Page 1 of 4 12 ... LastLast
    2000+

Default What is it that gamers have against realism?

I'm just curious. I host the game and web servers for my clan, and every now and then I try to introduce "realism" mods, but every time I use the word "realism" instantly the hackles rise on the half the members of my clan. And it isn't only them, it seems every time someone uses the word "realism" someone takes offence.

I don't get it, I love "realism", the more realistic the better, as far as I am concerned. For me "realism" means challenge, and fun. So what is it about "realism" that pisses people off so consistently?
    Last edited by Llewen; 01-11-2009 at 01:46.

Victorious warriors win first and then go to war,
    while defeated warriors go to war first and then seek to win.
    - Sun Tzu -

Realistic games are the shit.

1000+

Reality sucks.

No magic, no dragons, and whoever implemented permadeath is a fucking asshole.

Quote Originally Posted by Llewen View Post
    I'm just curious. I host the servers for my clan, and every time I use the word "realism" instantly the hackles rise on the half the members of my clan. And it isn't only them, it seems every time someone uses the word "realism" someone takes offence.

I don't get it, I love "realism", the more realistic the better, as far as I am concerned. For me "realism" means challenge, and fun. So what is it about "realism" that pisses people off so consistently?

I agree. People just can't make the distinction between the kind of realism that is desirable in a game, and realism that isn't (Like having to go take a piss every time you drink a potion)

But a certain amount of realism, within the realms of your fantasy world, is a good thing

3000+

Because most of your clan is probably retards that try to escape reality by playing video games. Don't worry, a lot of care bears do this.

2000+

If you like realism, get BF2 and then get the Project Reality mod to it.

ontopic: Retarded clan mates.

Moe Lester

Normal User

I'm just curious. I host the game and web servers for my clan, and every now and then I try to introduce "realism" mods, but every time I use the word "realism" instantly the hackles rise on the half the members of my clan. And it isn't only them, it seems every time someone uses the word "realism" someone takes offence.

So you would enjoy being killed by just one hit of an arror? Or die a slow painfull death as one sword-hit pierced the inner parts of you? Have to delete your character because it dies?

5000+

Realism can kill certain games, and make others fun. There's a fine line between realism making a game more fun, and utterly killing any and all fun. Think of an FPS with a campaign. You die once, you can't play the campaign anymore, ever. You die online, you're not allowed to play anymore. Of course these are extreme examples, but even less extreme examples prove the point. Realism has it's place, but it should never trump fun.
    I have so many fans.

Normal User

I don't mind some realistic aspects but I dislike games that withhold a lot of information or limit communication because, despite being realistic, it just widens the gap between legitimate players and people who cheat and use h4x or other 3rd party programs.
    Spoiler

Normal User

Depends on the game genre and type. Modern FPS games are meant to be realistic. Fantasy RPG games not.
    3 Day ban for my b r u t e signature link. 卐Nazi mods卐
    (Stupid censoring)
    Doomsday comes with me.
    Saga

Normal User

Personally I think a game should be enjoyable, if you're gonna introduce realism for the sake of realism at expense of gameplay, it'd just be silly.

For example, try to slow down a game like Unreal Tournament, give everyone one to two guns since you can't really carry that much, make walljumping impossible, give everyone a single jump and implement breaking your ankle on every minor ledge you jump, and like someone above mentioned, give everyone a single life per map played.

¬_¬

2000+

For me it's just a given, you don't sacrifice the game for the sake of realism, but realism when it is done well, adds so much to the intensity and challenge of a game. Anyway, clan night, and I gotta go, I'll pick this up tomorrow.

Victorious warriors win first and then go to war,
    while defeated warriors go to war first and then seek to win.
    - Sun Tzu -

A lot of reality often seems "cool" on paper, but in action it tends to lose its charm.

Normal User

Not to mention ... it is kinda hard to balance things around realism.

For me it's just a given, you don't sacrifice the game for the sake of realism, but realism when it is done well, adds so much to the intensity and challenge of a game. Anyway, clan night, and I gotta go, I'll pick this up tomorrow.
    I'm not sure what kind of realism are you trying to imply. Are you aware that realism includes doing boring tasks, like sleeping and eating occasionally?

Realism in a fantasy game? Here you go!
    Last edited by Lotharr; 01-11-2009 at 02:00.