Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Droid...

2000+ Long term follower

Default Droid...

So whose getting the droid? I probably will just because it's not the iphone, and better imo because it's on Verizon which by far has better 3G than ATT and because Verizon left the system and android alone so anyone can get their apps on there, therefore more for free unlike the iphone.

That being said, Smartphones are expensive as hell. 75 bucks a month. Ugh...
    Killer 93% Socializer 53% Achiever 40% Explorer 13%

2000+

i guess no 1 else wants to ask. ill do it,

wtf is the droid?
    Last edited by Grisu; 11-20-2009 at 09:25.

1000+ Long term follower
    Last edited by Carnagel; 11-20-2009 at 09:35.

Quote Originally Posted by Erratic View Post
    .... and better imo because it's on Verizon which by far has better 3G than ATT and because Verizon left the system and android alone so anyone can get their apps on there....
    Don't believe marketing hype. Of all of he carriers Verizon will be the worst performing network for the foreseeable future. Their "3G" network tops out at ~1 Mb/s with EV-DO. Sprint is heavily invested in clear wire WiMax for future high bandwidth but this technology will not be mature for yers. AT&T has by FAR the widest coverage with cat 8 HSPA ( 7.2 Mb/s) and roadmap for LTE (years away very slightly behind Wimax). But the sleeper on the block is T-Mobile. Currently they have one of the smallest "3G" footprints, however they are moving to HSPA+ which gives them 21 mb/s with only software upgrades tho thier network.

As for Droid being "open" to applications..... If an "open" application store mean you must have your apps approved for download ont he network, then yes droid in an open system. But then again the iPhone app store should be considered an open system as well.

I am not a hater or a fanboi of any smart phone. But all of the information out that you are reading is complete and utter bullshit. It is 100% spin or outright fabrication. Her is the reality of smart phones:
    + Iphone - Worst call drop rte on nealry any phone on the market (Signals ahead research). Piss poor battery life on 3G models.

+ Droid - Claims of "open" development platform are BS. hey use nearly the same development model as the iphone. They still must approve your application (which is a good thing). Battery life and actual call performance isnt known yet. The use of the verizon network is a huge downside and will not get better until Verizon can escape the legacy CDMA-2000/IS-95 infrastructure (years away).

Oh yeah. Did I mention that Motorola can't engineer its way out of a paper bag? I should know, I have worked for them.

+ HTC - great phone. Horrendous battery life

+ Blackberry - Great battery life. Worst sound quality of any phone I have ever used.

+ LGE insight - laughable.

+ Palm Pre - Actually this one is looking to be pretty good. But it is only on Sprint int he US. This means speeds are capped at EV-DO (piss poor).

It is really sad but the US is and has been the wireless backwater of the globe. While I sell 21 Mb/s modems to countries in Europe, Asia, and Oceana, the US struggles to bring up modems which run at 7.2 Mb/s.

Don't believe marketing bullshit or anything you hear in a commercial.

oh well rant off.
    Last edited by TheVillageIdiot; 11-20-2009 at 09:59.
    "I May be dumb, but I'm not stupid!"
    - The Village Idiot

Normal User Long term follower

Quote Originally Posted by TheVillageIdiot View Post
    oh well rant off.
    Well done living up to your name.

2000+

This is not the droid I'm looking for.

Moe Lester

4000+

Quote Originally Posted by Tribaja View Post
    I just snorted green tea

12,000+

Quote Originally Posted by TheVillageIdiot View Post
    It is really sad but the US is and has been the wireless backwater of the globe. While I sell 21 Mb/s modems to countries in Europe, Asia, and Oceana, the US struggles to bring up modems which run at 7.2 Mb/s.

Don't believe marketing bullshit or anything you hear in a commercial.

oh well rant off.
    Does US government subsidize phone companies? What about the rest of the world? What is preventing US from innovating like the rest of the world?
    "What, you think just because you need it means you have a right to take mine?"

Breakdown: Achiever 20.00%, Explorer 26.67%, Killer 93.33%, Socializer 60.00%

Quote Originally Posted by Methuselah View Post
    I should get ahead of the curve and ban you now then...

1000+

hehe

IGN: Kor Phaeron (EU)

5000+

Well played sir, well played.
    I have so many fans.

2000+ Long term follower

@TheVillageIdiot:

I agree with most of what you said, but I just feel that Apple/ATT is trying to sqeeze money out of the customers with evrey single APP they have. Sure there are free ones but conversely u can get free ones on the driod that you pay for with apple due to their "open" or semi open system. Sure it needs approval but that is more of a countermeasure against obscene apps imo.

Additionally ATT's coverage is horrendous. My friend has an iphone, his calls drop constantly and all too often he can't get a 3g signal. That's bullshit for 75 bucks imo. I don't think the droid is perfect at all, but as a Verizon customer I think its the best it has to offer, and better than the iphone for me.
    Killer 93% Socializer 53% Achiever 40% Explorer 13%

Gahahaha

Quote Originally Posted by Branwulf View Post
    Criminals will always get their weapons, it's the fucking lunatics that you should be worried about Colonist.
    Quote Originally Posted by United States Department of Education
    Give us the child for 8 years and it will be a Bolshevik forever.

Quote Originally Posted by Erratic View Post
    @TheVillageIdiot:

Additionally ATT's coverage is horrendous. My friend has an iphone, his calls drop constantly and all too often he can't get a 3g signal. That's bullshit for 75 bucks imo. I don't think the droid is perfect at all, but as a Verizon customer I think its the best it has to offer, and better than the iphone for me.
    This is an iPhone issue related to the Infineon chipset which has had multiple recalls.

While AT&T has a number of issues, coverage is not one of them.
    "I May be dumb, but I'm not stupid!"
    - The Village Idiot

1000+

pre.

webOS phones are coming to all carriers in q1 2010 - cdma & gsm - sprint, verizon & at&t - north america, south america, europe and asia.

sprint has the best digital network (period) - it turns out that if you are on verizon, you will automatically use sprints digital network when possible, and if you are on sprint, you get free roaming on verizons network - because sprint has a much better network, and verizon has a much bigger one. they are not allowed to market this, but ask any sales rep for either company.
    edit: oh yeah, sprint has the cheapest plans and FREE MOBILE TO ANY MOBILE ON ANY NETWORK

webOS is the only mobile OS with TRUE multitasking - it is a little linux computer running a front end built on web based technologies. the OS has been in development for 7 years now, and the guy that designed the imac and ipod took over 3 years ago.

it will be the first mobile OS to have full flash support,
    something the iphone will not be getting.
    Last edited by raja; 11-21-2009 at 00:58.

Tides of Darkness Clan Leader

Well played!
    Xinnro

Quote Originally Posted by Viluin View Post
    Xinnro, could you take a picture of yourself with the camera facing the side of your head and your tongue sticking out (Straight not curved)?