PDA

View Full Version : Enforcing NDAs

stalwart
11-18-2008, 16:10
How are they doing it? Like, what repercussions could there be, and how would they prove it was you if you put it on somewhere like 4chan?

I'm seriously curious how they are keeping several 100 people from posting so much as a screen shot. Is there legal action attached to it or something? Most EULA/TOS agreements last an entire 2 minutes in court cases... they are mostly fear machines. NDAs would be similar, or so I would think. The problem comes from overuse and not enforcing them... once someone breaks the NDA, EULA, or TOS and the consequences aren't enforced, that essentially allows everyone to break it, as well as proving that I somehow hurt you by posting a picture of your game.

Similar to copyright laws, and from what little research I did on it, NDAs were "effectively" enforced in the past not because of what was in the NDA, but because the user violated copyright law.

Not encouraging someone to break it, I just don't see how they could keep someone from posting ANYTHING about it ANYWHERE. This is the fucking internet... and every game I've ever seen beta tested, even with the most stringent NDA, had SOME kind of leak. Unless they personally know all the players... "friends and family" beta testing, and trust them.

Thoughts? I've never personally broken an NDA when I was beta testing (WoW, SWG, and a couple others not worth mentioning), and I may just have a massive misunderstanding of how this whole thing works.... I just see them as semi-useless.

Killuminati
11-18-2008, 16:11
Its a conspiracy :ohno:

stalwart
11-18-2008, 16:12
Its a conspiracy :ohno:

lol, coming from someone named "killuminati" and semi-knowing your personality, this isn't a surprising response from you.

Spinewire
11-18-2008, 16:13
they can tell who it is by race, time of day and your postion in the game world.....

Seriously tho i would be too busy running around going OMFG darkfall to tell anyone about it.

Honest Bill
We can only assume that the game is so sweet, that nobody wants to stop playing for long enough to upload a video.

Killuminati
Lawl, but seriously. There should have been a leak somewhere. I'm not willing to believe that a small group of developers who are brand new at this, are able to silence their testers. While other companies have leaks for their betas all the time.

Phalanx
11-18-2008, 16:14
Nobody dares to defy Tasos.

PainlessDeath
11-18-2008, 16:17
yea other than trying to figure it out and ban your beta account, there really isn't any legal recourse if only because leaking a SS or beta video would cause no actionable damages.

If there are 100+ ppl in beta, we have to assume they are keeping quiet out of respect? I'm hoping that's it and not that there really is no serious beta going on.

/shrug

Painweaver
11-18-2008, 16:18
Nobody dares to defy Tasos.

You'd end up drowning in a tank of tzatziki in a pair of cement shoes.

fRdz
11-18-2008, 16:19
Personally, if I had gotten into the beta. I would just have a massive orgasm and relief that the game ACTUALLY EXISTED and was good (u know if that was the case) and everything was in perfect order I would never have to break the NDA even, because I would be so pleased I would just wait for everyone else to get their own share of that experience.

Killuminati
11-18-2008, 16:20
yea other than trying to figure it out and ban your beta account, there really isn't any legal recourse if only because leaking a SS or beta video would cause no actionable damages.

If there are 100+ ppl in beta, we have to assume they are keeping quiet out of respect? I'm hoping that's it and not that there really is no serious beta going on.

/shrug

What is their incentive to not tell their guildies about it? Once information is leaked it spreads like a wildfire.

Spinewire
11-18-2008, 16:22
What is their incentive to not tell their guildies about it? Once information is leaked it spreads like a wildfire.
I think they might have avoided inviting people who were in clans for this very reason... clan beta was in fact a big who is not getting in the closed beta list imo.

stalwart
11-18-2008, 16:23
I think they might have avoided inviting people who were in clans for this very reason... clan beta was in fact a big who is not getting in the closed beta list imo.

that would be amazing, especially after how hard some guilds tried to get in.

PainlessDeath
11-18-2008, 16:25
I'm not saying I believe the "assumption" :) My experience from past games tells me that it is very strange we have not seen more leaked beta material. Personally, I'm not feeling a Dec release, but I sure would like to see it.

Lethn
They could be doing anything, obviously they couldn't do anything illegal like hacking unless they were seriously paranoid. I reckon it may well just be that people for once are enjoying the game so much they don't want to risk their beta account.

Galadrist
Lawl, but seriously. There should have been a leak somewhere. I'm not willing to believe that a small group of developers who are brand new at this, are able to silence their testers. While other companies have leaks for their betas all the time.

Maybe they just have a way of getting things done differently. wont be the first time they do it if they actually silence the testers. :D

Killuminati
11-18-2008, 16:26
Unless they invited a bunch of people who signed up this year who had no affiliations with a clan. I still don't see how they wouldn't be able to write about the game somewhere or at least post screenshots in random forums. Even those people would want to prove they are in beta because when you have attained something no one else has, it makes you want to show off.

kyrilius
You'd end up drowning in a tank of tzatziki in a pair of cement shoes.

Mmmm, tzatziki. Can I get some slouvaki with that?

Henu989
Didn't Aventurine used to do work with the military?
Maybe they know people who can make testers disappear. :p

Spinewire
11-18-2008, 16:27
that would be amazing, especially after how hard some guilds tried to get in.
Well it does seem that way, then again i don't doubt my clans ability to keep their mouthes shut so i'm sure people are chatting about it, but in private.

stalwart
11-18-2008, 16:27
so does anyone disagree? NDAs are useless for the most part? if they are useless, how is DF doing it? "tasos is god" is our answer?

Khahan
11-18-2008, 16:28
In my little fanboi dream bubble I imagine they respect the game. Most leaks I've seen in the past were from people who say "The game sucks balls, I don't care."

It's also kind of hard to get yourself to post a video or screenshot, when you don't even have time to eat or sleep.

stalwart
Well it does seem that way, then again i don't doubt my clans ability to keep their mouthes shut so i'm sure people are chatting about it, but in private.

oh god yea. Anvil Society, outside of the "inner clique" is about as open as posting it on DF OT.

Dolmar
I heard that they make you sign a NDA not just a " i agree button"
Much more binding and considering some of the stuff they could put in that eewww they might have enuff to actually be binding these peepz ! which is great darkfall is mystifiing ...

Spinewire
11-18-2008, 16:29
Unless they invited a bunch of people who signed up this year who had no affiliations with a clan. I still don't see how they wouldn't be able to write about the game somewhere or at least post screenshots in random forums. Even those people would want to prove they are in beta because when you have attained something no one else has, it makes you want to show off.
Everyone is under the impression that the NDA as just something they click agree too, this is not the case. It is small chip that is inserted into the base if your skull.

oh god yea. Anvil Society, outside of the "inner clique" is about as open as posting it on DF OT.i was only refering to the long term members, the randoms can go fuck themselves.

stalwart
11-18-2008, 16:30
I heard that they make you sign a NDA not just a " i agree button"
Much more binding and considering some of the stuff they could put in that eewww they might have enuff to actually be binding these peepz ! which is great darkfall is mystifiing ...

where the fuck you get that? also, how would they do that if they are in greece and some testers are supposedly in north america/"far east?" mail? no wai.

even though that would explain it.

Everyone is under the impression that the NDA as just something they click agree too, this is not the case. It is small chip that is inserted into the base if your skull.
i was only refering to the long term members, the randoms can go fuck themselves.

and yea, it'd be worth it.

Spinewire
11-18-2008, 16:33
where the fuck you get that? also, how would they do that if they are in greece and some testers are supposedly in north america/"far east?" mail? no wai.

even though that would explain it.

I bet they have invited only greek people who can't speak anything but greek and made them sign and asked for their address so they can drop some instant rape of them if they step out of line.

Beeblebrox
11-18-2008, 16:34

Like the time I banged that famous supermodel.

Galadrist
11-18-2008, 16:35

Fabio? :D

Hes not a supermodel.

he's just super.

Honest Bill
11-18-2008, 16:36

I heard she sustained serious head injuries

Spinewire
11-18-2008, 16:37
I heard she sustained serious head injuries
so did he, i told him to slow down.... sigh

Beeblebrox
11-18-2008, 16:44
Surprisingly, supermodels don't seem to react well when facing the inevitable immediate rape.

But please, let us not derail the thread...much.

Honest Bill
11-18-2008, 16:48
Surprisingly, supermodels don't seem to react well when facing the inevitable immediate rape.

Don't try to stifle our creativity you fascist. This thread belongs to the people now

Galadrist
11-18-2008, 16:49

Maybe AV could tweak their AI some.

Skyborn
11-18-2008, 16:55
Seriously tho i would be too busy running around going OMFG darkfall to tell anyone about it.

I am pretty sure that this right here is the reason no one has leaked any info yet.

Eldaran
11-18-2008, 17:21
Beta exists, just like Unicorns! No but seriously I've wondered the same thing. How have I not seen any unofficial leaks out there? Strange. Maybe they only got honest beta testers that's probably why most of Forumfall isn't in there yet. LOL!

Spinewire
11-18-2008, 17:23
there is probabaly just not that many of them and they probabaly only speak greek

Eldaran
11-18-2008, 17:32
there is probabaly just not that many of them and they probabaly only speak greek

Quick! Everyone! To the Greek version of Youtube!

Spinewire
11-18-2008, 17:33
Quick! Everyone! To the Greek version of Youtube!
they don't get one :(

tallefred
11-18-2008, 17:38
If they only have around 100 testers, they'e probably interacting with them on a personal level. No one's gonna break the NDA when they're chilling with the people who busted their asses to make the game.

Spinewire
11-18-2008, 17:40
If they only have around 100 testers, they'e probably interacting with them on a personal level. No one's gonna break the NDA when they're chilling with the people who busted their asses to make the game.
this

AmonDominus
11-18-2008, 17:41

Nope. I know several guys from a certain guild who got invites.

Skyborn
11-18-2008, 17:45
Nope. I know several guys from a certain guild who got invites.

This is a lie, there are no computers in eastern Eurip...just hairy women and not coincidentally strong booze.

epicor
11-18-2008, 18:39
they can tell who it is by race, time of day and your postion in the game world.....

i second this motion.

paade
11-18-2008, 19:06
lawl stuped peples. The answer is simple: only a smallish number of kissasses got in and they were told that once any of the devs so much as gets a shadow of a doubt that someone is leaking (pics and shit), they are all out of beta for good. If the game is as awesomesauce as the new update is telling, who would want to risk it?

And NDAs you sign for game testing are a joke. Any developer trying to take you to court for breaking that, would get laughed at and fined for wasting courts time. Unless you get paid for testing, then you would get raped.

GRCPan
11-18-2008, 19:09
If I was beta testing I wouldn't take the risk to leak any info. I wouldn't gain anything anyway.

Weeking
11-18-2008, 19:28
You shouldn't expect DFO to have the same amount of leaks as War and AoC. They had leaks because they had a very large amateur beta for many months, had lots of legitimate stuff to upset the testers and make them want to vent their anger by leaking and a huge boost from the betaleak site which is down BTW since august or something.

And since they haven't opened the world and features yet, the leaks would suck and be like "buhu I can't stand still and spam attack the mobs without dying" or "Me pwning some nubs and taking their stuff" and be of the same areas and items and so on graphics wise. Not to mention most of them would be fake leaks.

Squatch
11-18-2008, 19:33
We really don't want a bunch of threads running around discussing "How does DF think they can keep people quiet when no other game has". For obvious reasons, this just feeds a culture where breaking the rules in place is encouraged and we can't have that.

Have faith, things are moving. Have faith that more updates like the one today will come. Have faith that things will not be like this forever or even for very long. Now is the time to enjoy the ride and feel some of the excitement. Don't ruin the rest of the ride before it even begins.

Also, this thread is decidedly not off-topic. This is not a refuge for those that don't want to post DF topics in Advanced Discussion. Everything in OT that is about DF will be moved over there so you might as well start getting involved.