PDA

View Full Version : Hope this doesnt push back the launch

Vaydoe
12-06-2008, 23:18
Riots Erupt in Greece After Cops Shoot and Kill Boy, 16
Saturday, December 06, 2008

E-Mail Print Share:

ATHENS, Greece — Rioting has erupted in central Athens after police reportedly shot and killed a 16-year-old boy.

Witnesses say the violence began Saturday evening when youths in the Exarchia neighborhood of the capital attacked a police car with rocks and firebombs, and one of the officers inside fired a weapon that seriously wounded the teenage boy.

Two Greek TV stations say the youth was rushed to a hospital but died upon arrival.

The news enraged hundreds of youths in the area who began rioting by attacking other police cars in the area with stones and firebombs. Police have responded by firing tear gas at the crowd, evacuating some restaurants in the area, and closing some streets to all traffic.

Deirbhathdellte
12-06-2008, 23:20
seems like only some streets and restaurants are being evacuated. It's also on a saturday evening, I doubt anyones trying to get work done, but you never know.

white magi
12-06-2008, 23:21
This goes in OT and you obviously have a heart of stone.

Dragor
12-06-2008, 23:21
well that sucks, but no 1 told the boy to go and hit a car with firebombs :confused:

well I dont think it will delay the game

TheFlameDeluge
12-06-2008, 23:22

E-Mail Print Share:

ATHENS, Greece — Rioting has erupted in central Athens after police reportedly shot and killed a 16-year-old boy.

Witnesses say the violence began Saturday evening when youths in the Exarchia neighborhood of the capital attacked a police car with rocks and firebombs, and one of the officers inside fired a weapon that seriously wounded the teenage boy.

Two Greek TV stations say the youth was rushed to a hospital but died upon arrival.

The news enraged hundreds of youths in the area who began rioting by attacking other police cars in the area with stones and firebombs. Police have responded by firing tear gas at the crowd, evacuating some restaurants in the area, and closing some streets to all traffic.
/facepalm
super advanced discussion, someone got mugged in Chicago, and there's a traffic jam in maine, you don't see Compaq shutting down do you?

I mean it could POSSSIBLY affect them but, you're really dumb

Praetorian007
Sort of a sad commentary on things, when a child dies and civil unrest breaks out, and someone is only worried about it affecting a game launch. *chuckle*

Deirbhathdellte
/facepalm
super advanced discussion, someone got mugged in Chicago, and there's a traffic jam in maine, you don't see Compaq shutting down do you?

I mean it could POSSSIBLY affect them but, you're really dumb

Easy there big guy... No reason to get worked up over it.

flakmonky
12-06-2008, 23:26
The police were under fire, they reacted in a completely acceptable way. It is sad that the youth died, but the rioters are ridiculous. If the boy was part of the group attacking the car, than I see nothing wrong with the actions on the part of the police, they were defending them-selves. Thus, why the riot?

@Praetorian: I don't think that child is the right word to use. Most people think of children as innocent and ignorant, a youth of 16 is not fully under this umbrella, he was old enough to take responsibilities for his actions.

Dragor
12-06-2008, 23:27
The police were under fire, they reacted in a completely acceptable way. It is sad that the youth died, but the rioters are ridiculous. If the boy was part of the group attacking the car, than I see nothing wrong with the actions on the part of the police, they were defending them-selves. Thus, why the riot?

cause today youth is full of shit :ninja:

TheFlameDeluge
12-06-2008, 23:29

If someone goes to UT and graffiti's "UT SUCKS A&M ROCKS YOUR WORLD" on a school building, expect to see 20 caravans of people making a trip to college station and returning the favor 20fold, broken glass and all.

riots don't have to make sense

EDIT: its sad that a youth died, but why do people make a bigger deal when children die than when normal people die... are children somehow more valuable than normal people? I'm considered a youth/young adult (20) and I hate how the media makes a big fuss about when someone my age ish dies and doesn't do the same when someone like 40 dies.

flakmonky
12-06-2008, 23:29

Hey, I resent that. Some of us have level heads, and I doubt that your elders thought any different about you. Think please, preferably before you speak.

@Deluge: they have to have a spark, and that usually requires something more than just what happened. I would be interested in hearing how the original story was covered.

Mebit
12-06-2008, 23:30

Say that 1 more time plz

Niles
12-06-2008, 23:32
Stupid kid, he got what he deserved.

Cacti
12-06-2008, 23:33
Why would you not post this in off topic? It is clearly OT.

TheFlameDeluge
12-06-2008, 23:34
Couchsurfing Americans have trouble imagining other nations being more complex than a main street with a gas station, so a riot in Athens means all of Greece is involved from the point of view of a typical Fox News viewer.

this was exactly what i was trying to say in my post that got flamed... no need to say fox news viewer though that's stereotyping sh!t (though fox news viewers ARE mainly conservative/supernationalist)

thaull
12-06-2008, 23:35
It all started after it was announced that Darkfall was postponed until 2009. The 400 pound kid went on a rampage after drinking his daily 10 gallon Mountain Dew diet. He gathered an obese club of gamers. He was so enraged after leaving WoW, thinking it would be released 2008. It ended in shame for Aventurine after they realised what they have done.

Archangelus
12-06-2008, 23:35

This.

It's awful that all the shit they have in their heads cost so many lives.

flakmonky
12-06-2008, 23:38
This.

It's awful that all the shit they have in their heads cost so many lives.

One confirmed death. Maybe you should get your shit together.

Chubbyjesus
12-06-2008, 23:42
Well its good to know the company that could save the MMORPG industry for the niche gamers... Is surrounded by retards who throw firebombs at police cars and act shocked when they get shot at.

Sigh... God hope it doesnt rub off on the team.. Only some of them are Greeks I believe.. So we might be ok.

GRCPan
12-06-2008, 23:43
I don't see how this has any connection with darkfall.

Guvadan
12-06-2008, 23:43
I highly doubt some riots would stop the launch of Darkfall. Business will continue in Greece as normal I am sure.

TheFlameDeluge
12-06-2008, 23:44
Well its good to know the company that could save the MMORPG industry for the niche gamers... Is surrounded by retards who throw firebombs at police cars and act shocked when they get shot at.

Sigh... God hope it doesnt rub off on the team.. Only some of them are Greeks I believe.. So we might be ok.

bah americans are just as stupid/more stupid, I'm american and I can clearly see that. If we're not as stupid as them we make up for it in ignorance

DeltaZer0
12-06-2008, 23:45
Hey, I resent that. Some of us have level heads, and I doubt that your elders thought any different about you. Think please, preferably before you speak.

@Deluge: they have to have a spark, and that usually requires something more than just what happened. I would be interested in hearing how the original story was covered.

Actually, according to many surveys, today's youths are shittier than the youths of the past.

allerk
12-06-2008, 23:52
Sort of a sad commentary on things, when a child dies and civil unrest breaks out, and someone is only worried about it affecting a game launch. *chuckle*

Kids die more often than games get released, you know? And no, I'm not being sarcastic.

Radeth
12-06-2008, 23:54
Can't believe what i'm reading. A person has been killed, and first you make consideration on eventual game release delays, then you start saying (without giving any reasonable motivation) youth is full of shit like you're some high life-experienced guys who can throw away any kind of judgement over people/group of people (the fact that someone you know is a dickhead and the fact that he is full of shit may not be strictly related), and now you say someone "deserved" to die..i think none deserves something like this,everyone will die somewhen..but that's not something you "deserve"..this thread is really the lowest manifestation of humanity I've seen on this forum so far (not the OP, I'm talking obviously about the answers)..

Beorg
12-06-2008, 23:57
I don't know what animal would kill a boy...

Shame on that Greek.

Racasdorph
12-06-2008, 23:59
Kid got what he deserved

flakmonky
12-06-2008, 23:59
Actually, according to many surveys, today's youths are shittier than the youths of the past.

All youths? Also realize that this a trend, and any generation could have stopped that trend (by being as good or better than their parents had been). Finally, whose to blame? The parents, usually. Come off your high horse, you live in the real world. In the real world, no one group is truly better than another. At most, the average of a group may be slightly better. But to generalize that across the whole group...

Dragor
12-07-2008, 00:01
well its obivious, Young people are crazy and full of shit, everyone of us looks back and says *fuck i was so dumb 5 years ago* :lmao: and im still young anyways so yes, im full of shit with so many other young people.

and I agree with DeltaZero! Haha

Jujyfruits
12-07-2008, 00:01
The sky is falling
And no one will lift their eyes to see
The sky is falling
And no one will care as long as it lands overseas

TheFlameDeluge
12-07-2008, 00:02
Can't believe what i'm reading. A person has been killed, and first you make consideration on eventual game release delays, then you start saying (without giving any reasonable motivation) youth is full of shit like you're some high life-experienced guys who can throw away any kind of judgement over people/group of people (the fact that someone you know is a dickhead and the fact that he is full of shit may not be strictly related), and now you say someone "deserved" to die..i think none deserves something like this,everyone will die somewhen..but that's not something you "deserve"..this thread is really the lowest manifestation of humanity I've seen on this forum so far (not the OP, I'm talking obviously about the answers)..

dude this is the internet, though yeah saying the youth is full of shit from this is kindof harsh ( a criticism of the people who rioted afterwards not the kid who got shot btw), but yeah its the internet... and what kindof world do you live in that you don't hear about death every day?

Turn on your local TV station plz, i've gotten jaded about deaths of people that I never knew

The sky is falling
And no one will lift their eyes to see
The sky is falling
And no one will care as long as it lands overseas
oh snap you listen to thrice!?!?!?
that was my least favorite song from them, but w/e Air was my favorite EP!

Natdaprat
12-07-2008, 00:07
Athens is a big place. Business blocks arn't usually too close to restaurants, either.

Secondly Aventurine are probably involved in the riot.

nitrousoxide52
12-07-2008, 00:07
Humans as a whole are stupid.

"Oh no someone has been killed, let's go out and break things and injure people, yeah!"

"Our football team just won a game, let's go out and break things and injure people, yeah!"

"Someone said something I don't agree with, let's go out and break things and injure people, yeah!"

Dragor
12-07-2008, 00:10
dude this is the internet, though yeah saying the youth is full of shit from this is kindof harsh ( a criticism of the people who rioted afterwards not the kid who got shot btw), but yeah its the internet... and what kindof world do you live in that you don't hear about death every day?

Turn on your local TV station plz, i've gotten jaded about deaths of people that I never knew

oh snap you listen to thrice!?!?!?
that was my least favorite song from them, but w/e Air was my favorite EP!

everyday 16 years old and younger get killed in Iraq and palastine or many other places. And no one gives a shit, now why the fuss on another poor boy..have you forgoten about the rest? My heart is already a stone, we lost so many kids.

And when I said youth is full of shit, im about the riot. Why do wrong when the kid got killed cause of what he did. they dont think.

Radeth
12-07-2008, 00:12
and what kindof world do you live in that you don't hear about death every day?

..And how would this have any relation with what I wrote? I'm not arguing on the fact that we're talking about someone who died, I'm horrified by the kind of adfirmation you keep making about someone "deserving" death..

Niles
12-07-2008, 00:12

QQ more and get off the internet.

Myridan
12-07-2008, 00:13
Riots Erupt in Greece After Cops Shoot and Kill Boy, 16 Saturday, December 06, 2008

E-Mail Print Share:

Owned!

Grayald
12-07-2008, 00:13
Nobody REALLY cares. It's just that everyone is trying to be PC. The same way they pretend they give a shit when someone has a baby. Really. If it doesn't effect them, they don't care.

Dragor
12-07-2008, 00:16
and i think they should move this

AmonDominus
12-07-2008, 00:16
If someone would throw bigass rocks and firebombs at me I'd shoot them too. No matter what age.

Jujyfruits
12-07-2008, 00:17
Thrice (http://i44.photobucket.com/albums/f38/tonyrome21/thricelogo.jpg) rocks.

Seridur
12-07-2008, 00:17
Hmmm this might be in tomorrows newspaper... i just hope it wont take the space from my fav comic sketch :ohno::ohno::ohno::ohno::ohno::ohno:

Layedballer
12-07-2008, 00:19
The kid deserved to die. If he's attacking armed personell wth weapons that can harm/kill he can expect the same consequence. Fucking kids

slugy
12-07-2008, 00:20
this thread has the foul smell of GD about it.

Chubbyjesus
12-07-2008, 00:21
bah americans are just as stupid/more stupid, I'm american and I can clearly see that. If we're not as stupid as them we make up for it in ignorance

and lack of punctuation.

Sorry, im kidding.. I couldnt resist.

But yes we all do dumb things, luckily for us America is a melting pot of cultures.. So even when Americans do dumb things, I can confidently blame their original nationality... Not just their American ignorance.

I don't know what animal would kill a boy...

Shame on that Greek.

I would love to pay a 12 year old boy to go to your house and start firebombing you and your family.

Then we see if you consider the kid more of a boy or an animal.

Sympathy is wasted on people not worthy of the empathy.

Daemonicus
12-07-2008, 00:26

E-Mail Print Share:

Little fuckers were probably trying to siege Aventurine offices for beta accounts.

Phovos
12-07-2008, 00:27
aventurine has their office about 30km far from the downtown ( exarhia ) where we had this incident.

bad news but was a usual phenomenon for exarhia square . there are living many anarchists and provocateurs .

Radeth
12-07-2008, 00:31
QQ more and get off the internet.

I see much argumentation in your unswers..
Lack of argumentation often means lack of interest on the topic (then why you answered) or lack of intelligence, or just superficiality.
You choose..

Daemonicus
12-07-2008, 00:31
aventurine has their office about 30km far from the downtown ( exarhia ) where we had this incident.

bad news but was a usual phenomenon for exarhia square . there are living many anarchists and provocateurs .

Not shit, if you know your PvPs and Sieging tactics then you should know that you rally up your toons a good distance from the siege. Clearly they were rallying up when Aventurine called in allies, ThePoPos, and omgwtf pwn'ed them before they even managed to get all their groups set up.

Also, lulz at their firebombs, those things got nothing against the +5 armors and +10 damage rifles ThePoPos got.

Noobs.

Thunderstorm_BR
12-07-2008, 13:52
If someone would throw bigass rocks and firebombs at me I'd shoot them too. No matter what age.

Quoted for truth.

Bringing rocks to a gun fight is a great way to clean up the gene pool. Darwin would be proud. :P

As for the rioters it is with every angry mob: They just need a reason to go from angry to mobbing. Since we are short on vampires these days, they need a different excuse.

I'm hoping the guys at aventurine are ok. That's about all I care about the issue.

Edit: http://www.spiegel.de/fotostrecke/fotostrecke-37802.html#backToArticle=594872

antihero-zero
12-07-2008, 13:57
Why where these "youths" attacking the police car with rocks and "firebombs" originally (the one that resulted in the officer shooting the child)?

Obviously I can't pass judgement without knowing more about the situation, but this is bad for both sides. I wish Americans had the balls of Europeans to riot when these police scandals came to light. I am saddened by the complacency of my often fat, stupid, and lazy countrymen.

Stupid kid, he got what he deserved.

Wow, you're a real fucking idiot. You don't even know the facts of what happened, nor would you even if the media had reported on them (they obviously didn't cover what sparked this whole thing). Go fuck yourself with your judgemental bullshit. The cop could have easily shot at someone else, missed, and hit someone walking by. It happens all the fucking time.

Since you idiots are intent on typing this shit, and for it I hope you get banned, I'll share a short story. My friend was walking to college before the Seattle riots broke out. He was shot with a rubber bullet and tackled for walking to school, having nothing to do with the riots. I know A LOT of people with similiar stories. Cops are fucking idiots in most of the world, they only take the job because they are overly aggressive type A personalities, they have inferiority complexes which cause them to overreact, they are horribly undertrained, and many are eager to engage in violence. Stupid + likes violence = the wrong people get hurt a lot.

Here is what I found:

Security forces fired tear gas to disperse rioters following the death of the teenager, aged 15 or 16. A police statement said the shooting occurred after a patrol car came under attack by youths throwing stones and other objects. Two officers and the local police chief have been suspended and an inquiry is underway.

Source (http://emm.jrc.it/NewsBrief/moreclusteredition/en/usaToday-d7d4617f1ed9680c3f4691c7988d5121.html).

I've read multiple sources stating they don't even know this boy's age, meaning obviously all the facts are NOT in. Some youths were throwing rocks, but nobody has confirmed if the boy was involved. I believe these moltov cocktails came AFTER the boy was shot during the riots it sparked, because most sources do not mention "firebombs" in the original gunshot. Notice the officers are under investigation and the boss of the officers offered to resign.

sips1s
12-07-2008, 19:44

E-Mail Print Share:

What if Alex was ur son?
Just that

sips1s
12-07-2008, 19:46
Why where these "youths" attacking the police car with rocks and "firebombs" originally (the one that resulted in the officer shooting the child)?

Obviously I can't pass judgement without knowing more about the situation, but this is bad for both sides. I wish Americans had the balls of Europeans to riot when these police scandals came to light. I am saddened by the complacency of my often fat, stupid, and lazy countrymen.

Wow, you're a real fucking idiot. You don't even know the facts of what happened, nor would you even if the media had reported on them (they obviously didn't cover what sparked this whole thing). Go fuck yourself with your judgemental bullshit. The cop could have easily shot at someone else, missed, and hit someone walking by. It happens all the fucking time.

Since you idiots are intent on typing this shit, and for it I hope you get banned, I'll share a short story. My friend was walking to college before the Seattle riots broke out. He was shot with a rubber bullet and tackled for walking to school, having nothing to do with the riots. I know A LOT of people with similiar stories. Cops are fucking idiots in most of the world, they only take the job because they are overly aggressive type A personalities, they have inferiority complexes which cause them to overreact, they are horribly undertrained, and many are eager to engage in violence. Stupid + likes violence = the wrong people get hurt a lot.

Here is what I found:

Source (http://emm.jrc.it/NewsBrief/moreclusteredition/en/usaToday-d7d4617f1ed9680c3f4691c7988d5121.html).

I've read multiple sources stating they don't even know this boy's age, meaning obviously all the facts are NOT in. Some youths were throwing rocks, but nobody has confirmed if the boy was involved. I believe these moltov cocktails came AFTER the boy was shot during the riots it sparked, because most sources do not mention "firebombs" in the original gunshot. Notice the officers are under investigation and the boss of the officers offered to resign.

Alex was 15 years old. He wasn't a member of any anarchy group. He was out with some of his friends for a drink. The cop parked the car and returned and shot him on cold blood...That is a murder...

Slaker
12-07-2008, 19:46

That's good to know! haha

Thunderstorm_BR
12-08-2008, 14:19
It seems there are several versions to that story. We'll probably never know which one is true. But what the mob is doing there is completely unrelated and apolitical. They just needed a reason.