PDA

View Full Version : The King has returned!!!

Eyrothath
01-01-2009, 04:20
http://news.bigdownload.com/2008/12/30/richard-garriott-ready-to-make-games-again/

It's only been a month and a half since Richard "Lord British" Garriott left
NCsoft but apparently the creator of the Ultima franchise and Ultima Online is ready to get back to making games again. In a new BBC web site article Garriott indicates his next game project will return him to the genre that made him famous and rich.

He is quoted as saying, "After 25 years at Origin, the last thing I wanted to make was yet another medieval fantasy game. Now, after a very interesting break, I'm keen to get back into the fray and work on a new game. Probably medieval fantasy and probably online; there's something very powerful about getting people together."

Garriott's last project was, of course, the sci-fi MMO Tabula Rasa. After launching with much fanfare in October 2007 after a genesis of several years, NCsoft elected to shut down the game after the end of February 2009 due to poor sales. The decision came a little over a week after Garriott announced he was leaving the company.

If I could give him some advice of where to begin, I would.. I don't think Richard "The spaceman" Garriot is back on Earth quite yet.. I don't want him to fuck up another MMORPG, medieval fantasy or not.. I honestly think maybe he should go back to where he belongs and that is with UO, he should take his franchise back, all of it, buy the rights back, I am sure EA is fucking sick of that game as it is and then he should sell UO to aventurine..

Galendra
01-01-2009, 04:22
he made tabula rasa

it is free btw guys for 2 more months.
try it :D

Saturday Saint
01-01-2009, 04:22
Isn't Garriot bat-shit insane?

alhazred
01-01-2009, 04:23
that guy is such a fuck face okay UO was sweet but then it got raped and care beared and all of the games from then on were care bear love fests

this guy should be shuned

he was on out side then sold out

*such a prick

alhazred
01-01-2009, 04:24

yea actually

Hyster
01-01-2009, 04:48

yes

Oo_
01-01-2009, 05:12
Bat-shit insane? So what?

Long live the king!

ClownFoot
01-01-2009, 05:14

He's too rich to be insane, he's just eccentric.

Natdaprat
01-01-2009, 05:29
He's arrogant and a sell out. He did well but then ruined it, not for himself but for the people that looked up to him. In the modern day there are probably hundreds of developers better than he is, so I don't give a flying fuck what he's doing.

Wickfield
01-01-2009, 05:31
He's too rich to be insane, he's just eccentric.

eccentric = insane + millions of dollars?

Ankh
01-01-2009, 05:32
eccentric = insane + millions of dollars?

Yes.

Wickfield
01-01-2009, 05:34
Yes.

fun stuff...

belthize
01-01-2009, 05:36
He and Brad McQuad should get together ... maybe have Jeff Butler manage
things ... yeah that would be great.

Meh, being in the right place at the right time means jack in terms of
being in the right place next time.

Thorsen Belthize

Alafaya Playa
01-01-2009, 09:20
the guy may be crazy, but i think it's in a good way

for starters ultima 7 and UO are the best single player and multiplayer games i've played to date...

he definately had the right idea to please my percentage of the market back in the nineties...

i feel though that he was blinded by greed and the persuit of being the overall best...

i know now that i am the minority...

most people like something easy, shit, most people don't have a grasp on common sense...

if garriot would have stuck to what he did best (story telling mixed with the ultimate freedom), the market would not be the same as it is today

he made a wrong turn. that's all there is too it

as long as your alive though it's never too late for redemtion.

hopefully he'll have noticed the hype DF has and be plotting a return of something ultima-esque...

i got nuthin but high hopes for DF, but if the real world has taught me anything, it's that it's always nice to have a backup plan

saltwaterteffy
01-01-2009, 09:22
another Tabula Rasa for the creator of the epic fail mmo Tabula Rasa

:lmao:

(tabula Rasa means Clean slate)

Drakhan
01-01-2009, 11:04
Fix Ultima Online Richard.

Leonon
01-01-2009, 11:56
Isn't Garriot bat-shit insane?If you Google "hospitable madman" (in quotes) the only real hit is an Escapist magazine pre-release article on Tabula Rasa.

Suitepee
01-01-2009, 12:24
First thing he can do is make UO2 perhaps. The way all the classic players wanted it I suppose.

Megumi
01-01-2009, 13:06
Hail to the king.