PDA

View Full Version : Antivirus

Marelt
12-20-2008, 23:13
Ok, so the antivirus my dad bought me (Norton 2008) just ran out of subscription time. Before i go blowing a couple hundred bucks, is there a better one i should get?

If at all possible free because im saving up for a $1300 guitar.

Siriel
12-20-2008, 23:18
I use AVG free. (http://free.avg.com/download-avg-anti-virus-free-edition) Works fine for me.

Niles
Panda.

Siriel
Panda.

No.

tallefred
12-20-2008, 23:19
AVG free.

Gnome
12-20-2008, 23:19
I use AVG free. (http://free.avg.com/download-avg-anti-virus-free-edition) Works fine for me.

Me2 *Me loves AVG* *hug AVG*

Vessol
12-20-2008, 23:20
Use AVG

Turnipboy
12-20-2008, 23:22
dont use any... and surf the internet like an idiot... and still dont get viruses... thats what i do...

Vessol
12-20-2008, 23:23
dont use any... and surf the internet like an idiot... and still dont get viruses... thats what i do...

or so you think

Niles
12-20-2008, 23:25
No.

Why not?

Siriel
12-20-2008, 23:35
Beacause it is worse than a virus...

Marelt
12-20-2008, 23:40
I guess i'll go with avg free thanks

Niles
12-20-2008, 23:41
Beacause it is worse than a virus...

Are you retarded?

Barbot
12-20-2008, 23:48

QFT. You don't need anti-virus software. It needlessly slows down your computer because your computer isn't going to randomly get a virus or hacked. I've never used anti-virus software, and I have not gotten a virus in the past 10 years.

Tiarilir
12-20-2008, 23:59
I use NOD32. It doesn't bother me at all and automatically updates, and I think it's a great antivirus.

Agge
12-20-2008, 23:59
I prefer Avast because of the bootscan feature, just found it generaly better then AVG.

Just like I find Spybot - Search & destroy better then ad-aware.

DrGreenThumb
12-21-2008, 00:29
Anti vir, or as mentioned before, Avast.

Beorg
12-21-2008, 00:52
I've not had AntiVirus since 2004. I haven't had a virus since then, either.

I just don't take my firewall down, though, which is what I recommend. Don't go on any suspicious sites, either. You should be fine.

What guitar is this that is worth $1,300?

Fluffington
12-21-2008, 00:57
QFT. You don't need anti-virus software. It needlessly slows down your computer because your computer isn't going to randomly get a virus or hacked. I've never used anti-virus software, and I have not gotten a virus in the past 10 years.

How would you know if you have not had anti-virus software to check?

Listen here moron, not all viruses go out of their way to ruin your computer or OS. Some simply steal information and send it away, track what you do on the internet and so on. It's not the most computer straining software either, so you probably wouldn't notice one or two on your computer. You probably have viruses because you don't check, I surf the internet carefully and even I find viruses or spyware every once in a while.

Marelt
12-21-2008, 01:21
I've not had AntiVirus since 2004. I haven't had a virus since then, either.

I just don't take my firewall down, though, which is what I recommend. Don't go on any suspicious sites, either. You should be fine.

What guitar is this that is worth $1,300?

It's a barely finished Gibson Les Paul Studio, I didn't really feel like blowing 3 grand on a guitar and I already have an American Fender Telecaster, so I'm just getting a cheap Les Paul

Sayton
12-21-2008, 01:37
Avira AntiVir + Dr.Web CureIt in conjunction is all you need. No system hogs either.

Toxic Waste
12-21-2008, 01:47
It's a barely finished Gibson Les Paul Studio, I didn't really feel like blowing 3 grand on a guitar and I already have an American Fender Telecaster, so I'm just getting a cheap Les Paul

Go die.

Spankytwo
12-21-2008, 02:06
Get a Mac.

Problem solved. Idiot.

Niles
12-21-2008, 02:17
Get a Mac.

Problem solved. Idiot.

Go eat one you commie pig.

Viluin
12-21-2008, 02:24
1. Get a good browser.
2. Only download files from trustworthy places

And you won't need an antivirus. I haven't had one for 4 years, and the worst I've gotten is some occasional spyware every 2 months that can be removed with Spybot.

iza
12-21-2008, 02:33
Yeah I no longer use any realtime anti-virus/anti-spyware protection. Just my good ol' brain, a firewall, and light-weight HIPS. I keep an on-demand scanner around for if I ever get infected, but I haven't needed it yet, and I'm pretty much an expert at removing them manually anyway.

Barbot
12-21-2008, 02:45
How would you know if you have not had anti-virus software to check?

Listen here moron, not all viruses go out of their way to ruin your computer or OS. Some simply steal information and send it away, track what you do on the internet and so on. It's not the most computer straining software either, so you probably wouldn't notice one or two on your computer. You probably have viruses because you don't check, I surf the internet carefully and even I find viruses or spyware every once in a while.

Listen here you peice of shit, I never once said that viruses can only ruin your computer or OS so shut the fuck up and stop putting words in my mouth.

Feyrband
12-21-2008, 02:45
Yeah I no longer use any realtime anti-virus/anti-spyware protection. Just my good ol' brain, a firewall, and light-weight HIPS. I keep an on-demand scanner around for if I ever get infected, but I haven't needed it yet, and I'm pretty much an expert at removing them manually anyway.

same. i keep AVG and Spybot on my PC but not running, run CCleaner once or twice a week.

Ofuscado
12-21-2008, 02:47
Panda.

this.

Weeking
12-21-2008, 02:57
Avast! is vastly superior to AVG, but could slow your computer if it is old and you leave all the scanners active. AVG just scans on access. Avast! scans the network and lots of stuff like instant messages before you try to open them. When AVG started getting greedy and disabling features, I got Avast! instead.

iza
12-21-2008, 06:36
Avira Free is by far the best of the free ones in terms of detection rates, but it has a nagging popup every update.

Hyster
12-21-2008, 07:16
Ok, so the antivirus my dad bought me (Norton 2008) just ran out of subscription time. Before i go blowing a couple hundred bucks, is there a better one i should get?

If at all possible free because im saving up for a $1300 guitar.

AVG or Avast, (i use avast)

padge
12-21-2008, 10:20

QFT.
they will only find known viruses. like the new antivirus 2009 virus. and the other 10% of viruses that make the list to be scanned for. the other 90%, never infect enough to be put on the list.

and lol at avg free. will find anything, but most key loggers. so ya, you're safe.
i use Ethereal, or wireshark (http://www.wireshark.org/). you have to get a book and learn a thing or 2, but once you get the hang of it you can spot just about anything out of the norm. and i only run it when im going to a bunch of random sites.

sm007h
12-21-2008, 10:41
Avira Free is by far the best of the free ones in terms of detection rates, but it has a nagging popup every update.
The past two years its been rated better than the pay ones, as well. It was only recently that it surpassed Nod32's heuristic detection rates, which Nod32 is known to be one of or the best at detecting (and I tend to lean toward heuristic detections rather than the database detections that the larger, more popular companies spend more development on).

Anyway, it's a simple process to disable that pop-up. Check google if you use Avira and with its detection record and light resources there isn't another AV, free or otherwise, I'd recommend.

Hammin'Em
12-21-2008, 11:24
I got Avira on my desktop and NOD32 on my laptop, both work great. Only difference is, Avira is free, and NOD32 needs to be purchased.

Used AVG before, but it missed a lot -- and i mean a lot of viruses and spyware that both Avira and NOD32 were able to detect.

Woodiwood
12-21-2008, 11:57
If you take care you don't need antivirus... and I'm not joking.

Tomaj
12-21-2008, 11:58
i had avast but switched to AVG when my computer started slowing down, vound a shit load of adware and 4-5 trojans that avast didnt even notice when i did a full scan. never had any trouble with avg free you dont need it if you have CCCleaner though.

t1337Dude
12-21-2008, 13:36
I've said it before and I'll say it again. Fuck anti-viruses. Firefox, Search&Destroy, and common sense is all you need. Anti-viruses are useless these days. There's no way I can even think of that you can catch a virus, unless some guy online is like "HEY GUYZ, CLICK MY RAPIDSHARE LINK FOR HAX" or something and you believe him.

Marelt
12-21-2008, 17:02

Go die.

why the hate?

Fluffington
12-21-2008, 17:39
Listen here you peice of shit, I never once said that viruses can only ruin your computer or OS so shut the fuck up and stop putting words in my mouth.

Then how the fuck would you know if you have any?

It's simple, an anti-virus find and gets rid of viruses.

You do not have an anti-virus so there is nothing to find these viruses.

If you claim to not have a virus, you either used an anti-virus program or ar an idiot.

Viluin
12-21-2008, 18:16
Then how the fuck would you know if you have any?

It's simple, an anti-virus find and gets rid of viruses.

You do not have an anti-virus so there is nothing to find these viruses.

If you claim to not have a virus, you either used an anti-virus program or ar an idiot.

Or maybe we just don't have any suspicious processes running.

If you use a real-time antivirus you're an idiot. If the damn thing actually catches something you're an even bigger idiot. Viruses don't come out of nowhere, you and only you can get them on your system.

Jackhammer
12-21-2008, 18:21
Just grab a new AV program from clamwin.com. I have used it for years with no issues. The best part is the price.

iLoveMonkeys
12-21-2008, 18:22
I heard kapersky is one of the best out there

tsalin
12-21-2008, 18:43
Best thing is only surf with Mozilla Firefox (rather than the notoriously vulnerable Microsoft Internet Explorer) with the NoScript plugin. It prevents all scripts from running on any website. This, in conjunction with a firewall, is excellent.

Nicolie
12-21-2008, 18:55
http://www.avast.com/eng/download-avast-home.html

Ball-In-A-Cup
12-21-2008, 19:06
What I run: Avast AntiVirus, NoScript (Mozilla Add-on), McAfee Site Advisor (add-on), and SpyBot Search and Destroy.

None of them conflict with one another, and they're all free. NoScript can be annoying at first, but once you get a library of trusted sites going (happens naturally as you surf) it's awesome. And McAfee is a good (not always perfect) indicator of how trustworthy new sites are.

Boot Scan is my only real justification for Avast over AVG, but it is a very powerful tool.

Aragoni
12-21-2008, 19:11
I use Avast! and SpyBot Search and Destroy. NOD32 kicks ass but it's not for free. :(

kingpin
12-21-2008, 19:20
i have panda internet security 2009 and it's the best i ever had so far.

i used to have spybot, adaware and norton but still had all kinds of problems every now and then. now with panda i need nothing else. it's easy to configure, doesn't take much of my systems resources ( i don't even notice it exists and never had to disable it to increase performance), and it's the only thing i need, which means i save even more system resources from all the programms i would isntall.

and last but not least it's cheaper and has a cute little panda as an icon that beats everything any other company can think of.

kingpin
12-21-2008, 19:23
btw all of you mentioning freeware are just cheap bastards. you can pay 15$ a month for a game and not 50$ a year for your pc's protection?

"oh no, i'll eat five less burgers with cola and fries this year, i can't possibly do that!"

i say buy a complete internet security package and get done with it.

Ball-In-A-Cup
12-21-2008, 19:27
btw all of you mentioning freeware are just cheap bastards. you can pay 15$ a month for a game and not 50$ a year for your pc's protection?

"oh no, i'll eat five less burgers with cola and fries this year, i can't possibly do that!"

i say buy a complete internet security package and get done with it.

You're operating under the assumption: If it costs money, it must be better.
Norton is a system hog and not any better than Avast or AVG.

kingpin
12-21-2008, 19:30
You're operating under the assumption: If it costs money, it must be better.
Norton is a system hog and not any better than Avast or AVG.

yes i bet THAT'S why everyone is picking freeware, because it's better.

someone who gets payed for a job is likely to do it better than someone who owes you nothing.

Ball-In-A-Cup
12-21-2008, 19:46
yes i bet THAT'S why everyone is picking freeware, because it's better.

someone who gets payed for a job is likely to do it better than someone who owes you nothing.

You undervalue the productivity power of bored computer geeks. Also, I didn't argue that it was better, just that it was on par (although I do think Avast is better than Norton and McAfee in a lot of ways).

Additionally a guy who gets paid is only motivated to work hard enough so as not to get fired - a guy who does it because he wants to can be a lot more motivated and put a lot more effort into it. Your logic is flawed.

Finally, I'm sure there are some people who go with freeware just because they're cheap bastards, but there a distinction between paying for quality and throwing your money into a fucking hole.

Edit: One more thing - Most freeware companies also have a paid use version for corporate use, but they allow individuals to use a downgraded version for free. This downgraded version isn't worse per se, it just lacks features that are either useless to a not commercial user or can easily be gained through another freeware. So it's not like AVG and Avast! aren't in this for the money either.

Viluin
12-21-2008, 19:55
I just ran a full system scan with Spybot. This is the first scan I've run in like 8 months. All it found was a few harmless tracking cookies, nothing else.

t1337Dude
12-21-2008, 19:57
Or maybe we just don't have any suspicious processes running.

If you use a real-time antivirus you're an idiot. If the damn thing actually catches something you're an even bigger idiot. Viruses don't come out of nowhere, you and only you can get them on your system.

For once I agree with Viluin. anti-viruses have become so useless they've began to start alerting you when you've got something as little as a tracking cookie, as if that could actually harm your system. If you pay for an anti-virus, you're a fucking moron because

A) You're paying for something that's free elsewhere. There's so many free anti-virus applications out there that do the same shit. You honestly think you're going to catch some obscure virus that only a premium anti-virus is going to find? You're just wasting system resources.

B) You manage to catch viruses. How do you do that? I don't know

kingpin
12-21-2008, 19:58
You undervalue the productivity power of bored computer geeks. Also, I didn't argue that it was better, just that it was on par (although I do think Avast is better than Norton and McAfee in a lot of ways).

Additionally a guy who gets paid is only motivated to work hard enough so as not to get fired - a guy who does it because he wants to can be a lot more motivated and put a lot more effort into it. Your logic is flawed.

Finally, I'm sure there are some people who go with freeware just because they're cheap bastards, but there a distinction between paying for quality and throwing your money into a fucking hole.

Edit: One more thing - Most freeware companies also have a paid use version for corporate use, but they allow individuals to use a downgraded version for free. This downgraded version isn't worse per se, it just lacks features that are either useless to a not commercial user or can easily be gained through another freeware. So it's not like AVG and Avast! aren't in this for the money either.

yeye because everyone is working out of fear. nobody likes his job and tries to be better at it. i am not into philosophy here, fact is that freeware are inferior to the rest, which are not expensive to begin with.

also it's a fact that the only reason people are getting them is because they are free.

so buy a damn security package, it's 5$ a month and you won't need 4 different freeware that suck anyway.

like anyone would pick any of this crap if it had the same price as the others.

Caalador
12-21-2008, 20:00
I prefer Avast because of the bootscan feature, just found it generaly better then AVG.

Just like I find Spybot - Search & destroy better then ad-aware.

I have to agree with this, Ive used virtually every anti virus under the sun ive found Avast to be the best, it uses the least amount of memory and it dosnt slow down ur PC in anyway, U dont even know its running

DougDread
12-21-2008, 20:31
yeye because everyone is working out of fear. nobody likes his job and tries to be better at it. i am not into philosophy here, fact is that freeware are inferior to the rest, which are not expensive to begin with.

also it's a fact that the only reason people are getting them is because they are free.

so buy a damn security package, it's 5$ a month and you won't need 4 different freeware that suck anyway.

clueless.

sm007h
12-21-2008, 20:34

I read places like wilders security forum and independent reviews of AV programs. I used to use Nod32, which is not free, and is much better at heuristic detection than Norton, McAfee, Kaspersky, and Panda. The heuristic detection is the portion that will catch viruses that are not in the dB. The advantages are that the system resources are less demanding and quicker detection of in the wild viruses. The disadvantages include higher rate of false detection.

After Avira surpassed Nod32 in it's detection rates and false positives, I switched to it. Price had nothing to do with my decision. When I was maintaining my linux server, I used ClamAV. Although that was free also, price had nothing to do with my decision to use it.

If I wanted to, I can use McAfee free of charge since my University help desk will install it or provide it if we want. So instead of insulting people when you don't know what you are talking about, you should just do some basic googling and educate yourself on the various qualities of AV programs out there, free or otherwise.

EDIT: here are some sites that are often cited when comparing AV programs.
http://www.av-comparatives.org/
http://www.virusbtn.com/index

kingpin
12-21-2008, 20:51
clueless.

go get some more freeware.

kiasta
12-21-2008, 22:25
Norton and AVG are perhaps the WORST a/v you can get. AVG detects so many things as false positives to scare you into thinking you actually need it. And Norton...well it's self explanatory. You should use something that is actually good like Kaspersky or even Avast! (although avast is becoming a lot like avg recently). You could try NOD32, I personally have never used it but have heard good things about it. But AVG is shit and so is Norton.

kiasta
12-21-2008, 22:30

Or you could just use linux for anything important and only use your windows partition solely for gaming, just get some firewall and block everything but whatever mmo you feel like playing. That way you have little chance of getting anything. And be safe using Linux.