PDA

View Full Version : Ultima Creator 'Probably' Returning to Fantasy Genre

Eisenhower-TP
01-03-2009, 20:05
I hope that RG thinks hard about classic Ultima Online before he gets going on his next medieval fantasy game.

Lets hope :sly:

http://www.shacknews.com/onearticle.x/56571

Shaehl
01-03-2009, 20:10
Isn't he dead? Or was that some other rpg creator I'm thinking of?

Erroneous
01-03-2009, 20:15
all of the good things about ultima online garriott did on accident koster was more with it, but hes lost it a bit.

Nevron
01-03-2009, 21:27
He's gonna make a Tabula Rasa with swords. In other words, it's gonna fail.

Honest Bill
01-03-2009, 21:29
Old

Aerias
01-03-2009, 21:33

I think you could be thinking of Gary Gygax who created Dungeons and Dragons.

DocGonzo
01-03-2009, 21:34

you are thinking of Gary Gygax...to whom all who love MMOs should pay homage to as the patron Saint of your genre

he , with some others, created Dungeons and Dragons from his miniature rules set called Chainmail

/history

as for Garriot...i was SO fucking disappointed that he wussed out with Tabula Rasa...caving in on the original concepts to the publishers that were scared of "risky" and wanted a nice , safe game...

we can only hope that his ride in space restored his testicular fortitude

Vessol
01-03-2009, 21:45
Eh, I love Richard Garriot, but I'd rather he returned and made Ultima X instead of a new MMORPG. Seriously, a new modern Ultima game with the gameplay of Ultima VII but 3D. I'd be like Oblivion, but 1000x better and with actually entertaining NPCs.

Niles
01-03-2009, 21:46
Old.

Patrician
01-03-2009, 21:47
Garriot? I've heard he's an astronaut now. No time for creating video games.

Aerias
01-03-2009, 21:49
Maybe ultima online 2?

Rokolith
01-03-2009, 21:50
Maybe going to outter space had some x-men-esque effect on his head to make him think about game development in a non-shitty way. All his games are about is level 1 to max with "kill this and that" quests along the way. The guy needs to innovate if he hopes to make another hit in this jaded market.

Vessol
01-03-2009, 21:50
Maybe ultima online 2?

He can't. EA holds the license for Ultima and Ultima Online.

DocGonzo
01-03-2009, 21:52

he could make it all about a japanese car mmo with ethical consequences...

call it, Altima Online

/hide

The Goatbreeder
01-03-2009, 21:55

damn those EA..why cant they all just... DIE

Odium
01-03-2009, 22:07
He's already been King and General. Next he'll make a religion based game so he can be Pope.

Khantrah
01-03-2009, 22:28
Tabula is shutting down eh? No surprise there. Garriot should stick to single player games.

Aerias
01-03-2009, 22:31
Tabula is shutting down eh? No surprise there. Garriot should stick to single player games.

I honestly doubt Garriott had much of a say over the development of that game. His name was obviously splashed over the cover much the same way as Tom Clancy is over books he hasn't written, in the aid to sell more of the product.

Khantrah
01-03-2009, 22:33
I honestly doubt Garriott had much of a say over the development of that game. His name was obviously splashed over the cover much the same way as Tom Clancy is over books he hasn't written, in the aid to sell more of the product.

Maybe, maybe not. He still put his name on it.

Saturday Saint
01-03-2009, 22:38
Old. As for Tabula Rasa dying, older than old.

Grim_Hellfire
01-03-2009, 23:04
SCI-fi dosen't wrk well

Everrest
01-04-2009, 00:12
Garriot is a hack. He's on record as supporting the whole Trammel transition of renaissance UO and believes that players only abuse freedom when its given to them.

He's a classic carebear lover and doesn't have any clue how to bring MMO gaming into a next gen market.

--my 2 cents.

Honest Bill
01-04-2009, 00:15
SCI-fi dosen't wrk well

It would if developers did it properly instead of being retards

jonyak
01-04-2009, 00:20
Garriot is a hack. He's on record as supporting the whole Trammel transition of renaissance UO and believes that players only abuse freedom when its given to them.

He's a classic carebear lover and doesn't have any clue how to bring MMO gaming into a next gen market.

--my 2 cents.

theres a bit of irony there...

and guess what.... what he said is totaly true... there is a reason trammel happened. if you cant see that you are very ignorant.

Everrest
01-04-2009, 00:50
theres a bit of irony there...

and guess what.... what he said is totaly true... there is a reason trammel happened. if you cant see that you are very ignorant.

I don't see the irony, nor do i believe his opinions are anywhere near "totally true".

I'll agree that its ignorant to assume that UO didn't need some tweaking, there were issues with player abuse and PVP consequences, but trammel most certainly wasn't the answer.

He's the type of designer that gives in to the lowest common denominator. Players (rightly) ask for changes or fixes to be made- but there were a whole spectrum of opinions on the subject and courses of action that could have been taken.

Garriot chose the Worst player group to listen to and completely closed his design philosophies toward player freedom and open PvP. He crippled UO with Trammel and was largely unrepentant for it.

To this day he still believes open PvP and player freedom are vices instead of virtues. He is scarred by the problems that UO had and has not been able to rise above them or offer a creative and workable fix.

Zushakon
01-04-2009, 00:53
damn those EA..why cant they all just... DIE

For a price.. they can :ninja: