zalman CPU heatsink/fan combo, and re-apply the thermal paste on your CPU itself and make sure it's seated well. Doesn't seem overly hot if it's thrashing but replacing your stock stuff with something better would definitely lower it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nevron View Post
    I play Halo and I'm autistic.

Quote Originally Posted by Tithan Natus View Post
    Sometimes idle temps can be low but full load temps can shoot very very high, if your cpu fan/heatsink isn't attached correctly.

Yummy.

2000+

70 C is pretty high, but I'd say it needs to get around 80 C or 90 C before you need to start panicking. My old CPU ran at 70 C for who knows how long on my old PC, before I started looking into my CPU temps, and I didn't have any problems. Still, 70 C is indeed high, so a little more air might be good. A cheap way to get it to cool down a little is to dust the area around it. The dust inside your PC can act as an insulator, which you can imagine is not going to help your CPU temps.

You may also want to consider getting a better fan. You may also want to do a little research on the max temp your motherboard will allow your CPU to run at and the max temperature your CPU can maintain before failing, just to make sure no damage is done.
    Last edited by Tzacharu; 01-30-2010 at 05:56.
    Quote Originally Posted by Carl Sagan
    For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.

Normal User

My cpu is a bit overclocked from 2.13 to 2.4 ghz(dualcore) and it idles at around 50-53 celcius. Reaching 60 at full load.
    Last edited by [s]John; 01-30-2010 at 14:44.