PDA

View Full Version : Help, major PC problem

Viluin
12-04-2008, 18:38
So, I tried installing PDFCreator on Vista. It gave me an error during installation, saying it was missing some kind of service. It also said "Press OK to fix this problem, then reboot your computer". So I pressed OK and rebooted.

Now I'm getting BSODs every time I boot, about 10 seconds after Windows starts. The BSOD error says it's related to a system service. Safe Mode is the only thing that works. I've tried disabling the spoolsv printer service, but it's not causing the problem. PDFCreator doesn't officially support Vista and now I know why, it breaks the entire OS.

Any idea on how to fix this?

Tiarilir
12-04-2008, 18:39
uninstall it in safe-mode?

Ankh
12-04-2008, 18:40
Install XP!!!!!!! lol!!!!

What Tiarilir said.

Ababoba

Windows XP is the only answer.

And uninstall it in safe-mode┬┐?

Barbarossa
So, I tried installing PDFCreator on Vista. It gave me an error during installation, saying it was missing some kind of service. It also said "Press OK to fix this problem, then reboot your computer". So I pressed OK and rebooted.

Now I'm getting BSODs every time I boot, about 10 seconds after Windows starts. The BSOD error says it's related to a system service. Safe Mode is the only thing that works. I've tried disabling the spoolsv printer service, but it's not causing the problem. PDFCreator doesn't officially support Vista and now I know why, it breaks the entire OS.

You gotta be fucking kidding me, V...this is a troll, right?

You're just fucking with us, right?

Viluin
12-04-2008, 18:42
uninstall it in safe-mode?

PDFCreator never installed itself, the installer just tried to "Fix a problem with a system service directory" or whatever and told me to reboot to retry the installation. It referred to something in my system32 folder.

Now, every time a certain system service starts I get a BSOD. I just don't know which one.

Ababoba
12-04-2008, 18:44
It could be virus! Quick, smash your computer with a baseball bat before it further damages the system!

Tiarilir
PDFCreator never installed itself, the installer just tried to "Fix a problem with a system service directory" or whatever and told me to reboot to retry the installation. It referred to something in my system32 folder.

Unfortunately I don't know how Vista works, but if it's anything like XP, try checking if there's something in the registry, otherwise disable all unnecessary startup services and try reboot.

Feyrband
find out the blue screen error and the file, write it down. reboot in safe mode w/ networking then google it.

<edit> or just go to their website and see what other idiot installed it on vista already knowing its not supported.

Ankh
System Restore?

StainlessSteelRat
12-04-2008, 18:46

Well, you are still posting so I must not have coded the virus for complete annihilation.....

Viluin
12-04-2008, 18:47
find out the blue screen error and the file, write it down. reboot in safe mode w/ networking then google it.

<edit> or just go to their website and see what other idiot installed it on vista already knowing its not supported.

It's just gonna tell me it's a system service related error, which I already know. It won't help me pinpoint the exact problem.

System Restore?

Lol, the System Restore option hasn't ever worked for me since Windows 98. Does it actually do something or did Microsoft just put it in there to give people the idea they might be fixing a problem?

Unfortunately I don't know how Vista works, but if it's anything like XP, try checking if there's something in the registry, otherwise disable all unnecessary startup services and try reboot.

PDFCreator essentially emulates a printer, so you can "print" Word documents etc to a PDF file. I'm trying to find out which service has been fucked up.

Jinpachi
12-04-2008, 18:47
System Restore?

Yup

Barbarossa
12-04-2008, 18:49
Hold on one second:

Didn't you say Vista sucks before, Viluin?

Curious indeed....

Ankh
12-04-2008, 18:49
Lol, the System Restore option hasn't ever worked for me since Windows 98.

It saved me from XP SP3 when I installed that and it fucked over my machine. If it can save me from SP3, it can save your measly printer service.

Viluin
12-04-2008, 18:50
Hold on one second:

Didn't you say Vista sucks before, Viluin?

Curious indeed....

It's not bad. Vista isn't the problem here, PDFCreator just broke it. Any OS would go nuts if you mess with it.

Drakhan
12-04-2008, 18:51
System Restore works perfect in XP, cannot imagine its gotten worse in Vista.

Unfortunately a lot of AV scanners disable it so good luck.

Aragoni
I always saw you as one of the Linux-guys. Surprise surprise I guess!

bleet
delete system32!!!!

system recovery?

otherwise, the only way to fix it is to figure out what service it's trying to use/install or whatever.

Kralle
12-04-2008, 18:52
If you got 10 seconds after starting up of the OS, maybe you can look into your eventlog and see what services are successfully loaded and started and at what time the system restarts.

Do that in safemode and compare the services from the "before crash time" with the services that are marked to start automatic.
the reaming automatic service that didnt load in normal mode, should be those in question.

this way you got a chance to pinpoint the services that are likely to crash your system, while you set them to disabled or manualy.

Barbarossa
12-04-2008, 18:54
It's not bad. Vista isn't the problem here, PDFCreator just broke it. Any OS would go nuts if you mess with it.

Okay then.

System Restore does work in Vista and works great.

I installed a program on it that made it take like 10 minutes to load up up the desktop icons, used system restore and Pc was back to it's normal speedy [for Vista, that is] self.

Sin
12-04-2008, 18:54
... but it's not causing the problem. PDFCreator doesn't officially support Vista and now I know why, it breaks the entire OS.

PDFcreator isn't the problem, nor is your comp not booting up your problem. Vista is your problem.

loloololololol

Barbarossa
12-04-2008, 18:57
Am kind of curious as to why you'd use PDF Creator [never heard of it] when Acrobat works just fine and is Vista friendly...

Viluin
12-04-2008, 18:59
If you got 10 seconds after starting up of the OS, maybe you can look into your eventlog and see what services are successfully loaded and started and at what time the system restarts.

Do that in safemode and compare the services from the "before crash time" with the services that are marked to start automatic.
the reaming automatic service that didnt load in normal mode, should be those in question.

this way you got a chance to pinpoint the services that are likely to crash your system, while you set them to disabled or manualy.

There's not enough time to do that.

Am kind of curious as to why you'd use PDF Creator [never heard of it] when Acrobat works just fine and is Vista friendly...

Does Acrobat make itself look like a printer so it works with ANY application that supports printing?

Floyd
12-04-2008, 18:59
I have used it on Vista before had no trouble at all. I believe you have a separate problem there Villluinen. :ninja:

Pernix
12-04-2008, 19:00

If your car breaks down because you just crashed into a feather, I'm sure we can agree on the fact that your car sucks.

bleet
12-04-2008, 19:04
If your car breaks down because you just crashed into a feather, I'm sure we can agree on the fact that your car sucks.

in this case it wasn't a feather. in this case he crashed his car into a giant bulldozer.

Viluin

But my car didn't break down because I crashed into a feather, my car broke down because some fuckhead removed part of the engine.

Weeking
Restore point, or backup if you made one. Restore points get messed up by a whole bunch of badware and even if you didn't get infected it ends up there so you can get it if you do restore I think.

Kralle
12-04-2008, 19:06
There's not enough time to do that.

Sorry, I worded it a bit confusing.

You can start the system in safe mode and access the eventlog ?

if you can do that, than check the successfull started services within the eventlog from the timeframe you had it in normal mode.

The last service listed from the time before crash can be the cause of the error.
Or
You look into your active services (while in safe mode) and compare them to the services in your evenlog....a second option is to disable every other non running service that seems to be cause and enable them one-by-one till the system crashes.

The last advice is surely mindnumbing and time consuming, but should help.

Sin
12-04-2008, 19:06

Lots of feathers out there, might as well send your car off the cliff to watch it blow up, so you get some enjoyment out of it at least. If you can get that far with it..

Barbarossa
12-04-2008, 19:08
Does Acrobat make itself look like a printer so it works with ANY application that supports printing?

You got me there, but I've only made a few PDF docs, so I guess it would depend on your needs.

Just trying to be suggestive V.

Viluin
12-04-2008, 19:14
I fixed the problem by disabling the "IP Helper" service. Let's hope it wasn't important.

Slaker
12-04-2008, 19:14
Sup V, please go check your dump file and try to find the error from there. From what I can read on the net there's a lots of problems with PDFcreator and Windows Vista.

Nasty
12-04-2008, 19:15
Fuck I miss XP so much.

Sin
12-04-2008, 19:16
I fixed the problem by disabling the "IP Helper" service. Let's hope it wasn't important.

Purpose

The Internet Protocol Helper (IP Helper) API enables the retrieval and modification of network configuration settings for the local computer.

Source (http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa366073.aspx)

Well, you appear to be online and typing. Not really sure how it was giving you a blue (woops) screen of death though...

Viluin
12-04-2008, 19:17
Purpose

The Internet Protocol Helper (IP Helper) API enables the retrieval and modification of network configuration settings for the local computer.

Source (http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa366073.aspx)

Well, you appear to be online and typing. Not really sure how it was giving you a black screen of death though...

Maybe PDFCreator can be used as a network printer and it messed with network related settings?

Slaker
12-04-2008, 19:18
Maybe PDFCreator can be used as a network printer and it messed with network related settings?

Of course it can be used as a network printer or else it wouldn't have this IP helper.

Barbarossa
12-04-2008, 19:20

Glad to see you have resolved the issue.

Also nice to know you're not perfect...:D

/ducks

Connecticaine
12-04-2008, 19:23
oh the noobs who dont know how to use vista and say its that.

Hey man try this, you say it starts up but when a service starts it crashes.

start in safe mode and go to

Start-search

MsConfig

then disable any services/startup that are unnecessary to run. You can either deselect all of the unnecessary ones and try it or do them one at a time to find your error.

either way that should get it to start up.

Sin

I never played with PDFCreator before, but if I just had to take a shot in the open, I would guess that it was just trying to access something that didn't exist and with Vista being a fragile piece of shit it is, it just collapsed on it's own retardedness.

I dunno. But glad to see you fixed it.

EDIT: I just checked my windows XP (media center 2005) services, and I don't have a service called IP Helper, let's just hope it doesn't screw you down the road for disabling it on Vista.

Connecticaine
double post, damn i shoulda read all the post, allwell looks like i would have won =)