PDA

View Full Version : To build or not to build

Lethn
12-29-2008, 12:57
So my components that I ordered and talked with you guys about have arrived today ( yey! ) and the box is sitting on my bed and open. Thing is because my dads overly cautious he insisted that I get my brother to at least watch over me while I build it and give advice, problem is my brother is an absolutely lazy bastard in the mornings and even my dad is sick of trying to get him up because he's so obnoxious.

So I have three options, one attempt to wake him up and risk not having any help building my computer in the first place because he's a bitch, two build it myself, three wait until the evening when he's finally bothered getting up and more than likely only have the computer half-finished because its too late and he's tired again.

I don't want to even bother trying one and three will just be a pain in the ass because I've been really looking forward to having this computer.

I am confident in the components and everything because I've removed and put in quite a few of them before and for the most part I'm very cautious around them so I know I won't do anything stupid or unnecessary that will cause the thing to blow up on me, the only problem is I just haven't done it before.

Mordhak
12-29-2008, 13:01
You do realise that by including as many joke options as actual options, you completely fucked your poll up from the beginning and will not get any help from this thread at all?

Lethn
12-29-2008, 13:02
You do realise that by including as many joke options as actual options, you completely fucked your poll up from the beginning and will not get any help from this thread at all?

You spelt realize wrong.

Gunther TheBlack
12-29-2008, 13:02
Start with 2 and move to 3 later on.

pookums
12-29-2008, 13:12
You spelt realize wrong.

No, he didn't. Go check the Oxford english.

Edit: Leave the cats in his room without any food. They'll soon wake him up.

Lethn
12-29-2008, 13:16
o_O

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/Realize

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/Realise

There are two versions! *gasp*

:(

Cats have already been fed but they'd probably pester him for attention anyway, I think I'll just go ahead and build it myself in a few minutes, if he doesn't get up then I can't be arsed trying to wake him up, I want to fucking play Supreme Commander on my new PC.

Gunther TheBlack
12-29-2008, 13:18
o_O

Cats have already been fed but they'd probably pester him for attention anyway, I think I'll just go ahead and build it myself in a few minutes, if he doesn't get up then I can't be arsed trying to wake him up, I want to fucking play Supreme Commander on my new PC.

hahahaha

We should get a "Kindergarten" Sub-forum for OT were Lethn can post.

Lethn
12-29-2008, 13:19
hahahaha

We should get a "Kindergarten" Sub-forum for OT were Lethn can post.

Can I be moderator and create my own sections too? :D

Gunther TheBlack
12-29-2008, 13:20
Can I be moderator and create my own sections too? :D

As long as it keeps you busy, np for me.

Oleg
12-29-2008, 13:21
Just try building it yourself, it isn't that hard - ask if you need help.

Badem
12-29-2008, 13:23
Is this proof Lethn is only 12??

if your over 18 go put it together yourself, I mean ...sheeesh...how hard can it be (coming from the guy who put his togther and then accidently pulled out the USB connectors and only way to put it back is to disconnect all the cables again and quite frankly fuck that for a game of soldiers)

Mordhak
12-29-2008, 13:24
You spelt realize wrong.

Silly American. One day, you will open your beady little eyes and see that the world is larger than just your playpen.

vaier
12-29-2008, 13:27
Build it yourself, wake your brother up and tell him its broken, get beaten by father and brother, repeat process. Screw you lethn.

Badem
12-29-2008, 13:30
ahh the americans keep adding Z to words where its S
remove U from words that it should be in...

and pronounce Aluminium wrongly as well

Bless them they do try

vaier
12-29-2008, 13:31
Aluminium. LOL. What a shitty word.
Learn to spell you crazy americans, with your mom and your fgtry sending shit from your country to my empire of doom and 'roos.

vaier
12-29-2008, 13:34
Unless we get angry, like this guy (http://au.youtube.com/watch?v=kX_uXl7wQks)
We're only prisoners cuz the posh brits think its all series to steal a loaf o' bread to feed our familys. But I don't really care. Australia's money may be worth less, but I prefer to think of it as the 'Fuck you America, we have nice beaches' tax.

NapalmEnema
12-29-2008, 13:34
Funniest thing to me about this thread -

The guy that constantly attempts to spew superiority about any and all subject matter is beholden to daddy with regards to building a simple device.

Glorious.

Thread related - Build it yourself it's not that hard. Just put the case on it's side, line up the board with the appropriate mount points, put in the riser screws in those specific holes.

Take out processor, follow instructions to attaching it to motherboard. Put the processor on BEFORE you put the motherboard in the case, as many processor/heatsink combos have screws that attach to the bottom of the Motherboard.

Once processor is on + fan & heatsink, mount motherboard in case. (put in all screws to riser points)

Pop in RAM
Graphics card
Any other cards such as sound
Attach power (don't forget the one to the Graphics card and secondary power cord to your motherboard)
Run cables to your DVD drive

Turn on computer and load Vista 64 bit.

Done.

If you load XP on a newer machine, clinging to the old shit like a monkey, you're an idiot. Vista 64bit SP1 ftw.

tom_gore
12-29-2008, 13:50
Napalmenema summed it up pretty well. Just follow his advice carefully (especially about the motherboard riser screws, that will save you the cost of a new mobo) and you should be fine.

Then just pray that all components work and hit the power button. If it gives you a "beep" and the display lights up, hooray. If it doesn't, you're in for a shitty troubleshooting session.

NapalmEnema
12-29-2008, 13:53
Napalmenema summed it up pretty well. Just follow his advice carefully (especially about the motherboard riser screws, that will save you the cost of a new mobo) and you should be fine.

Then just pray that all components work and hit the power button. If it gives you a "beep" and the display lights up, hooray. If it doesn't, you're in for a shitty troubleshooting session.

Correct, and the key with the riser screws is that if you put one in the wrong place, where there isn't a mounting hole = you could cause a short because it will potentially be touching the board and creating a bridge between circuits which = bad.

It's really not hard, especially these days. Most cases have some of the risers in already...

vaier
12-29-2008, 13:55
Untill your brother wakes up or your dad finds out and then he/they both beat you and fix the damn thing.

Oleg
12-29-2008, 14:50
Or the dad beats you up, and gives the computer to the brother.

Targuil
12-29-2008, 15:02
o_O

It's a trap!

antihero-zero
12-29-2008, 15:08
Turn on computer and load Vista 64 bit.

Done.

If you load XP on a newer machine, clinging to the old shit like a monkey, you're an idiot. Vista 64bit SP1 ftw.

Shit man, you must be quite the power user to both be able to build a PC with parts and recognize the infallible superiority of MS' latest OS. /bows

NapalmEnema
12-29-2008, 15:11
Shit man, you must be quite the power user to both be able to build a PC with parts and recognize the infallible superiority of MS' latest OS. /bows

If you would like to arrange a personal meeting to kneel and kiss my ring, it could be arranged.

Lethn was complaining in another thread about Fallout 3 crashing on him, which it wouldn't do under Vista 64. Also I've been running Vista 64 for over a year and find it to be extremely stable, and able to run anything I throw at it without a hitch. Most of Vista hatred is word of mouth idiocy perpetuated on the internets by people unable to form an opinion for themselves. Also from people running the 32 bit version without sp1 on it.

antihero-zero
12-29-2008, 16:16

Bless them they do try

Ah British elitism, where even the uneducated chatters in any English chatroom who cannot spell basic third grade words like "to" and "too" get to assume their education system is superior to the rest of the world, disregarding international math and science scores illustrating them falling behind just as sharply as America. Bless their birthright egocentricism, and wounded egos over our advanced tactics of, "don't stand in front of the musket wearing red." :D

Gunther TheBlack
12-29-2008, 16:19
Ah British elitism, where even the uneducated chatters in any English chatroom who cannot spell basic third grade words like "to" and "too" get to assume their education system is superior to the rest of the world, disregarding international math and science scores illustrating them falling behind just as sharply as America. Bless their birthright egocentricism, and wounded egos over our advanced tactics of, "don't stand in front of the musket wearing red." :D

Don't forget that their currency is falling like a rock atm.

*points fingers at the Sterling loving conservative wankers*
:lmao:

Mordhak
12-29-2008, 16:22

It's "egocentrism". Often confused because of the pronounciation of "narcissism", which also happens to be spelled like that and not "narcicism".

Tyler
12-29-2008, 16:37
it took me more time to unwrap all of the components than it did you plug it all together. it's really simple, just follow the manuals, like building a model car or something.

quit being a biggity-biggity bitch. if you want something done right, do it, your damn self. it's a better learning exp that way.

Ion_StormH
12-29-2008, 16:44
Don't do option 2. I tried it this year, and while I'm awesome and putting things together since my early years (thanks to lego), there is simply no consesus between hardware companies.

So my graphic card lost one little transistor because the slot it should actually fit in was a bit too small due to the fact that the card was slightly too big for the mainboard - Even though it was stated on their website that it did, indeed, fit.

But because I put it in myself, I didn't get my money back.

300 euros for nutin'.

Edit: @Guy above me:

To my defence, my dad simply wanted to show me that I'm an idiot and couldn't do the work probably (because I asked him whether or not he thought that the graphic card was too big).

So he actually broke it - Maybe you should do it on your own, just don't ask anybody to help you when you're uncertain.

-.-

Nexus
12-29-2008, 16:51
How did lethn get suspended?

Mordhak
12-29-2008, 16:53

Oh, the irony :lmao:

Vanno
12-29-2008, 16:55

Bless them they do try

That's ok, as the English pronounce every other word incorrectly.

NapalmEnema
12-29-2008, 16:56

I'd wager he had an alt running around:

vaier

They are both suspended... seems most logical conclusion. (Hopefully he'll write an anime about it) :o

Spinewire
12-29-2008, 17:00
Probabaly due to him being a fucking useless idiot

Silly American. One day, you will open your beady little eyes and see that the world is larger than just your playpen.
Sad thing is he is english, he just acts like he is from the US.

You mean these ENGLISH words?

Would everyone please stfu about spelling and pronunciations, we don't share the same patch or dirt so why would we say things the same way?

I mean FFS you can travel about 150 miles in the UK and find yourself unable to understand the local dialect, the chance of Johnny Foreigner getting it right is petty fucking slim.

If the Yanks want to rip out all the extra U's and slap Z's in instead of S's im fine with it, they are making it there own, just like every motherfucker in the UK does when they turn it into something someone down the road cannot even comprehend.

All i ask is that you do us the curtiosy of realising that it's you that are changing our language, not the other way around.

------------------------------------------------------------------------
As for captain tards computer, he probabaly did not buy the bits we told him because he seems to know best even tho he did not know what a HD4870 was or if his HDD was SATA 1 or 2, further more he thought a 240w PS would be good enough, as far as i am aware he still has no fucking clue what his HDD, so with a bit of luck it won't work and then i can rub his stupid fucking noes in it.

If you cannot put a PC together then you basicly fail at life as they are are easier than lego ffs, first one i built i used a potato peeler as i could not find a screw driver.

Mordhak
12-29-2008, 17:01
Porbabaly due to him being a fucking useless idiot

If that'd be a bannable offense I doubt Off-topic would be quite as bustling. Not to say, utterly dead.

Largion
12-29-2008, 17:20
The Suspend hammer is in use. Must be a sign of open beta.

Badem
12-29-2008, 17:21

Considering the english we speak is older than your american dialect I dont think thats quite true.

Though saying that the american you speak is likened to an old cornish dialect that dies out long ago

Plus american women LOVE teh english accent, American language, helping english get laid in america since colonial times ROFL

Gunther TheBlack
12-29-2008, 18:06
I somehow think Lethn is a moderator :ninja:

Carl Ragadamn
12-29-2008, 18:24
I somehow think Lethn is a moderator :ninja:

I am fairly certain that this would be a sign of the apocalypse.

Spinewire
12-29-2008, 18:50
Considering the english we speak is older than your american dialect I dont think thats quite true.

Though saying that the american you speak is likened to an old cornish dialect that dies out long ago

Plus american women LOVE teh english accent, American language, helping english get laid in america since colonial times ROFL
The dutch women love the english aswell, lets face it tho anything sounds better than dutch.

Viluin
12-29-2008, 18:56
If you hear a clicking/buzzing sound, kinda like there's a plastic zip tie rattling against a casefan, your motherboard is prolly being shorted out by a screw.

Just saying. I spent hours to figure that one out. I thought that sound just came from one of my casefans and didn't bother, turns out they were prolly electric sparks on the back of the board or something.

Eldaran
12-29-2008, 19:01
EDIT: it's not worth the argument

British, American, who gives a shit.

Viluin
12-29-2008, 19:03
You are an idiot.

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/aluminum

For the record ... its not "Al Loo Mi nee yum" It's "Al loom in um".

Fail more?

In the UK and other countries using British spelling, only aluminium is used. In the United States, the spelling aluminium is largely unknown, and the spelling aluminum predominates.[33][34] The Canadian Oxford Dictionary prefers aluminum, whereas the Australian Macquarie Dictionary prefers aluminium.

jonyak
12-29-2008, 19:14
Fail more?

I am canadian and i say aluminium. just so I can sound pretentious.

Rigan Pere
12-29-2008, 19:40
For the record, Z and S were accepted as correct means of spelling in many words by Oxford dictionary. Such as Organisation or Organization...same goes for realise. So technically both parties were right =P