PDA

View Full Version : Vista Network Help

AngusFinch
12-31-2008, 19:50
I'll give you guys a break from the religion war and ask some a stupid tech question.

All the other PCs on my network are XP. I've never been able to connect to the network sharing folders. Says "Windows can not find any additional networks" when I try to set one up. I've fumbled with all the options I can find, and the only thing I can connect to is my Xbox. I'd really like to send some files to the other computers. Sombuday halp meh plx ;.;

Barbarossa
12-31-2008, 20:22
Good luck with this.

Vista and XP seem to hate each other as far as networking go but I'm no expert on the matter, just going by the difficulties I had, unresolved difficulties I might add.

Jape
12-31-2008, 20:25
dont know what the heck is wrong or what you did when you got that error.

If you want to throw some files from computer to computer, just use administrative shares:

win-R (ie: run... from start menu)
type "\\[machine name or ip address]\drive$" (for example: \\my_crap_pc\c$)
type password if it asks for it. (password format is machine_name\username, for example my_crap_pc\AngusFinch)

Eldaran
12-31-2008, 20:27
I got this to work once, but just recently was unable to get them to see eachother. I can't figure it out. Between 2 XP computers it's super easy. I feel your pain. If someone has an easy fix to this, I would appreciate it.

Brezick
12-31-2008, 20:47
How is the network setup? Are they connected to a modem, connected through a router? Which version of Vista? Home, business, ultimate?

If connected through a router, how are IP's being assigned? I recommend logging into the router and setting up static DHCP so that you will still have dynamiclly refreshed IP's but they will remain the same private network IP. If you have a piece of shit router, make sure the correct ports are setup for file sharing.

Also are all computers a member of the same workgroup? not a must have but easier to accomplish goals.

Try to ping one PC from the other using the private IP's. If it times out, then your computers can not even see each other on the network and you should check the router. If they can ping and you still can not get any prompt when trying to access \\compname\c$ then check the share permissions and rights on that computer.

AngusFinch
12-31-2008, 21:07
dont know what the heck is wrong or what you did when you got that error.

If you want to throw some files from computer to computer, just use administrative shares:

win-R (ie: run... from start menu)
type "\\[machine name or ip address]\drive$" (for example: \\my_crap_pc\c$)
type password if it asks for it. (password format is machine_name\username, for example my_crap_pc\AngusFinch)

Thanks a lot, man. You're awesome. Didn't think anyone would be able to help. (Not many Vista users on here). :p this is me licking you in a gesture of thanks

Ziegler
12-31-2008, 21:37
Also are all computers a member of the same workgroup? not a must have but easier to accomplish goals.

I went through the networking wizard in Vista..**First**...then the wizard on my XP machine and had no issues with them seeing each other.

Big thing to making sure the workgroup name is the same and the computer names are different and have never had a problem with it.

Haeso
12-31-2008, 21:38
Sorry, you said vista, instant-fail