Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Antitrust Laws

1000+

Default Antitrust Laws

http://www.capmag.com/article.asp?ID=5425

So, according to Antitrust laws how does one compete in this country? I think Antitrust laws should be abolished. Think of how the economy would be affected if companies would be forced to actually compete with one another...but hey that's America for you, we are riddled with pointless laws that do nothing to help.
    "yep my best friend .... running from the police... haveing a swissbank account living on my couch eating my food and getting me in trouble for harboring a fugative... best friend"

Normal User

Actually Anti-Trust Laws are there for help. Without them you would see about 6 more knock off companies pop up in each industry using the same process lowering prices to below production cost and bankrupting the companies.

Normal User

Quote Originally Posted by Charlie9 View Post
    Actually Anti-Trust Laws are there for help. Without them you would see about 6 more knock off companies pop up in each industry using the same process lowering prices to below production cost and bankrupting the companies.
    Such as it is in Hong Kong where there are no antitrust laws.... oh wait

14,000+

People who support anti-trust laws don't know the history of it. The only people who support it have bought into marxian theories of "predatory pricing" which is a joke since it hasn't been proven scientifically. The only entity which truly creates barriers to entry into an industry is government. If one just looks back a few hundred years ago it wouldn't be difficult to understand this wilth all the guilds that were sanctioned by government.

We also need to look no further in current present day examples where arbitrary regulations are set which allow for industries that have already settled and achieved an economies of scale to continue to operate while only having to endure minor extra costs from regulations which other firms attempting to enter the market have to be burdened with. Rendering them unable to compete with the larger firms which can afford the larger costs.

Of course the little horror stories of monopolists people create in their mind perpetuate this kind of idiotic thinking.
    Last edited by Killuminati; 03-03-2009 at 15:54.

7000+
    www.Forumfall.com Webmaster
    Long term follower

They have a different culture in HK. If we unleashed our already huge corporations, there's be zero competition in this country.

Quote Originally Posted by Killuminati View Post
    People who support anti-trust laws don't know the history of it. The only people who support it have bought into marxian theories of "predatory pricing" which is a joke since it hasn't been proven scientifically. The only entity which truly creates barriers to entry into an industry is government. If one just looks back a few hundred years ago it wouldn't be difficult to understand this wilth all the guilds that were sanctioned by government.

We also need to look no further in current present day examples where arbitrary regulations are set which allow for industries that have already settled and achieved an economies of scale to continue to operate while only having to endure minor extra costs from regulations which other firms attempting to enter the market have to be burdened with. Rendering them unable to compete with the larger firms which can afford the larger costs.

Of course the little horror stories of monopolists people create in their mind perpetuate this kind of idiotic thinking.
    Predatory pricing is not the only reason for antitrust laws.

Quote Originally Posted by Reigngod View Post
    Deductive reasoning has noing to do with logic. In fact deductive reasoning is illogical. Go define logic and come back to the discussion an educated man.

Normal User

Wouldn't you prove it mathmatically not scientificully? Right now Anti Trust enforces Monopolies, I believe in them 100% because of the proven things that happen when they don't exsist.

14,000+

Economics is a science. Do these proven things have any empirical data or are they floating ideas with no substance?

The objective, plain and simple, of anti trust policies are to prevent any company from becoming so big that its failure can bring down an economy.

Being against antitrust right now, during these current economic situation, shows how ignorant you are.

In fact, if anti trust laws were correctly enforced they would PROMOTE competition.

However, the recent inaction by the US government in anti trust matters has allowed poorly run giant companies like AIG, Ford, GM, and Chrystler to become so big and influential to the US economy that the failure or collapse of any 1 of these companies would spiral the economy. Therefor, the government is required to constantly bail out these garbage companies. They should have NEVER been allowed to get as big as they are, with as much influence over the economy.

The premise of this entire thread is absolutely wrong and 1 only needs look at the current economic problems world wide as evidence.

14,000+

yup, keep telling yourself that...promote competition

14,000+

yup, keep telling yourself that...promote competition
    I think promoting competition was the wrong choice of words for him. The laws help prevent the stifling of competition (standard oil), which could be phrased, misleadingly, as "promoting" more competition.

Tea-Bagging since 1995

Quote Originally Posted by Ches View Post
    Im voteing Obama
    Quote Originally Posted by Brannoc
    God damn newbie trolls...try harder next time.

2000+

Economics is a science. Do these proven things have any empirical data or are they floating ideas with no substance?
    Nobody has 'proven' anything about predatory pricing. Some people cooked up a model with some questionable assumptions (rational behaviour, expectation of rational behaviour, perfect information, etc), did some maths and since the result apparently corroborates the views of some pretty wealthy people, gained a career boost.

Nothing scientific in there I can assure you.

You may have won this round, Shads, but I'll have my revenge!
    -Surly

14,000+

Quote Originally Posted by Shads View Post
    Nobody has 'proven' anything about predatory pricing. Some people cooked up a model with some questionable assumptions (rational behaviour, expectation of rational behaviour, perfect information, etc), did some maths and since the result apparently corroborates the views of some pretty wealthy people, gained a career boost.

Nothing scientific in there I can assure you.
    I'm not talking about models proving what I explained. I'm talking about whether predatory pricing has any weight as a theory. Based upon history Standard Oil increased output and lowered prices after wiping out its competitors. That is evidence of an economies of scale not an attempt to monopolize. The delusional reasoning that lead to the supreme court case, NJ v. Standard Oil was pure marxist propaganda that the justices used to justify the breaking up of the "trust."

1000+

fucking morons, all of you

2000+

I'm not talking about models proving what I explained. I'm talking about whether predatory pricing has any weight as a theory. Based upon history Standard Oil increased output and lowered prices after wiping out its competitors. That is evidence of an economies of scale not an attempt to monopolize. The delusional reasoning that lead to the supreme court case, NJ v. Standard Oil was pure marxist propaganda that the justices used to justify the breaking up of the "trust."
    You are aware that there are such things as dis-economies of scale, right? Otherwise we'd be all working for the same corporation by now (actually this is a really scary thought).

You may have won this round, Shads, but I'll have my revenge!
    -Surly