PDA

View Full Version : I hate Apple

Nexus
12-17-2008, 03:42
More than before.

I just got a nice shiny new ipod 120gb classic from my 'rents, which seemed really awesome at first.

I asked a few friends that already had an ipod about problems and issues with itunes, and things to look out for, and it all seemed fine.

It seemed like i'd just be able to install itunes, it would find everything I already have and sync it up.

I loaded up itunes, it found all my music and started organising it, it set it sync'ing and I come back an hour later to find that it's turned my entire 50gb metal collection into WMAs and deleted the originals!

Motherfucker done reduced the quality on EVERY SONG ON MY COMPUTER!!

This sucks because each and every file has been through mp3 at least once.

In all honesty, I probably won't notice the different in sound quality because of the sheer scale that Apple has fucked me over and the lack of points of references.

Apparently it seems it's not even that hard to stop it converting, but it doesn't ask if you want it to and doesn't tell you when it starts.

I KNEW ITUNES WAS A BAD IDEA! :bang:

/rant

Mulambo
12-17-2008, 03:46
Stupid computer!

[LoD] EE
12-17-2008, 03:50
Stupid Metal Music.

/growl

Paralda
12-17-2008, 03:50
I hate oranges.

Ungraylessness
12-17-2008, 03:53
Yeah fuck oranges

ClownFoot
12-17-2008, 03:59
Ipod classics suck. Sure, they hold a fuck of a lot more, but the nano is so much better. Much smaller, 100 bucks cheaper, and looks nicer. When the fuck are you going to be listening to 120gb worth of songs without having a chance to go home and change the songs on it anyway?

Ankh
12-17-2008, 03:59
Why the fuck do you have iTunes installed?

Winamp.

Sabbathius
12-17-2008, 04:05
You know the old saying, an apple a day keeps the doctor away? Destroy an Apple computer once a day, and you won't need a psychiatrist...

I dislike Apple too, and especially the Macs. Always have.

Paralda
12-17-2008, 04:19
http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y225/Paralda/motivatorforumfalloranges.jpg

antihero-zero
12-17-2008, 04:22
I'm not sure what I dislike more, Mac computers or the smug Mac users.

tsalin
12-17-2008, 04:37
Why the fuck do you have iTunes installed?

Winamp. You have to use iTunes to install songs on ur iPod, don't you?

Funny the OP mentions this, I just got an iPod 120gig last night as well. It did the "translate .wma to .mp3 thing" for me too, but my originals are still .wma files.

I need to figure out how to move and organize shit on here; using iTunes is a hassle.

Shrang
12-17-2008, 04:47
I'm not sure what I dislike more, Mac computers or the smug Mac users.

Tough decision... i think i go with the computers because idiots are universal so mac's aren't uniquely bad for that.

|Thanatos|
12-17-2008, 04:56
Me too. But I do think that itunes has improved over time. And my ipod is less glitchy now because of updates.

Beeblebrox
12-17-2008, 05:00

Saved for posterity.

Afayir
12-17-2008, 05:01
iTunes looks nice. That is all.

Paralda
12-17-2008, 05:05
Saved for posterity.

Aye, my second forumfall motivational poster.

Falokis
12-17-2008, 05:19
You have to use iTunes to install songs on ur iPod, don't you?No.

nathanpinard
12-17-2008, 06:13
I loaded up itunes, it found all my music and started organizing it, it set it sync'ing and I come back an hour later to find that it's turned my entire 50gb metal collection into WMAs and deleted the originals!

I'm pretty sure the originals weren't deleted. But the PC version could be vastly different.

And did it seriously convert them to WMA? That doesn't make sense at all.

losinglife
12-17-2008, 07:17
Ipod classics suck. Sure, they hold a fuck of a lot more, but the nano is so much better. Much smaller, 100 bucks cheaper, and looks nicer. When the fuck are you going to be listening to 120gb worth of songs without having a chance to go home and change the songs on it anyway?

why even get an ipod? You can get several other brand name mp3 players that are better and cheaper.

Ankh
12-17-2008, 07:22
You have to use iTunes to install songs on ur iPod, don't you?

Funny the OP mentions this, I just got an iPod 120gig last night as well. It did the "translate .wma to .mp3 thing" for me too, but my originals are still .wma files.

I need to figure out how to move and organize shit on here; using iTunes is a hassle.

Winamp handles ipod, so do a bunch of other apps.

heroshade
12-17-2008, 07:39
The only problem I have with Ipods is the fact that they scratch if you look at it hard.

Shane
12-17-2008, 07:50
I loaded up itunes, it found all my music and started organising it, it set it sync'ing and I come back an hour later to find that it's turned my entire 50gb metal collection into WMAs and deleted the originals!

Motherfucker done reduced the quality on EVERY SONG ON MY COMPUTER!!

This sucks because each and every file has been through mp3 at least once.

And you're an idiot.

First off, iTunes converts from WMV & WMA's to AAC. It doesn't convert MP3 to WMA.

You can thank Windows Media Player for that. I don't even know how you did that.

Also, iTunes moves your "old" shit that it converted to your Recycle Bin (or in the place it was found, I don't remember which), even if this was the case you'd still have your music.

I think you're on drugs or you're just a liar.

zie
12-17-2008, 07:59
Your first mistake was getting an mp3 player, douchebag.
Second mistake was getting an apple.

I'd say reflash it with rockbox 3.0 but i dont think it works on the "new" ipod classics yet =\

applesauce
12-17-2008, 08:08
Ohh. AppleĀ®.

*wipes sweat from brow*

Ankh
12-17-2008, 08:47
Your first mistake was getting an mp3 player, douchebag.
Second mistake was getting an apple.

I'd say reflash it with rockbox 3.0 but i dont think it works on the "new" ipod classics yet =\

Rockbox was useless last time I tried it, it got like 3 hours of battery life out of my ipod. Have they fixed it yet?

zie
12-17-2008, 08:51
Rockbox was useless last time I tried it, it got like 3 hours of battery life out of my ipod. Have they fixed it yet?

Dont know, I havnt used it in a few years and ive never gotten more than 3 hours of battery life out of an ipod with or without it anyway

I just ilke FLAC support.

Ankh
12-17-2008, 09:03
never gotten more than 3 hours of battery life out of an ipod

Bold is a shitty lie.

FLAC support is nice, yeah. Might check out the new rockbox.

dirtknap
12-17-2008, 11:56
anyone too stupid to click 'next' without reading the dialogue windows deserves what they get IMO.

Mac OSX could hardly be better.

Nexus
12-17-2008, 16:50
anyone too stupid to click 'next' without reading the dialogue windows deserves what they get IMO.
Except it didn't say in the dialog windows?

Anyway, i'm going to format my ipod and remove itunes from my computer, and employ other web methods of just using it as a removable disk drive.

Apparently its possible.

dirtknap
12-17-2008, 18:00
Except it didn't say in the dialog windows?

Anyway, i'm going to format my ipod and remove itunes from my computer, and employ other web methods of just using it as a removable disk drive.

Apparently its possible.

Yes it did, i just had to reimport my whole itunes library last night so it's fresh in my memory.

Not saying Apple are perfect, but have the balls to take the responsibility when you know or at least suspect it's partially your fault.

Nexus
12-17-2008, 18:36
Yes it did, i just had to reimport my whole itunes library last night so it's fresh in my memory.

Not saying Apple are perfect, but have the balls to take the responsibility when you know or at least suspect it's partially your fault.

It's still a stupid system. Anyway, i've ditched itunes and are now using floola to import my library.

Llewen
12-17-2008, 18:42
Personally, Apple software is some of the most annoying, bloated, invasive, hard to customize crap software I've ever had the displeasure to install. My feeling is that macs look pretty, and are great for newbs who know nothing about computers, but for anyone that likes to have any control whatsoever over what goes on on their computer, they are an f'n nightmare.

dirtknap
12-17-2008, 19:29
Personally, Apple software is some of the most annoying, bloated, invasive, hard to customize crap software I've ever had the displeasure to install. My feeling is that macs look pretty, and are great for newbs who know nothing about computers, but for anyone that likes to have any control whatsoever over what goes on on their computer, they are an f'n nightmare.

not going to disagree they aren't newb-friendly but OSX is also one of the hardest-core OSes for the serious techie, which is why so many professional programmers (such as myself) have them.

easy to use GUI stuff built on top of hardcore unix (BSD) underneath, with excellent support for command-line utils and various programming languages, dev tools and libs.

mac fills the needs of the 2 extreme ends of the computing spectrum, windows is really there for all the people in-between (but also including a large share of tech newbs too).

Ababoba
12-17-2008, 19:42

Awesomeness.

Mippoose
12-17-2008, 20:20
VLC player ftw.

Creative Zen Microphoto ftw.

Honest Bill
12-17-2008, 20:28
Dont know, I havnt used it in a few years and ive never gotten more than 3 hours of battery life out of an ipod with or without it anyway

I read this comment this morning at about 6.30 maybe 7.00
and decided to leave my Nano running

It is now 19.27 and it's still going. The meter says it's still half full.

Yours should be re-named I-Suck

Dragor
12-17-2008, 20:35
Fuck Ipod cheap MP3 players ftw!

PlugInMonster
12-17-2008, 20:41
The problem is with people who think Apple is the solution for everything. Buy Samsung MP3 players - they're truly better. Particularly the P2 - it blows away the IPod Nano in every way imaginable.

nathanpinard
12-17-2008, 21:12
Ipods sell well simply because they are tapered to people that don't know how to work electronics that much. The same crowd that Macs are aimed towards. Itunes and Ipod's work pretty well together.

The fact that Mac tends to show a more liberal approach, is because Steve Jobs was a major hippy at the birth of Apple, which was before Microsoft.

Apple was a giant, but then Steve Jobs totally messed up by signing a deal with Bill Gates. Thus, Bill Gates got the upper hand on sales by stealing the original Mac proto-type.

Battle
12-17-2008, 21:17
itunes is a pita

this is coming from a smug macbook user

I cant even figure out how to arrange my songs to play in a certain order

Honest Bill
12-17-2008, 21:19
itunes is a pita

Just create a playlist

sorros
12-17-2008, 21:20
MACs are garbage. Only good for newbies to computers, the programs are so freaking annoying and screw up everything.

btw, Paralda, nice orange pic.

Fruitbasket
12-17-2008, 21:23
First I thought this was about the fruit the apple, but sadly disappointed.

but that sucks that it deleted all the mp3 files into wma's

sorros
12-17-2008, 21:25
First I thought this was about the fruit the apple, but sadly disappointed.

but that sucks that it deleted all the mp3 files into wma's

Your name just made that slightly ironic/funny.

edit* Paralda, do I get to go on your list now? 2k+ posts.

Shane
12-17-2008, 21:27
MACs are garbage. Only good for newbies to computers, the programs are so freaking annoying and screw up everything.

Keep telling yourself that. Enjoy your Vista.

And yes, I like the orange pic.

sorros
12-17-2008, 21:29
Keep telling yourself that. Enjoy your Vista.

And yes, I like the orange pic.

yeah, Vista sucks too...they are improving it, but its still not that good. Macs are worse though.

XP was good. I do enjoy vista compared to Macs.

Indah
12-17-2008, 21:30
I love apples, specially them granny smiths. But fuck oranges, peeling them bitches suck.

nathanpinard
12-17-2008, 21:31

Out of curiosity. WHY do you think this?

I'm a Mac user, and they aren't garbage.

The logical argument is they are overpriced. But when it comes to professional use, they work quite well.

Now, I would give a shot at PC's because my budget makes it hard to upgrade Macs. But if I was a full business, I'd stick with Macs regardless, unless I switched to PC only software.

Llewen
12-17-2008, 21:35

not going to disagree they aren't newb-friendly but OSX is also one of the hardest-core OSes for the serious techie, which is why so many professional programmers (such as myself) have them.

easy to use GUI stuff built on top of hardcore unix (BSD) underneath, with excellent support for command-line utils and various programming languages, dev tools and libs.

mac fills the needs of the 2 extreme ends of the computing spectrum, windows is really there for all the people in-between (but also including a large share of tech newbs too).

itunes is a pita

Well, my bad Apple experience comes from the Windows version of iTunes, so maybe I would have a different opinion if I actually owned and used a Mac.

sorros
12-17-2008, 21:35
Out of curiosity. WHY do you think this?

I'm a Mac user, and they aren't garbage.

The logical argument is they are overpriced. But when it comes to professional use, they work quite well.

Now, I would give a shot at PC's because my budget makes it hard to upgrade Macs. But if I was a full business, I'd stick with Macs regardless, unless I switched to PC only software.

I just dislike the system in general. Most of my friends also dislike Apple and Macs. I just find PCs to be more useful, even if a Mac comes with all that "cool stuff". You can get all that "cool stuff" for free off the internet, so why pay more for that stuf when you can DL it for free? And, as i said, i just do not like the system. Valve doesnt like Macs either.

Itunes screws around on my PC a lot, and other programs of Apple annoy me as well. The 3G Iphone is quite annoying, as are all their Iphones, they are also an Ipod, which I like. Ipods are the only Apples products I like, but sadly, Itunes itself is retarded.

Dredgon
12-17-2008, 21:37
I like a good apple, it's delicious and moist.

nathanpinard
12-17-2008, 21:37
I just dislike the system in general. Most of my friends also dislike Apple and Macs. I just find PCs to be more useful, even if a Mac comes with all that "cool stuff". You can get all that "cool stuff" for free off the internet, so why pay more for that stuf when you can DL it for free? And, as i said, i just do not like the system. Valve doesnt like Macs either.

Alright, because I don't judge based on that. It's more professional use for me.

Plus, it's just the fact I've used them since 1999. And I've hardly had ANY hardware problems at all.

Macs however, are not infallible when it comes to the OS. But that's depends on the circumstances.

EDIT: For gaming I use boot camp. But production is the main focus.

Actually in the long run, I'm going to build a few PC's and use them as slaves for the Mac :P

sorros
12-17-2008, 21:49
also, Steam isnt on Macs, Valve doesn't like them. I love steam.

The Cougar
12-17-2008, 22:00
I hate iTunes, iPhone and Apple in general.

http://www.anythingbutipod.com/

PlugInMonster
12-17-2008, 22:03
I hate iTunes, iPhone and Apple in general.

http://www.anythingbutipod.com/

The aluminum MacBook is pretty nice. I just bought it as a replacement for my 2004 Dell tower.

Lotharr
12-17-2008, 22:13
I don't like applefruits in general. Somehow, I've grown apart of them.

Llewen
12-17-2008, 22:21
I should say, I like Apple as a company better than I like Microsoft, but Linux rocks my world. However, I enjoy my games more than I like any of them, and regrettably, only Windows will run all of my games. So I am stuck with Windows...

GFH_Spike
12-17-2008, 22:39
I'm not a fan of the hipster crowd that surrounds Apple and its products. Steve Jobs is also an egomaniac.

nathanpinard
12-17-2008, 23:13
I'm not a fan of the hipster crowd that surrounds Apple and its products. Steve Jobs is also an egomaniac.

That much is true.

But don't tell me all the Apple users are the "hipster" crowd.

I may be a musician, but FAR from "hipster"

Nexus
12-17-2008, 23:21
I also hate macs. Here are three scenario's that piss me off;

-Put a music cd in a mac, copy the files onto the desktop, remove the disk, files dissapear. Nothing is ever copied, just has shortcuts made.

-If your program crashes, everything you were working on is then just gone.

-If you delete something, it's just gone.No way to get it back, it's just gone.

nathanpinard
12-17-2008, 23:25
-Put a music cd in a mac, copy the files onto the desktop, remove the disk, files dissapear. Nothing is ever copied, just has shortcuts made.

Not in OSX. It copies the files. In OS8 or 9 it did do that dragging thing. In a way the CD had it's own desktop. You had to option-click to copy.

-If your program crashes, everything you were working on is then just gone.

You assuming if you don't save right? How is this different with PC's? It depends how the software was built. If you have to save to save your work, or the file updates as you update it.

-If you delete something, it's just gone.No way to get it back, it's just gone.

That's incorrect. Macs can restore files as well. Unless you do a 0 write, which kills anything on any platform.

EDIT: There's a restore utility by Apple, but often times 3rd parties always have more features and work better. Much like the PC end.

dirtknap
12-18-2008, 11:25
iPods are a pretty good product, albeit slightly overpriced, but by far the best Apple product IMO is the macbook pro line of laptops. by far the best laptops around - fast, sleek, sexy, durable, light, reliable. i have owned 3 different ones over the past 5 years.

katahlyn
12-18-2008, 13:11
Apple has always been bad at sofware: iTunes, QuickTime, Safari. They all suck. They could hold hands with Adobe and go to hell as far as I'm concerned. :D

nathanpinard
12-18-2008, 13:14
Apple has always been bad at sofware: iTunes, QuickTime, Safari. They all suck. They could hold hands with Adobe and go to hell as far as I'm concerned. :D

Uhhh...Quicktime? How about no. MP4 is probably the highest quality you can get at that size.

Safari I dont' use, so can't really say. I like iTunes a lot better than WMP any day.

Logic Studio Pro and Final Cut are great programs.

Llewen
12-18-2008, 13:45

Uhhh...Quicktime? How about no. MP4 is probably the highest quality you can get at that size.

The format may be good, but the software sucks. And yes, Adobe and Apple both release the same kind of crap. Updates that aren't configurable, hugely bloated, can't choose where to install them or what components to install, brutally slow load times, files that don't fully load, plugins that lock up browsers, etc. etc.

I remember one of Apples products, it may have been iTunes. I wanted to turn off the auto updates because it had the nasty habit of trying to download updates, and forcing itself to the foreground, in the middle of intense gaming. I think I finally found the option to turn off the auto updates, but when I chose the option, it made no difference. I had to go into the registry to turn it off - utter crap.

Slaker
12-18-2008, 14:00
I never had problem with iTunes, you're just a newbie.

Llewen
12-18-2008, 15:05
I never had problem with iTunes, you're just a newbie.

Yep, I'm a newbie... Typical brilliant Forumfall contribution to a discussion.

ie. "I don't have anything intelligent to say, and I'd like to pad my post count, so I'll just toss out one of my often used, tired old insults."

Let me guess, you're the kind of person who just clicks "Next" and "OK" whenever there is something to click, and doesn't give a shit where the software actually goes, or whether you are ever going to use half the crap that the installer is trying to put on your hard drive?

"Hmmm, my computer is getting a bit slow... Time to buy a new 733t computer!!!"

caldrin
12-18-2008, 16:06
1 mouse button, and dont get me started on the over hyped shiney iphone that is 3 years out of date before it was released..

katahlyn
12-18-2008, 17:58

Safari I dont' use, so can't really say. I like iTunes a lot better than WMP any day.

Logic Studio Pro and Final Cut are great programs.

Like Llewen said, I have no problem with the format. I'm talking about the programs. They all come with autoupdate features that install background services without asking for my permission. That in addition to the fact that they are buggy and cumbersome. :rolleyes: