Page 12 of 52 FirstFirst ... 211121322 ... LastLast

One easy fix : Greatly increase the mana cost of every r75+ spells ( so all fields aoe & big nukes)

But well, wait & see =)
    Last edited by Manik78; 09-29-2009 at 18:13.

Quote Originally Posted by Kasmos View Post
    Why does everyone think a skill cap wouldn't let you re-mold whatever you want as well? There are ways to implement skill caps that allow full ability of people to completely change what they're skilled in-game in.
    Well yeah I agree with you, skill cap wouldn't create classes. It would create classes as much as the system they are implementing actually.

Normal User US1 Player

I like this, but I'd still like to see some sort of penalty between magic schools. For instance, if you use fire magic, your water magic schools will have a reduced effectiveness for a certain duration. Perhaps even localization on the spells effectiveness; ie water spells have reduced effectivness in volcanic areas while fire magic is enhanced.

I agree that a skill cap is a bad idea, but there should be penalties for being a "do anything" character. It wouldn't take away from the characters (at least I feel they wouldn't) but would add a small amount of strategy to play.

It should not be about limiting characters, but penalizations should be taken into consideration.

That said, this archery stuff sounds pretty good. I'd still like to see specialty shots (burden shots, armour-piercing shots, seige arrows, etc) but this is a definite step in the right direction.

Normal User

Skill caps do not lock you into roles, because you can always change your focus towards something else.

And you say you are not locked into anything? If they allow you to change specialization on the dime, that makes it completely pointless and a clusterfuck.

If you add a timer, that's still pretty pointless unless it's a decent amount of time, and hence, even if for a few hours, days, whatever you're "locked" into a role.

If you add a cost requirement, is the cost going to go up the more you "respec" (funny how that word applies here)? Won't it get to a point where you are "locked" into a role until you get enough money?

There are also a lot of other ways this specialization system could "lock" you in, so again, I fail to see the major difference, unless your only leg to stand on is a "time" difference (i.e. time it takes to shift skill raising priorities vs. time it takes to get required money to respec vs. time it takes for cooldown to go through to change specialization vs. etc etc).

Well its good to see that atleast there is someone else that looks at this in the same way I do.

Quote Originally Posted by GRCPan View Post
    Well yeah I agree with you, skill cap wouldn't create classes. It would create classes as much as the system they are implementing actually.
    EXACTLY, which is why I'm waiting for an anti-skill cap supporter to explain to me the difference.... There will most certainly be "flavor of the month"s and classes with this system basing that statement off of how they just described it.

Normal User EU1 Player

Quote Originally Posted by Raghnar View Post
    By the way, increasing the dmg output is not the main concern of this game. Nerfing the dmg would be way more wise. The fights in darkfall got in the state of boriness just because they are way to fast. Fights with magic last what? 10 seconds if there is no obstacle or if the people know how to play.

There is no fun in killing someone in 10 seconds. People should able to get jumped, get to 50% life and if they are good enough they can win that fight. You can argue that peole can do that but, well, you have to be extremely good and smart and not everyone is like that.

The focus is wrong imo. They should nerf magic aoes and their dmg. The idea of making less dmg based on the aoe spot that the magic hit is pretty good. Closer, hard hits and far weak hits. That would DEMAND actual skill from a mage. Today if the person is dedicated and farm to get 4-5 R90 nukes and circle those nukes we all have to agree that he was smart to do that but this takes no skill at all.

Buffing the other sides ( melee and archery) is good but not the major problem. Magic being overpowered due the high damage and the aoe is. If they could just nerf magic while making those changes that would be perfect.

Anyway, this is just my opinion. But i dunno if you guys agree. Fights, at least for me, that lasted 10 minutes or so were way funnier and epic than jumping in a group and kill them in 1 minute or so.
    That.

1000+ US1 Player

Why does everyone think a skill cap wouldn't let you re-mold whatever you want as well? There are ways to implement skill caps that allow full ability of people to completely change what they're skilled in-game in.
    Because I'd have to sacrifice EVERYTHING I had worked hard for, just to "remold" my toon... which is stupid.

And the approach they are taking is not as radical as you and the rest of those in this thread bitching about skill caps are trying to make it out to be. This is incentives for specializing, not forcing full blown specialization down peoples throats.
    Last edited by Draxous; 09-29-2009 at 18:18.

EXACTLY, which is why I'm waiting for an anti-skill cap supporter to explain to me the difference.... There will most certainly be "flavor of the month"s and classes with this system basing that statement off of how they just described it.
    You can't put a skill cap when everyone has high skills, the only way would be to reset everyones combat skills to 0 but then increase by alot the skill gains because many people would be pissed to have to farm again to up their skills

Banned

Default game gonna die

global cooldown on all aoe's or game is gonna continue its death spiral.

end of discussion.

1000+ Long term follower

So implementing abilties that you have to choose between (specializations) is the solution to avoid implementing abilties you have to choose between (existing skills)?

Logic fail?

/facepalm

Armor for skill diversification please.

Or at the very least an active skill cap that can be changed daily. Just when I start having faith in AV again do they add things like 'aquatic shot' and return a previous mechanic like 'jump shot'. Mage killer is an interesting addition though.

Not to mention, the problem of spamming rank 100 AoEs still exists and was apparently completely ignored by devs.
    Last edited by Laz; 09-29-2009 at 18:21.

Normal User EU1 Player

EXACTLY, which is why I'm waiting for an anti-skill cap supporter to explain to me the difference....
    Well then, the difference is very simple:
    With a skill cap you would force people to choose a specialization.
    With the system they are aiming at now there is no one forcing you to choose archery over magic or vice versa. You could continue playing as you do now, with all skills and spells at 100 and using whatever you want whenever you want.

Thats the difference, and for me and a good bunch of other people thats all the difference that matters.

Quote Originally Posted by Darkbone View Post
    Well then, the difference is very simple:
    With a skill cap you would force people to choose a specialization.
    With the system they are aiming at now there is no one forcing you to choose archery over magic or vice versa. You could continue playing as you do now, with all skills and spells at 100 and using whatever you want whenever you want.

Thats the difference, and for me and a good bunch of other people thats all the difference that matters.
    Well, if you decide to not "specialize" in anything, aren't you going to be at some sort of a disadvantage to those that do?

Or, since this specialization is coming in and we KNOW won't be 100% balanced, isn't this just going to create flavors the month? The same thing people bitched that skill caps would create?

Again, skill caps can be implemented in such a way that changing "specialties" does not take a shit ton of money and/or time. For all we know, it's going to be just as hard (maybe monetarily instead of involving time) as switching what you focused on if the game had skill caps would be.

1000+ US1 Player

Quote Originally Posted by Laz View Post
    So implementing abilties that you have to choose between (specialization) is the solution to avoid implementing abilties you have to choose between (existing skills)?

Logic fail?

/facepalm

Armor for skill diversification please.
    Who said you had to choose any of those abilities? Rather, in being proficient (but not as much so) in both roles?

Rebuttle fail?

And armor for more skill diversification please - yes!

The more options the better. A skill cap is taking options completely off the table... which is the epic fail people keep skipping over when trying to promote skill caps. This approach, leaves all options open and pushes for the desired diversity so many claim.

/facepalm

1000+ US1 Player

Well, if you decide to not "specialize" in anything, aren't you going to be at some sort of a disadvantage to those that do?
    No.

If you specialize, you may have an advantage in one regard, but you have a disadvantage in another regard... that the person who did not specialize does not have.

Aka... balance.

Quote Originally Posted by Draxous View Post
    Because I'd have to sacrifice EVERYTHING I had worked hard for, just to "remold" my toon... which is stupid.
    What is EVERYTHING? Time? Money? If they implemented a system where your skills could only drop to 65-70 if you raised a certain amount of other skills PAST 75, I don't see how it would be ridiculous or how you'd have to "sacrifice EVERYTHING I had worked hard for" to spend "x" amount of time to switch focuses (i.e. from archery skills to melee).

Again, for all we know it could take time AND money to "switch" specializations.