PDA

View Full Version : What was the best MMORPG ever?

Broockle
11-06-2008, 14:46
I'm starting this thread to figure what DFO fans think was the best MMORPG ever. I ordered them from oldest to newest, i think.
pls tell me if i forgot one
My first mmo was DAoC, but i was too young to appreciate it i think, it didn't impress me right away so i quit. My next was WoW i played that for like 2 years, i loved the big world u could explore and all the instances and once they had Arena it had some great PvP. But it got lame after a while i didn't feel like playing the game just to get awesome gear so i quit that too. Then i played AoConan which in my opinion sucked so much ass i couldn't get past lvl 16 it was laaaame. Why would they make a singler player campaign in an mmorpg? I quit that after almost 2 weeks, i then tried WHO recently, it had decent PvP, but the lvling was such a pain, i hated the q's and the lvl design, the whole world looked like u had a gray filter over ur screen.
I hope DFO will be an awesome game and learned from all the mistakes previous games made. I tried a few more from friends accounts, but non of them were that great exept SWG, that looked pretty sweet.

Pls also post why u thought the game u chose was the best.

AndromedusO
11-06-2008, 14:51
Are you an idiot? AC/DT isn't even on that list. Unbelievable.. :bang:

No to mention MUDs... I hope this was a joke thread. Possibly a troll?

Perkz
11-06-2008, 14:52
Ive played them all

And without a shadow of doubt UO was the best game ever, before they ruined it with trammel!

Full loot, Full PvP, A big open world!

THTS WHY I CANT WAIT FOR DARKFALL YIPEE! :lmao:

Sunaj
11-06-2008, 14:53
Ive played them all

And without a shadow of doubt UO was the best game ever, before they ruined it with trammel!

I second that!!!!!1

Broockle
11-06-2008, 14:58

o srr never heared of either of those, i don't think i can add them anymore now. My first poll ^^

Khael[SUN]
11-06-2008, 15:00
Ac/dt

ahti
11-06-2008, 15:00
dude, you forgot GuildWars. It is my favo mmorpg at this moment and it's definatly better than wow and AoC.

Galadrist
11-06-2008, 15:01
Whatever it is, whoever wins, it's soon gonna be just number 2 of all time :D

Spk
11-06-2008, 15:01
Asheron's Call, but I haven't played UO.

phyrndyl
11-06-2008, 15:02
Where is Asheron's Call on this list??? It is far too popular to be lumped under "Other". Mentions of AC, and especially the PvP Darktide server are all over this forum.

I abstain. You left my choice off the list.

Phyrndyl of Rheny

Tzacharu
11-06-2008, 15:03
RuneScape!

Vangeliss
11-06-2008, 15:06
i voted other meaning guild wars.

Broockle
11-06-2008, 15:06
dude, you forgot GuildWars. It is my favo mmorpg at this moment and it's definatly better than wow and AoC.

o i'm srr, i did think of guildwars, i just didn't think it was worth mentioning.
U couldn't jump off cliffs xD.
ye srr 'bout that.
o ye u'r right it was better than AoConan

It's interesting though that UO is ahead of other, which includes: MUDS, AT/DC, GuildWars, RuinScape, and Asheron's Call.

Narcowski
11-06-2008, 15:11

I voted Other for DikuMUD.

Best graphical MMO? UO without a doubt.

Broockle
11-06-2008, 15:24
I voted Other for DikuMUD.

Best graphical MMO? UO without a doubt.

w8 u'r saying UO was the best graphic MMORPG ever? that's silly

Where is Asheron's Call on this list??? It is far too popular to be lumped under "Other". Mentions of AC, and especially the PvP Darktide server are all over this forum.

I abstain. You left my choice off the list.

Phyrndyl of Rheny

Srr never heared of any of the games u mentioned here either.

actualy can someone tell me what SB is like, i couldn't find anythign useful on it on youtube

ComiC-Player
11-06-2008, 15:29
I really think WoW beats the hell out of GuildWars.
But UO and Darkfall are gonna be so much better.

waggy
11-06-2008, 15:29

WINNER!

Broockle
11-06-2008, 15:31

niiiiice

Narcowski
11-06-2008, 15:33

I didn't say it had wonderful graphics, but it had them, unlike MUDs.

waggy
11-06-2008, 15:39
I liked UO but forsome reason I just loved the DAoC combat system and thats what made it number 2 for me.

Medieval
11-06-2008, 15:49
Uo !!!

Forgin
11-06-2008, 15:52

GuildWars isn't an MMO

nick larking
11-06-2008, 15:55
I know that WOW is one of the worst mmo's ive ever played (tried out).

Some on this list i havent tried but i think UO was one of the best mmo's ever.

KiSsLuiGi
11-06-2008, 15:56
WTFOMG WHO VOTED FOR WOW AND AoCRAPPNESS AS THE BEST MMO EVER?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!??!

Flin
11-06-2008, 15:57
Battelground Europe.

Medieval
11-06-2008, 15:58
WTFOMG WHO VOTED FOR WOW AND AoCRAPPNESS AS THE BEST MMO EVER?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!??!
Carebears :D

squall24
11-06-2008, 15:58
;1908652']Ac/dt

ditto

HedraFan3030
11-06-2008, 16:02
OP where is Asheron's Call? It has an amazing storyline, unique characters, and pretty unfettered pvp.

Broockle
11-06-2008, 16:06
GuildWars isn't an MMO

what do u mean?

Khaen
11-06-2008, 16:09
You left quite a few MMOs off your poll.

I played UO a long time before switching to Asheron's Call. UO had a great community and a fantastic skill based system, but AC was so much more fun to play. Apples to oranges really. UO was 2D compared to AC's 3D immersion. DF should be a fantastic game if the developers can deliver what they promise. It is basically a 3D UO.

Narcowski
11-06-2008, 16:09

Says the guy who thinks Metallica is still a good band.

(But yes, carebears... that or /joke option.)

Firedancer
11-06-2008, 16:16
What was the best MMORPG ever?

do you really have to ask? ;)

klokateer #7829
11-06-2008, 16:17
Way to make a shit poll by leaving out some of the greatest MMOs ever made.

Are you 16?

Medieval
11-06-2008, 16:18
what do u mean?

It's much more like tactical team fps.

klokateer #7829
11-06-2008, 16:18

Metallica is still a good band, their last album was an amazing revival of their older style music.

Yazinda
11-06-2008, 16:28
1. Ultima Online
2. Ultima Online

and

3. Ultima Online

;)

Yaz

Patetine
11-06-2008, 16:39
I just love swg. Star Wars rules ^^

Leotilt
11-06-2008, 16:53
UO but EVE should be on that list.

remixark
11-06-2008, 16:54
guildwars ftw :p

thgys1245
11-06-2008, 17:00
EVE

full loot - except for ninja-looting criminal flagging
full pvp - yes even in high sec
full item economy

And damn is the premium client pretty.

DF better come out soon or I'm gonna try out quantum rise.

Sleepycow
11-06-2008, 17:02
With all due respect, I'm going to create another version of this thread with proper poll options.

Rhynn
11-06-2008, 17:04
Asheron's Call and UO.

Sofaism
11-06-2008, 17:10
I'll admit, WOW was best MMO I ever played. I never played UO or AC as others have pointed to those as greatest... but WOW was game I played for longest before disliking it.

maniac_to_you
11-06-2008, 17:17
1. UO of course and then 2. Eve Online

klokateer #7829
11-06-2008, 17:18
I'll admit, WOW was best MMO I ever played. I never played UO or AC as others have pointed to those as greatest... but WOW was game I played for longest before disliking it.

That is really very sad.

You're either new to the genre or young.

Neither is your fault, but it makes me sad that an entire generation is exposed to WOW as their first MMO.

Not only is it bad, it caters to idiots by making things so simple children can play. By that I mean children under the age of 14.

Ashfield212
11-06-2008, 17:39
I just love swg. Star Wars rules ^^

I hope you are referring to Pre-CU!

End Dream
11-06-2008, 18:03
UO FTW.. a very far away second is AC-DT.. which was a great game.. but nothing is what UO was...

nardagor
11-06-2008, 18:05
EvE online is the best, P2P MMORPG atm. For the simple reason the devs are the only ones in the world that know what a P2P MMORPG is supposed to do.
(Free expansions, and frequent updates) Thats why they are the best (and also why WoW and Blizzard will forever be the worst)
And as for UO i have never played it so i cant really know if it's better or not :(

Ninetails
11-06-2008, 18:08
Why is Lord of the Rings Online not on here?

It's amazing graphically, is based on the fantastic epic storyline in a world that gave the basis for most modern fantasy RPGs (just compare some locations of Azeroth to Middle Earth ones), offers the perfect balance of solo play vs multiplayer interaction, the community is one of the friendliest I've had the fortune to come across, plus there's a whole other load of goodies like player housing and surnames. Not to mention, the actual gameplay interface is user friendly.

If it weren't for Darkfall, my head would have never been turned from it.

Sofaism
11-06-2008, 18:16
That is really very sad.

You're either new to the genre or young.

Neither is your fault, but it makes me sad that an entire generation is exposed to WOW as their first MMO.

Not only is it bad, it caters to idiots by making things so simple children can play. By that I mean children under the age of 14.

I'm 24.

I never liked how old MMO's looked and never wanted to play them on 56k, I enjoyed FPS games much more... first MMO ever was SB followed by SWG.

Lucient
11-06-2008, 18:19
Asheron's Call is my personal favorite, however I missed the glory days of UO.

Abbadon
11-06-2008, 18:24
hehe, UO still wins against the very broad Other category : )

Mo0rbid
11-06-2008, 18:31
remove aoc from the list and add AC

Broockle
11-06-2008, 18:36
You left quite a few MMOs off your poll.

I played UO a long time before switching to Asheron's Call. UO had a great community and a fantastic skill based system, but AC was so much more fun to play. Apples to oranges really. UO was 2D compared to AC's 3D immersion. DF should be a fantastic game if the developers can deliver what they promise. It is basically a 3D UO.
srr i just put all the mmo's i knew were popular, and i added UO cause i see so many people liking it on this forum.

EVE

full loot - except for ninja-looting criminal flagging
full pvp - yes even in high sec
full item economy

And damn is the premium client pretty.

DF better come out soon or I'm gonna try out quantum rise.
i just watched the Zero Punctuation on EVE online, and after seeing it on youtube as well, i thought it was a rly shitty game. Maybe i judged too soon, srr.

Way to make a shit poll by leaving out some of the greatest MMOs ever made.

Are you 16?
No i'm 19, but ye i'm still part of the generation that never heared of UO or AC.

Why is Lord of the Rings Online not on here?

If it weren't for Darkfall, my head would have never been turned from it.
omg u'r right, i total forggot about LoTR, i'm so srr.

Realbigdeal22
11-06-2008, 18:37
Ragnarok online is better then UO for one thing. The pvp was faster so you need more mind game. If you dont like grind because i also dont like it, download a private server with instant cap level and 100 chance loot on every monsters you kill. In that kind of server, you need mind game and large guild to pwn and i was playing it for 2 years and i thinking about getting back if darkfall dont come out.

Dont forget to take a server were there is no safe zone excluding the main city prontera.

Milo Hobgoblin

QFT.

how can darktide not be on that list

Seddoron
Lotro fails. It's just another WoW-clone that offers nothing new and just recycles the old ideas. Even the housing fails, you cannot even put the furniture where you want because there is a retarted hook system thing.

The generic mmo setting doesn't do justice to Lotr lore, the lore-breaking could actually have been avoided if the combat was made class-less and skill based instead the level based grindfest WoW clone crap that Lotro is now. The devs prolly had 2 different ways to do that game: the traditional way that is making a WoW clone, or the original way that is actually adding something original.

But it turned our that the lack of originality, and the way how turbine attempted to combine Tolkien lore with mmo elements was quite a failure. Lotro does have enough players to keep the game going and making some profit, but that game could have been so much more.

Another main problem in Lotro are the numerous small flaws that should have been changed long time ago. Housing is perhaps the best example. And the horses didn't have walking animations until last summer, and then it turned out that the horse walking animation was bugged for hobbits. LOL why couldn't they fix that before the update was released? Also the health system is retarted, it takes a ridiculously long time to kill a same lvl enemy in 1vs1. And the customer support is horrible.

The game is a overflowing with carebears and the forums are full of over-enthusiastic fanboys who put a smiley after every fucking sentence and who desperately try to defend Lotro against anyone who dares to criticize the game in any way. If there is a flaw in the game that everyone agrees with, then some ppl whine for a while and when nothing changes they think: "oh well, maybe turbine knows what they are doing. Lets continue enjoying this great game we have :):):):):)".

AARGH

Broockle
11-06-2008, 18:41
With all due respect, I'm going to create another version of this thread with proper poll options.
Ye pls do, i knew i had no idea about good mmo's i just had the idea to start a thread like this and i was curious about the outcome. After spedning so much time on this forum i thought i know all the good mmo's but i was way off.
Pls make one, i wanna see the outcome.
It is still very clear though that UO is by far the most popular. The "other" catagory contains at least like 10 games, and UO still won xD
i thought more people would vote for the 2D games catagory however.
MapleStory's fun ^^

Algar
11-06-2008, 18:46

No doubt you speak of the highly anticipated Hello Kitty Online.

JoshuaEvil
11-06-2008, 19:25
UO and i enjoyed SWG pre CU and pre NGE
i handled the CU but after the NGE it was dead to me...

maniac_to_you
11-06-2008, 19:30
Ragnarok online is better then UO for one thing. The pvp was faster so you need more mind game. If you dont like grind because i also dont like it, download a private server with instant cap level and 100 chance loot on every monsters you kill. In that kind of server, you need mind game and large guild to pwn and i was playing it for 2 years and i thinking about getting back if darkfall dont come out.

Dont forget to take a server were there is no safe zone excluding the main city prontera.

Please tell me you are joking.

RavenialNoct
11-06-2008, 19:32
It was Tibia during a time.

nardagor
11-06-2008, 19:50
i just watched the Zero Punctuation on EVE online, and after seeing it on youtube as well, i thought it was a rly shitty game. Maybe i judged too soon, srr.

you cant trust a person who thinks the best mmo is WoW

Noeme
11-06-2008, 19:52
Runescape is a fun game since it has intense minigames, loot drop and ffa pvp. I loved that game because loot drop made crafting important and i usually dont enjoy crafting in games. It didnt even bother me that the majority of the combat was autoattack since i was so immersed.

I did vote aoc though just because its a newer mmo with FFA PvP.

andreika111
11-06-2008, 20:06
In the poll i picked "OTHER" becouse you did'nt put Darkfall in!!
:D
Whhyy!!??! :D

LoD_BlackJack
11-06-2008, 20:12
one more for UO... ac/dt was cool, but it was no UO.

Rageon
11-06-2008, 20:12
Forumfall ofc.

DaveDFF
11-06-2008, 20:15
Asherons Call, not on the list sadly.

blue carrot
11-06-2008, 20:46
second life!!!

no just kidding :P

best mmo ever is runescape

Narcowski
11-06-2008, 20:54
second life!!!

lol.

Sad bit is that RS was actually decent for a while... then members happened.

Mo0rbid
11-06-2008, 20:55

lol afaik he doesn't like wow

Narcowski
11-06-2008, 20:55
lol afaik he doesn't like wow

lol WoW == joke option.

Also, yeah Yahtzee hates WoW too.

bertmcgirt
11-06-2008, 20:59

fixed!

nick larking
11-06-2008, 21:00
fixed!

Atleast its better then wow and some others.
Especialy classic.

But UO sstill > all.

Aragon
11-06-2008, 21:01

As they would have a chance against UO.:lmao:

Aragon
11-06-2008, 21:02
Ive played them all

Aye no poll needed. UO was BY FAR the best ever.

Conq
11-06-2008, 21:04
Peh, someone make a new, better and more attractive poll with Asheron's Call as an option.

No other mmo can hold a candle to it, not even UO.

GabK7
11-06-2008, 21:06
SWG Pre-cu for me. Best crafting/PVP (Faction bases attacks/defenses) I've ever had!

Nummmnut
11-06-2008, 21:13
I think I have just about played most of the major MMORPGs out there and even lesser known ones and the only one I keep thinking back to is Ultima Online. Never have I played a game where I was acually sometimes worried of adventuring outside of town (yeah before anyone flames EVE has looting). I am extremely excited to see a game go away from Leveling and making death something to fear. Makes getting into a fight worth it, and keeps griefing acually lower. Granted there will be ganking and picking on lower skilled/geared people, but that is why you make connections and join groups, or rough it out solo.

Just a few weeks ago have I heard of Darkfalls, and that is purely because I had given up on MMORPGs wanting easy games to play.

I hope Darkfall does not fall under the pressure to make the changes UO felt they had to (cough cough Trammel) and lean toward its hay-day.

I am looking forward to it and hope to hear more news on the release date. From the looks of things its not going to make it out before the end of this year, but I will keep my eyes open.

blue carrot
11-06-2008, 21:19
fixed!

thanks for fixing :D

Lictor
11-06-2008, 21:23
UO. And nothing else.

Nashtak
11-06-2008, 21:43
Anyone played Ragnarok? Even tho 80% of its popularity was in Asia, that game was epic.

Narcowski
11-06-2008, 21:46
Anyone played Ragnarok? Even tho 80% of its popularity was in Asia, that game was epic.

lol Ragnarok... one of my friends played it on a *mumbled words*. It looked pretty boring to me.

Nevok
11-06-2008, 21:51
FWO (Fung Wang Online) by miles and miles and miles and.... miles.

Played UO, FWO, AC, SWG, DAoC, WoW, Silkroad, Eve, KO, Ragnarok, Live or Die (think that's what it was called...) and many others that have faded with time.

Nothing has ever come close in terms of character uniqueness, build options and clan warfare. When you've got a game where somebody can take on 5-10 others their own level in a straight up fight because of build superiority, skill uses and gear options you've really made something great.

When the top players are known and feared throughout the world and can single-handedly change the tide of massive battles - you've made something truly special.

When 2 or 3 such players can assault a clan base and wreak absolute havok and steal the enemies relic and destroy 50 or so other players (who can still compete if they're smart and also have good builds) - you've made the best game i've ever played. By miles. Did I mention miles?

Levels meant nearly nothing, build was everything. You could utterly destroy somebody 20 levels higher than you or be eaten by somebody 20 levels lower than you.

Originally created by a Singaporean/Chinese company who kept it in Open Beta for several years and never progressed from there - it was re-released by an American company several years ago as SRO (Storm Riders Online). It failed miserably due to poor advertising, a low budget, bad GM's and no updated graphics for the close-minded types who demand such things.

However, nearly every single player who had played the original version came back for the re-release and even payed to play such an old game that they used to play for free. That says something.

The one downside to the game was that it was a massive PvE grind to develop your character. The max level was 250 and the highest level ever achieved was in the 150's. Most high levels tended to stop, or at least slow down drastically, in the 100-120 range as they felt they'd developed their character to what they'd originally planned. Although, in saying this, you leveled like a machine if you made the right build choices because you could solo mobs 20-30 levels higher if not more.

Darkfall has been the first MMO i've read about in the last 10 years that has offered anything remotely close. If my dreams come true Darkfall will be a combination of FWO and SWG (in terms of player based economy and built cities/houses). As well as all the other amazing features Darkfall offers to make it even better than I can imagine.

One can only hope and pray for a beta key =X.

Edit - i'd give a distant 2nd place to UO, followed by SWG before it got run into the ground by retarded Devs. 4th i'd give to WoW simply because of polish and responsive PvP. Even if it is one of the most watered down and oversimplified MMO's of all time. That's why it's so successful after all - idiots can play it.

Rhodes
11-06-2008, 22:00
EQ from the time I discovered the Rallos(sp?) Zek server(pvp with loot). Not the best ruleset but but playing a bard on that server was a hoot.

Broockle
11-06-2008, 22:00
when did he ever say that?

Runescape is a fun game since it has intense minigames, loot drop and ffa pvp. I loved that game because loot drop made crafting important and i usually dont enjoy crafting in games. It didnt even bother me that the majority of the combat was autoattack since i was so immersed.

I did vote aoc though just because its a newer mmo with FFA PvP.
o thx for that, i don't think ill ever try it though

In the poll i picked "OTHER" becouse you did'nt put Darkfall in!!
Whhyy!!??! :D
lol, i did use "was" in my title ^^

Sycophant
11-06-2008, 22:44
I cant believe Asherons Call isn't on this list?!

Thats fine if the OP never played AC, but still he should know how popular it was to many of us here.

Eimstein
11-06-2008, 23:01
UO wins hands down. The vote choices should have only been:
1) UO
2) Other

Narcowski
11-06-2008, 23:03
UO wins hands down. The vote choices should have only been:
1) UO
2) Other

Then other would be winning though.

eketawnos
11-06-2008, 23:33
Voted for UO. My fav no doubt. I had the most fun playing that game out of all the games I have tried.

evoke
11-07-2008, 01:00
Ac1

E-Licious
11-07-2008, 01:06
Lineage II !!

Wicked11
11-07-2008, 05:24
ASHERONS CALL

Skill based along with stats that could be fully adjusted at creation. The grandfather of skill based fun.

LINEAGE 2 in second.

Flux Kimone
11-07-2008, 05:35
Definitely, UO was hands down the best gaming experience I've had.

Shadowbane minus all the bugs and crap was a close second. But I think you'd had to have played on the Chaos server before the merges to really appreciate SB.

But I know for many many people Asherons Call on the Darktide server was the best.

For pvp, those are for sure the top 3 of all time, and no one could possibly argue that those would be the top 3. You could argue which one was better than the other, but any sensible pvp'er would agree those 3 on top. Every thing else is like chutes and ladders or candy land.

Kweezinarts
11-07-2008, 05:36
UO without question...

Definitely best gaming experience ever for me as well...

Although times were much different then. Just coming off of Ultima 7, UO was a perfect progression. There wasnt even a term "MMO". Now the market is so flooded with mmo's that it lowers overall excitement for me. Thats where Darkfall steps in and hopefully is the next best thing since early UO...

OH and the balanced health, stamina, mana was genius along with a max total skill point system w/ decay to keep things balanced therefore there were NO excuses :D...

Narcowski
11-07-2008, 05:42
Definitely, UO was hands down the best gaming experience I've had.

Shadowbane minus all the bugs and crap was a close second. But I think you'd had to have played on the Chaos server before the merges to really appreciate SB.

But I know for many many people Asherons Call on the Darktide server was the best.

For pvp, those are for sure the top 3 of all time, and no one could possibly argue that those would be the top 3. You could argue which one was better than the other, but any sensible pvp'er would agree those 3 on top. Every thing else is like chutes and ladders or candy land.

What about oldschool text MUDs?

Stranglehanz
11-07-2008, 05:48
The best MMORPG I've ever played would have to be Ultima Online The Second Age. It was just epic.

Signus
11-07-2008, 07:41
Ugh, why is WoW on this list? I feel bad for the poor souls who voted for it, they've probably had WoW as the only MMO in their entire life. Sad.

As for voting in this thread, I don't think you should be allowed to vote if you've only played one or two MMOs, I've played just about all of them on that list, so I can say with confidence which one I think is the best. I bet the 23 WoW votes are just from some kids new to the market.

Dronk
11-07-2008, 07:54
AC/DT ofcourse, should have been on the list :bang:

dinhosaur
11-07-2008, 08:32
I don't know why people want to delude themselves into thinking ac1-dt was some amazing environment. The game was full of hacks and exploits and very archaic and easy to play.

For me personally I actually enjoyed eq on the pvp servers, and i loved shadowbane before it went live lol.

AC-dt players are probably just nostalgic because gaming was so new to them back then, so they remember it for more than it was.

Ever gone back and played a game like goldeneye in this day and age? It is awful.

Abbadon
11-07-2008, 09:01
I bet the 23 WoW votes are just from some kids new to the market.

i just figured they are jokes, heh

0zz
11-07-2008, 09:11
OMFG EQ scored so badly. Well it was the bomb pve just not pvp.

Pls don't consider my vote for EQ a vote for care bear.

At most Id like to see some magic items not degenerate and the ability to bind a favorite item or 2 magically pickup able only by you. To keep it real like a curse on the item that does constant damage to any one dumb enough to not put it down other than the owner.

Teufell
11-07-2008, 09:22
Well to date here is my top 3

1. Shadowbane
2. EVE
3. UO

Anytime I get bored with a game and need something to play, I head back to SB. EVE was great and was an amazing concept and I enjoyed it for a year before getting ready for DF. UO was great for it's time, but alas it never kept me as interested as SB did, at least not enough to bring me back time after time like SB does.

Signus
11-07-2008, 09:31
EQ was a quality MMO, for PvE. I say its hard to judge which is the best MMO, because they all have different playstyles.

EQ for PvP

DAoC for PvP

and UO for sandbox.

Athan.F
11-07-2008, 09:39
Outwar ftw.

Powster
11-07-2008, 09:52
tibia and conquer online are my favorites.. darkfall hopefully will be my new favorite

Mastershake
11-07-2008, 09:58
For me best graphical mmo was AOC and the pvp was awsome too till they made 1 shotting easy as breathing. Best pvp i have ever played is Vanguard for sure. UO demise pvp isnt bad either, but not enough ppl play. So ima have to say my favorite is Vanguard.

Nehemia
11-07-2008, 10:01
1. SB
2. Helbreath [Perma-death enabled]
3. UO

Galadourn
11-07-2008, 10:04
I'll sadly go with WoW as it was my first; and I actually did have fun in the early days.

Camaris
11-07-2008, 10:04
Hey 13 people on Shadowbane with me *cheers*
I liked UO and DAoC but Shadowbane was awesome.

GFX: Shadowbane was for sure the worst in this category and
i have to admit that AOC which failed badly in other things did
a pretty god job at this.

Sound: Mhh i loved the Music in UO especially that in the capital
city ;P

Signus
11-07-2008, 10:07
If you've only played 1, don't vote! :)

kheled
11-07-2008, 11:16
I know most consider it blasphemy, but I think that WoW has been the "greatest" MMO to date. It really didn't have a lot of revolutionary ideas, but rather just great execution and a good enough budget to make a very fun game that really blew the market wide open. I prefer more open-ended games myself, and games that focus more on guild vs guild conflict than upgrading items, but it still deserves credit for being what it is.

UO sounds really awesome though I only played it for a few months, and I liked DAoC a lot on the FFA pvp servers. Shadowbane had some good ideas but horrible implementation. World of Warcraft got a lot of things right, though I just don't personally prefer the linear gameplay as much. There aren't any other MMOs worth playing on the market right now though, so still playing it until Darkfall arrives.

Caiok
11-07-2008, 11:26
Almost all future players from Darkfall, before playing Ultima Online. The best game of the world is beginning.

:sly:

WhiteStripes
11-07-2008, 11:34
Love LineageII <3 :)

Vogular
11-07-2008, 11:47
Uo

Gnomad
11-07-2008, 12:00
I have alot of found memories of the early times in UO.

dantemp
11-07-2008, 14:58
Mu Online O.o

Mr.Duck
11-07-2008, 17:20
UO purely for the sheer amount of freedom.

*sigh* I miss that game :/

Nystar
11-07-2008, 17:28
UO will stay the best for ever!
It seems :P

Hemi
11-07-2008, 17:32
I picked Shadowbane, it was the one that i started with.

Rugorim
11-07-2008, 17:36
UO was and still is.

Urnik
11-07-2008, 17:37
played a game called legend of mir 2, 2d open pvp and loot, was great, maybe because it was my first mmo ever, but imo its the best ive played :)

Bumguran
11-07-2008, 17:41
Whats wrong with you people ? The best Mmorpg ever was Everquest period, and thats it. End of discussion in my book, Everquest was the father of most Mmorpgs today ! The fucking father, a lot of video game companies that made mmorpgs based their game somewhat after Everquest. Some of the maps in WoW were based off it, and im sure there are others but this game has 14 expansion packs it's old, people still play it, and it was a great great game. I can't believe some of you voted for WoW you should be ASHAMED !

Ohaan
11-07-2008, 18:18
FWO (Fung Wang Online) by miles and miles and miles and.... miles.

The one downside to the game was that it was a massive PvE grind to develop your character. The max level was 250 and the highest level ever achieved was in the 150's. Most high levels tended to stop, or at least slow down drastically, in the 100-120 range as they felt they'd developed their character to what they'd originally planned. Although, in saying this, you leveled like a machine if you made the right build choices because you could solo mobs 20-30 levels higher if not more.

Sounds like a slice.

ASHERONS CALL

Skill based along with stats that could be fully adjusted at creation. The grandfather of skill based fun.

LINEAGE 2 in second.

Skill based? It is a hybrid; it also has an XP/level system.

Whats wrong with you people ? The best Mmorpg ever was Everquest period, and thats it. End of discussion in my book, Everquest was the father of most Mmorpgs today ! The fucking father, a lot of video game companies that made mmorpgs based their game somewhat after Everquest. Some of the maps in WoW were based off it, and im sure there are others but this game has 14 expansion packs it's old, people still play it, and it was a great great game. I can't believe some of you voted for WoW you should be ASHAMED !

The people on this forum are Darkfall fans. Meaning they favor PvP centric sandbox MMORPGs. EQ is nothing of the sort. In fact, one could argue that EQ is the culprit for all the level-grind theme park MMOs that we all are trying to get away from.

Wind4Air
11-07-2008, 18:24
WoW is da best ever cuz it be super sandbox, freedom 2 da playerz!

Seriously I don't understand this thread.

dark sparks
11-07-2008, 18:27
Of the ones I have played, I enjoyed FFXI for 6 years.

KiSsLuiGi
11-07-2008, 18:28

I never said that I think they are a good band now a days. They WERE good(except for Ulrich ofc) and I honor them as my personal favorite band and as one of the biggest metal bands ever.

Bowran
11-07-2008, 18:31
UO is number one...but how come no one mentioned Ryzom?

Patrik1939
11-07-2008, 19:32

Exactly what I was going to say.

LordRolo
11-07-2008, 19:35
Where the hell is Planet side? it was a MMOFPSRPG

and it was bloody brilliant. seeing as there was ONLY PvP and no classes, and amiable weapons. and capture bases......

HOLY SHIT IT WAS DARKFALL AND WE NEVER SAW IT

*Runs back to planet side*

Narcowski
11-07-2008, 20:38
Where the hell is Planet side? it was a MMOFPSRPG

and it was bloody brilliant. seeing as there was ONLY PvP and no classes, and amiable weapons. and capture bases......

HOLY SHIT IT WAS DARKFALL AND WE NEVER SAW IT

*Runs back to planet side*

I played it :ninja:

Waller3
11-07-2008, 21:56
me^_^

shadowbane is the best.
UO is second for me.

http://sites.google.com/site/worldofdarkfall/

Simon
11-07-2008, 21:59
Asheron's f*cking Call. The first.
Mucho fun and original universe. Period.

kanzyman
11-07-2008, 22:04
SWG-NGE, never played before the NGE, so I don't know what I was missing.

hammerhead517
11-07-2008, 22:12
Asherons Call

Signus
11-07-2008, 22:12
People need to learn to be objective.

This is not a question of what your favorite MMO is, its what you think the best one is, depth, feature wise, ect.

My favorite is DAoC, but it was slightly lacking in the freedom aspect.
It had the best PvP, and PvE that almost mirrored EQ.

The BEST MMO though, was UO. That kind of freedom and depth, and open endedness, sense of community, unrivaled.

forestchild
11-07-2008, 22:19

Srr never heared of any of the games u mentioned here either.

actualy can someone tell me what SB is like, i couldn't find anythign useful on it on youtube

AC/darktide first years was without any doub best free for all full loot pvp mmo ever, much better then UO.

And the one you reply to about grafhics proofed he never played it:P

Most here never played UO or AC or older mmo's there prolly just followers and think if i mention UO im one of the vets:P

This topic sucks if you dont have AC in list:bang:

And SB looks and played if it was made early 90's its awefull game, only good thing its it was also free for all pvp.

Dagger
11-07-2008, 22:21
uo wins with no fight!

Trainedmonkey
11-07-2008, 22:34
wow i'm shocked only 1 person said FFXI was not on the list, the "Hard Mode MMO" was a great PvE game and still is.

Narcowski
11-07-2008, 22:37
uo wins with no fight!

No, no, UO winds the GMUD contest... DikuMUD wins overall.

Aranin
11-07-2008, 23:26

this. asherons call DT cant believe its not on the list..geez

edit: let me explain why since it seems you and alot of others for some reason still dont know a whole lot about AC: DT. and i say AC: darktide because it was that server not really the white servers.

there are a few things thta amde AC: DT great
- a skill/level system that allowed for customization and creativity.
- a level system that allowed lower levels to compete competetively if they were good enough (within reason)
- FFA pvp with loot that promoted guild use but still enabled solo pvp
- a pvp system that promoted skill, the ability to dodge (make stuff miss more than dodge) and develope your own personal style in pvp.
- fast paced pvp (if you fucked up it was easy to die)
- player generated politics
- one of the best beastiary's ever in an MMO if not the best with a HUGE storyline that can be explored in depth if you really want to go and find the information in the world, with monthly updates and live events.
- a quest system that doesnt hold your hand and makes you think and work out riddles etc (until they went on maggies etc lol)

oh and did i mention how fucking awsome and fun the pvp was lol?

Bonney Goatbeard
11-08-2008, 02:29
Darkfall is the best MMORPG ever, it in the future it was the best MMORPG ever.

ThaFarmer
11-08-2008, 04:39
I can hardly beleive AoC is on that list...

Is it just because they gave it a huge market name with great pomises before it came out.. ?

If you actually play the game, you will reach a point where there's about nothing but ABSOLUTLY nothing to do in a very short time..

Not to mention that most of their promises aren't ingame yet + loads of broken content and the game is almost 6 months old

No disrespect to Funcom but they just failed big time on the launch.. and up to now IMO

Agrovale
11-08-2008, 04:57
UO was the pinnacle of MMO gaming. It had more freedom to do whatever, to whoever, with whatever, however, and all that shit, and there isn't anything out right now that even comes close. AC/DT was fun, but UO shattered it with its sheer ease of getting into the action in a mere day or two.

UO set the bar, and nothing that has been released has yet to come close to it.

Phenoca
11-08-2008, 04:59
I'm sorry to say this in a community of hardcore gamers, but I've always regarded Maple Story as the funnest MMORPG I've played, as it had cute graphics, a neat "bounce" feature (I mean "jumping"), and you could have awesome background-music!

Unfortunately, having a magician with 25 STR, and a maxxed-out "energy bolt" skill is not the best build for becoming a Healer (in fact, it was the worst, and the game did not let me adapt).

I also liked Trickster online due to the intuitive RO-like spellcasting system, and... Tales of Pirates was rather good until the grind got to you.

Trickster was a good game for me...

I stopped playing retail MMORPGs the day I learnt that Star Wars Galaxies had a monthly-subscription (2004/2003?).
(Yes I used to be a Star Wars fan - "Phenoca" is an unintentional copy off a minor one-line character in Episode I.)

Lorudce
11-08-2008, 05:04
Several good ones there and others. However, I have always been late to the party. I look forward to not joining as a young player after everyone else is 1 or 2 expansions in.

Niteflite
11-08-2008, 05:09
wow i'm shocked only 1 person said FFXI was not on the list, the "Hard Mode MMO" was a great PvE game and still is.

Hard mode because its such a long grind : yes,

Alucard
11-08-2008, 05:12
Okay, as this isn't Darkfall related I let it slide before shifting it over to the dark side of life in Off-Topic. Go with it at your own risk.

Hyster
11-08-2008, 05:23
clone thread, damn 13x,xxx people

Scottc1988
11-08-2008, 05:30

palo god
11-08-2008, 05:32
Just take out the O and it would be your mom.

antihero-zero
11-08-2008, 06:02

Guild Wars? That IS WoW/AoC with more instancing.

Skyborn
11-08-2008, 09:08
Yeah...I don't have the energy to flame this argument again, twice in one day...really.

white magi
11-08-2008, 20:00

i like guild wars but that is not an mmorpg.

UO without a shadow of a doubt before it was killed.

Ohaan
11-08-2008, 20:14
i like guild wars but that is not an mmorpg.

QFE

Zurvan
11-08-2008, 20:35
It is statistically proven that people will look back on their first MMORPG experience as the litmus test for all other MMO's. So most people will vote their first MMORPG as their favorite.

Enticle
11-08-2008, 20:41
Runescape!!!

Forgin
11-08-2008, 20:43
It is statistically proven that people will look back on their first MMORPG experience as the litmus test for all other MMO's. So most people will vote their first MMORPG as their favorite.

The sad thing is that my first MMO is WoW, and that goes for many (if not most) people in the current MMO market.
That's why the WoW clones are so succesful.

Mushushu
11-08-2008, 20:45
gotta love thos 2d games like mechquest and the spiderweb software games

Mushushu
11-08-2008, 20:46

hmm well then does that mean only people in there 40's should vote then?

willithesm
11-08-2008, 22:41
Tibia before all the shiny updates.

Mo0rbid
11-08-2008, 22:43

Good, can you lock the thread now? Or change the title to "which mmo was your first"- It's purpose is skewed

Hemi
11-08-2008, 23:39

True, every game where there is a Priest class or healer i compare the way the healing impacts the person i'm healing "AoC i couldn't stand the heals in that game" Wow was alot better in combat, but Shadowbane for me takes home the prize. My priest views are not others though.

Galdred
11-08-2008, 23:53
Eve should be on the poll list indeed, as it is one of the few sandbox MMORPG with full PvP, and corporation warfare.
Having 24,2% other make the poll pretty meaningless, as we already knew that UO would score first.

Stax
11-09-2008, 00:28
City of Heroes/City of Villians

One of the best MMO's I've ever played. Its pvp is only mediocre, however. Besides the pvp, it rocks all the way around. Been playing for nearly 4 years now.

Elochim
11-12-2008, 03:58
daoc!

epicor
11-12-2008, 05:09
didnt we justhave this thread like last week?

Ankh
11-12-2008, 06:34
Asheron's Call.

Thread seems familiar, yes.

TubeSock
11-12-2008, 06:51
Frosted Butts Online Adventure.

Ankh
11-12-2008, 06:52
Frosted Butts Online Adventure.

Before the big nerf patch :(

Vessol
11-12-2008, 07:01
My hand.

Everto
11-12-2008, 07:45
Runescape dominated my early years.

ChillyUK
11-12-2008, 08:57
im not sure if it was the best.. but i enjoyed SWG the most.

that game had sooooo much potential.. massive world.. player built cities.. extensive charecter creation/customisation and class choices (im talking in the early days.. before it became a shitty FPSer wannabe)

and most of all one of my favourite fantasy stories ever.. good old star wars.

its not even worth playing now.. it doesnt know what its doing.. old star wars mixed with crap from the new films.. and jedi everywhere.

that first year or 2 was amazing though... and i do miss it.

Staatsschutz
11-12-2008, 09:33
UO, no doubt

Gloomrender
11-12-2008, 09:41
My list would be:

1. Shadowbane: The best PVP MMORPG ever made (so far). Thousands of players clashed in opposing empires, with dozens of constituent guilds, on a battlefield scale yet to be topped by any other game. Character design and group design made it possible for a skilled smaller force to overcome a far larger number of opponents. Epic clashes of up to and over 180 players were an indescribably awesome experience to participate in.

2. Everquest: For being a true original that set the standard for all other MMO's, and for being my first MMO. It's a truly incredible accomplishment of game design for when it came out.

3. Guild Wars: 2nd best PVP game I've ever played. I'd still be playing if there wasn't such a grind for skills, and nurfing of skills, which made it far too Rock Paper Scissors. I will be checking out GW2 though, and I recommend everyone else do the same.

Mo0rbid
11-12-2008, 10:13
world of warcraft

igurath
01-07-2009, 17:54
its a toss up between AC & UO.. but I gotta go with AC

Eoren
01-07-2009, 18:03
For me and after try loads of MMORPGs the ones than really got me addicted were the old FFXI tho it had some problems like hours and hours of camping a single mob without knowing if your guild could get it or not...Gold sellers, lot of grinding but yea, the game was great lol.
And Lotro, not really a lord of the rings fan but the game was really great and specially it's community atleast on Gilrain server. I quited for Darkfall tho^^

Caalador
01-07-2009, 18:06
I thought EQ in the early days was fantastic, it was full loot and it was singulary the most unlinear MMO ever made.

tritzza
01-07-2009, 18:42
eve online

TiraX
01-07-2009, 20:45
for me it was tibia, but if I had played UI back then it probably would be it