Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Normal User

Default What is Trade Route Logic?

well on the new darkfall twitter page: http://twitter.com/darkfallmmorpg

it says this: Working on the trade route logic, one of Darkfall's 'Conquer the Seas' new expansion features.

Now if there are going to be trade routes and caravaning in the expansion how will this work?
    I mean in full local banking it would just like eve, hauling items around and transporting goods between various towns and such. Very exciting and thrilling full of risk but trade routes add dynamic to the world.

Now darkfall still has full local banking except for the local bank that will be in your house.

So any ideas? how will trade routes work?

1000+

Either there will be FULL local banking or no one will ever use caravans, ships, etc... plain and simple. I really hate to say it but the whole system is a complete failure until then.

Normal User

Ya, I'm excited for caravans but don't see how they will be used without local banking.

BTW, it seems you do know what Trade Route Logic is, just asking how caravans works. Just in case you don't know it's calculating routes and shit like that.
    I Don't Bite, I Rant!

Normal User

Quote Originally Posted by lanigav View Post
    Either there will be FULL local banking or no one will ever use caravans, ships, etc... plain and simple. I really hate to say it but the whole system is a complete failure until then.
    Something I was thinking about was maybe all ships will have local banks.. so basically ships would be moving local banks and bigger ships can hold more while smaller ones have a stricter weight limit.
    And if ships where cheaper, cannon damage increase, and ships moved much faster I think a lot of people would love a moving local bank.

1000+

I doubt it is calculating routes, the game uses little to no AI of that sort. I'm sure it is along the lines of weighing risk vs reward... stuff like speed of the caravan mount, its health, how much it can carry, what happens if it is attacked, how much damage if any can it do....

Normal User

Quote Originally Posted by lanigav View Post
    I doubt it is calculating routes, the game uses little to no AI of that sort. I'm sure it is along the lines of weighing risk vs reward... stuff like speed of the caravan mount, its health, how much it can carry, what happens if it is attacked, how much damage if any can it do....
    Anything that moves in non-predetermined routes uses that stuff. IE all mobs. For the caravan to move from one place to another it needs to know how to get there.
    I Don't Bite, I Rant!

Normal User

Could be like Silkroad , you buy goods from NPC vendor at some price , you travel with caravan to other NPC , while protecting caravan from mobs/other players , and then sell goods to the other NPC vendor with some profit.

Normal User

Quote Originally Posted by Wizard123 View Post
    Could be like Silkroad , you buy goods from NPC vendor at some price , you travel with caravan to other NPC , while protecting caravan from mobs/other players , and then sell goods to the other NPC vendor with some profit.
    oh ya then DFO will have no economy lol, everyone will just travel to the vendor that gives the most money and avoid players all together. Also couldnt you just go to where ever the vendor is and withdraw your goods from the bank and sell them? why caravan all that way?

Eh there has to be real incentives for trade routes and i dont see them. maybe AV knows something we dont O.o

I wish full local banking was in D:
    Last edited by bartillo; 11-18-2009 at 22:30.

Normal User

Quote Originally Posted by bartillo View Post
    oh ya then DFO will have no economy lol, everyone will just travel to the vendor that gives the most money and avoid players all together. Also couldnt you just go to where ever the vendor is and withdraw your goods from the bank and sell them? why caravan all that way?

Eh there has to be real incentives for trade routes and i dont see them. maybe AV knows something we dont O.o

I wish full local banking was in D:
    Because it would be a new item that has no purpose other than to trade. Like Fine Mirdain Bows (Would really just be a large crate of packed bows). These items could be non transferable trough banks and sell for higher price in human lands. You would have to ship them in bulk, requiring a caravan to move them.

If somone attacks you they can complete the cravan.

Normal User

Caravans could be some kind of repeatable quest, you get "some gold + items" to protect a caravan from 1 to another city. Would ofcause have to cost some gold to make them do it, so that there is risk. someone kill your caravan, they get the gold you gave to make it start.

Normal User US1 Player

What I think this might mean is that you can link "local banks" by regularly running caravans along the "trade routes" between them.

Currently you can deposit items & gold in Sang @ Human lands and withdraw them out in Chary @ Elf lands.

Perhaps this new system will allow you to do the same thing if caravans are successfully running between the 2 cities on a regular basis.

Its interesting to note that AV's way of introducing new features is to take them away, the reintroduce them with a price. ex. jump shooting/casting.

Quote Originally Posted by bartillo View Post
    well on the new darkfall twitter page: http://twitter.com/darkfallmmorpg

it says this: Working on the trade route logic, one of Darkfall's 'Conquer the Seas' new expansion features.

Now if there are going to be trade routes and caravaning in the expansion how will this work?
    I mean in full local banking it would just like eve, hauling items around and transporting goods between various towns and such. Very exciting and thrilling full of risk but trade routes add dynamic to the world.

Now darkfall still has full local banking except for the local bank that will be in your house.

So any ideas? how will trade routes work?
    I dont have a clue on how this is gonna work, guess were just gonna have to wait and see.

Given that the name of the expansion is "Conquer the seas" could it not be possible that there could be plunderable NPC trading ships - this would be pretty awesome, as it would make ships useable in PvE - and would lead to more PVP on ships.

If they added quests to all villages, where they asked for materials of the type they don't have, but sell others(not so cheap).
    Then moving to villages and selling to NPCs is a viable choice, also you could get currency in other then money, transferring from one to another, for example.

A mining or logging village, would require food, fish, potatoes carrots and meat would be possible to sell there, for 3 fish, you would get 5 iron, now that might not be the best of example but I think you get the idea.

Then finding the right villages to move to to trade to get items would be a viable income.
    Traveling between these would be risky, so fish one night, you trade the fish for iron, trade it back to fish at another village and move between them and get a whole bunch, but they have a certain stock / day.

So say you can only trade a certain amount / hour, similar to the income to the clans holding the villages get their income each hour.

So a fish village would get 100 fish / hour.

The you can travel with 75 Iron and get 100 Fish.

Move to the Iron village, and get 133 Iron for that fish.

A 33% increase ratio if you move to the right village, but then again not all villages give the best, they should be furthest away from eachother to do so.

But limited to 100 / h, a stacking value until reset where it goes back to 0.

Buying would still be impossible, only trading, othervice economy would be thrown out of the window.
    Buying could be possible, but at insane price, what that would be, I dunno, it's easier to not sell just trade.

Quote Originally Posted by TradeCartel View Post
    I walk through the desolate NPC towns quite a bit and see obvious places where there's an Inn or an outdoor cafe, but I can't sit at the table with a group of adventurers in a tavern, have an ale, and share stories of my exploits
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CSSzpsU_wdA

Normal User

if the devs really want caravans and trade routes they should just do full local banking and stricter weight limits requiring you to use ships and wagons/pack mules for transporting goods
    Last edited by bartillo; 11-19-2009 at 06:39.