PDA

View Full Version : Gaming: FPS hackers

Hydrogenium
12-29-2008, 01:44
I have always avoided fps games unless I lan party it with friends. Playing it online has always proved very frustrating since almost always there's one guy hacking it to a lesser or greater degree.

Since darkfall is a twitch based game, very similar to an FPS, I really hope they will put a lot of work into keeping any cheating in check. But since it happens in all big or small FPS games and in all mmos I don't see this not happening in Darkfall.

How do you feel about this?

Niles
12-29-2008, 01:45
There are protection to hackers in FPS, you must be too stupid to know that.

flampy
12-29-2008, 01:47

HE'S TOO STUPID.

most mmo's do everything server side so there's less things to hack.

Timthelord
12-29-2008, 01:49
I doubt they put any though tinto this over the 5+ years of development.

Ozzy Wrong
12-29-2008, 01:50
I could have sworn I clicked the "off topic" link... I haven't had anything to drink, and it's only 5, so I'm not tired...
What's happened here?

Lord Belphegor
12-29-2008, 01:51
I have always avoided fps games unless I lan party it with friends. Playing it online has always proved very frustrating since almost always there's one guy hacking it to a lesser or greater degree.

Since darkfall is a twitch based game, very similar to an FPS, I really hope they will put a lot of work into keeping any cheating in check. But since it happens in all big or small FPS games and in all mmos I don't see this not happening in Darkfall.

Something tells me you were just getting your ass handed over to you quiet a bit by more skilled players. Me and my small CS 1.6 crew always gets accused of hacking, even on our own servers. Expect maybe of one, none of us have ever used hacks once, even for fucking around.

I remember myself back in a day accusing everyone left and right of hacking, until I learned to play the game.

melipone
This isn't a new topic..it comes up like twice a week :D . Anyway its another discussion based on things we have no way of making informed opinions based on what info we have atm..yes cheating will be bad if the devs don't crack down on it.

The main cheat I think could actually work is one that aims your character at someone all the time, but then you still need to time your attacks as a cheat won't do that for you..stuff like that will be so obvious that the devs will ban people pretty fast tho imo

Most cheat accusations tho are based on little logic and just to boost the losers ego so don't worry too much about it..the devs will probably sort it out

ClownFoot
I could have sworn I clicked the "off topic" link... I haven't had anything to drink, and it's only 5, so I'm not tired...
What's happened here?

GD got filled so the shit is overflowing into OT.

Ignotis
12-29-2008, 01:52
Most accusations are irrational and stupid, but there is a easy way to generally tell if they are hacking. Having two friends in real life whom I have watched hack with a combination of aimbot, walls and the occasional speed hack I generally know what to expect.

Shrang
12-29-2008, 01:54
GD got filled so the shit is overflowing into OT.

sadly.

Niteflite
12-29-2008, 01:55
I generally play on community servers where there is always admins on, but its mostly/always fun. I have not seen a hacker there since 2006, sure there were people with perfect aim, but hackers can still be killed.

When theres a more mature community ; there is less of " u fucing hauker ."

For me hacking is not a problem in an FPS because its so scarce for me, however, in a game where ranks can easily be diminished and a loss is existent, I can imagine having a hard time coping with it.

Also, the devs stated that their code is heavy on detecting hacks, and again, I fail to see how most hacks are THAT beneficial in combat ; in a game like darkfall. Speed hacks though...

Agge
12-29-2008, 01:55
Hackers quackers ... w/e

They usualy end up getting owned anyway and then QQ about it befor leaving.

Played on a russian TF2 server yeasterday, later everyone was leaving for the night soo it was just like 3v3. I played a spy for a bit and this one Soldier would keep knowing where I was, even though I was invis and left no traces. First I thought it was a fluke, but the 3rd-4th time, it was just obvius.

Still I played a bit more, didn't realy bother me that much, just found it a bit sad.

And no, he didn't see me befor going invis, I wasn't near him, there was no firefight going on and I didn't pick up any amo or anything else that could have given me of. Oh and I was in a corner, nowhere near any central path.

Hydrogenium
12-29-2008, 01:57

Step 1: chose your favorite fps game
Step 2: google [game name] hacks/bots
Step 3: download.

I have played many FPS games, for more than 15 years (yes I am an oldie), from the first doom to all quakes, counterstrike (all of the versions out there) america's army, unreal tournaments etc. etc. I definitely know how to play the game.

You must be an ignorant fool to think there aren't any hacks.

Finally, I am a software developer (both web and desktop) by profession... I am saying people are hacking because I know what game software can and can't do.

I have also administered servers for 20 different fps games for my current clan and several others before that. I know what a hacker is and what it can do.

If you have nothing constructive to contribute and just care to insult me please abstain yourself. Now, that we have established my "credentials" it's time for the kids to go to bed and the more mature users to post their comments.

Edit: spelling

Hydrogenium
12-29-2008, 02:00
Something tells me you were just getting your ass handed over to you quiet a bit by more skilled players. Me and my small CS 1.6 crew always gets accused of hacking, even on our own servers. Expect maybe of one, none of us have ever used hacks once, even for fucking around.

I remember myself back in a day accusing everyone left and right of hacking, until I learned to play the game.

Right.

Lord Belphegor
12-29-2008, 02:00
Right.

Glad you agree, you just made the first step in the right direction!

Niles
12-29-2008, 02:02
Step 1: chose your favorite fps game
Step 2: google [game name] hacks/bots
Step 3: download.

Protection.

Killuminati
12-29-2008, 02:02
or maybe you just suck and pretend everyone hacks.

Agge
12-29-2008, 02:03
The sad thing isn't that their hacks out there, but that people acctualy need to depend on them. How fun can it be?

Back in the days, like way back befor I even had the internetz, well I guess I had 56k modem, but still. Well, I used to cheat in moast games BECAUSE I couldn't play them otherwise. You know what? It was booring as hell moast of the time thanks to it.

Hydrogenium
12-29-2008, 02:04
Protection.

I am not talking about sex with your sister, I am talking about exploits of gaming software. Now that we have cleared this issue up we can continue our conversation.

Niteflite
12-29-2008, 02:04
The sad thing isn't that their hacks out there, but that people acctualy need to depend on them. How fun can it be?

Back in the days, like way back befor I even had the internetz, well I guess I had 56k modem, but still. Well, I used to cheat in moast games BECAUSE I couldn't play them otherwise. You know what? It was booring as hell moast of the time thanks to it.

True. Some people keep their hacks at a scarcity, but those who go full wallhack, aimbot, esp etc) in an online game are obviously deteriorating their own experience.

Niles
12-29-2008, 02:05
I am not talking about sex with your sister, I am talking about exploits of gaming software. Now that we have cleared this issue up we can continue our conversation.

Punkbuster is one example. For being a 06er you are damn stupid.

Lord Belphegor

Good, so can we now get back to the original topic of you sucking at FPS games?

Vessol
Who cares, I stopped playing FPS's years ago. Most unoriginal and boring genre out there, jesus christ you'd think they'd come up with some new ideas.

Mo0rbid
12-29-2008, 02:07
Playing it online has always proved very frustrating since almost always there's one guy hacking it to a lesser or greater degree.

they are not hacking, you're just sucking. also, perhaps you should play on secure servers? pb, vac etc

Hydrogenium
12-29-2008, 02:07

Not all games have that option. Also even with punkbuster quite a few hacks make it through as punkbuster is much slower at adapting and detecting the mirriad of hacks that come out for each game. As I said I am a server admin, I see it far too often.

Niles
12-29-2008, 02:08
Not all games have that option. Also even with punkbuster quite a few hacks make it through as punkbuster is much slower at adapting and detecting the mirriad of hacks that come out for each game.

Please name one game.

Lord Belphegor
12-29-2008, 02:08
Who cares, I stopped playing FPS's years ago. Most unoriginal and boring genre out there, jesus christ you'd think they'd come up with some new ideas.

How are they supposed to make original a genre which is all about fighting in a semi-realistic way from a first point view? Or are you looking for a unique concept? Maybe a First Penis Shooter, where you unload yourself on first unsuspecting subway victim?

Hydrogenium
12-29-2008, 02:12
Please name one game.

Americas Army for example. It has always been riddled with hackers inspite of the army software team contracting punkbuster for protection. I administered Of God clan servers for several years and I saw it almost every day.

Also none of the unreal tournament games have punkbuster. Unreal is arguably quite a big title.

Agge
12-29-2008, 02:13

Like what? New weapons? Game modes? Diffrent world/time?

If you decide to make an FPS, you are gonna end up with just that, the only thing I don't get is why moast of them don't have destructable enviorments by now.

Personaly I think a graphicaly updated Battlefield 1942/vitenam & BF2 crossbreed with the destruction on offer in the coming redfaction would be quite perfect.

Niles
12-29-2008, 02:15
Americas Army for example. It has always been riddled with hackers inspite of the army software team contracting punkbuster for protection. I administered Of God clan servers for several years and I saw it almost every day.

Also none of the unreal tournament games have punkbuster. Unreal is arguably quite a big title.

Play some real games please.

t1337Dude
12-29-2008, 02:15
I'd just like to add in that Niles is an idiot. Hacks these days circumvent protection dipshit.

Vessol
12-29-2008, 02:16
How are they supposed to make original a genre which is all about fighting in a semi-realistic way from a first point view? Or are you looking for a unique concept? Maybe a First Penis Shooter, where you unload yourself on first unsuspecting subway victim?

Some unique gameplay options. Instead of "Shoot Bad Guy #5" "Run Down Corridor" "Hide behind crate" "Shoot Bad Guy #13" "Disarm Bomb"

Games like BF1942 had the right idea, introducing tactical vehicular play.

Or maybe expand it into the more simulation level? Not many find it fun, but some. Have to be forced to take prisoners from surrendered combatants otherwise face consequences. Realistic wound system for individual combatants, that are lasting. Hitzones in vehicles similar to WW2 Online where the vehicle is broken up into various interdependent systems.

The FPS genre really needs to get out of the familiar and go into the more bold.

F3Speech
12-29-2008, 02:17
You cant stop hacking!

Yes you can use built-in protection and 3rd party software to stop the generally available hacks, but just like your anti-virus to a degree it can only stop what it knows to exist (along with variants). CS is a good example, how many years has it been out and they still cant protect effectively against memory hacks (I think they have textures under control now).
You can manage the problem (remove the required information from the client) or make it as hard as possible for the hack to work in real-time etc but you can 100% stop them (if the informations there someone will find it).

The biggest thing I can see for DFO is aimbot and location memory hacks, remember just because you cant see or auto aim at the player doesn't mean your client (memory) cant see the player and tell some dx overlay about that information and then where to move your mouse to follow.

On a brighter note, this is all based on older games and DFO was written from the ground up on a new engine if I'm correct? So maybe they have some anti-cheat concept coded in from the beginning to stop the above, like all location information is kept server-side until rendered/targeted???

Figures crossed its not a problem. :ninja:

Wouldn't normally reply to this but tbh a lot of ppl thinking other ppl don't/can't hack.
RE: Punkbuster/VAC/X-Ray.. anti-cheat for the masses.. not 100%
They do.. and why.. because they can.. look at me im so great.. etc etc! :(

Niles
12-29-2008, 02:18
I'd just like to add in that Niles is an idiot. Hacks these days circumvent protection dipshit.

You are too kind, dear sir.

Ignotis
12-29-2008, 02:18

LOL. Punkbuster and valve secured servers do NOTHING to stop hackers, it only serves as a mean to ENFORCE a ban. In order to get banned, you have to seriously piss off another player so much that they go out of their way to record your steam id and send it steam or record a demo of you. Then after a long wait, they will ban you and you will be unable to join servers with said protection. But just yesterday I saw a aimbotter on CSS in a "secure" server. No, he wasn't skilled, it was past that. People can get 2;1, 3;1 and even higher ratios and not hack. But this was beyond that, his toggle would instantly with no human delay toggle to the nearest human head and get headshots in immediate repetition. Ive seen speed hackers in many dust 2 secure servers and etc.

Ive watched friends hack on secure servers, ive seen hackers on secure servers. You have no clue what you're talking about at all.

Hydrogenium
12-29-2008, 02:19
Some unique gameplay options. Instead of "Shoot Bad Guy #5" "Run Down Corridor" "Hide behind crate" "Shoot Bad Guy #13" "Disarm Bomb"

Or maybe expand it into the more simulation level? Not many find it fun, but some. Have to be forced to take prisoners from surrendered combatants otherwise face consequences. Realistic wound system for individual combatants, that are lasting. Hitzones in vehicles similar to WW2 Online where the vehicle is broken up into various interdependent systems.

The FPS genre really needs to get out of the familiar and go into the more bold.

I agree with you, FPS games are lacking in terms of novelty. However, this is not the topic of this thread. Please move to a different thread if you need to continue this conversation.

t1337Dude
12-29-2008, 02:20
LOL. Punkbuster and valve secured servers do NOTHING to stop hackers, it only serves as a mean to ENFORCE a ban. In order to get banned, you have to seriously piss off another player so much that they go out of their way to record your steam id and send it steam or record a demo of you. Then after a long wait, they will ban you and you will be unable to join servers with said protection. But just yesterday I saw a aimbotter on CSS in a "secure" server. No, he wasn't skilled, it was past that. People can get 2;1, 3;1 and even higher ratios and not hack. But this was beyond that, his toggle would instantly with no human delay toggle to the nearest human head and get headshots in immediate repetition. Ive seen speed hackers in many dust 2 secure servers and etc.

Steam won't ban anyone based on demos. They don't accept them.

Niles
12-29-2008, 02:20

I have been defeated! But I will be back!

Vessol
12-29-2008, 02:21
I agree with you, FPS games are lacking in terms of novelty. However, this is not the topic of this thread. Please move to a different thread if you need to continue this conversation.

Yes Mr. I'mnotamoderator.

It was on-topic. About how caring about FPS hacking is worthless as anyone who plays FPS's competitively is a dipshit.

Hydrogenium
12-29-2008, 02:26
You cant stop hacking!

Yes you can use built-in protection and 3rd party software to stop the generally available hacks, but just like your anti-virus to a degree it can only stop what it knows to exist (along with variants). CS is a good example, how many years has it been out and they still cant protect effectively against memory hacks (I think they have textures under control now).
You can manage the problem (remove the required information from the client) or make it as hard as possible for the hack to work in real-time etc but you can 100% stop them (if the informations there someone will find it).

The biggest thing I can see for DFO is aimbot and location memory hacks, remember just because you cant see or auto aim at the player doesn't mean your client (memory) cant see the player and tell some dx overlay about that information and then where to move your mouse to follow.

On a brighter note, this is all based on older games and DFO was written from the ground up on a new engine if I'm correct? So maybe they have some anti-cheat concept coded in from the beginning to stop the above, like all location information is kept server-side until rendered/targeted???

Figures crossed its not a problem. :ninja:

Wouldn't normally reply to this but tbh a lot of ppl thinking other ppl don't/can't hack.
RE: Punkbuster/VAC/X-Ray.. anti-cheat for the masses.. not 100%
They do.. and why.. because they can.. look at me im so great.. etc etc! :(

This is what I am trying to get at. I don't feel the engine being proprietary will make a difference other than possibly an initial delay on mapping out an "API".

There are hackers (not even talking about exploiters) in any mmo (including WoW). But unlike any other mmo, Darkfall is FPS like... and if anything the technology is similar to other FPS games. What I am trying to say is I hope botting (with spells arrows etc.) and other kind of hacking will not be an issue.

I can tolerate a bit of hacking but if it gets widespread (like one in 10 guys hacks) it will surely kill it for me.

Lord Belphegor
12-29-2008, 02:27

Considering your original topic, it should have been in the General Discussion area. It clearly says Off-Topic here, which means, non Darkfall related stuff. If you weren't such a Forumfall nooblet, first you'd know where to post and secondly never to expect to not derailed in Off-Topic.

L2Post.

Hydrogenium
12-29-2008, 02:28
Yes Mr. I'mnotamoderator.

It was on-topic. About how caring about FPS hacking is worthless as anyone who plays FPS's competitively is a dipshit.

I am sorry you feel one hopping on a random server every now and then when wife says is ok and trying to run a couple of rounds is in your mind playing competitively.

Hydrogenium
12-29-2008, 02:31
Considering your original topic, it should have been in the General Discussion area. It clearly says Off-Topic here, which means, non Darkfall related stuff. If you weren't such a Forumfall nooblet, first you'd know where to post and secondly never to expect to not derailed in Off-Topic.

L2Post.

Yes, I debated for about 2 seconds which forum to post this in. Sorry I have not satisfied your OCD-like need for thread neatness.

If anything this would be fringely related to general topic but not much as it deals with FPS games in general and the hacking of them thereof and with no particular aspect of Darkfall.

Lotharr
12-29-2008, 02:31
MMOs are vastly different from FPS games. FPS online games often run on very many small servers, when MMOs run on a few big ones.

People are almost always quickly caught for cheating, before much harm is done. I have never seen a widely known and working hack in an MMORPG. The closest I've seen it get was the radar hack for DAoC, which caused a mass banishment.

Have you ever seen a viable cheat like a wall hack in any other MMORPG? Darkfall isn't the first twitch based MMORPG, you know.

Agge
12-29-2008, 02:32

Before BF1942 there was codename eagle, BF had it's fair share of sequals, it's hardly something new by now. Also there are similarities in the Tribes series not to mention the starwars battlefront games. Even planetside to a lesser degree.

Now the last BF2142 or w/e turned out to be shitty, planetside is more or less dead (and pointless) and tribes died some time ago (Wich I'm not quite sur why it did).

WW2 online did something bold and new by adding as much realism as they possible could, I would just never enjoy such a game, and neither would moast others. FPS gamers tend not to have alot of patience in general soo it was never a winning concept. Oh and, it's not like ww2 hasn't been done to death.

Now adding more detail, like more physics, or even the realism frome the ww2online game but yet keeping it streamlined and fun, then you might get somewhere.

Ignotis
12-29-2008, 02:36
BF1942 brings back a lot of good memories. It was a very situational game, if you got a really good 64 player server on a good map, the battles were fun. The coordination and the maps were well thought out and enjoyable.

Killuminati
12-29-2008, 02:37
BF1942 brings back a lot of good memories. It was a very situational game, if you got a really good 64 player server on a good map, the battles were fun. The coordination and the maps were well thought out and enjoyable.

memories of fail

t1337Dude
12-29-2008, 02:40
MMOs are vastly different from FPS games. FPS online games often run on very many small servers, when MMOs run on a few big ones.

The difference being...

Vessol
12-29-2008, 02:41
The difference being...

serverside code

t1337Dude
12-29-2008, 02:43
serverside code

And that makes a difference in hackers because...

Sabbathius
12-29-2008, 02:44
In every multiplayer game, including MMO, there are hackers, exploiters and botters. EVERY multiplayer game. No exceptions.

Some games provide tools, which even if abused are still better than nothing. Like votekick. Other games, especially MMOs, are monitored by moderators or game masters. But it doesn't stop these people.

Hence, Darkfall will have hackers, exploiters and botters. How bad it will be will depend not on their code, since any game can be hacked, but in the speed and severity of their GMs' response. If a ticket is investigated in minutes, and account, credit card and name and address and banned permanently, I expect the abusers will leave Darkfall well enough alone. If, however, the GM response time is slow, measured in hours, and not final, that is, you get a 3 hr suspension every time you're caught, so you can do this indefinitely on the same account, the game will quickly get the reputation of being an exploiters' game, and people will leave en masse.

UO was full of exploiters, for example. Which was part of the reason why I haven't played it for any reasonable amount of time. I refuse to a douchebag, but I also won't deal with douchebags. And if douchebaggery is allowed, or even encouraged, it's not a game for me. Take WoW, ever wonder why it's so overwhelmingly popular, at least 10x higher subscription numbers than the runner-up? There's not much exploiting, at least not blatant exploiting. There's not much cursing, because people DO get suspended or banned for multiple violations. I reported one guy who was saying things that were so over the top, racist, sexist and homophobic remarks that bugged even me, though I'm normally resistant to bad language. I reported him, and by mistake the email sent to him got forwarded to me as well by mistake, he got a 24 hr suspension, with a warning that repeat offenses will result in a permanent ban. And for curiosity's sake I kept an eye out for him with /who since it was a weekend, and he didn't appear online for the next day.

Though sometimes people who exploit, such as wall-hiding in WSG, would go for hours or days without a ban. And sometimes innocent people would get caught, a guildie was using engineering rocket boots on top of his class ability to sprint and the cooldown reset ability, which basically allowed him to move more than twice as fast for the entire trip with the flag, really hard to stop, but once every half an hour. He and two of his friends did this, and won the game in just a few minutes, and got reported for it and suspended, though less than a day later they received an apology from GM department.

So, to answer your question, yes, there will be exploiters, hackers and botters and abusers of every possible variation. The degree of the damage will be limited by the king of support Aventurine will offer.

Hydrogenium
12-29-2008, 02:48
The difference being...

My thought exactly. Bigger, faster servers to accomodate more players and thus more simultaneous connections. But the code at some level must be similar... after all both types of games do the same thing just on different scales.

SentrySteve
12-29-2008, 02:49
Playing it online has always proved very frustrating since almost always there's one guy hacking it to a lesser or greater degree.

You're probably one of those people who thinks that dying to preshooting around a corner means the other guy was hacking.

Hydrogenium
12-29-2008, 02:52
Good answer Sabbathius. And since Aventurine has kept a tight and clean forum I am hoping they won't drop the ball when the game goes live.

Vap0rware
12-29-2008, 03:10

We don't hack. You and your friends really do just suck that bad.

greenman101
12-29-2008, 03:11
It's funny how everyone still thinks DF is a twitch game.

Agge
12-29-2008, 03:16
It's funny how everyone still thinks DF is a twitch game.

Yeah.... that last report or w/e by Giana was quite a let down. But as long as it has the sandbox feeling I don't care much for the whole twich drama.

Manifoldgodhead
12-29-2008, 03:47

He probably just assumes whenever he gets headshot that the other person is haxorz!

Paralda
12-29-2008, 03:53
Um. No. Hackers are actually very rare, and very easy to spot. They get kicked often. You probably just suck.

Xzi
12-29-2008, 04:01
I remember seeing a ton of hackers in old school CS, but I haven't seen one in a newer FPS game for years. I mean, CS:S, TF2, Left 4 Dead, CoD 4, none of them. Not a single hacker.

t1337Dude
12-29-2008, 04:09
I remember seeing a ton of hackers in old school CS, but I haven't seen one in a newer FPS game for years. I mean, CS:S, TF2, Left 4 Dead, CoD 4, none of them. Not a single hacker.

It's because they aren't obvious about it. There's a *LOT* of hackers in CS:S and TF2. Hackers are rampant in most CS:S and TF2 servers because all they have to do is install skins which let them see through walls. They are popular and Valve themselves stated they can't ban people for doing this. The most you can do is join a server, check to see if it the server has consistency on, and put it on your favorites list.

As for Call of Duty 4, I don't know for sure, but I'll take a wild guess and assume there's many hackers on there too.

Oleg
12-29-2008, 04:11
I have not seen any hackers on Savage 2.

t1337Dude
12-29-2008, 04:12
I have not seen any hackers on Savage 2.
Probably not popular enough to attract anyone who knows how to create hacks.

Xzi
12-29-2008, 04:12
It's because they aren't obvious about it. There's a *LOT* of hackers in CS:S and TF2. Hackers are rampant in most CS:S and TF2 servers because all they have to do is install skins which let them see through walls. They are popular and Valve themselves stated they can't ban people for doing this. The most you can do is join a server, check to see if it the server has consistency on, and put it on your favorites list.

As for Call of Duty 4, I don't know for sure, but I'll take a wild guess and assume there's many hackers on there too.
Well I suppose I've just been lucky and hit all the servers with consistency on, then, because I haven't noticed any peculiar behavior.

Wickfield
12-29-2008, 04:13

this. In most cs:s servers there are a few hackers about. Some are obvious, others aren't so obvious, but they're there.

Squatch
12-29-2008, 04:16
This thread isn't going to lead to any logical conclusion. The devs aren't going to tell you what they are doing to combat this or it may provide intel for people to work around.