Page 1 of 6 12 ... LastLast

Default Stargate Universe

Any good?

Quote Originally Posted by Branwulf View Post
    Criminals will always get their weapons, it's the fucking lunatics that you should be worried about Colonist.
    Quote Originally Posted by United States Department of Education
    Give us the child for 8 years and it will be a Bolshevik forever.

Normal User

nope
    <('.')> ^('.')^ ^('.')> <('.')^ v('.')> <('.')v v('.')v
    The banhammer dance, summons pissed of mod
    _______{}
    ^(>.<)^{}
    Quote Originally Posted by chernobog
    Because your tears sustain us.

1000+

It has its moments, but really though it's a travesty to the SG universe (universe here being the collection of the movies, series, fandom, etc).
    Quote Originally Posted by Ungraylessness
    Movies were once Picture Shows and Games were once fun.
    Quote Originally Posted by Brannoc
    Edit - Drink whiskey.

i like it, watching it right now.
    "Every government agency at every level is merely an administrative unit of the monolithic, fiat currency-fueled, Warfare/Welfare/Homeland Security Leviathan that must collapse – and the sooner, the better – if civilization is to recover." - William Norman Grigg

I saw the pilot then the follow up episode... Really nothing special. It's Battlestar galactica+Voyager mashed together... with a stargate.
    "Locked. Saying Scots have thievery in their genes is a no-no."

"That's like being the best cripple in the special Olympics."

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Caim View Post
    It has its moments, but really though it's a travesty to the SG universe (universe here being the collection of the movies, series, fandom, etc).
    Yea I still miss the original stargate series
    trick your eyes over ere...
    http://eyetricks.com/

Nothing to the original Stargate sg-1, but with that said it's still a decent science fiction show worth watching.

Yummy.

3000+

Quote Originally Posted by Wonderboy2402 View Post
    I saw the pilot then the follow up episode... Really nothing special. It's Battlestar galactica+Voyager mashed together... with a stargate.
    you forgot a spoonfull of Lost.

imo, its less shitty than the original SG series, but its still quite shitty. I cant figure out what Robert Carlyle was thinking when he decided to take part in this series of shit. Maybe he has ran out of money.

So far it's pretty much just one long, drawn out opening episode. If it actually reaches a point where it starts doing something serious plot-wise, then maybe I'll care. Until then, it's a shit stain on the mantel of Stargate that would be best replaced by the original show.

Even though nothing is happening in SG:U, it sure beats the shit out of the snoozefest SGA.
    Darkfall IRC: Server: irc.stratics.com Channel: #Darkfall

Quote Originally Posted by Brother Justin View Post
    Even though nothing is happening in SG:U, it sure beats the shit out of the snoozefest SGA.
    sooo true, but if you look at first ~6 episodes of SGA they looked good too , need to see how the season will end to judge, for now il just enjoy watching it
    Last edited by Laxe; 10-31-2009 at 10:40.

Possible spoilers.

Quick TL;DR answer to your question: maybe.

I'm 5 episodes into the season and it's pretty clear: it's not "Stargate". It doesn't have anything in common with the other series so far, other than that a stargate is featured. It's BSG with a stargate pretty much. They ripped off a lot, even camera movement and music.

There hardly is any action and the storyline progresses at a very, very slow speed.

It's hard to get to like the characters and only 2, maybe 3 stand out. Maybe. I wouldn't care at all if the others would die in a big explosion. And that's my main gripe with this series; it tries so hard to focus on the characters and drama between them, but it gives you no incentive to like most of them.

I have to watch and listen to endless speeches from random people I don't know or care about, being in the situation they're in, how bad they feel, how desperate they are, how sad they are, how they want to go home.. how they.. oh shut up and eject yourself out of an airlock. That shit works at the end of a season, or the next one, not during the first 3 episodes!

Where the other Stargate series would focus on the opportunities the cast has when finding themselves in a new and different situation, SG:U focuses on the negative drama, so far all the time. I wouldn't be surprised if they'd dedicate an episode to a castmember being gutted about having a hole in his sock.

Some of the storylines are just plain stupid and make no sense at all. The Senator's daughter out of nowhere involved with lieutenant what's his face, appearing as if they're lovers for several years. I laughed. Hard. Poor Eli though, aww.. Or maybe not.

There is room for improvement though. The premise is great and could have a lot of potential. Obviously the makers are still trying to find the right path. Or at least I hope. The next 5 episodes will make or break it for me. If the current shit keeps up, I won't be watching episode 11.

Darkfall Moderators are not paid employees of Aventurine.
    In all business our opinions are entirely our own, and do not represent official Aventurine opinions

4000+

Quote Originally Posted by Death's Chill View Post
    Nothing to the original Stargate sg-1, but with that said it's still a decent science fiction show worth watching.
    Its all garbage, the old and the new series (Especially the new one). It went downhill since they started fucking flying spaceships.
    Seriously, I can't believe they had fucking dragons and some merlin bullshit at one point.

I liked it better when it was simple.
    "Hey guys, lets go through this wierd ass portal to nowhere and see if we can find shit to shoot and blow up".
    Last edited by SSguy; 10-31-2009 at 15:43.

Normal User

SGU is absolute shite. Why did they have to rip off BSG, which was another shit show?
    SG-1 did not have any of this drama bullshit.

The new show to watch is Fringe.
    Deus Factus Sum.

1000+ Long term follower

Quote Originally Posted by Brainfreeze View Post
    I have to watch and listen to endless speeches from random people I don't know or care about, being in the situation they're in, how bad they feel, how desperate they are, how sad they are, how they want to go home.. how they.. oh shut up and eject yourself out of an airlock. That shit works at the end of a season, or the next one, not during the first 3 episodes!
    So true

Reminds me of another series which epicly failed recently due to the same problem - Defying Gravity

For some reason writers / producers lately (especially in the sci-fi genre) seem to have this fetish for in-depth character interaction, but with no actual character depth, and very little storyline and action

One of the reasons the original SG and the latest BSG were so good was because they had action first, character depth / background second, and character interaction last - the perfect mix

SGU is turning (or maybe has already turned) into another boring yawnfest Soap In Space. They have a very highly followed and almost unlimited story arc potential franchise, and they are pissing it into the wind. I remember one of the producers from SG1 (I think it was Peter DeLuise) saying that there was such limitless potential in the Stargate universe that you would barely scratch the surface after 50 seasons, let alone the 10 seasons he was involved in