Page 1 of 4 12 ... LastLast
    Normal User

Default Can something appear from nothing?

I've recently discussed Bhuddism, karma, and the concept of Yin and Yang with some friends - and it made a lot of sense. There is always an opposite of everything, for non-existance, there is existance.

If there is an empty void, there is a universe full of matter. When there is up, there is down etc etc.

So based on that principal, would that explain how things exist without a creator?

But then the question becomes, what created this law? And if it even existed?

Quote Originally Posted by Drift0ner View Post
    So based on that principal, would that explain how things exist without a creator?
    Our universe has always contained the building blocks to form stuff. Maybe before our universe existed there was nothing or maybe something different, but it is of no consequence as we live in this universe and no the universe is not fine tuned to us, we are fine tuned to the universe as the universe is older than us.
    Wisdom Of Bots
    1, then tired, do not forget to smile; be anxious, but also pay attention to tone; no matter how tough, do not forget to adhere to; No matter how tired, but also love yourself.
    But we are jet modified and not faint-hearted of difficulties

4000+

Your ramblings don't explain how the opposite of non-existence came to exist.

"Because non-existence exists, existence must exist?" Really? Are you retarded?

Quote Originally Posted by Skyborn View Post

Non-existence as a concept exists, but something that is non-existent doesn't exist as it is non-existent.

The OP doesn't understand the difference between a concept and a factual or spiritual opposite.
    Last edited by Sqarak; 08-26-2009 at 15:58.
    Wisdom Of Bots
    1, then tired, do not forget to smile; be anxious, but also pay attention to tone; no matter how tough, do not forget to adhere to; No matter how tired, but also love yourself.
    But we are jet modified and not faint-hearted of difficulties

As someone with a half-assed, second hand, rudimentary understanding of physics, it makes me cringe when religious people conclude that the universe "came from nothing", or "everything is on accident". There are physical processes underlying the existence of the universe that explain everything from It's creation, everything that happens in it, and on to It's plausible eventual non-existence. There's nothing "out of nothing" or "accidental" about the universe. This is basically just ignorance of Science.

Quote Originally Posted by Branwulf View Post
    Criminals will always get their weapons, it's the fucking lunatics that you should be worried about Colonist.
    Quote Originally Posted by United States Department of Education
    Give us the child for 8 years and it will be a Bolshevik forever.

1000+

Quote Originally Posted by Drift0ner View Post
    I've recently discussed Bhuddism, karma, and the concept of Yin and Yang with some friends - and it made a lot of sense. There is always an opposite of everything, for non-existance, there is existance.

If there is an empty void, there is a universe full of matter. When there is up, there is down etc etc.

But then the question becomes, what created this law? And if it even existed?
    Quote Originally Posted by Sqarak View Post
    Our universe has always contained the building blocks to form stuff. Maybe before our universe existed there was nothing or maybe something different, but it is of no consequence as we live in this universe and no the universe is not fine tuned to us, we are fine tuned to the universe as the universe is older than us.
    Quote Originally Posted by Skyborn View Post

Quote Originally Posted by Sqarak View Post
    Non-existence as a concept exists, but something that is non-existent doesn't exist as it is non-existent.

The OP doesn't understand the difference between a concept and a factual or spiritual opposite.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gloomrender View Post
    As someone with a half-assed, second hand, rudimentary understanding of physics, it makes me cringe when religious people conclude that the universe "came from nothing", or "everything is on accident". There are physical processes underlying the existence of the universe that explain everything from It's creation, everything that happens in it, and on to It's plausible eventual non-existence. There's nothing "out of nothing" or "accidental" about the universe. This is basically just ignorance of Science.
    Stop
    smoking
    that
    shit
    and
    give
    me
    some.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fro View Post
    This is off topic, if you don't like it get the fuck out.
    Quote Originally Posted by popsaregood230 View Post
    Kill 'em and grill 'em. Cannibalize these fat bitches.
    Quote Originally Posted by Darklily
    When you see a woman, do you lunge for her boobs or her brain? Only zombies go for women for their brains

1000+

Our theology teacher in school aid that we shouldn't believe a stupid scientist that says that the universe was probably created after a big bang,because it is too stupid to believe that a big bang will create a universe...

The irony is too strong in the above statement.

Quote Originally Posted by Spartan791 View Post
    Άντε ρε Τάσο τί θα γίνει με αυτό το παιχνίδι θα κυκλοφορήσει ποτέ?

1000+

Quote Originally Posted by Gloomrender View Post
    As someone with a half-assed, second hand, rudimentary understanding of physics, it makes me cringe when religious people conclude that the universe "came from nothing", or "everything is on accident". There are physical processes underlying the existence of the universe that explain everything from It's creation, everything that happens in it, and on to It's plausible eventual non-existence. There's nothing "out of nothing" or "accidental" about the universe.
    What a wonderful combination of ignorance and blind faith in a man-made social-intellectual institution collectively known as "science".

Becauz liek, empirical dataz conducterated inz a phisical univurse can toateleh disproove a metaphysical being, brah.

2000+

drop acid and ull see something appear from nothing.

2000+

Quote Originally Posted by nate4449 View Post
    What a wonderful combination of ignorance and blind faith in a man-made social-intellectual institution collectively known as "science".

Becauz liek, empirical dataz conducterated inz a phisical univurse can toateleh disproove a metaphysical being, brah.
    lern2epistemology

lol

mega troll

1000+

Quote Originally Posted by kingpin View Post
    lol

mega troll
    SHHH you! I'm going for 20+ pages of seething anit-religious hate!

The true forumfall will live again, I tells you!!11

2000+

SHHH you! I'm going for 20+ pages of seething anit-religious hate!

The true forumfall will live again, I tells you!!11
    I tried to feed the troll! I tried!

DAMN YOU FORUMFALL! WHY!!!!

As noted, an obvious lame troll attempt...I wasn't even talking about the existence or non-existence of "metaphysical beings"...

Quote Originally Posted by Branwulf View Post
    Criminals will always get their weapons, it's the fucking lunatics that you should be worried about Colonist.
    Quote Originally Posted by United States Department of Education
    Give us the child for 8 years and it will be a Bolshevik forever.

1000+

We need some new policies around here.

1. If you want to talk about religion then you have to bump an old thread.
    2. Ban anyone who bumps old religious threads.

"You know, Dick, if I had my way, I'd meet Rommel face to face; him in his [Hover]tank and me in [my Hover tank]. We'd meet out there somewhere [in our Hover tanks]... salute each other, maybe drink a toast, then we'd button up [our Hover tanks] and do battle. " - Patton