Page 1 of 9 12 ... LastLast

Default The FFXIV Thread

There's been an update, we now have the races and some classes.

From the pictures leaked so far, we can confirm the English spelling for 4 of the 5 races featured in the article.

First off, the familiar Humes from Final Fantasy XI are being reborn in XIV as Hyurans. Similar to the Humes in XI, the Hyurans make up the largest part of the population. The article states that they have gone through three large-scale migrations coming from nearby continents and various islands. Bringing new ideas and technology with them, they have become the driving force behind making Eorzea an advanced civilization. They value freedom in the sense of being free to do what they wish thanks to their diverse backgrounds with different languages and cultures stemming from different homelands. The race is now divided into two main groups: the Midlanders that settled in the plains and the Highlanders that settled on the plateaus of Eorzea.

Next, the Lalafells. They seem a little taller than their Tarutaru counterparts. The leaked pictures don’t contain any information we can confirm. Rumors from other Japanese websites and forum threads say that they are an intelligent race living in the area around the southern seas where they are active in agriculture. Rumors also suggest there are fewer female Lalafells than male ones.

Sorry for all those people who were hoping but there is still no confirmation of a playable male mithra-like character in FFXIV. Next up in our list is the Miqo’te. They are suited to be hunters due to their keen sense of smell and are very territorial with other Miqo’te. Because of this, even many of them that live in the cities live on their own. Like the Hyurans, they are divided into two main groups. Those active during the day are called Sun Seekers. The nocturnal Miqo’te are referred to as Moon Keepers. While it cannot be confirmed from the images, it is rumored that there are more female Miqo’te than male.

There are also no pictures of any female equivalents for the new tail-less Galka race known as Roegadyn. This race of burly strong men live near the northern seas. They often fill the role of soldiers or bodyguards. Being a seafaring race, some of them are even pirates. A lot of specific place names are mentioned but it is hard to make out exactly where they might be in relation to each other. There is also a very good chance that there are different branches of Roegadyn as well.

At this time, the least information is known about the race that is similar to the Elvaans of FFXI. Most Japanese sites are saying the name is Erezen with no mention of the English spelling. Rumors suggest that they do not get along with the Hyurans. Perhaps this is because the Erezen were originally in Eorzea before the Hyurans moved in. They also have very good hearing. I cannot confirm any of this information though because nothing is available in the leaked pictures.

Other rumors state that there is the chance that there could be other playable races as well. However, this is not something that can be confirmed at this time.

It seems that there is an interview that goes with the article as well. It confirms there will be slight differences in the abilities between races. One rumor states that in the part of the interview we can’t see, the developer says that the difference will not be as large as it was in FFXI. Also, your playable character will be nearly identical to what you see during the character creation process so they want you to take a good long look at the screen and take time selecting your character.

2) Customization!

Good news on this front. Players will be able to do some amount of customization to their character model. It’s not clear yet how much people will be able to customize their character but some things like hair style, skin color, and face will be customizable. Here’s to hoping for a wide wide range of customizable features.

3) The Armory System!

We’ve heard before that character growth will be heavily dependent on the weapons you use. Inline with that, they revealed the Armory System. There are four large categories: Fighter, Sorcerer, Gatherer, and Crafter. These categories are broken down further into various classes. Specific information has not been released on how many classes will be in each category but some examples have been given so far.

Crafter

Blacksmith and Chef
    Sorcerer

Shaman and Illusionist
    Gatherer

Fisherman and Horticulturalist
    Fighter

Swordsmen and Archer

The write up of the article makes it sound like you change your class by changing your weapon. Other rumors include the fact that you will be able to change your class anywhere at anytime. Also, they are looking into allowing you to master all of the categories.

There are other rumors floating around right now online as well. For example, they are looking into giving people some flexibility to customize the position of windows in the user interface. Another rumor states that weapons will be damaged overtime by using it in battles or such. How much of this is true and how much is mere rumor? We’ll have to wait until this weekend when the magazines are released.
    http://www.eorzeapedia.com/2009/08/0...aled/#more-309
    Quote Originally Posted by Merrin
    The hyped abomination has been slain by the hand of the righteous—let it rot in the pit of death and decay that it has prepared for itself.
    Official Human Advocate

I'm 1.000 in World Wars...

I must know: why do you keep posting these here? This is about the least likely group to care anywhere.
    Last edited by alfaroverall; 08-05-2009 at 20:22.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ozzy Wrong View Post
    [Alfar]'s like a Stephen Hawking rookie card.
    Quote Originally Posted by 1998altima View Post
    What if our imagination is a figment of the forums?
    Quote Originally Posted by YGOTAS#13
    Gay people like to hibernate in caves.

6000+

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by alfaroverall View Post
    I must know: why do you keep posting these here? This is about the least likely group to care anywhere.
    + over 9000!
    QFT -- survived JTT -- "little less hostile please" - Viranth -- Doc's radio

"I can't say what I want to, even if I'm not serious..." - TooL

Quote Originally Posted by alfaroverall View Post
    Well.....The classes look like the Shadowbane setup.
    The hyped abomination has been slain by the hand of the righteous—let it rot in the pit of death and decay that it has prepared for itself.
    Official Human Advocate

6000+

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by Honorius View Post
    Well.....The classes look like the Shadowbane setup.
    diaf of taru excrement!

out of curiosity, did you even play SB?

nothing about FF is similar, afaik...and comparing the two should get you an instant concrete enema while drowning in AIDS infested pus

just....stop....plz....

Quote Originally Posted by DocGonzo View Post
    diaf of taru excrement!

out of curiosity, did you even play SB?

nothing about FF is similar, afaik...and comparing the two should get you an instant concrete enema while drowning in AIDS infested pus

just....stop....plz....
    I played Shadowbane for about 3 months. It's not similar in any way.

Found a better source of info.

Areas:
    In the region of Eorzea, there're three big towns: Uldaha in the desert, Gridania in the forest, and Rimsa-Rominsa in the seaside. There're pirates in the latter one. Developers promise to give a story to each inhabitant of these towns. Currency will once again be called "gil".

Time/Weather:
    - Day-Night cycle.
    - 1 day Eorzea = 1 hour Earth
    - Weather changes.

Armory System:
    The game system is named the "Armory System", it depends on character's equipment. To change play style, you need to change equipment parts: this modification is executed in real time.

For example, if you're invited to join a team of warriors to fight the enemies, you only need to wear the corresponding equipment to be ready. Once the party disbanded, you only need to change equipment to come back as a crafter, fisherman, etc.

This freedom will make the solo play easier since a warrior who wants to be cured can change into a healer himself. Thereof the number of inventory's slots is more important than FFXI. The developers thought about an easier way to change equipment.

To get more powerful in each specifications, it is advised to balance out the equipment parts between them. In FFXIV, the equipment's level is essential, even more than the character's level itself. The developers insist once again on the huge freedom of this system wherer change can be made whenever. That's probably why the name of the jobs are more neutral than FFXI. The game's team has deliberately chosen to avoid the usual job class.

- you can change jobs and lifestyles freely
    - by changing your weapon, you are essneitally changing jobs, and can do so anywhere
    - so if you are invited to a PT and there are a lot of fighters, you can switch to a caster, then when your adventures are over, go fishing or synth some stuff
    - weapons and def gear all have their own merit. if you want to hone a particular skill, you can coordinate your equipment in that direction
    - rather than character levels and skills, the main thing is the skill of the item you are holding
    - you can play on your own and switch between fighter and caster to heal yourself, so soloing is easy
    - changing is as simple as changing your weapon, so there's no stress
    - typical jobs of the FF series, e.g. warrior and black mage, are being avoided
    - you can basically enjoy this world in any way you want. (me: freedom seems to be the main point here)

Battle:
    Fights are in real-time although the developers point out they won't be the "action" type.
    In FFXIV, fights won't be only target and engage the enemy! You'll need to think to other parameters but no more details yet. (the magical barrier in the trailer?)

The items' resistance will be reduced through their use.

Guild System:
    In FFXIV, guilds delivers licenses/permits to players. These illustrated (and beautiful?) cards match with the missions the character has to fulfill. The players will be able to share these permits (having the card or not) and even decide on the number of persons who can participate to the mission.

The game will be irrelevant to the level of each players but some permits can't be obtained before a definite level. These tasks would take 30min~ to be fulfilled, even if some of them will be shorter. Of course, you can carry several permits at the same time.

Those missions will have different and various goals: monster hunting, enemies' raid, skill ups... These operations are called "etherites" (?) and will allow you to be instantly teleported to the specified area.

- these are passes of trust you obtain from guilds
    - a Leave is not a quest. it's a card.
    - you can mix your Leaves with other players' Leaves
    - at the Adventurers' Guild, you can get Guild Leaves
    - there are Leaves that you can't get when your skill is low
    - typically a Leave will take 30 mins to complete, there are some shorter too
    - you can set the number of people needed to clear the Leave by yourself (seems to be like a difficulty level)
    - if one person is carrying a Leave, other players may join whether they have the same Leave or not
    - the contents of the Leave change after a week passes
    - you can carry multiple Leaves (they are card form, like invitations)
    - Guild Leaves are designed like Tarot cards and are really beautiful

Ethelite (sp?):
    - installations that can warp you to your adventuring spot instantly

Interview:
    - in Eorzea, the cities are not all on one connecting landmass, like they were in FFXI
    - the difference between races is not as big as FFXI
    - but their is a difference between male and females, which they are keeping secret
    - character creation: face, hair colour, eye colour, skin, etc. etc.
    - battles are realtime, but not action based
    - targeting an enemy and fighting (like FFXI) is not the main system, there will be a lot that you have to think about besides the target itself.
    - because of the armory system, they are going to make it possible to carry lots of stuff
    - there will also be stuff included that makes it easy to change gear
    - they're considering whether to let you master everything or not - there may be a see-saw like approach (like FFXI)
    - the base of the character growth is the weapon. use a weapon and raise your skills.
    - they are considering the option to let you arrange your windows how you want
    - weapons will degrade with use
    - Guild Leaves include monster hunting, expulsion, skilling up, etc etc
    - when you go on a Leave run, you can use Ethelite to take you where you need to go instantly
    - there are pirates in Rimsa
    - Miqo'te are more catlike
    - some trumpeting about how it's going to be an awesome game
    - right from the start, it'll be exciting and you'll be thinking "orly!?"
    - weather changes, day/night too
    - 1 game day = 1 earth hour
    - people who can only play an hour a day will still be able to enjoy the game
    - the monetary system is Gil
    - the people living in the cities all have their own backstory
    - you'll start the game from your home city (I guess it's based on race, but doesn't say implicitly).
    Official Human Advocate

1000+

Uhg... I don't even like single player Final Fantasy, and how people can stand a grind fest like an MMO FF is beyond me.
    Stop posting this shit.

My Picture
    Quote Originally Posted by 88Chaz88 View Post
    Simply not knowing things isn't retarded, not having the potential to learn these things is.
    Quote Originally Posted by Crazy Hermit View Post
    Wow you do belong here.

6000+

Cool

I played Shadowbane for about 3 months. It's not similar in any way.

3 months, eh?...so the answer is "not really"

you agree they are nto similar, then why the boneheaded statement about character classes, when what you have put up in no way resembles the SB systemics?

not that it matters...the essence of it all is really simple

STFU AND GTFO WITH THE FUCKING FF BULLSHIT CAREBEAR PIECE OF SHIT GAME IF ANYONE WANTED TO KNOW, THEY WOULD GO THERE...

this has been a public service announcement, in case of a real emergency you would have been instructed to place your head between your knees to kiss your ass good bye

Normal User

Quote Originally Posted by DoveAlexa View Post
    Uhg... I don't even like single player Final Fantasy, and how people can stand a grind fest like an MMO FF is beyond me.
    Stop posting this shit.
    DF is as grindy as any Asian MMO, so maybe this is the right place to post it.

4000+

Well, I played FFXI when it first came out for a long time. One thing can be said about it: it is a great grind game.

The community average age was around 30, the game was very difficult, and it had plenty of endgame. Those are some things that a lot of games (including Darkfall) lacked.

So say what you want about it. It kept my interest much longer than any other MMO to date.

If they manage to do pvp correctly next time, I imagine it will be even more fun (as long as they don't give in and make it too easy).
    Quote Originally Posted by killerchicken
    Yeah my original plan was to insult your name but then that would be like insulting boobs
    Quote Originally Posted by biggunsar
    ultimo. That guy is a professional fucking troll.

I won't buy darkfall, just because of that.

I'll give you some credit, Honorius: the first thread was good. There is probably a very tiny audience of people on these forums who didn't see E3 etc. and didn't know about FFXIV until you made a thread. Those people (if they exist), however, then promptly began reading the exact articles you've been posting. The remaining 99.99% of forumfall doesn't give a shit.

Also, what Ultimo said is true: FFXI does what it does quite well. It doesn't pull any punches, it doesn't try to fill a whole bunch of niches at once, etc. It just does what it does, and maintains a solid audience (I wouldn't even call it a niche game, as it has something like 500,000 subs).
    Last edited by alfaroverall; 08-05-2009 at 21:44.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ozzy Wrong View Post
    [Alfar]'s like a Stephen Hawking rookie card.
    Quote Originally Posted by 1998altima View Post
    What if our imagination is a figment of the forums?
    Quote Originally Posted by YGOTAS#13
    Gay people like to hibernate in caves.

1000+

Quote Originally Posted by Bosemann View Post
    DF is as grindy as any Asian MMO, so maybe this is the right place to post it.
    Darkfall has absolutely nothing to do with OT, so no, no it isn't.
    Last edited by gloryhound; 08-05-2009 at 21:51.
    Quote Originally Posted by jonyak View Post
    I open the window and start jerking off in front of him.

I then punch myself in the testicals, throw myself through the window and vomit on the guy.

I then pin him down and continue to masterbate on his face.

You people always make me laugh.
    Official Human Advocate

1000+

You people always make me laugh.
    That's nice, anyways, I'll give you a cookie everyday for a month to stop posting 100-line long walls of text, too.

My Picture
    Quote Originally Posted by 88Chaz88 View Post
    Simply not knowing things isn't retarded, not having the potential to learn these things is.
    Quote Originally Posted by Crazy Hermit View Post
    Wow you do belong here.

Normal User

Quote Originally Posted by gloryhound View Post
    Darkfall has absolutely nothing to do with OT, so no, no it isn't.
    I beg to differ. Plenty of threads are made about games that fall at least into some of the general categories as Darkfall. You don't see threads for Luna, Hello Kitty Online, or Harvest Moon here do you? You do see threads for Planetside, Arma 2, Dynasty Warrios, and Aion. So FFXIV is not too far of a stretch. OT is still the OT of Darkfall, meaning that everyone at one point was at least interested in the concepts of the game and will often have similar tastes in other games therefore.