Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default So, really, is it worth it.

Hey guys. I've been a WoW player for almost 4 years now, but I'm really getting tired about the endless grinding for gear, which is the only way to be better than anyone. Darkfall looks super-interesting, and the free-world gameplay and FPSRPG-style really seems nice.

But I'm a bit concerned about the gameplay and wether or not I can fit in, so I have a few questions I'd like answered by some experienced players, and if you have some experience from other MMO's like WoW, it'd be nice.

1) Is the game dominated by macro'ers/hackers like it was in the start?
    2) How hard is it to start up as a new player, do you get ganked 24/7?
    3) What do you mainly do in this game, is it just PvP? In WoW it's doing instances, raids, PvP, BG's, questing, leveling professions - what about this game? PvP 24/7 might drive me a bit tired, not to mention, how hard is that as a new player?
    4) Guilds etc. - is it easy to get into one, and get some help as a newcomer?
    5) What's the monthly subscription fee?
    6) Finally - your opinion, is this game worth it? No, really?

Thanks for taking your time, means a lot.

- Crucix

Normal User US1 Player

1: No. You will have to put work into your char, and more advanced chars do work better, but I have never macroed my char in any way, and I'm more than capable of dealing with 95% of the people I come across. Even if I couldn't, there is plenty of fun to be had in group pvp, where your char is only a part of the whole.
    2: The first 2 hrs of this game will most likely really really piss you off. Most people are pleasantly surprised by how smart the AI is, and also pissed about how hard it is to get anywhere as a noob. If you hang around starter towns, yes, you will get killed constantly. There are halfwits who think killing a noob for some coin and banded pieces is worthwhile.
    3: PvP is VERY important in this game. It's not like wow, where you come across someone, fight ends, its over. The politics of fights continue on for a long time. Most of the most interesting combat is had in and around player cities. Working as a guild to develop your city, then plot to take over someone elses, or work in a small raiding party to hit the most valuable assets possible and maximize your profit. Or go out and explore, the world is huge and interesting. Crafting is also pretty damn rewarding, if you spend the time to find people to buy what you're crafting.
    4: There are guilds for all sorts of peple, all over. I'd recommend checking out the recruitment forums and also look around at more than the first guild you see. Figure out if they sound like people you want to be around. In most cases, getting into a guild isnt hard, but for the more advanced and successful ones, they want you to know the game and have a developed char (sorta like high end raid guilds on wow)
    5: I believe its 12.99 usd. Could be wrong.
    6: this is the best game I've ever played. 9 years of UO, 3 years of WoW, lots of time spent on many other games, and this is the only game thats even come close to what I could call "perfect". Maybe not in execution, but the possibilities are amazing.

Normal User

1 yes some people still macro but that doesnt mean everyone does, I certainly never have. I have never seen anyone I could call a hacker, I'm sure there have been a couple and certainly there used to be exploits but there has never been as much hacking as people made out.

You dont necessarily get ganked 24/7 but it does happen, teaming up with a clan pretty fast will help.

There are no instances in DF, PvP is there whenever you want it if you know where to look, there are some quests but they are mainly starter type quests very useful for finding your way around and skilling up. Some people play purely for PvP, plenty like to craft and farm and try to get an economy going, (it's not quite there at the moment).

There are plenty of guilds that will happily take on a new person and help you no end.

Monthly sub is 11.7 euros or something, can't remember exactly.

My opinion is obviously biased as i love the game, but I think it rocks, personally I reckon if you make it through the first week you are hooked. Ask for help, ignore the idiots and play for fun and it's awesome.

Hope that helps, if you decide to go for it your always welcome to PM me for help when you start. In game name is Helgrr Dwarfbiter. Enjoy.
    Last edited by Helgrrr; 11-09-2009 at 19:25.

Quote Originally Posted by Crucix View Post
    No. Some macroing is going on of course.

You'll be fine. Just get some friends, join the clan.

3) What do you mainly do in this game, is it just PvP? In WoW it's doing instances, raids, PvP, BG's, questing, leveling professions - what about this game? PvP 24/7 might drive me a bit tired, not to mention, how hard is that as a new player?
    It's all there ( Except for instances ) ..
    PvE, Dungeons, Crafting, Exploring ( amazing world )...etc. Again, no instances though. It's one big world and you can run into anyone anywhere.

Yes. Look for the clan "NEW" . They have a 30 days newbie bootcamp I believe.

$15 ( 11 Euro on EU server ? )

6) Finally - your opinion, is this game worth it? No, really
    It's just a freaking game man You play it to have fun and there is a lot of fun to be had in DFO. What I can promise you is that you'll have a lot of Adrenalin rush moments you've never experienced in WoW.

With all that said once again I'll mention something that's said in every :"How's DFO?" topic. The game is not for everyone. If you find yourself rage quiting in other games or you're looking for a casual WoW type game DFO is not for you.

ps. I've been playing for about 6 months now and I"m still addicted.
    How to be Ray Pew[NA1]

My Videos Older vids

Quote Originally Posted by Tasos View Post
    drinking gets in the way of my lifting

Normal User

I have finally left the button mashing genre of MMO's and I must say: since Darkfall, I will never go back.

To pretty much summarize all of your questions, this game is very unique in many ways - it is much different probably than most games you have experienced. I sank around 4ish years into WoW, 3 years into Final Fantasy XI, and around 2 years into Eve Online, and countless amounts of time into various others, (AoC, EQ2, Vanguard, Lineage, korean trash), and this is the FIRST game that I have had a persistent amount of fun in. No matter what pros and cons you hear, or what reviews you read, you can never decide if I game is right for you until you play it yourself. Everyone has different play styles, and have different likes and dislikes.

This is the game I have been searching for. And coming from someone who is not an epic leet destroyer of worlds is saying a lot. I get my ass killed more than most, but it still makes me just want to go out and get some more.

5000+

Quote Originally Posted by crucix View Post
    1) is the game dominated by macro'ers/hackers like it was in the start?
    none at all
    2) how hard is it to start up as a new player, do you get ganked 24/7?
    it's not especially hard
    3) what do you mainly do in this game, is it just pvp? In wow it's doing instances, raids, pvp, bg's, questing, leveling professions - what about this game? Pvp 24/7 might drive me a bit tired, not to mention, how hard is that as a new player?
    4) guilds etc. - is it easy to get into one, and get some help as a newcomer?
    yeah
    5) what's the monthly subscription fee?
    14 euro
    6) finally - your opinion, is this game worth it? No, really?
    it's worth it

thanks for taking your time, means a lot.

- crucix

There are still folks who macro, but with the changes, pveing raises your skills faster, so its better to go out and hit mobs for the bonus than waste regs on thew all.

As an Alfar its easy, the newbie towns are deserted and you can hunt for hours with out seeing anyone. You will get ganked some times, but just stay near the newbie town and you can usually run to guards, at least till you are capable of fighting.

I have two friends who started when transfers went live, and they already caught my toon that played for 2 months at release.

There is a barrier you will need to break through to be able to pvp effectively. Anyone with good magic skills will tool you up pretty good at the start. In about 2 - 3 weeks of play you can be fairly competitive depending on play time.

As for what to do, this game is very similar to eve in that regards. Its open and you can do what you like. However, you have to create the content.

Think of it this way, WoW is like six flags or disney land. You pay your fee, and you can go in and ride the rides, however, after a time that gets boring...as you already rode them all.

With darkfall and EvE and other sandbox games, you pay your fee, and are taken to a giant sandbox where you can create your own rides to play with... however, many people get frustrated there as they arent used to having to create their own content.

Some folks like the freedom and the openness and some folks hate it. Depends on what type of person you are.

There are plenty of big guilds to get into... however one can debate on if those guilds are the type you want to be in. Most of the "Good" pvp guilds wont let you in right off the bat as your skills will be awful low. However, there are quite a few who would take you in.

Personally Id recommend starting off with NEW. You can find their link on the website in my signature, along with many other guild websites.

Standard 15 a month

For me, at the moment, its a fun game to play and worth the monthly fee. It isnt as polished as other games, and it definitely has its problems, but over all its worth playing.

- Crucix[/QUOTE]

3000+

Its awesome, I'm playing since beta and it never really bored me (until now.. waiting for expansion)
    Cyndane Vadin

Alright, sounds good to me, guess I'll give it a try.

That guild, NEW, is that on EU servers as well?

And does anyone have a definite answer to what the subscription fee is, Euro wise?

That guild, NEW, is that on EU servers as well?
    http://forums.darkfallonline.com/sho...d.php?t=220108

And does anyone have a definite answer to what the subscription fee is, Euro wise?
    Dont be lazy man.. the information is on darkfallonline.com web site...

The following information concerns the European Servers:
    First you have to download the game client which costs 42 Euro. Residents of the European Union are charged VAT 19% so the client download costs 49.98 Euro.

There is a monthly subscription to access the game servers and receive the latest updates to the game, its cost is 11.77 Euro, or 14.00 Euro for EU residents.
    Last edited by vanyok; 11-09-2009 at 20:31.
    How to be Ray Pew[NA1]

My Videos Older vids

Normal User

This game will give you both the best of times and the worst of time in an MMO.

Because unlike WoW, there's more risk involved at all times. Which means great adrenaline and more excitement. Building a stronger char is more than just cool gear in this game. It's about player skill, developed skills, reputation, clans to protect you, revenge and using the world as your battlefield.

With the new expansion coming shortly, now is the time to join. Start building your character before the masses get here, so you will be ready when they arrive

Maybe this little story will sway your decision...

I transfered my character to the US server yesterday. Which meant i had no gear. I harvested for a bit and made a few coin and regs from trolls. With no mount yet, I ran a good ways out to some fire elementals near a lava pit. Being an experienced player, but completely under-geared, i was cautious to scan my horizons after each kill in case travelers with bad intentions happened to roam by... after about my 5th kill i looked left to see a murderer dismounting on the top of a hill.

I began buffing, he began charging towards me. I knew with first glance this was an uneven fight. I was completely naked with a crappy staff, bow and a 1h sword (2h swords are my specialty) so melee was out of the question for this fight. As he crested over the next small hill back into my view i could see he was fully geared and ready to kill.

He had a few small hills (lava rocks) to cross before getting to me. I took the first shot. Corrosive blast from about 50 or 60m away.. a risky shot that required perfect timing. and i nailed him for 40 damage in the front He crested the last small hill and hit me with an inferno right off, i returned with acid rain. At this point I was winning, I dont think he expected this naked dude to engage with such high level magic. We exchanged a few more spells and I ran around some rocks to heal. As I came around the other side of the rocks I realized my opponent had predicted my movement and engaged me with melee... which would end in my death having no shield and no good melee weapons. I tried to kite him.. but was too out-geared and quite honestly, out-played.

I died.. heart racing.. disappointed, but still happy with my first good fight on the NA server.

Everything on me was lost.. but it wasn't much. That's the risk. If i had won I would have gotten all his gear.. and being naked with no gear at the time.. what a present that would have been!

The fact is, even though I was naked with horrible rank 0 weapons I still stood a chance.. i knew after the battle what I should have done right, and what i should have avoided.. I lost this one, but hopefully ill win the next. These are the types of situations in DF sometimes. WoW never had fights like this that required such skill, timing, tactics, etc.. thats just one of the many differences.. but its a big one. If you enjoy pvp the slightest, this is the MMO for you.
    :: Elric Atrophy ::

The Ugly truth of ForumFall - Credit: www.xkcd.com

Thumbs up

Good post samureyed
    How to be Ray Pew[NA1]

My Videos Older vids

Quote Originally Posted by vanyok View Post
    http://forums.darkfallonline.com/sho...d.php?t=220108
    Dont be lazy man.. the information is on darkfallonline.com web site...
    I have NO idea where you found this, I couldnt

Anyway, thanks for the great replies, I gotta try this.

Hey guys. I've been a WoW player for almost 4 years now, but I'm really getting tired about the endless grinding for gear, which is the only way to be better than anyone. Darkfall looks super-interesting, and the free-world gameplay and FPSRPG-style really seems nice.

But I'm a bit concerned about the gameplay and wether or not I can fit in, so I have a few questions I'd like answered by some experienced players, and if you have some experience from other MMO's like WoW, it'd be nice.

Thanks for taking your time, means a lot.

- Crucix
    1. Hackers exist like in any other gaming community, however I personally haven't seen any in the game. They never dominated the game, they provide you with unpleasant experience but Aventurine proved that they can detect and ban at least some of them. With my few years of clan experience I can't say the same thing with much more popular and "secured" games like Counter Strike or Call of Duty 4. I was a witness of the same hackers getting back on a server in less then 5 minutes after a ban.
    Macroing - Right now you level up your skills much faster then after the launch, especially on mobs ( 6 or 3 times faster I am not sure how it ended ) so there is a legit way of progression which doesn't make your eyes bleed.

2. In 4 months of game play I got ganked maybe 10 times ? That's not a huge problem if you know what are you doing. The world is huge and there is plenty of places to go to avoid constant ganking, you can always join a clan to get some protection, move in group so it easier to spot a danger or just watched out and run away from a lot of ambushes.

3. I will translate what you have said about WoW: "you can do pve, group pve, pvp, group pvp, quests ( which are basically pve with some poorly written story ), crafting and progress your character. DF has all of that, the only exception is less quests. In fact I would say that in the opposition to WoW can have no instances and permanent consequences of your actions: you can lose your gear or loot some, start less or more accidentally a war, lose a ship, a city or a hamlet. Hell you can build an empire or destroy one ! However I personally would love to see a bit more dynamic player driven content and from what I have seen they are working on it ( dynamic lore system or incoming expansion "Conquer the seas" ).

4. Yes, just make sure you pick people who have similar views to yours and you will enjoy yourself.

5. Yes

6. You will find it funny, but I quit DF few months ago from various reasons: too much grind, constant clicking while gathering and extreme HP advantage of mobs. Most of those problems have been addressed and mostly fixed. The last thing which really need addressing is conquest system, some of its problems will be addressed in incoming expansion, it is still hard to say now. I personally think that the conquest system ( cities, hamlets, sieges ) is a bit lacking. It doesn't really give you a daily purpose: fix a farm, defend your city from mobs, conquer and hold a mine somewhere in the wilderness and make you wait for big events like sieges. We need more content here, especially more casual pvp hotspots like present village system. Note I am a perfectionist type and I have over the top expectations, so ignore my whine about it. Mind that after DF I don't feel like any standard MMO anymore, for me despite its flaws DF blows them away.

1000+

1a) Definitely not. To be the best just takes simply that, being the best. There are tons of ways you can overcome your opponents in this game, and the many aspects of the game you can master at and become the best. I, for example, hardly macroed (AFK swam a bit in my old clan) but most of my "macroing" is attended (not even lieing, try and jump me while I macro spellchanting!) and merely used to overcome the tedius task of spam clicking.
    2a) This game definitely has a huge learning curve. From the beginning, you may want to quit. Stick it out for a few days, and ask everyone you run into about their clan, see if it has a nice attitude towards new players. If you plan no playing on the NA (North American) Server, then there is a clan called NEW which takes in new players for up to 30 days (i dont know if specific cases allow a longer staying time) where they teach you the basics, get you equipped, and get you some practice. It definitely may seem hard, but finding a good clan, and trying your best to succeed will earn you your position as a long-lasting member in the clan (we all started off shitty.)
    3a) Mainly PvP. Even while I PvE (mainly leveling up a few spells, testing the effects of new spells I receive, damage, etc.) I always expect a PvP encounter to begin at any time. Lag spikes are a big HINTHINT INC! ;P. But yes, the core part of the game is PvP. But the thing with the PvP in this type of game is it is all world PvP, other than duels or tournaments n such. Every encounter is different. WoW's PvP is (I've played it) queuing up for a 30-45 minute battleground, where you know hardly anyone, and no one cares about the fundamental goal. The thing with darkfall, is you end up learning EVERYONE's name, you play with them EVERY day, and every situation in PvP is different. Are you in a mob spawn? Are the numbers even? Is the terrain difficult for your squad of mount fighters? Or is it all flat and are you getting nuked to high heavens? It is ALWAYS different. Always.
    4a) There are different types of guilds in this game. The typical terms are "elite", "carebear", "scrub", "zerg", and "ARAC"/"Race Specific" are rarely used, since most clans, or guilds, go ARAC (AKA any race is allowed to join). The best ones for you will vary based on your experience in MMOs, and I actually mean being good, FPS Skill (twitch type skill, hand to eye coordination), play hours, what is FUN to you (crafting is often times actually FUN for certain people, the whole market/economy type thing haha). I suggest joining a clan that is rather large, where you matter as just a meat shield from the beginning (bad term, but you are 1 extra body to kill, no matter how easy or hard, that is up to you!), and later on you will become a valuable asset to your clan as a shot caller (one who calls the shots), a field AOElolSPAMMER, a tactical specialist, designing attacks on enemies beforehand, someone with a great knack for chatting it up with the allies in the fight, coordinating between many clans and whole empires (LOLRP), etc. You will get good, dont worry. Try all the clans out, you'll find one.
    5a) $15, the fun you obtain from playing, priceless.
    6a) Buy it. It will change your life, for better (You no longer are addicted to WoW) and/or for worse (You are now addicted to Darkfall).

PS: If you have any questions once you start playing send me a tell. I can't offer you a clan personally, but I know of many well skilled players that may help guide you on your way to becoming as good as me! :P

-Maiden Voyage (NA1 starter, hence the name... those stoners in 420 never understood...) teh Pwner wit a Bwner