PDA

View Full Version : Free Civ, lets play :)

Tharkon Fargor
10-24-2008, 18:59
Hey guys,
I've always liked the Civ games.
I've played Civ 2-4 and 3 is my favourite.

As we all have different games and everything, what do you say to downloading Free Civ and playing Friday night?

That is right now :D
In about two hours, and then next friday to?

If we cant make it today, lets go for Saturday.

I myself haven't tried this game yet but its very similiar to Civ 2-3 from all the FAQ's and Screenies.

So you all up for some Free Civ? Today or tomorow? :D

http://freeciv.wikia.com/wiki/Main_Page

Tiarilir
10-24-2008, 19:00
Or we could play CIV 4 which is the best one yet.

Tharkon Fargor
10-24-2008, 19:02

Civ 3 is the best.

Just like HoMM3 is the best and Resident Evil 3 and Command and Conquer Generals (thus 3).

3 owns....

And I sont have Civ 4 :( Just played it at friends.
I only have Civ 3, Civ 2 is free to download tho but its a bit uggly.

Tiarilir
10-24-2008, 19:03
Civ 3 is the best.

Just like HoMM3 is the best and Resident Evil 3 and Command and Conquer Generals (thus 3).

3 owns....

So by your logic Darkfall 3 will be the best? Damn, we've got some wait ahead of us.

ejnomad07
10-24-2008, 19:03
There is a inverse proportion between the higher the number gets and how good it is.

Aragoni
10-24-2008, 19:04

If we skipped the newest expansion then I'd agree with this one.
Otherwise... Free civ it is!

Tiarilir
If we skipped the newest expansion then I'd agree with this one.
Otherwise... Free civ it is!

Meh, the newest expansion makes it so much better. Oh well, I'll play too.

Tharkon Fargor
So by your logic Darkfall 3 will be the best? Damn, we've got some wait ahead of us.

Haha :)

Nah but I think that Civ 3 honestly captured everything that was good about 1-2 and made it better + quite easy to mod.

Civ 4 is a bit of a different game to me...It's not the same.
I like the more deep political aspect of it tho and some other things.

But common lets play some Free Civ...!

PS Download 2.1.6. plx

Beal
10-24-2008, 19:07
The Colonization remake in CIV4 is pretty nice, I used to love to play the original one back when I was 11 or something.

Tiarilir
10-24-2008, 19:07
Version 2.1.6 installed.

Tharkon Fargor
10-24-2008, 19:08
LOL THis game is so different....Im lost xD Help me... how do I make a city haha?
We need some practise first!

AHA! Press B :D

Tharkon Fargor
10-24-2008, 19:09
Lol so much more complicated game xD

Tiarilir
10-24-2008, 19:12
Lol so much more complicated game xD

it doesn't seem THAT complicated, I just believe it'll take some time to get used to. I can't figure out how to move diagonally. Is there any command list or something?

rwp80
10-24-2008, 19:12
Hey guys,
I've always liked the Civ games.
I've played Civ 2-4 and 3 is my favourite.

As we all have different games and everything, what do you say to downloading Free Civ and playing Friday night?

That is right now :D
In about two hours, and then next friday to?

I like the sound of this idea.
I'm not sure if I'll be able to to this tonight, though.

Can you PM me with the details? I've never used freeciv before so I'm guessing I'll need a 'server address' or something to connect to.

I'll have to download freeciv itself, but I imagine that's not a big download.
(edit: I just downloaded it. It took 60 seconds. Here's the link for anyone who's interested: http://freeciv.wikia.com/wiki/Main_Page)

Another question is, are we meeting up on voice chat too?
If so, I'm gonna have to download whatever program (vent, TS, etc) it is.

If we do play, this (http://images1.wikia.nocookie.net/freeciv/images/d/d5/Two_eras.png) is probably how it will end up. Me on the left, of course. :(

Tharkon Fargor
10-24-2008, 19:13
it doesn't seem THAT complicated, I just believe it'll take some time to get used to. I can't figure out how to move diagonally. Is there any command list or something?

Use Numpad.

Tharkon Fargor
10-24-2008, 19:13
I like the sound of this idea.
I'm not sure if I'll be able to to this tonight, though.

Can you PM me with the details? I've never used freeciv before so I'm guessing I'll need a 'server address' or something to connect to.

I'll have to download freeciv itself, but I imagine that's not a big download.

Another question is, are we meeting up on voice chat too?
If so, I'm gonna have to download whatever program (vent, TS, etc) it is.

If we do play, this (http://images1.wikia.nocookie.net/freeciv/images/d/d5/Two_eras.png) is probably how it will end up. Me on the left, of course. :(
We're playing single player atm, trying to figure it out :P

Just download it and r0ck on :D

Tharkon Fargor
10-24-2008, 19:16
Ok. You got like this thing on the <<< Side where you can choose how much you want to spend on Taxes, Research and happiness.

But what I dont get is how much population any of the workers/settlers/etc cost.

FraBaktos
10-24-2008, 19:18
Civ 3 is the best.

3 owns....

Ummm.... if you think resident evil 3 is the best, then you don't have much credibility.

Skyborn
10-24-2008, 19:18
If anyone wants to play civ 4 + warlords I'd be down...it would have to be later on in the evening tonight, maybe 10ish

rwp80
10-24-2008, 19:19
Use Numpad.

Doh! My laptop has no numpad. :mad:
The original civ could be played without the number pad - You could click direction with the mouse. Hopefully, it's the same in this.

We're playing single player atm, trying to figure it out :P

Just download it and r0ck on :D

Erm, no thanks then. I already know civ quite well from the 'good old days'.
I know it well, but still suck at it tbh.

Tharkon Fargor
10-24-2008, 19:20
Ok. Workers cost no population but settlers cost 1 population. I'm guessing that 10 000 citizens=1 Pop.

Tiarilir
10-24-2008, 19:21
Doh! My laptop has no numpad. :mad:
The original civ could be played without the number pad - You could click direction with the mouse. Hopefully, it's the same in this.

Erm, no thanks then. I already know civ quite well from the 'good old days'.
I know it well, but still suck at it tbh.

Just press "G" and you can more efficiently choose where you want them to go ;-)

Tharkon Fargor
10-24-2008, 19:22
Ahh you can move them by clicking on them to...Yeah with G

Tharkon Fargor
10-24-2008, 19:24
Nvm :P If you want to find out what a tile produces, press the middle mouse button on your mouse.

Tharkon Fargor
10-24-2008, 19:34
Ok I seriously got a problem now. Why cant I build roads anywhere except like on a couple of mountains. Anywhere at a river I can't even construct a road...argh. Do I need techs or?

Tiarilir
10-24-2008, 19:36
Ok I seriously got a problem now. Why cant I build roads anywhere except like on a couple of mountains. Anywhere at a river I can't even construct a road...argh. Do I need techs or?

Probably need construction.

Clarth
10-24-2008, 19:37
You can never research math too quickly in Civ imo. :)

Tharkon Fargor
10-24-2008, 19:37
Yep, says you need it for "brobygge" (lol I have the swedish version).
Thanks.

Damn this game seems a bit better balanced than others.

For example in Civ 3-4 if you start near a place with alot of rivers youre like "OMFG YES" but here they make it harder to transport stuff over them so its not just "omfg yes"

Tharkon Fargor
10-24-2008, 19:54
Games got a big fat annoying thing and thats that you dont have any clue of when something is done in your city which makes it hard to operate a big kingdom.

Anyone got a solution for this?

Tiarilir
10-24-2008, 20:00
Games got a big fat annoying thing and thats that you dont have any clue of when something is done in your city which makes it hard to operate a big kingdom.

Anyone got a solution for this?

Civ 4.

Tharkon Fargor
10-24-2008, 20:01
Civ 4.

Fine. Changing topic to Civ 4 since most people seem to have it and I'm buying the game tomorow :P

Let's say 21.00 CET Civ 4 game? :)
Argh can't change the topic.
Making new thread! xD

fRdz
10-24-2008, 21:37
LOL THis game is so different....Im lost xD Help me... how do I make a city haha?
We need some practise first!

AHA! Press B :D

If you were the one who made this thread it would be by default that you should know the basics.. or you are just trying to be 'funny'

Tharkon Fargor
10-24-2008, 21:41
It looked pretty fun and it said it was a remake of Civ2 so I thought I'd know it. But all of us had trouble playing it so it wasn't like Civ2. A bit stupid by me, I know. But the description is untrue.

Xelos
10-24-2008, 21:49
Civ 3 is the best.

Totally agree. I got it 2001 and been into modding since. Still installed, though I was never into multiplayer (it kind of sucked).

Free Civ, on the other hand, I just can't. It was way too fast, the game was over before it started, the AI was acting stupid, or maybe I was doing something wrong.

Tharkon Fargor
10-24-2008, 21:57
Totally agree. I got it 2001 and been into modding since. Still installed, though I was never into multiplayer (it kind of sucked).

Free Civ, on the other hand, I just can't. It was way too fast, the game was over before it started, the AI was acting stupid, or maybe I was doing something wrong.

You can choose difficulty. On default its on easy.
Which is like dumbass-moron for a open source game.

Xelos
10-24-2008, 22:03
You can choose difficulty. On default its on easy.
Which is like dumbass-moron for a open source game.

It was a year ago, but I'm sure I changed that - I remember preparing the game, from the world stats to AI players was taking like 10 mins. On another note, Free Col was pretty fun (open source Colonization).

Tharkon Fargor
10-24-2008, 22:03
Anyway Free Civ kinda sucked.