PDA

View Full Version : Tech Help: Outlook recieves empty meeting requests

Mulambo
01-05-2009, 22:24
So, I know this isn't the best place to post this probably, but I think there might be faster responses here than on a real tech forum. I know a lot of you are Information Systems Professionals, so help me out if you can please.

The Problem:

Outlook 2002 SP3 is not showing the body of meeting request messages. I thought it might be a problem with my AVG 7.5.552 (free). Another person in the office (running AVG 8.17 something) has the same exact problem, and another person (also running AVG 8.17something) gets the meeting requests intact and can see the body text of them.

This is annoying because I (and my other coworker) have to accept the meeting to see when it is. Any ideas of what is causing this?

Here is an example of the body of a typical meeting request message: No virus found in this incoming message.
Checked by AVG.
Version: 7.5.552 / Virus Database: 270.10.2/1876 - Release Date: 1/5/2009 9:44 AM

No virus found in this incoming message.
Checked by AVG.
Version: 7.5.552 / Virus Database: 270.10.2/1876 - Release Date: 1/5/2009 9:44 AM

Here is what the same meeting request message looks like on another coworker's computer that is working properly: When: Tuesday, January 06, 2009 8:00 AM-8:30 AM (GMT-08:00) Pacific Time (US & Canada).

Where: nowhere

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

test

SIGNATURE OF SENDER DELETED

All three computers have the AVG email scanner running (i checked), so maybe the offending setting is in outlook somewhere?

Anyway, if you have any suggestions I'd be grateful.

Thanks, poll unrelated.

Mulambo
01-05-2009, 22:43
Also: I just noticed that, for the coworker who has it working, they have a little meeting request icon next to the message in their inbox.

Me and the other guy who don't have it working properly get an envelope icon (the regular email icon). Wtf?

CaptainCrackers
01-05-2009, 22:59
your bosses hate you, so they send false meeting emails about real meetings, so that they can fire you when you're not showing up for the meeting..

Mulambo
01-05-2009, 23:05
your bosses hate you, so they send false meeting emails about real meetings, so that they can fire you when you're not showing up for the meeting..

This is what I thought at first, but there are two things wrong with this hypothesis:

1. I can send meeting invitations to myself. Both of the examples posted above were from a meeting invitation sent by me.

2. I can accept the meetings and they go into my calendar fine and send the reply. I just can't see wtf the meeting is about until I click accept, so I am always agreeing to meetings I know nothing about. So, if my bosses hated me, they'd be sending me meeting requests to the surface of the sun, or to a homosexual burlesque house, or something.

CaptainCrackers
01-05-2009, 23:11
they're trying to confuse you, soon you'll accept a meeting that's never going to take place and be it at the bosses house or something doesnt matter.
They'll soon say that forwarding emails from the company will be illegal due to industry spies.

Just wait for it, and remember i called it!

Villa
01-05-2009, 23:13
they're trying to confuse you, soon you'll accept a meeting that's never going to take place and be it at the bosses house or something doesnt matter.
They'll soon say that forwarding emails from the company will be illegal due to industry spies.

Both truth and fakt in this post.

Mulambo
01-05-2009, 23:21

Well, mission accomplished. I'm fucking confused.

TheHardProblem
01-05-2009, 23:34
Set up a 'rule' for AVG not to scan emails with a certain body or subject. And/or update your scanner.

Brezick
01-05-2009, 23:49
First try turning AVG off completely and have someone send a test meeting request. If it comes through, then AVG is the cause of the issue and it will be easy to just tweak AVG to make it work. If you are still having problems with AVG disabled, then there must be a service or process somewhere controlling a quarantine of email messages.

I really don't use AVG for more than simple VScan on secondary machines, so if there is a quarantine in the email options, there should be a whitelist option that you can add exceptions to.

Barbarossa
01-05-2009, 23:52
know a lot of you are Information Systems Professionals, so help me out if you can please.

No. You assume there are a lot of Information Systems Professionals here when in fact we have a lot of liars who are hopelessly unemployable here. :D

Sorry man.

rwp80
01-05-2009, 23:53
if my bosses hated me, they'd be sending me meeting requests to the surface of the sun, or to a homosexual burlesque house, or something.

This made me laugh.

Brezick
01-05-2009, 23:57
No. You assume there are a lot of Information Systems Professionals here when in fact we have a lot of liars who are hopelessly unemployable here. :D

Sorry man.

But it is nice to watch them blow it out there ass and make themselves look stupid.

Barbarossa
01-06-2009, 00:07
But it is nice to watch them blow it out there ass and make themselves look stupid.

true true.

Mulambo
01-06-2009, 07:27
thanks guys, avg was causing the problem.