PDA

View Full Version : Opening 2 programs in one shortcut?

Spinewire
10-30-2008, 14:57
I want to edit one of my shortcuts so it opens more than one program, is there away to do this?

This is on XP...

Spinewire
10-30-2008, 15:00
nm i just made a .bat file

Edit- Anyone know what the comand is to shut down the cmd.exe window is?

Salaman
10-30-2008, 15:18

"exit"

Morthor
10-30-2008, 16:19

its 'format c:'

..honest!

Spinewire
10-30-2008, 16:22
"exit"
I tried that, does not work

it's still left with the cmd window open after it's done.

biggunsar
10-30-2008, 16:28
I tried that, does not work

it's still left with the cmd window open after it's done.

You have to add @echo in the command line

Spinewire
10-30-2008, 16:33
You have to add @echo in the command line

"D:\Games\Warcraft III\Frozen Throne.exe"
"C:\Program Files\WC3Banlist\WC3Banlist.exe"
"exit @echo"

How do you mean?

Viluin
10-30-2008, 16:41
I don't think you can close a command window with a .bat file. I looked for a solution as well (I use a .bat file to open Chatzilla without having Firefox installed) and couldn't find one. Exit doesn't work, it only works when you open a command window via the start menu.

EDIT: I read something about being unable to tell a program to terminate itself when I was looking for a solution.

Spinewire
10-30-2008, 16:57
Got it working

@echo off
start /d "D:\Games\Warcraft III\" TFT
start /d "C:\Program Files\WC3Banlist" WC3Banlist.exe
exit

I had to make a shortcut renamed to TFT in the folder as when i put Frozen Throne.exe it did not like space, i have no idea how to get it to ignore the spce, also when i renamed the .exe it asked for a CD which is odd as the new patch lets you play without it.

Opens them both and then kills the window afterwards.

Viluin
10-30-2008, 17:04
Got it working

I had to make a shortcut renamed to TFT in the folder as when i put Frozen Throne.exe it did not like space, i have no idea how to get it to ignore the spce, also when i renamed the .exe it asked for a CD which is odd as the new patch lets you play without it.

Doesn't work for me..?

@echo off
k:
cd xul\xulrunner
xulrunner application.ini
exit

Spinewire
10-30-2008, 17:06
Doesn't work for me..?

@echo off
k:
cd xul\xulrunner
xulrunner application.ini
exit
where are the things you want to launch located exactly?

also that code is alot diff to mine

Viluin
10-30-2008, 17:09
where are the things you want to launch located exactly?

also that code is alot diff to mine

xulrunner.exe needs to open application.ini (Kinda like opening a Word document with Word). Both of those files are located in K:\xul\xulrunner.

Spinewire
10-30-2008, 17:18
xulrunner.exe needs to open application.ini (Kinda like opening a Word document with Word). Both of those files are located in K:\xul\xulrunner.
Can you not set that .ini file to use xulrunner, much like .txt files will open notepad? Rather than you having to open notepad then load the .txt into it?

That would be all your .ini files then as when you right click and open with you can't just set it to one file as far as i can see.

if you could then

@echo off
start /d "K:\xul\xulrunner" application.ini
exit

should work, then again all you would need is a shortcut to it then as your not opening up anything else.

I'm not really the person you should be asking about this shit tbh as i have very little to no clue.

Feyrband
10-30-2008, 17:33
your making this way to complicated. just right click your shortcuts for each program and copy the file path.

then paste each one in notepad. thats it. nothing else.

"C:\Program Files\WC3Banlist\WC3Banlist.exe"
"C:\Program Files\Warcraft III\Frozen Throne.exe"

<edit> oh and Save As, file type .bat

Viluin
10-30-2008, 17:33
Can you not set that .ini file to use xulrunner, much like .txt files will open notepad? Rather than you having to open notepad then load the .txt into it?

That would be all your .ini files then as when you right click and open with you can't just set it to one file as far as i can see.

if you could then

should work, then again all you would need is a shortcut to it then as your not opening up anything else.

I'm not really the person you should be asking about this shit tbh as i have very little to no clue.

Yes, but then all .ini files will be automatically opened with Xulrunner, which doesn't work.

Atnas
10-30-2008, 17:48
Oh Spinewire, you made a thread just so you could play Dota and WC3 easier with us! That's adorable!

biggunsar
10-30-2008, 17:50
Got it working

Good job. Knew you could do it.

Viluin
10-30-2008, 17:55
SOMEONE HAELP ME TOO!

k?

Spinewire
10-30-2008, 18:02
SOMEONE HAELP ME TOO!

k?
get your own damn thread

have you got it to open both without closing the window?

Oh Spinewire, you made a thread just so you could play Dota and WC3 easier with us! That's adorable!Yes, and i hardly ever open a program without something that goes with it.

I have yet to see you play DotA i'm going to be such a fucking let down for you.

Viluin
10-30-2008, 18:09
get your own damn thread

have you got it to open both without closing the window?

Of course I have. I don't actually see the "Xulrunner" application though, only if I launch it without an application file. Xulrunner is a runtime environment that's used to run Firefox add-ons (Firefox uses it too, I just have the standalone version). When I open my .bat file all I see is the Chatzilla IRC client and that god damn CMD window.

ejnomad07
11-01-2008, 04:11
Nice trick thanks! See if I can add vent to that list along with Warcraft3 and Banlist....:ohno:

Viluin
11-01-2008, 04:12
Someone had better help me too or else.

ejnomad07
11-01-2008, 04:19
Someone had better help me too or else.

Did you try the shortcut trick? Find the path to whatever application your trying to run. Make a shortcut to the application for easy work. Open it up. Copy paste the shortcut target line to a notepad. Put in as many shortcuts as you want. Then when you go to save as. For the name put "Youfilename.bat". See if that gets it started. :)

Viluin
11-01-2008, 15:39
Did you try the shortcut trick? Find the path to whatever application your trying to run. Make a shortcut to the application for easy work. Open it up. Copy paste the shortcut target line to a notepad. Put in as many shortcuts as you want. Then when you go to save as. For the name put "Youfilename.bat". See if that gets it started. :)

I need help auto-closing the CMD window, not starting two applications at once.

Spinewire
11-01-2008, 15:42
I need help auto-closing the CMD window, not starting two applications at once.
you need to figure out how to format it correctly so you can use the start /d at the front the code.

Weeking
11-01-2008, 15:53
Select both shortcuts, then press enter to open both, duh.

Viluin
11-01-2008, 15:58
you need to figure out how to format it correctly so you can use the start /d at the front the code.

I don't think you can use start to open a certain file with a certain application.

Spinewire
11-01-2008, 16:59
I don't think you can use start to open a certain file with a certain application.
yea that what i was affriad of so you could be shit out of luck :(

Viluin
11-01-2008, 17:23
yea that what i was affriad of so you could be shit out of luck :(

How retarded is that, the "exit" command should always work, period.

DOS sucks.

Mippoose
11-01-2008, 17:39
Who the fuck plays DOTA.

Gay guilds probably.