Page 1 of 19 1211 ... LastLast
    Banned

Default California bill to legalize marijuana.

California bill seeks to legalize marijuana
    By Jim Sanders
    The Sacramento Bee

Smoke weed — help the state?

Marijuana would be sold and taxed openly in California to adults 21 and older if legislation proposed Monday is signed into law.

Assemblyman Tom Ammiano, D-San Francisco, said his bill could generate big bucks for a cash-starved state while freeing law enforcement agencies to focus on worse crimes.

"I think there's a mentality throughout the state and the country that this isn't the highest priority – and that maybe we should start to reassess," he said.

Critics counter that it makes no sense for a Legislature so concerned about health that it has restricted use of trans fats in restaurants to legalize the smoking of a potentially harmful drug.

"I think substance abuse is just ruining our society," said Assemblyman Paul Cook, R-Yucca Valley. "I can't support that."

"I think it's a slippery slope," Assemblyman Tom Berryhill, R-Modesto, said of easing pot laws. "We'll do everything we can to defeat it."

Medical use of marijuana already is legal in California, but the new legislation would go a step further by allowing recreational use.

Assembly Bill 390 would charge cannabis wholesalers $5,000 initially and $2,500 annually for the right to distribute weed.

Retail outlets would pay fees of $50 per ounce of cannabis to generate revenue for drug education programs statewide.

The bill would prohibit cannabis near schools. It also would ban smoking it in public places or growing it in public view.

Before California could sell marijuana openly, however, it would have to persuade the federal government to alter its prohibition on pot.
    now other states are starting to follow california and propose bills to legalize marijuana. WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO.

please state your ignorant views on why weed is bad for you, when in reality its safer then all the alcohol, proscription drugs, energy drinks, aspirin, anything.

if shit gets passed, im moving.

Normal User

"I think substance abuse is just ruining our society," said Assemblyman Paul Cook, R-Yucca Valley. "I can't support that."
    Why some people think "fixing society" is their problem?

Normal User

nothing wrong with weed, except the fact that this bill wont pass, people would grow their own shit if it was legal, and the state would gain hardly any money.

this is just another hippy dream...not a bad dream, but in the end still a dream

Respect is Earned

3000+ Long term follower

Is this really going to work? I heard there was a problem with the medical marijuana in California. That it is legal at state level but still illegal at the federal level, so technically until federal law gets changed it's still illegal.
    Quote Originally Posted by Berhan
    less wrong than raping, but still wrong enough...

4000+

Quote Originally Posted by NewRage View Post
    Is this really going to work? I heard there was a problem with the medical marijuana in California. That it is legal at state level but still illegal at the federal level, so technically until federal law gets changed it's still illegal.
    Same everywhere, it's not a state problem though it's a federal one. Basically, regardless of what a state says, federal police can still completely ignore their laws and do what they want.

And yeah, Oregon has another one being promoted right now as well.

7000+

Quote Originally Posted by Alphabeta View Post
    nothing wrong with weed, except the fact that this bill wont pass, people would grow their own shit if it was legal, and the state would gain hardly any money.

this is just another hippy dream...not a bad dream, but in the end still a dream
    First, most could grow their own food, but they don't. Why? Because they are either too lazy, or have a competitive advantage doing something else. There would certainly be marketing and sales of marijuana if legalized. Besides, the vast economic potential of legalized marijuana is in the industrial use for the male part of the plant.

"Everytime you PK a newb, a breakdancer shitkicks a baby."-Goty

Normal User

Vanno is right, why would you waste time planting marijuana when you can work for one hour and buy some in the nearest bar

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Temet nosce View Post
    And yeah, Oregon has another one being promoted right now as well.
    fuck yeahhhhh thats what i wanted to hear. i knew oregon would take up a bill soon, i always figured we would be one of the first to pass something like this.

3000+

It won't make me smoke any more or any less.
    Quote Originally Posted by dakara View Post
    Obama will be a good president...hes just learning the ropes right now.

Infraction points counter: 160

Normal User

If Cali legalises, will we finally be able to talk about weed? Or will we have to wait for federal legalization? Or UN approval?

Banned

obama is changing it on the federal level... (supposedly)

Normal User

I hope it passes. Herb's not good for you unless you're sick, really. But, I'd much rather smoke a few spliffs on a Saturday night with friends than get shit faced if it were legal. It's a much better way to indulge yourself than drinking.
    And we will come from the shadows...

Normal User

"Herb" is good for you, alcohol is good for you. Contrary to popular belief, drugs are healthy and they make you a better person.

1000+

My ignorant view is.....FUCK YES!

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic. "
    "I'm sure the universe is full of intelligent life. It's just been too intelligent to come here."

Arthur C. Clark

Normal User

In holland there is a law against smoking so if u smoke regular 'smoke' in a coffee shop,or mix regular smoke with 'special',u get a 300e fine and the owner of the shop a 2k e fine.