Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

Normal User

Default Might buy Darkfall, Undecided. (Help!)

So, I have been snooping around on the websites, forums and youtube videos of Darkfall Online. I like what I see, but I also find some things very disturbing. Just a few question that I'd like to have answered.

1. So if buy the game and create a new character, will I be ganked every ten seconds while walking around?

2. Will I be able to fight anyone and stand a decent chance if I'm not a higher level and don't have the best gear around?

3. I've heard there are high-death penalties, what are they exactly? How often do they occur?

4. If I'm walking around in town, will I get stabbed in the ass without the guards caring or do they help me out?

5. Do I -have- to be part of a clan in order to have any fun at all?

6. Can I take a transport to some other continent/area or do I have to walk every where I go?

7. I've been told that the game is fun for about three weeks then begins to become tedious. Is that the truth?

Just answer these questions as truthfully as you can.
    Last edited by Beebo379; 11-18-2009 at 00:14.

Quote Originally Posted by Beebo379 View Post
    So, I have been snooping around on the websites, forums and youtube videos of Darkfall Online. I like what I see, but I also find some things very disturbing. Just a few question that I'd like to have answered.

1. So if buy the game and create a new character, will I be ganked every ten seconds while walking around?

No. But it will happen. If you're not on your toes...

2. Will I be able to fight anyone and stand a decent chance if I'm not a higher level and don't have the best gear around?

Not against mages. Like in any MMO a level 5 won't beat a level 60. But you can always turtle up with a shield or try to make your getaway with your goblin loot!

3. I've heard there are high-death penalties, what are they exactly? How often do they occur?

No such thing.

4. If I'm walking around in town, will I get stabbed in the ass without the guards caring or do they help me out?

If the people stabbing your ass are enemies of your clan the city defense will /care. If they aren't the lazers will pewpew their asses.

Not really, but it does get lonely without one.

6. Can I take a transport to some other continent/area or do I have to walk every where I go?

You can recall to clan cities, use runestones or ride your mount. Runestones are a bit expensive and hard to come by.

7. I've been told that the game is fun for about three weeks then begins to become tedious. Is that the truth?

For some. For others not at all.

This is a general fact about mmo's... They all become tedious for some people, enjoyable for others.

There.

And by god, jesus, allah and zeus, don't use that guy above's link.
    Last edited by Emolas; 11-18-2009 at 00:30.

Normal User

Hm, alright. I see then. I've been told people who kill can loot you completely. Full looting or something like that. No such thing as that?

Hm, alright. I see then. I've been told people who kill can loot you completely. Full looting or something like that. No such thing as that?
    Yes that happens. Why would that be a problem?
    Last edited by xpiher; 11-18-2009 at 00:37.
    Turning Villages into Regional sources of Conflict and PvP hot Spots
    Xpiher's DF:UW Suggestion Thread

Thanks AV for fixing safe zones. It seems like the danger levels you talked about before beta were enough! Now FIX VILLAGES!

You can find your grave and take back your loot if the player didn't for some reason pick it up himself and maybe if you are lucky you find your killers tomb besides yours and take his loot too. You can call for help and other players get there in time before that player leaves and let you have your attackers loot if they wish, like his mount etc or his 20 sets of armor or 3000+ arrows he was carying because that other players didn't have a need for those. You never know what might happen next and to what every situation might turn out.
    This is Darkfall!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eZeYVIWz99I

3000+

Items are less built on collecting and more just built on using in this game. People don't always use their best stuff but often use what is available. Also this leads to meaningful pvp because if you know where people will be to farm things you can take whatever they have.. its not like killing noobs will pay well even if it is fun to kill kill them.
    Quote Originally Posted by Manifoldgodhead View Post
    Sometimes you're on top of the world sometimes you're not. You live, you learn and you keep coming back, because no persistent world I have ever played has offered anything like what DF offers.
    http://www.darkfallonline.com/buydar...D0751BDF5BDC2F

Normal User

Same as Eve + old UO, you lose everything you're carrying, you can store items in the bank though, so as long as you bank regularly you won't lose too much.

Also keep in mind that sooner or later you're going to be the one standing over someones, still warm, loot laden corpse

Quote Originally Posted by Squatch
    Penalties? Well, every time you die everything you have is left on your corpse and you go back to your bindstone. There are no other penalties.
    Everything in your backpack or on your body is dropped on your corpse. There are no soulbound items. You do have a bank that you can keep gear in though so it isn't like you lose everything your character has. In the end, this game isn't just about getting stuff. It is about getting stuff and surviving long enough to get it back to your bank or better yet, getting other people's stuff.
    I reject your reality and substitute my own.

The beatings will continue until morale improves.

Note: Darkfall moderators are not paid employees of Aventurine. In all business other than Darkfall Board moderating, our opinions are entirely our own, and do not represent official Aventurine opinions.

2000+

Quote Originally Posted by Squatch View Post
    Everything in your backpack or on your body is dropped on your corpse. There are no soulbound items. You do have a bank that you can keep gear in though so it isn't like you lose everything your character has. In the end, this game isn't just about getting stuff. It is about getting stuff and surviving long enough to get it back to your bank or better yet, getting other people's stuff.
    And the whole taking over the world thing. But I guess you need stuff for that.

1. So if buy the game and create a new character, will I be ganked every ten seconds while walking around?Sometimes, yes. Most of the time No.

2. Will I be able to fight anyone and stand a decent chance if I'm not a higher level and don't have the best gear around? The better gear, better skills, better stats increases your chances. If you don't develop your character you will be at a disadvantage so you will have to seek ways to even the odds if you aren't going to work on your character development

3. I've heard there are high-death penalties, what are they exactly? How often do they occur?Penalties? Well, every time you die everything you have is left on your corpse and you go back to your bindstone. There are no other penalties.

4. If I'm walking around in town, will I get stabbed in the ass without the guards caring or do they help me out? In NPC towns there are guard towers that will zap them if they aren't at war with you. Everywhere else, yes, you could get stabbed in the ass and there will be no repurcussions.

5. Do I -have- to be part of a clan in order to have any fun at all?That depends on what your definition of fun is. There are plenty of people who have a play style that is entertaining for them without a clan. Others can't have fun without a clan.

6. Can I take a transport to some other continent/area or do I have to walk every where I go? walk, ride mounts, sail ships. If you are somewhere and you can mark a rune (you have to have the skill) you can use that rune to teleport back. If you have a house you can also use it to transport you to the house as another form of transportation.

7. I've been told that the game is fun for about three weeks then begins to become tedious. Is that the truth? I've been having fun in this game since beta. It isn't for everyone and it can be frustrating but I live for the times where my adrenaline is pumping and I'm standing victorious even though those instances may be few and far between.

I'm just a member of the community and these opinions are my own experience. For the price of a night out of dinner and a movie you can give Darkfall a try. If you spend more than 3 hours playing and enjoying yourself then I would say it would be a better use of money and a good decision.
    I reject your reality and substitute my own.

The beatings will continue until morale improves.

Note: Darkfall moderators are not paid employees of Aventurine. In all business other than Darkfall Board moderating, our opinions are entirely our own, and do not represent official Aventurine opinions.

1. No, you can run around for hours without getting killed by people.

2. Gear dont have much to do with it, its more to give you the edge in combat. You will probably not be able to kill players that have played for a long time but you do stand a chance if you're really good!

3. The only death penalty is losing all the stuff you have on you!

4. Guard towers will attack anyone hitting you in a startertown unless you are at war with them

5. No, you can have fun solo. But you wont be able to do all the fun stuff that require many people!

6. you can mark runestones that are onetime use to any place you want.

7. Ive played since launch and i find the game more fun then ever!

Hope it helped a bit and you should give it a go!

Quote Originally Posted by Kab112 View Post
    Ps. Captain Kirk is awesome
    Quote Originally Posted by Heldy View Post
    Captain Kirk <3

Normal User

Thanks a whole bunch everyone. =) I'm really considering getting it now.

problem is we can't say if you have fun. We all have fun atm because its the type of game that we searched for. we like the risk we like the pvp......game hase changed alot since better and will change much more during next week. maybe we see the big sea battles or whatever with the next expansion and the fighting will also change alot.....so try it
    Darkfall Unholy Wars
    Playing Darkfall is the most fun I've ever had on a computer with my pants zipped up and both hands on the desk.

Normal User

If you are on the North American servers, check out the NEW clan. You'll be up and running in just a few days and you're sure to meet lots of other NEW and established players.

If you are out in the middle of nowhere by yourself, you might get ganked by reds or others of evil race. Near town just learning the game? Not really, no. You do have to be on your toes though.

In this game, you stand more of a chance just based off player skill than almost any other MMO on the market. A couple of weakish characters can take out a veteran if they're smart/play skillfully.

If you die, you drop all your loot, that's it.

If someone stabs you in a city, they will die before you do, unless its an undefended chaos city.

You do not have to be part of a clan. To see the meat of the game, the politics, the sieges and large battles, you benefit from a clan, but I myself have been solo the whole game, just grabbing a few people here and there, making my own adventures, doing quests, running from gankers, killing gankers, getting materials for a raft, making a house... its a sandbox.

You have to walk/ride/sail everywhere yourself, unless you find someone using a nexus or if you have a (rare) runestone.

As for the game getting old after 3 weeks, it depends on what you do. If you sit and grind killing goblins for 2 weeks, don't complain it's boring and there is no mob variety when you've never even left the starter zone (thats what most complainers do). It's a sandbox, go out and do whatever you want, use a little imagination.