View Poll Results: Do you think console games are getting more and more simplified

Voters
117. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

75 64.10%
  • No

13 11.11%
  • don't own a console

16 13.68%
  • bewbz

13 11.11%
Page 1 of 3 12 ... LastLast
    Normal User

Default Are console games getting more dumbed down

Perhaps not just console games but games in general seem to be getting dumbed down to me. Now I can't understand this trend when I thought the trend was now days that games are no longer just for kids but all ages so why the big push to make games more linear and basic action based.

I figured the older generation might appreciate a game that is not just push 3 buttons over and over, but maybe I got this backwards?

I have lost count of how many PS3 games I have played recently that are the same old square square square square square maybe throw in a circle squares square square square square square. And that is pretty much the whole game.

I know the controller has only so many buttons but shit... look at MGS4, a massive amount of buttons used in that game.

10,000+

If you weren't so dumbed down you'd understand that a games complexity has nothing to do with the button you push when you play them.

Darkfall is going to be an FPS, First Person Sworder, which means you're going to sword the first person you meet.

3000+

All games are dumbed down to appeal to the mass market, this is not news.

On occasion you will have a challenging game that uses half the keyboard or the entire gamepad, but those are rare, and priceless.
    The Original Guybrush Threepwood
    EU 1
    Jump quitting and ctrlaltdelendprocessing since 97.

5000+

Hell yes.

Do compare the old rpg's to todays rpg's and you'll see clear difference that proves my point.

Come, Unstoppable Eraser Rain.
    [DF Beta: Chimera Project - Alfar]
    [DF Release: ??? - ???? ]

I hate consoles...there are some good games on them. Gears of war 2, the first halo, prince of persia etc. but all it does to most people is make console fanbois out of them and then they will flame everyone who does not see the xbox 360 as their mighty and eternal god.

Normal User

Quote Originally Posted by Helgeran View Post
    If you weren't so dumbed down you'd understand that a games complexity has nothing to do with the button you push when you play them.
    Its not just the buttons though its the combat and gameplay in general.-----
    Eg. almost all of the LOTR console rpgs have been this way. God of war to a degree is the same, heavenly sword *yawn* new prince of persia again *yawn*
    Where has the imagination gone out of the combat dynamics.

Rise of the Argonauts, another title that looked promising but another title that uses the same linear square square square kill everything throughout the whole game style.

I used to be very anti consoles for a long time but now I am seeing a decline in PC releases and I got a $99 PS3 with my new TV so I figured I would get it if for a media center if nothing else. So far almost every game but MGS4 & SKATE has been a let down
    Last edited by Kinjo695; 01-10-2009 at 12:05.

Normal User

Obviously. I can throw up a NES and SNES emulator and list games that are 10x more difficult than anything released today. CoD4 on veteran was the most recent difficult game I've beaten through and through; and some of it was just luck. (Mile High Club anyone?.. jeez.)

As for LOTR, they have basically the same playabilty as say SNES beat 'em ups. Rival Turf being one that comes to mind. You could kick, punch, throw, and pickup weapons to hit with or throw and that was it. One animation for each option. I'd say it's more correct to be annoyed that they haven't improved on this formulae in the last 10 years, just the graphics.
    Last edited by LiqwidTrix; 01-10-2009 at 12:35.

10,000+

Quote Originally Posted by Kinjo695 View Post
    Its not just the buttons though its the combat and gameplay in general.-----
    Eg. almost all of the LOTR console rpgs have been this way. God of war to a degree is the same, heavenly sword *yawn* new prince of persia again *yawn*
    Where has the imagination gone out of the combat dynamics.

Rise of the Argonauts, another title that looked promising but another title that uses the same linear square square square kill everything throughout the whole game style.

I used to be very anti consoles for a long time but now I am seeing a decline in PC releases and I got a $99 PS3 with my new TV so I figured I would get it if for a media center if nothing else. So far almost every game but MGS4 & SKATE has been a let down
    Well, first you'd have to define the kind of complexity you're looking for. In single player games, unless there's a random element there is an optimal path you can take which is more or less easy to figure out. I can't believe you have played God of War and complain at the imagination of the combat dynamics (maybe if you played at the lowest difficulty level), sure it often boils down to a stupid banana pill fest but could you for example tear a cyclops eye out with your bare hands in Megaman?

To me, what matters in games is decision making. I want to make interesting decisions. I want to have a fair chance of predicting what different actions lead up to so I theoretically could run the entire game in a single run. I say theoretically because games where you actually succeed at that are too easy. Looks: I hate Metal Gear Solid as a game. It's funny if you play it as a self reflecting story book but as a stealth-action game it's horrible. I believe Thief 3 was released for console, you should play that game, it's hardly dumbed down even if it's tad easy.

Or just replay God of War on Hard or Insane, then you'll realise the complexity of it. Do it snap the neck of the gorgon and get mana or do I just beat her to a pulp and get XP?

PS. if you expected the LOTR games to be anything but rushed shit to leech off the movie license then you're just a victim of being gullible.
    Last edited by Helgeran; 01-10-2009 at 12:56.

Darkfall is going to be an FPS, First Person Sworder, which means you're going to sword the first person you meet.

Normal User

I thought I might anger some people by mentioning God of War. To be fair I think God of War series was the best of this genre, however I have never played any of them all the way through just because I get bored of that style of game, its a bit too simple for me- and by that I don't mean the difficulty I mean the linear style of gameplay.

Ever since God of War was a big hit though it seems most all story driven action titles are a badly done yawn fest of the same type of game.

I wouldn't go as far as saying MGS4 was a horrible stealth game, I think as a stealth game is holds its own, as a FPS style shooter it holds its own, as a Movie it more than holds its own, as a entertainment experience it is second to none IMO.

But I think we are getting side tracked talking about specific games, I think we can agree that simple is selling right now, God Of War started that.

My only question is why is simple selling when gamers should be getting older and better.

1000+

Quote Originally Posted by Kinjo695 View Post
    I thought I might anger some people by mentioning God of War. To be fair I think God of War series was the best of this genre, however I have never played any of them all the way through just because I get bored of that style of game, its a bit too simple for me- and by that I don't mean the difficulty I mean the linear style of gameplay.

Ever since God of War was a big hit though it seems most all story driven action titles are a badly done yawn fest of the same type of game.

I wouldn't go as far as saying MGS4 was a horrible stealth game, I think as a stealth game is holds its own, as a FPS style shooter it holds its own, as a Movie it more than holds its own, as a entertainment experience it is second to none IMO.

But I think we are getting side tracked talking about specific games, I think we can agree that simple is selling right now, God Of War started that.

My only question is why is simple selling when gamers should be getting older and better.
    Quick time events hurt it a lot from what I've heard.

Quote Originally Posted by Mordhak View Post
    Then why the fuck are you still here? You've got about as much of a face left as Kurt Cobain.

Community Staff

bewbz!

4000+

Quote Originally Posted by Sargon View Post
    bewbz!
    Hail and well met, my brother of the faith. Let us pray together to the great bewbz in the sky.

As for the topic... No fucking duh Op. Think it through, who were games made for back a decade or two ago? That's right, gamers. They were made for the enjoyment of people who were specifically into them. Now however, gaming is a fucking enormous industry with every game costing millions to make. So what do they do to make profit? They expand the user base. Make the games as simple as possible, make them appeal to the largest crowd (casual/non gamers), make them grant rapid satisfaction to ensure repeat customers...

Lets be honest, games made for gamers don't sell near as well. Whether critics love them or not, they just ain't gonna bring in the money. So even games designed with gamers in mind make "Concessions" to casuals.

Normal User

I can still remember my first console games, Tetris and Super Mario Bros. (NES). Compared to those, today's games are complexity impersonate. It's all about 'happy memories from the past', the further you look backwards in time, the better stuff seems to be.

Normal User

I thought it was from the beginning... :\

Ton cruo infuscomus marana da caecux.
    Our blood makes dark the death of the unbeliever.
    Mental healing will take you to a place with no meaning, that belongs to you.

Normal User

Quote Originally Posted by Pcheez View Post
    All games are dumbed down to appeal to the mass market, this is not news.

On occasion you will have a challenging game that uses half the keyboard or the entire gamepad, but those are rare, and priceless.
    Wow uses half the keyboard.