Normal User

Default How the hell is this possible?

So, I was getting some really crappy download speeds and I thought maybe when I was fucking around with my router's security settings I did something horribly wrong and managed to slow my self down somehow.

So I unhooked my router and jacked-in directly to my modem, to my surprise I could no longer connect to the interwebz!

After a couple of hours of going through this n' that with my ISP they (Using "they" because I called multiple times for multiple opinions) came to the conclusion that my network card was fried.

So somehow, with my supposedly "broken" network card, I'm only able to connect to the internet while hard-wired to my router, how the hell is this possible?

Note: I'm not here for tech support, I plan on buying a network card in the next few days, I'm just curious as to what's going on.

1000+

They will tell you anything to get you off the phone. Plus if your posting on it right now then it works and they are full of fail.

Normal User

Did you reset your modem after disconnecting from the router and plugging your computer into the modem?

I know, I know it's one of those stupid questions that can be insulting to some people, but it happens.

I assume that since you have talked to your ISP constomer service this was already asked.

Banned

The snozberries taste like snozberries!
    Last edited by Toxic Waste; 01-14-2009 at 00:09.

Normal User

Quote Originally Posted by Girth View Post
    They will tell you anything to get you off the phone. Plus if your posting on it right now then it works and they are full of fail.
    Yeah, this is the same computer. But I have the router in now so I'm capable of making a connection.

Normal User

Quote Originally Posted by dpoulson View Post
    Did you reset your modem after disconnecting from the router and plugging your computer into the modem?

I know, I know it's one of those stupid questions that can be insulting to some people, but it happens.

I assume beings you talked to your ISP constomer service this was already asked
    Indeed I did.

3000+

The modem was likely in bridge mode, forwarding the internet settings to your router.

Normal User

check your IP setitngs / DHCP. Most likely the omdem was forwarding settings to the router

For example, with the connection you had with the router, you could have setup a subnet using 192.168.0.xxx but then you plug into the modem directly that might be using 192.168.1.xxx. The router and modem can talk to each other through the gateway, but the PC could not talk directly to the modem.

Two things:
    1) while connected find your modems IP address. Most are 192.168.1.1 or 192.168.0.1. Open that site in an internet browser to log into your modem and check the config settings and make sure the PC is setup to see it.

2) While connected directly to the modem:
    Start > Run > cmd, Enter
    ipconfig /renew
    then
    ping 127.0.0.1
    ping 192.168.1.1 or whatever the router address is.

If you can ping 127.0.0.1 then your NIC is fine and your connection to the modem is not setup correctly.

NEVER listen to dumb fuck ISP help desk, they are lazy ass ITT Tech certificate holders who think they are special.

Normal User

Quote Originally Posted by Girth View Post
    Lol, I completely agree with this. I just recently upgraded from a 8mb connection to a 20mb at my home, but I was only getting about 6-8mb after the upgrade. The tech came to my house and started to feed me some bs at first, then tried to take off without even looking into the problem.

Banned

snozberries

In Roald Dahl's Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, Willie Wonka mentions licking snozberries. What most people don't know is that in one of Dahl's adult books, snozberry is a euphamism for penis. He was slipping dirty humor into a kid's book for his private amusement.

Normal User

Quote Originally Posted by Toxic Waste View Post
    snozberries

In Roald Dahl's Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, Willie Wonka mentions licking snozberries. What most people don't know is that in one of Dahl's adult books, snozberry is a euphamism for penis. He was slipping dirty humor into a kid's book for his private amusement.
    Very interesting.

By the by teh intarwebz is teh pwn nao.

14,000+

Quote Originally Posted by Toxic Waste View Post
    The snozberries taste like snozberries!
    You are freakin out, MANNNNNNNNNNN

Tea-Bagging since 1995

Quote Originally Posted by Ches View Post
    Im voteing Obama
    Quote Originally Posted by Brannoc
    God damn newbie trolls...try harder next time.

From my experience, which is far from fantastic, your modem is looking for the MAC address of your router and is not finding it. Unfortunately, this is the opposite of the easy way to fix the problem, which is when your modem is looking for the MAC address of your PC, in which case you can easily clone your PC's MAC address to the router with a couple clicks in the router's firmware.

tl;dr version: I don't quite know how to help you. Try your ISP; they work pretty well for me usually (it helps if you know exactly what you want them to do, which I generally do ).
    Last edited by alfaroverall; 01-14-2009 at 00:34.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ozzy Wrong View Post
    [Alfar]'s like a Stephen Hawking rookie card.
    Quote Originally Posted by 1998altima View Post
    What if our imagination is a figment of the forums?
    Quote Originally Posted by YGOTAS#13
    Gay people like to hibernate in caves.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by slypieguy View Post
    you are freakin out, mannnnnnnnnnn
    SNOZBERRlES!!!!
    Last edited by Toxic Waste; 01-14-2009 at 00:42.

They should change harbl on 4chan to snozberry, imo.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ozzy Wrong View Post
    [Alfar]'s like a Stephen Hawking rookie card.
    Quote Originally Posted by 1998altima View Post
    What if our imagination is a figment of the forums?
    Quote Originally Posted by YGOTAS#13
    Gay people like to hibernate in caves.