Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    4000+ EU1 Player

Default Mount and Blade: Warband

Anyone else in? I got my invitation a few days ago and already saw a few from Hyperion online. So far, despite some annoying bugs, I have to say the game is a blast and it's been the most fun I've had in a game for a long time.
    Deflation may be inevitable.
    Money disappears rather quickly once you start burning it for heat.

Quote Originally Posted by Blixa View Post
    Anyone else in? I got my invitation a few days ago and already saw a few from Hyperion online. So far, despite some annoying bugs, I have to say the game is a blast and it's been the most fun I've had in a game for a long time.
    Is it closed beta stage ?
    How is combat in multiplayer ? Is it fluid and responsive ? Are you able to evade, block/parry and counter-attack etc ?
    Any interesting multiplayer modes, I heard about siege mode with actual siege weapons - not that DF joke with spamming magic, jumping over the walls.
    Do they have estimated release date ?

7000+ EU1 Player

Im very excited for this. I've talked to a few others that have played beta and they say its extremely fun.

Im still a little hazy as to how it will work. I guess you're allowed up to 64 people in a battle.

Does this mean an instanced battle with group v group? I guess that makes sense.

Do you have a leader rolling the group around the map or do you set up in a lobby?

These are a few things Id like to know.

Also, player equipment and builds. 1h/shield archery ftw? Or have they made it more complex?
    Last edited by Nunz; 09-06-2009 at 12:09.

4000+ EU1 Player

Quote Originally Posted by Yakamoz View Post
    Is it closed beta stage ?
    How is combat in multiplayer ? Is it fluid and responsive ? Are you able to evade, block/parry and counter-attack etc ?
    Any interesting multiplayer modes, I heard about siege mode with actual siege weapons - not that DF joke with spamming magic, jumping over the walls.
    Do they have estimated release date ?
    Yes, it's closed beta, but no NDA or anything like that. It began 2 weeks ago with a few US-servers, a few days ago I was invited as one of the first europeans. We can only test multiplayer at this stage, but it's really all I care for anyways
    There's basically no lag (we only tested smaller battles yet though, not too many players in yet) and evading, blocking/parry, etc is very important and you stand no chance without it.

There is a siege mode, but it's basically just capture the flag in the middle of the castle; it's very early beta though so who knows, maybe siege weapons come later.

Estimated release date is q1 2010 afaik.

Im very excited for this. I've talked to a few others that have played beta and they say its extremely fun.

Im still a little hazy as to how it will work. I guess you're allowed up to 64 people in a battle.

Does this mean an instanced battle with group v group? I guess that makes sense.
    y, it's very fun. And yes, 64 players is the maximum atm and it's always 1 group versus another. You have deathmatch (first team with 100 kills wins), battle (no respawning, team with last player(s) standing wins), siege (capture the flag in the middle of the castle), conquest (capture several points and get points by holding them or sth.). Maybe I'm forgetting one but I think that was all.

Do you have a leader rolling the group around the map or do you set up in a lobby?
    Nothing like this, you just join a server, pick a team (there's always 2 different factions), pick unit, equipment (you get to buy this, you start with 1000g and get more gold for staying alive any maybe killing other people) and then you press "done" and you spawn. It's a bit like Age of Chivalry in terms of communication except for there's no voice chat. So basically just normal chat.

Friendly fire is currently that if you hit a friend with an arrow, you take the damage yourself. No FF for melee.

Also, player equipment and builds. 1h/shield archery ftw? Or have they made it more complex?
    Every build really has advantages. Atm I'd say mounts are a bit OP when the map is not very hilly or inside a village, because you take quite a bit of damage when they just run over you. Archery can be pretty mean when you're able to aim so melee is a little underpowered atm (depending on the setup of course). Throwing axes are really useful though in contrast to vanilla.

PS: It's really hard to tell if hacks are being used or not. Some people hit so damn well that it's hard to believe they do that themselves, but on the other hand you can't really prove it and it's theoretically possible they just hit that well.
    Last edited by Blixa; 09-06-2009 at 13:31.

2000+

Very interesting stuff, thanks for the info blixa.

IRC Moderator

How about skills and weapon proficienices? Do you get to adjust those as well, do they automatically get adjusted according to weapons, or is it the same for everyone?

Do you have any rough examples of how much equipment costs? Can you get say, a horse, spear/lance, shield and decent armour for 1000g?
    Community staff are not paid employees of Aventurine. In all business our opinions are entirely our own, and do not represent official Aventurine opinions.

Also, not really an IRC moderator.

2000+

there was a thread about signing up for the beta. most here did so if none of us get it im going to get my tinfoil hat.

2000+

I've been in since day one.

Amazingly, the servers seem to handle the game extremely well, but the biggest problem facing Warband is balancing the different factions. There are also some problems with hitboxes that need to be addressed, especially the horse hitboxes, which seem to be totally messed up.

As for balancing, TaleWorlds added cavalry to both Rhodoks and Nords (if you've played M&B native before, you'll know they were purely foot soldiers), which some people in the community like or dislike. I personally don't like it, it seems like the easy way out of balancing a faction without horses, and it makes the factions too similar.

Just to get you guys familiarized, here are a few facts about the beta:

- Warband is basically like any first person shooter online game in that it has servers that you can choose from. Each server has different rules. You will be able to host your own servers once beta is complete, but for now, you can only join the servers TaleWorlds has set up in Europe and Eastern America.

- There are a few different types of game modes:

For one there is Deathmatch, which is straight out free-for-all. You can kill everyone and everyone can kill you, and a short 3 second respawn.

Team Deathmatch pits your team against the other team. Respawn timer is 3 seconds and the first team to 100 kills wins.

Battle is like Team Deathmatch except you do not respawn and the team to kill every member of the other team wins. There is a time limit, and if it runs out, the game is a draw. Winner gets 1 point, in the case of a draw, no one gets points.

Capture the flag has 3 second respawn and puts two teams against each other in a fight to capture the opposing team's flag and score it by rushing it to your base. Each flag capture nets you a point

Territory has six territories that are up for grabs for two teams. You receive points for controlling territories. The more territories you control, the faster you get points. The first team to get 100 points wins.

Siege is the newest game mode, however I haven't gotten a chance to play it yet. From what I've read on the forums, it's a mix between team deathmatch and territory. There's a castle that must be defended by one team, and attacked by the other. The infiltrators must capture the territory inside the castle in order to win. There is a respawn timer.

There may be more game modes coming out as well, and surely the modding community will come up with more.

- No skill advancement to this date. You gain weapons, armor, and better horses through a gold system, which resets after each game ends (games end in TDM, DM, and CTF by a server time limit. There is currently no way to "win" in these modes, unless you say the winner is whoever has the most points when the server resets the game). You gain gold by killing your enemies. In team games, you get points when teammates kill the enemy as well. To answer a question made on this thread, 1000g can get you some good weapons, but good armor will cost you a pretty penny. You'll have to wait till later rounds to get higher tier armor.

- What you can buy is determined by what class you play. Every faction has three classes, except for the Kheirgits, who have two. For the most part, each faction has at least one cavalry unit, a ground unit, and a ranged unit (which may be cavalry or ground). Each unit is limited to what they can buy (for example, a ranged unit will not be able to buy a Greatsword, and a foot soldier will not be able to buy a Warbow).

- Couched lance is a bit bugged at the moment, if you remember that from Mount&Blade. Most of the time hits won't register, so you're forced to thrust at enemies with spears and polearms.

- Friendly fire is in for arrows. Damage will be reflected to the person that shot the arrow, so yea, it means you can kill yourself. If you are a melee'r, then you need not fear friendly fire.

- Warband will probably be completely moddable, and this is probably the best thing about it. Remember all those mods of the single player Mount&Blade? Don't be surprised if some of them become mods of the multiplayer mode. This will probably be the biggest reason to purchase Warband.

As for my opinions on the game, I love it. I haven't really played in about a week due to other games and classes starting up, but I will definitely buy it the moment it is released. The mods will keep you entertained if Native Warband isn't enough.

I love the battles and team work required to win. Holding defensive positions and creating shield walls is actually effective and going solo WILL get you killed (no health packs lying around and you can get killed by one lance thrust or greatsword swing). If Darkfall had this kind of combat, I'd probably be still playing it.

Granted, it needs some work. For example, melee can sometimes turn into a block -> attack cycle that ends when one guy's shield finally breaks, but shields are not overpowered and can be broken in one or two hits if your weapon is big enough. Two handed fighting on manual block servers is always fun as well, and makes fights more about skill and less about a cycle. Also, a built in voice communication system would be an excellent addition, however I do not know if it is in Warband's future.

If you get into beta, I highly recommend giving it a try. Here is one of the better vids of Warband on YouTube. There are plenty others to watch as well if you want to see how troop and equipment selection works. This is just a vid of Battle mod, probably the community's favorite mode right now:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sxyqa5eFpts
    Last edited by Tzacharu; 09-07-2009 at 03:24.
    Quote Originally Posted by Carl Sagan
    For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.

Normal User

They just better allow you to get one hit kills if you can hit someone in the head with an arrow
    Last edited by Bombay1361; 09-07-2009 at 03:16.

meh, no map and campaign mode kind of makes me not want to play it, the battle mode grows boring in singleplayer mighty fast.

Darkfall Online renamed to Fighting Goblins Online
    http://forums.darkfallonline.com/showthread.php?t=86158

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Bombay1361 View Post
    They just better allow you to get one hit kills if you can hit someone in the head with an arrow
    Depends on how much health they have, and how much damage you actually do when everything factors in (armor, arrow/bow damage, skills etc) but you can very well one shot in vanilla... I don't see why not there.

4000+ EU1 Player

I have to correct Tzacharu on 1 point. Couched lance damage is not really bugged, they just changed the way you aim with it making it really, really hard in 3rd person (to effectively use it you have to go in 1st person).

And what's up with nords having cavalry, didn't notice it yet, but it's probably the scout class then (played the 2 other nord classes already). That really sucks.

The mount hitboxes are sadly really messed up making mounted combat really op. For instance, often you can hit through the mount and not do damage (tested on a standing mount) or you hit the shield of the riding person when you aim at the horse's feet (wtf). What I find to be most OP though lately is thrust lance. I've been using it alot lately and there's not much you can do against it (except foot soldiers with a lance, then it's pretty even).

Arrows and onehits... I think it's possible if your opponent isn't wearing any head-protection but otherwise I think you need at least 2 shots.

About the equipment. There are lowlevel types of most weapons (depending on the class) that cost nothing, but the really useful weapons cost lots. A courser (fast mount) is about 350g, the best lance islance 300g, the best shield 250g (higher for a few classes), good 1h sword 450g, etc. Especially in deathmatch it's often smarter to save some weapon gold and instead pick up items lying on the ground (you can only pick up weapons).

Banned

Too bad the world isn't static with real time sieges and battles all across the lands all the time.

I got into the closed beta about 2 weeks ago or so...

It really is alot of fun! I have been on when it has been 64 players, and it gets pretty epic especially on castle level.

Right now calvary are indeed very effective. Personally I favor the Vaegir's horseman: Bastard sword, Heavy lance, and 2 shields with a spirit horse... You pretty much wreck people not paying attention as you hit them in the flanks or from behind. I prefer using a thrust attack then the harder to use couching method (which relies on you lining up perfectly for a ride by kill).

Anyone on foot really has a hard time scoring points as high as a skilled player mounted on horseback. I have seen games where people have 22 kills, and maybe 1 death through all the rounds. I personally have had 18 and 3 deaths, so the power and mobility is really impressive.

Ranged classes are second best followed by of course infantry. Arrows CAN headshoot people, but it is rare and often a factor or shooting someone already low on health.

In terms of developing strategy and formations, they are possible. Turtling has become an increasing phenomenon and legitimate strategy against heavy horse reliant factions. Favorite spots are on bridges, in fenced in start zones or atop hills with the invisible wall behind them. Infantry armed with 1H / shields and 2H pole arms guard the archers.

So yea, it actually is very impressive with the ping situation. Being in the USA, i have a ping of 53! (or so it claims) and I do not see any lag at all. Maybe in 1 game i saw a single player teleporting / lagging with a ping of 700. Blocks and timing attacks are perfect with the current ping, no delays really or anything... they enabled manual blocking after having it automated and its definitely better.

Overall I will buy this game easily. It already is the current state better then its predecessor. Updates are weekly, and tweaks are being made.

In regards to faction units and balance, I hear people debating whether the khergits will get an infantry unit because they do need someone that can advance into melee on foot... even if they can dismount they don't have the armor or weapons for effective ground assault. Depending on the map, you can own or be dominated by the opposing side as khergits.

Vaegirs feel like the best faction atm.
    "Locked. Saying Scots have thievery in their genes is a no-no."

"That's like being the best cripple in the special Olympics."

IRC Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Nunz View Post

Uh what? Why are you talking about instances? Mount&Blade is a single player FPSRPG. This is an expansion that adds multiplayer battles. It's not remotely an MMO. Its like an FPS, join a server, kill some guys.

Community staff are not paid employees of Aventurine. In all business our opinions are entirely our own, and do not represent official Aventurine opinions.