Page 1 of 6 12 ... LastLast
    6000+

Angry help! need 'puter gurus advice

ok...i got a virus on my rig...no big deal right?

malwarebytes found it first try and quarantined a bunch of stuff

checked with AVG, ran malwarebytes again and all seemed fine

until i went to shut down for the night, and it hung at the "windows is shutting down" screen for half an hour...still not shutting off until i hit the button and held it for 5 seconds (restart works ok, but slow coming back up)

so i unplugged form the net and tried it all again , i run XP media center service pack 3

still no joy...i tried everything i could think of...things just got worse, to the point where i can run firefox fine, but no other program that contacts the net works...i just downloaded DrWeb Cure it!, it downloaded fine but when i went ot run it "could not load engine" popped up

so i figured i would pull the trigger and just reformat...i have my boot disk (norton ghost)and a dvd with the drive image (the machine came from alienware, i know..but it was a gift 2 years ago)...and here's what really pissed me off

i put the boot cd in and restart, bios comes up, it boots from CD and tells me it is going to reformat...just hit any key to continue

and i can hit every key on the keyboard all day and it NEVER continues so i am unable to reformat

so, yer olde Doc has come to the repository of Wisdom and Flames seeking help

anybody got any ideas/suggestions/creative flames?

sound off like ya got a pair....and thanks in advance
    QFT -- survived JTT -- "little less hostile please" - Viranth -- Doc's radio

"I can't say what I want to, even if I'm not serious..." - TooL

1000+

Take it outside and run it over with your car.

SIIIIIGGGGGGGGGGHHHHH

GET ACRONIS

GET ACRONIS

GET ACRONIS

*im sure your resourceful and know where to find it. Its' very easy to find.
    If you can find universal restore add on. YOu can port yoru backup to ANY workstation. No matter what hardware. Becuase acronis is THAT good.

I have ported a dell server on scsi drives. To a new hp server with sata drives, and it took less than 20 min. Totally different hardware. Becuase i had teh universal restore add on for acronis. Its' THAT good.

ghost sucks cock
    .....okay. IT sucks large pustuous cock. IF you change any hard ware in your machine, with a ghost image. you always have a chance of blue screen or fuck up. With acronis. NOT ONE BLUE SCREEN.

Make backups of your IE favourites.
    reformat. Reinstall all your apps you use (with internet UNPLUGGED)
    install acronis and make a restore partition and create a backup on your harddrive (once that is done, and your finished. Port a backup to dvd).
    *if your workstation has no virus now. Just create the restore partition adn make a backup.

NOW plug in your workstation. Update everything and create another backup. call this back "second backup"
    The reason for this. If you feel your OS has been hacked. It's going to be hacked after the update. If you roll back to the "clean non internet image" and your still hacked. it's obviously a program you have that's compromised. Got it?

DONE.

jesus h christ. WHy doens't anyone listen.

Obviously you winners haven't figured it out. Dont' wait. Do what I am saying RIGHT NOW. because it's not a matter of IF you will be hit with a shitty virus, you can't fix. It's just a matter of when.

So do yourselves a favour. get off your lazy asses and follow these directions. One reboot and a f11 key. Any computer problems are solved.
    Last edited by biggunsar; 04-12-2009 at 18:32.

Banned

Sounds nasty. This is a long shot but clean the inside of your computer.

DrWeb, the one I use, would have sorted this out for you.

Banned

Would you happen to own a copy of windows XP or Vista? You can reformat your harddrive by booting with them

btw, try with a different keyboard, PS2 and USB. certian motherboards usually disable USB in bios, change it back in the bios settings "allow USB"
    Last edited by Betelguez; 04-12-2009 at 18:26.

5000+

Windows shut down not working isn't that uncommon. So why don't programs work, .NET framework messed up up or something? Or did you just forget to unblock it?

Can it be that the quarantines are causing the problem
    Last edited by Weeking; 04-12-2009 at 18:48.
    (color=#333333)(/color)

6000+

Cool

as i said, i have the dvd for my installation of windows, and the boot cd (which is a ghost cd, but it has always worked before)

the problem is i CANNOT get a keystroke to register when booting from the cd

it gets to that point where it tells you (warning, this will wipe your drive and do a clean install) which is what i fucking want it to do

at the bottom it says "press any key to continue"

no keystroke works, it won't continue, it won't format...just sits there

i have to remove the disc, then hold the on/off switch down for 5 seconds to shut down, then reboot

i tried DrWeb, but when i go to run it "the engine will not load"

/sigh

i have my bookmarks backed up, nothign else i care about that i can't install again

but i CANNOT format and install from the boot disc due to the keystroke not registering

no knows of this bit?

3000+

Is it only booting from that particular disk that it won't register keystrokes, or from any disk? Maybe your disk is fucked.
    You could try formatting with a GParted LiveCD instead. (though that wouldn't take care of reinstalling windows or whatever you're trying to do)

6000+

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by iza View Post
    Is it only booting from that particular disk that it won't register keystrokes, or from any disk? Maybe your disk is fucked.
    You could try formatting with a GParted LiveCD instead. (though that wouldn't take care of reinstalling windows or whatever you're trying to do)
    can't burn to cd, and nothing i download to help will actually load and run

this is a very insidious bug, the ONLY thing i can do is run firefox to browse

and that is the only boot cd i have, i've done it twice before, never any problems...i doubt it's the cd

it seems more like something is switched around so the keyboard won't load until AFTER bios when windows loads, then the keys work fine for loggin onto the computer etc...

but no response to either the f5 key to get into bios at startup or to start the format process

Quote Originally Posted by DocGonzo View Post
    can't burn to cd, and nothing i download to help will actually load and run

this is a very insidious bug, the ONLY thing i can do is run firefox to browse

and that is the only boot cd i have, i've done it twice before, never any problems...i doubt it's the cd

it seems more like something is switched around so the keyboard won't load until AFTER bios when windows loads, then the keys work fine for loggin onto the computer etc...

but no response to either the f5 key to get into bios at startup or to start the format process
    did you reseat the keyboard. Go buy a cheap 15 dollar serial keyboard (non usb) should be able to type then.

do you have a floppy disk installed in your computer? (i do, but i am old school)

if you do, go download win98 boot floppy from bootdisk.com.
    small program, run it. (if you can) find another computer if you need to. it will make a win98 floppy boot disk. Awesome tool.
    then reboot your rig with floppy set to boot first

then at the /:> prompt
    format c:
    bam done
    Last edited by biggunsar; 04-13-2009 at 01:52.

Doc! Don't die on me!

Darkfall Online renamed to Fighting Goblins Online
    http://forums.darkfallonline.com/showthread.php?t=86158

6000+

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by Vessol View Post
    Doc! Don't die on me!
    at work now...not dead yet, Vessol

still trying to figure that out, going to ask the admin here at work if he has any tricks

dude, GO BUY A PS2 KEYBOARD

at least you will get typing back.

6000+

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by biggunsar View Post
    dude, GO BUY A PS2 KEYBOARD

at least you will get typing back.
    i can type just fine once windows boots...just not when trying to load the boot cd

1000+

Quote Originally Posted by DocGonzo View Post
    i can type just fine once windows boots...just not when trying to load the boot cd
    have you enabled the usb keyboard from the bios?
    Quote Originally Posted by Fro View Post
    This is off topic, if you don't like it get the fuck out.
    Quote Originally Posted by popsaregood230 View Post
    Kill 'em and grill 'em. Cannibalize these fat bitches.
    Quote Originally Posted by Darklily
    When you see a woman, do you lunge for her boobs or her brain? Only zombies go for women for their brains