Page 1 of 3 12 ... LastLast
    Normal User

Default A newbie that went red :(

Hey Guys and Gals,

I just wanted to share an experience I had within this game.

I have only been playing a week. Its truthfully been a very fun time and not difficult as other people state. Yes, people are trying to gank me, the mobs are difficult and I have had to spend time harvesting/mining. But thats what I like. I also like the open PVP.

However, after raising my swords and noticing that I can actually do a little bit of damage now I decided to test it out. As such, I attacked a fellow dwarve. I proceeded to go "Red" which means ANYONE can kill me without being flagged red or grey, and I can't go into cities and use banks. And I now die and go back to a chaos stone. When I die I also have no access to my bank to get Armour or weapons, of which I don't have much anyway! Red also DOES NOT WEAR OFF. You can only lose it by attacking other reds or enemies. Mobs/spawn do not count (unless I am mistaken).

Now let me tell you this, after I went red I proceeded to sneak away from my area and go into the enemies area. I tried to find mining noobs and the such. However, being red to everyone there made it exceedingly difficult. I spent an hour running after and away from people. At about the 2 hour mark a mounted Ork finally found me and chased me for quite a distance until finishing me off in the water. Thats where I am now. Royally screwed.

I have no armour, no weapons other than my Leafblade and no access to a bank. I can't go into cities as the towers attack me.

I have learned a lesson from this. At first I got upset and thought I wasn't going to play the game anymore. NO I did not get angry or throw anything around in nerd rage. I have however gone ahead and cancelled my account just in case. I have about 23 days left of play time. I am going to delete my character that I put quite a few hours into and create a new one. I am going to role as an Ork maybe.

With all this being said, I really think that this is an enormous flaw in the game. I am all for the difficult mobs (strafing, circling blah blah), the grinding which isn't bad IMO and everything else with the game. But I do think its unreasonable to put such a burden on a new character. I feel there should be a way to lose your red status without having to kill another red or enemy. Maybe have it wear off after 12 hours? Kinda like UO, heck, make it 24 hours. At least there would be an end in sight! Maybe some sort of quest? Killing Mobs that are opposed to your faction (even if in huge quantities)? Im not asking for a UO clone, this game is great. But if a newbie doesn't read this and know not to go red due to the repricussions, they may quit and never play again!!!

PS; please spare me the carebear comments and offer ideas instead. Maybe I am missing something? I am open to new ideas. This is just a newbies opinion. And if Darkfall is to continue into the future, newbies are needed! I'd also like to point out, I am not complaining that I can't do much in my first week or that other players had a chance to exploit and take advantage of things before my time and thus I may never be equivelant to them. Thats not my issue. Just this one tiny detail.

there are a few chaos cities around with banks for red people to live in, and if u want your alignment back to blue without having to run around looking for other players, then find one player who also is in that chaos city with red alignment OR a enemy race from your race. Ask him nicely or offer him gold if you have, to be allowed to kill him untill you get your alignment back OR if one is afk at the stone in a chaos city just kill him whenever you can ^^ just a few things you can do

Normal User EU1 Player

join a clan, everyone is red

1000+ EU1 Player

dude - do not delete your char.

What you need to do is run to a chaos city. check the woirld map for your nearest one.

Once there bind to the stone. If others live there wait till they all piss off out the city before you get your gear out the bank.

Then head off and take out all the rage over your current situation on some poor hapless bastard that just started in an enemy starting area.

I am guessing you are not very far in the minus so you will just need to kill a few guys afk mining or something.

Normal User

Quote Originally Posted by -morph- View Post
    dude - do not delete your char.
    Agreed - play it smart and you can be blue in a few hours.

Better yet,

1) bind along the way down to Hammerdale at every chaos stone
    2) then kill a few naked NEW members at the Hammerdale Clanstone to go blue again
    3) and then apply to NEW to live out of a city filled with beginning players like yourself.

Going red won't matter again and you'll have lots of people to group with and learn the game.

Normal User

I didn't delete my character, I was hoping for some advice. I am unfamiliar with a lot of stuff at this point. I am going to take the advice offered here and I will try to apply it. Hopefully by tonight I am all good to go!

Thanks for the encouragement, this lowly newb needed it.

I wouldn't delete char or quit.

most ppl are red a lot of the time.

It's actually really fun living out of chaos cities. Sure, you'll get killed occasionally and maybe bind camped, but it's really not that bad. It's actually a really good way to get the feel for DF.

I agree that it can be a pain in the butt being red. It also forces you to be resourceful and ultimately makes you a better player. Don't throw in the towel so easily...

go to one of the DF map programs and look for a place where there's a chaos stone near a wilderness bank that doesn't have a guard tower. There are a few of them. Alternatively, you could live out of a chaos city. There is at least one on every major island and 3 around the center of the map. There are also others on islands far away from most stuff.

The most new player friendly chaos city I know of is called "Mirror Sea". It is on an island far off the west coast of agon. It's a long trip to get there, but you can hunt lowbie mobs there pretty easily and there are a lot of nice harvesting spots. Generally speaking, people on chaos cities aren't aggressive toward others in town, but if you pick a fight with inhabitants you'll probably get run off. You could try joining up with a clan in a chaos city, which would help you a lot.

Quote Originally Posted by Furyos View Post
    Agreed - play it smart and you can be blue in a few hours.

Better yet,

2) then kill a few naked NEW members at the Hammerdale Clanstone to go blue again
    3) and then apply to NEW to live out of a city filled with beginning players like yourself.

Going red won't matter again and you'll have lots of people to group with and learn the game.
    This is also sound advice, but it is the carebear way to start in DF. I am a firm believer that you will ultimately be a better player if you adopt a more frustrating playstyle and don't join NEW. Your char will probably get developed faster if you join new, though.

NEW is certainly an option a viable option.

1000+

DONT QUIT!!

This was what I was going to suggest.

Go to Sinister maps online and look for Hammerdale city in southern humanlands or the closest chaos city. You could try and ask public alliance chat for help to.

Are you a human? I am human, clanless, and red as well. I know the world very well though so I do not have a problem banking, etc. I mostly just bank in random hamlets.

LOL I remember when I went red when I started the game. I cried in public for someone to let me kill them, but no one would. I ended up finding a chaos city on sinister and going to their bind to camp reds there. It was very crowded at the time, and the most challenging thing was getting bound there without anyone noticing but once I was bound, I became blue again quite fast. At least I got to be able to explore the world a bit . ..

I will be online in about 4 hours and will try and help if you send me a tell.

: P

omg its D day already!?

Lots of good ideas here. Post back and let us/future noobs know what happened!

Feel free to send me a tell in game if you have any questions or need free alignment ( name in sig )
    How to be Ray Pew[NA1]

My Videos Older vids

Quote Originally Posted by Tasos View Post
    drinking gets in the way of my lifting

Banned EU1 Player

Id like to tell all those people crying "align is broken, make it harder!" to read this thread.

Quote Originally Posted by Rowkilla View Post
    Id like to tell all those people crying "align is broken, make it harder!" to read this thread.
    It is broken, broken beyond repair really. They need a new system that punishes noobs less, and ARACs more.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rezwarius View Post
    Even Ymgarl, who has some pretty backwards ideas has more important things to say than you do.

Normal User

@OP
    I had exactly the same situation as yourself, I went red very early on and like you, at first it felt game breaking. But there are ways around the obstacles you face, and back to being blue if its what you want.

Use a Map, they help identify banks and stones you can use as a red: http://www.afraidyet.net/forums/misc...e=Darkfall_Map

Also, remember the game is designed to be played with other people. If you go do some racial PvP with some friends, you can be back blue in minutes.

Good luck.

Normal User

Yea, its not hard to go back by killing other guys at the chaos stones.

Actually, one of my big pet peeves with this game is the fact there are no chaos stones near banks.

It really cuts down any adventuring and PVE down to starter towns and guild cities.
    Sup