Page 1 of 3 12 ... LastLast
    1000+ Long term follower

Default Tesco bans Jedi church founder for not sheathing his light saber

Jedi church founder thrown out of Tesco for refusing to remove his hood was left 'emotionally humiliated'

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...#ixzz0Roi4jQV6

The founder of the Jedi religion inspired by the Star Wars films was thrown out of a Tesco supermarket for wearing his distinctive brown hood.

Daniel Jones, 23, who has 500,000 followers worldwide, was told the hood flouted store rules and was ordered to remove it or leave the supermarket.

As a result Jones, who also goes by the Jedi name Morda Hehol, claims he has been 'victimised over his beliefs' and left 'emotionally humiliated' by the supermarket in Bangor, North Wales.

But Tesco hit back in the spirit of the epic space saga and claimed that the three most well known Jedi Knights in the Star Wars movies - Yoda, Obi-Wan Kenobi and Luke Skywalker - all appeared in public without their hoods.

Mr Jones, from Holyhead, said his religion dictated that he should wear the hood in public places and is considering legal action against the chain.

'It states in our Jedi doctrination that I can wear headwear. It just covers the back of my head,' he said.

'You have a choice of wearing headwear in your home or at work but you have to wear a cover for your head when you are in public.'

He said he'd gone to the store to buy something to eat during his lunch-break when staff approached him and ordered him to the checkout where they explained he would have to remove the offending hood or leave the store.

'They said: "Take it off", and I said "No, its part of my religion. It's part of my religious right." I gave them a Jedi church business card.'

Mr Jones claimed the store manager and staff were 'unco-operative' and left him feeling 'emotionally humiliated' for making fun of his beliefs.

'They weren't listening to me. They wasted my personal time. They were rude and not very nice to me. They had three people around me. It was intimidating.

'It was discrimination. They were making a joke against me. I was really upset. Nobody should be treated like that.

'We have 500,000 members in our church. It is a religion founded in Wales with a scripture and ceremonies'

Mr Jones has made an official complaint to Tesco, is considering a boycott of the store and is seeking legal advice.

A Tesco spokesperson said: 'He hasn't been banned. Jedis are very welcome to shop in our stores although we would ask them to remove their hoods.

'Obi-Wan Kenobi, Yoda and Luke Skywalker all appeared hoodless without ever going over to the Dark Side and we are only aware of the Emperor as one who never removed his hood.

'If Jedi walk around our stores with their hoods on, they'll miss lots of special offers.'
    I wonder what their policy would be if someone wanted to shop at Tesco in their Wookie costume...

Quote Originally Posted by Carnagel View Post
    Jedi church founder thrown out of Tesco for refusing to remove his hood was left 'emotionally humiliated'
    His religion is based on a bunch of character in a science fiction film...emotionally humiliated....the kid is probably emotionally underdeveloped.
    Wisdom Of Bots
    1, then tired, do not forget to smile; be anxious, but also pay attention to tone; no matter how tough, do not forget to adhere to; No matter how tired, but also love yourself.
    But we are jet modified and not faint-hearted of difficulties

Quote Originally Posted by Sqarak View Post
    His religion is based on a bunch of character in a science fiction film
    Ohhhh, you make it way too easy.

Quote Originally Posted by StaticBlack View Post
    Ohhhh, you make it way too easy.
    My point is, as opposed to other religions there is nothing mystical about it. The creator is as human as you and me.
    Jedi being a religion might make more sense in 3000 years when they don't know who Goe Lucias was.
    Last edited by Sqarak; 09-22-2009 at 08:41.
    Wisdom Of Bots
    1, then tired, do not forget to smile; be anxious, but also pay attention to tone; no matter how tough, do not forget to adhere to; No matter how tired, but also love yourself.

4000+ EU1 Player

My point is, as opposed to other religions there is nothing mystical about it. The creator is as human as you and me.
    Jedi being a religion might make more sense in 3000 years when they don't know who Goe Lucias was.
    L. Ron Hubbard?
    Deflation may be inevitable.
    Money disappears rather quickly once you start burning it for heat.

11,000+

Quote Originally Posted by Blixa View Post
    L. Ron Hubbard?
    Pow! Scientology 1: Common sense 0.
    Quote Originally Posted by Brannoc View Post
    You are clearly awesome.
    Quote Originally Posted by StainlessSteelRat View Post
    Being socially progressive does not make you 'advanced'.

Quote Originally Posted by Blixa View Post
    L. Ron Hubbard?
    Same goes for Scientology, never claimed otherwise.
    Wisdom Of Bots

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Carnagel View Post

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...#ixzz0Roi4jQV6

I wonder what their policy would be if someone wanted to shop at Tesco in their Wookie costume...
    God, I love the response Tesco gave. You don't see funny corporations anymore

Quote Originally Posted by kab112 View Post
    God, I love the response Tesco gave. You don't see funny corporations anymore
    http://www.funchem.com.hk/
    Wisdom Of Bots

1000+

Can you prove the jedis didnt exist in some galaxy far far away? its just as legit as those other dumbass religions.
    Last edited by The Dark Zealot; 09-22-2009 at 11:57.

4000+ EU1 Player

Same goes for Scientology, never claimed otherwise.
    But you know what would've happened if someone "offended" Scientology in this way, right?

Quote Originally Posted by The Dark Zealot View Post
    Can you prove the jedis didnt exist in some galaxy far far away? its just as legit as those other dumbass religions.
    this.
    Last edited by Blixa; 09-22-2009 at 12:08.
    Deflation may be inevitable.
    Money disappears rather quickly once you start burning it for heat.

His religion is based on a bunch of character in a science fiction film...emotionally humiliated....the kid is probably emotionally underdeveloped.
    It's still about as believable as any other religion.

2000+

You wonder what tesco had against him having his hood up anyway?

I'm wearing a hooded top right now - would I be chucked out if I put it up next time I go shopping?

That's exactly how other religions are.

Quote Originally Posted by Branwulf View Post
    Criminals will always get their weapons, it's the fucking lunatics that you should be worried about Colonist.
    Quote Originally Posted by United States Department of Education
    Give us the child for 8 years and it will be a Bolshevik forever.

Quote Originally Posted by Gloomrender View Post
    That's exactly how other religions are.
    Jezus was at least a real prophet. This cannot be said about Yoda.
    Wisdom Of Bots