PDA

View Full Version : Thinking of playing Baldurs gate II...

Erratic
12-12-2008, 11:46
I never played any of them, but since Dragon Age Origins is coming out eventually i kind of got in the mood. So keeping that in mind, is there anything I should be aware of, or add to, or know before starting this apparently epic game, and also does it still hold up well over the years?

Thanks in advance...

Ankh
12-12-2008, 11:47
Play no.1 first.

That is all.

Pernix
12-12-2008, 11:51
Play no.1 first.

Yep. Both well worth it.

Ankh
12-12-2008, 11:53
Reason being there's a throng of returning characters, and the plot is a continuation. You are missing out on a big deal if you play no. 2 first.

Helgeran
12-12-2008, 11:59
I really didn't like BG1 as much as 2 because of all those random encounters every 100 meters.

Here are some cool mods for both games (get tutu if you're gonna play BG1 or you'll have to play at like 400x300 resolution).

Badem
12-12-2008, 12:32
Start at number one, then work your way through them, also use the Hex cheats to give yourself free loot since you are supposed to be an uber toon

losinglife
12-12-2008, 13:02
plus if you play 1 first then you can import your shit into 2 wich is nice

GRCPan
12-12-2008, 13:04
Do it.

Morthor
12-12-2008, 13:06
If you get that far, its well worth getting the expansion for bg2. You'll probably have more than enough gameplay hours to last you till DF though with just bg1 alone.

Staatsschutz
12-12-2008, 13:08
baldurs gate II rocked. probably the best solo rpg i ever played (you can skip part 1, its not nearly as good as part 2)

Kraven
12-12-2008, 13:12
two is pretty awful if you start out with it. Play the first one first, and play 2 as a continuation of one and it is EPIC...

Baldurs Gate is the shit.

lordbelerial
12-12-2008, 13:32
as most here have said, yeah, baldur's gate series is phenomenal, get both 1 and 2 and both expansions, and you should enjoy countless hours of pure win. I was just talking about this actually last night too with my friend...

why is it we have to go back to 10 year old games to find good stuff, and stuff that is replayable? Games really are so much shit these days.

Barbarossa
12-12-2008, 13:32
I support this thread.

It's a quality thread made by a quality Forumfall veteran and long time follower.

Harsher
12-12-2008, 13:47
1 doesn't hold up over time aswell.

Start at 2, it's great.

google the story line in BG1 or something.

Arkh
12-12-2008, 13:54
Play no.1 first.

That is all.
640x480. My eyes hurt everytime I play it on my 24". But it's worth the pain.

NapalmEnema
12-12-2008, 14:00
as most here have said, yeah, baldur's gate series is phenomenal, get both 1 and 2 and both expansions, and you should enjoy countless hours of pure win. I was just talking about this actually last night too with my friend...

why is it we have to go back to 10 year old games to find good stuff, and stuff that is replayable? Games really are so much shit these days.

Because all games these days are trying too hard in the graphics department and spending too much money on pixel shading and 3d rather than gameplay and content. 2d > 3d when it comes to cost and return on investment.

heroshade
12-12-2008, 14:26
I never played any of them, but since Dragon Age Origins is coming out eventually i kind of got in the mood. So keeping that in mind, is there anything I should be aware of, or add to, or know before starting this apparently epic game, and also does it still hold up well over the years?

Thanks in advance...

Prepare to be insta-killed and uninformed.

Or play Diablo 2. I find it funner.

Ankh
12-12-2008, 14:46
640x480. My eyes hurt everytime I play it on my 24". But it's worth the pain.

I play both games at 1680x1050. There's a resolution hack out there for number 2, and if you have number 1 set up with the BGtutu mod, it works for that as well.

BGtutu is a mod that converts BG1 to BG2s engine, including the ruleset and all that, I highly recommend it.

jonyak
12-12-2008, 14:49
Icewind Dale 2 beat both BG's and icewind dale 1, IMO.

I loved that game... so many twists and turns of plot...

BG2... came a close second. I put alot of time into those 2 games.

BG1... was really good as well.

Icewind dale 1... I never really liked.

Arkh
12-12-2008, 14:54
I play both games at 1680x1050. There's a resolution hack out there for number 2, and if you have number 1 set up with the BGtutu mod, it works for that as well.

BGtutu is a mod that converts BG1 to BG2s engine, including the ruleset and all that, I highly recommend it.
Linky plz. My google-fu is low atm.

Ankh
12-12-2008, 14:57
Linky plz. My google-fu is low atm.

This site has loads of unofficial fixes and the resolution mod.
http://gibberlings3.net/

On the right, get easytutu and the tutu fixpack. This site also has loads of mods.
http://www.pocketplane.net/mambo/index.php?option=content&task=blogcategory&id=143&Itemid=98

DoveAlexa
12-12-2008, 14:58
I really didn't like BG1 as much as 2 because of all those random encounters every 100 meters.

Here are some cool mods for both games (get tutu if you're gonna play BG1 or you'll have to play at like 400x300 resolution).

Yes, I tried the first one and got so pissed off at the pace and my character's weakness. I played BG2 and the expansion first, and I didn't really feel I was missing out too much, still had a huge emotional impact on me (the plot and characters).

As was mentioned, getting a hex editor to make it so you don't hit max level in either BG or BG2 without their expansions will make the game a lot better. maxing out at level 7 in BG1 even though you could get MUCH higher blows, you really need those levels to make the game not a pain.

Also, you may want to mess around with your characters (in the cheating sort of way XD) with the "gatekeeper (http://www.mud-master.com/shadowkeeper/index.html)" and "shadowkeeper (http://www.mud-master.com/shadowkeeper/index.html)" trainers.

As for the mods the quote mentioned, I had one site bookmarked with a lot of them, and now their all gone ;_;. If anyone could find me some I'd appreciate it. Especially more *cough* player dialogues. (Anomen is a tool...)

Also, here's a walkthrough for BG2 (http://www.gamefaqs.com/computer/doswin/file/470765/34147), maybe don't use it your first time, but there is so many missable things in BG2 so its good for a 100% finished game.

This is the best RPG you will ever play ;)

Dragor
12-12-2008, 15:02
while we are at it, anyone know where I can buy them both online? they never made it to the middle east :lmao:

flampy
12-12-2008, 16:08
play BG1 first!!! but BG2 is good also.

Slaker
12-12-2008, 16:09
Play the first one first. Its a really good game.

Atnas
12-12-2008, 16:10
I've tried to play it so many times but the weird fucking rules and the greyish colours always puts me down.

Morthor
12-12-2008, 16:12
Prepare to be insta-killed and uninformed.

Or play Diablo 2. I find it funner.

Man, you have to be thick as shit to have that happen to you. I practically finished BG1 when I was 8 years old. If you don't have any patience or appreciation of a good storyline in an RPG, you shouldnt have bought it in the first place.

willithesm
12-12-2008, 16:13
You really should start with 1, it was a really great experience, unless you have already.

willithesm
12-12-2008, 16:14
while we are at it, anyone know where I can buy them both online? they never made it to the middle east :lmao:

On their site or just <cut> if you really have no other way.

Diet Pepsi
12-12-2008, 16:52
I also say start with BG1, especially if you are not familiar with the rules. BG2 you can create a God-Like character because kits/dual classing makes it somewhat exploitable. I prefer single class bards and thieves because they are more in line with the abilities of everybody else in the party. That being said, if everybody on Darkfall is a Kensai-Mage, I do not think this game is for me.

lordbelerial
12-12-2008, 22:04
I would really say to do the 1st one first, the continuing storyline is just great great fun. Just use tutu to do the first game with second engine

Bissen
12-12-2008, 22:35

Thanks in advance...

Do me a frickin favor and complete them in the right order dammit! You would be missing out on the greatest (only done better by torment ofc) story line ever...

And don't forget expansions! And Icewind dale wasn't bad either!

StainlessSteelRat
12-12-2008, 22:36
Do you need some kind of software to run in the background to slow your machine down to run old games like this?

ineluki
12-12-2008, 22:57

Thanks in advance...

Start from number 1.

Dragon Age Origins sound like the same type of system that The Witcher uses.

Get the The Witcher EE...

iza
12-13-2008, 00:06
Do you need some kind of software to run in the background to slow your machine down to run old games like this?
No, it runs at a fixed framerate.
The only problem is the uber-low resolution in BG1 (320x240 I think. Or maybe it's 640x480)

GFH_Spike
12-13-2008, 00:30
After starting off with Baldur's Gate 1 and finishing up Baldur's Gate II + Throne of Bhaal, if you find yourself attracted to the complexity of the plot more so than the combat itself and also appreciate the consequences inherent in dialogue responses, I would highly suggest looking into Planescape: Torment.

That is one of my favorite games of all time. Truly a work of art.

kingpin
12-13-2008, 00:42
you won't regret it. they just don't make games like this anymore, my best bet is with dragon age but i don't think they'll achieve this level of perfection again.

btw does the game run in vista, and what is the highest resolution, cause i want to buy and play it again.

planescape is so much inferior to me though. i was too looking for a baldur's gate alternative and everyone said i should get planescape, but it just got boring after the first 30min.

the atmosphere is too heavy, and although the script and dialogues are even more detailed, it's just not the environment that i like. in other words Amn>whatever plane.

what the hell was bioware thinking when they decided to abandon the baldur's gate saga :(

Nergal
12-13-2008, 01:43
Bugger using tutu, do the Big World installation.

Combines both games plus all expansions and every mod they could get to work together. A little fiddly to install but what a massive massive game. My install comes to 16.4 gigs now with all the extra content :D

http://www.shsforums.net/index.php?showtopic=37536

Tyler
12-13-2008, 05:00
you'll be doing a great diservice to yourself by skipping number one. it is the better game in the series with more content by far. and an overall better since of immersion.

BG2 is great, it's just not as good as the first one.

xxxsqualxxx
12-13-2008, 05:26
If you are truly (and substantially) more interested in story then combat then playing through BG1 may be worth it (BG2 has a better story regardless, but BG1 is decent).

If, however, you have interest in combat (and in BG combat is really more of solving a puzzle then anything) I suggest you go straight to BG2 because playing BG1 may somewhat ruin it for you. BG1's combat is a great deal more simplified and random then BG2 because you have less skills at your disposal (being lower level).

Story-wise, Planescape: Torment is also very deep (but combat is similarly as simple as BG1). It's benefit is, however, that there are usually ways to avoid fighting.

It all depends on your tastes.

p.s. I've played through BG2 a dozen times and don't really like BG1. I like combat/puzzles about as much as story.

Edit: Spelluring.

Stax
12-13-2008, 05:42
Yah, I loved all the Baldurs Gate's. They are old as heck, but it would be worth playing them. I'm almost tempted to replay them again. Play the first BG then the second BG. You can transfer you chacters into the second.

Saturday Saint
12-13-2008, 07:14
Play Baldur's Gate, then get BG2. Get Throne of Bhaal, also. Tales of the Swordcoast is optional.

Helgeran
12-13-2008, 07:26
Speaking of classic games I just played some Counter-strike and my god does that game kick some ass. How come all other shooters just make you feel like you're playing around while this shit is sharp and has accessible mind games?

paade
12-13-2008, 07:50
i must be the only cool guy in the universe who likes BG1 over BG2. Especially with that dwarf tower expansion, that was awesome.
But RPG wise, Planescape:Torment kicks Baldurs ass any day.
But then again, Fallout 2 is a god among RPGs.
Just play F2.

Buckk Dich
12-13-2008, 07:54
bg2 is a classic

iza
12-13-2008, 08:09
After reading this thread, I'm in the mood for playing them one more time, for old time's sake.
I lost my CDs, but I do technically own them so I don't feel bad about downloading...

*installing now

Buckk Dich
12-13-2008, 08:18
I get bored of click through the same story again and end up quitting.

Layedballer
12-13-2008, 08:27
bg2 is a classic

I get bored of click through the same story again and end up quitting.

Well which is it? Is it a classic? Or boring?

Saturday Saint
12-13-2008, 08:46
Well which is it? Is it a classic? Or boring?

I think it's a classic that gets boring after beating it 30 times.

iza
12-13-2008, 19:07
Nope. I've beat it 30 times, still not boring.

Froed
12-13-2008, 19:26
Play no.1 first.

That is all.

Okay OP, do what I did:

Buy the original, BG2, and the BG2 expansion. Then, go to Pocket Plane Group (http://www.pocketplane.net/mambo/index.php?option=com_content&task=blogcategory&id=143&Itemid=98) and follow the instructions for Easytutu.

BGtutu is a mod that essentially puts everything from BG2 into the BG1 story and environment. That means the new engine, classes, spells, and more (the only bad thing is that the water is either green or it runs real slow, for me at least). It also helps to download the NPC mod for BG, which will flesh out the NPCs in a similar style to BG2.

Trust me.

PS: BG2 is the king of RPGs.

Nergal
12-13-2008, 23:41
Okay OP, do what I did:

Buy the original, BG2, and the BG2 expansion. Then, go to Pocket Plane Group (http://www.pocketplane.net/mambo/index.php?option=com_content&task=blogcategory&id=143&Itemid=98) and follow the instructions for Easytutu.

BGtutu is a mod that essentially puts everything from BG2 into the BG1 story and environment. That means the new engine, classes, spells, and more (the only bad thing is that the water is either green or it runs real slow, for me at least). It also helps to download the NPC mod for BG, which will flesh out the NPCs in a similar style to BG2.

Trust me.

PS: BG2 is the king of RPGs.

You should use the Big World install so you can play almost all the mods too.

Targuil
12-14-2008, 00:57
I suggest to try Arcanum: Of Steamworks and Magick Obscura too. Just get patches and most of the bugs are gone.

Wonderboy2402
12-14-2008, 01:02
Play baldur's gate 1 and its expansion Tales of the sword Coast.

I feel as a CRPG is offers everything in all departs for a game of that era. Yea, it can be hard to overcome the graphics but as mentioned by others, use Tutu to help with that. BG 1 holds a special place on my game shelf. I have to agree that something has been lossed with the transition from sprite drawn games to the 3d ones... I have a hard time puting my finger on it but it doesn't strike the same feel as golden oldies... Mass effect was perhaps the last recent Modern RPGs to really make me sit back and go 'WOW.'

I liked BG2 but not as much as 1. I think that BG1 was a simpliar game, with a fairly straight plot with some twists and some fun exploring the world map and pick up interesting characters.

The second game is definatley more complex and offers hundreds of hours of sidequesting and character evolution. Being able to start at level 7 or so and going to 20+ means you really see the power of a high level dnd characer. The graphics and everything else are also better.

Both are awesome but you should play them in order and port your character to continue the epic saga.

iza
12-14-2008, 06:28
What I like better about BG1 was the world map; there was a whole bunch of places you could go in between all the important destinations that were completely irrelevant to any part of the plot, but were still fun to explore. Whereas in BGII, all the destinations were far away from each other, and important; no exploring in between just for the fun of it.

Odium
12-14-2008, 19:19
It's quite a shame they don't make games like KOTOR and BG anymore. The Neverwinter Nights games have been decent but they are nowhere near what BG used to be.

Gibsnag
12-14-2008, 20:24
I've played BG I through solo as a Fighter / Thief (years ago now). I'm tempted to do that again with Tutu (or more likely some form of Thief kit) and continue to solo through BG II.

I remember killing Sarevok in something like three x5 backstabs using invisibility potions. Killing those fucking skeletons to get there was substantially harder than he and his mates were.

nathanpinard
12-14-2008, 21:00
I just ordered the 4 in 1 pack and then I'm going to install the Big World project. OP, I love you for starting this thread.

It reminded me of how awesome this game is.

The only other game like this that is just as awesome is Fallout 1-2.

Gibsnag
12-14-2008, 22:38
I just ordered the 4 in 1 pack and then I'm going to install the Big World project. OP, I love you for starting this thread.

It reminded me of how awesome this game is.

The only other game like this that is just as awesome is Fallout 1-2.

The 4in1 pack had some problems in either the UK or the whole of Europe, I think that they put some US stuff onto the disks and you have to install some patches to get it to run in the UK ( or Europe, not sure).

iza
12-14-2008, 23:08
Ooooh, Tutu is awesome.

Atnas
12-15-2008, 10:33
Hey uh, I wanted to try out Icewind Dale 2 so I borrowed it from a friend, but... jesus christ this game wasn't made for the XP! Does anyone know of a fix so the gamespeed wont be lagging and triple the normal gamespeed? How the heck can I make it "normal"? I tried running it in compability mode fo 98, but it didn't work out at all.

Ankh
12-15-2008, 14:06
Hey uh, I wanted to try out Icewind Dale 2 so I borrowed it from a friend, but... jesus christ this game wasn't made for the XP! Does anyone know of a fix so the gamespeed wont be lagging and triple the normal gamespeed? How the heck can I make it "normal"? I tried running it in compability mode fo 98, but it didn't work out at all.

You've probably got the FPS set too high in the setup, it's directly tied to game speed.

Atnas
12-15-2008, 15:35
You've probably got the FPS set too high in the setup, it's directly tied to game speed.

Other problems bother me though. The gameplay is choppy and laggy, and... I don't know how to explain it but instead of shadows it's pitch black and cubes, same when text comes up on the screen- it is as if the whole box they used for the text shows up, covers 1/5 of the screen (even though only 1/20 of the box is used for text) and makes it impossible to play.

Ankh
12-15-2008, 15:48
Here's a link with a bunch of tips.

http://www.shsforums.net/index.php?showtopic=30840

iza
12-15-2008, 20:55
Other problems bother me though. The gameplay is choppy and laggy, and... I don't know how to explain it but instead of shadows it's pitch black and cubes, same when text comes up on the screen- it is as if the whole box they used for the text shows up, covers 1/5 of the screen (even though only 1/20 of the box is used for text) and makes it impossible to play.
Try messing with the graphics options, like disabling hardware acceleration and such.

A lot of older games don't play nice with newer graphics drivers.

Atnas
12-16-2008, 01:58
I'll check them both out once I've stopped dying in BG1! I need someone to scan the rules into my brain because I can't be bothered to read up on them and all I know is that I want a bard as main character but that's not something the game takes kindly to!

Saturday Saint
12-16-2008, 02:00
I'll check them both out once I've stopped dying in BG1! I need someone to scan the rules into my brain because I can't be bothered to read up on them and all I know is that I want a bard as main character but that's not something the game takes kindly to!

This means that you want to hide behind everybody else until you're high enough level to survive a hit or two.

Atnas
12-16-2008, 10:52
This means that you want to hide behind everybody else until you're high enough level to survive a hit or two.

But all I've got is Imoen.

Lethn
12-16-2008, 11:06
If you guys are having blocky shadow problems and such you need to go back to the bare minimum, it sucks I know but if you switch it back to 16 bit and enable Software mirror btl then it should work after that.

Turning it to 32 bit causes the 'tile seams' that appear.

Atnas
12-16-2008, 11:37
If you guys are having blocky shadow problems and such you need to go back to the bare minimum, it sucks I know but if you switch it back to 16 bit and enable Software mirror btl then it should work after that.

Turning it to 32 bit causes the 'tile seams' that appear.

Allright, thanks, I'll try that aswell. The voices for character in Icewind Dale 2 are some of the best ones I've seen, haha!

Lethn
12-16-2008, 11:54
Allright, thanks, I'll try that aswell. The voices for character in Icewind Dale 2 are some of the best ones I've seen, haha!

I can't get enough of Minsc in BG2 he's just fucking kick ass, haven't really played the Icewind Dale series though, may have to try it for nostalgia value.

Atnas
12-16-2008, 12:19
I can't get enough of Minsc in BG2 he's just fucking kick ass, haven't really played the Icewind Dale series though, may have to try it for nostalgia value.

It didn't work! It can't even start up without starting to lagg, intros going choppy and all sorts of stuff.

Atnas
12-16-2008, 14:27
And now Baldurs Gate 1 tutu thing has started to crash on me. Loaded three different saves, but crashes to desktop in the middle of the loading. Both ID and BG must have some sort of Anti-Atnas installed.

Unzaree
12-16-2008, 21:08
Seems like a good game wonder why I never played it before, gonna try it out tomorrow :D

akrippler
12-16-2008, 21:11
Icewind dale 2 was pure awesome, IWD1 I couldnt not get into for some reason, maybe its because I played 2 first, But I loved 2 soooo much and was incredibly butthurt when i couldnt get 1 going.

Now I remember the reason I couldnt play 1 is because everytime I left the starting area, the game would reload my last save...... :(

Atnas
12-16-2008, 21:41
Icewind dale 2 was pure awesome, IWD1 I couldnt not get into for some reason, maybe its because I played 2 first, But I loved 2 soooo much and was incredibly butthurt when i couldnt get 1 going.

Now I remember the reason I couldnt play 1 is because everytime I left the starting area, the game would reload my last save...... :(

Help me get Icewind Dale 2 working man!

Norenche
12-16-2008, 22:12
Play Ultima VII and Ultima VII: Serpent Isle using Exult :P

akrippler
12-16-2008, 22:19
Help me get Icewind Dale 2 working man!

I remember when I was on XP i didnt have those problems, I dont know what I did different. But replaying it on Vista gave me EXACTLy what your talking about, try going back to 16bit, and messing with a few other video options. TBH I just delt with the big type boxes and shitter shadows. Sucks but, its a fun game worth it :(

Atnas
12-17-2008, 02:27
I remember when I was on XP i didnt have those problems, I dont know what I did different. But replaying it on Vista gave me EXACTLy what your talking about, try going back to 16bit, and messing with a few other video options. TBH I just delt with the big type boxes and shitter shadows. Sucks but, its a fun game worth it :(

I've been trying with 16-bit, but no luck. I can't play it the way it is now I'm afraid! D'oh!

Well, BG1 works again at least!

Tomaj
12-17-2008, 02:36

Thanks in advance...

as stated before play 1 first i played em both and loved em but you have to be the kind of person who like D&D role play stuff. its alot like NWN but diferent at the same time, if it sounds like your kinda game play if not dont.

StainlessSteelRat
12-18-2008, 17:09
BGtutu
Easy tutu
Trilogy

Which is best and which doesn't require BG2 to be installed. (Can't find my disks)

Also, what are some 'key' mods to use (other than the tutus) for BG1?

akrippler
12-18-2008, 17:12
Hopefully I can get my BG discs to magically appear tonight.

iza
12-18-2008, 17:45
BGtutu
Easy tutu
Trilogy

Which is best and which doesn't require BG2 to be installed. (Can't find my disks)

Also, what are some 'key' mods to use (other than the tutus) for BG1?
They all require BGII installed.