PDA

View Full Version : Where in the solar system do you think there is life?

Toilet
10-18-2008, 15:58
Except Earth ofc.

Dang, spelled Callisto wrong.

Surly
10-18-2008, 16:00
Your anus.

Atua
10-18-2008, 16:00
In our solar system, probably no where, except maybe some bacterial life on one or two of jupiter's moons.

Barbarossa
10-18-2008, 16:01
They [scientists] say Europa most likely so I took that.

But they say a lot of things...

Unahim
10-18-2008, 16:01
Poll fails

Honorius
10-18-2008, 16:02
The moon.

Barbarossa
10-18-2008, 16:03
Poll fails

How so?

Is it because you have to use your brain instead of having the choice of "bewbs" or "none of the above"?

"Uh duhhhh.
Is the solar system the same as the galaxy or universe, duhhhhh...."

Tzacharu
I believe Jupitor's largest moon, Titan, has the best chance of life.

Its one of the only moons we currently know of that has evidence of bodies of water on the surface.

Eclipso
*points* there!

Toilet
In our solar system, probably no where, except maybe some bacterial life on one or two of jupiter's moons.

I personally believe that since Europa, Callisto and Ganimede suppsedly all have oceans, that it might be like the life which there is on the buttom of the oceans.

Kusghuul
10-18-2008, 16:04
Should've had none.

Toilet
10-18-2008, 16:04
I believe Jupitor's largest Moon, Titan, has the best chance of life.

Oh yah, forgot that one, with its methane oceans as a possible energy source.

Aragoni
10-18-2008, 16:05
Saturnus!

Toilet
10-18-2008, 16:05
Tellus.

I see what you did there.

Eclipso
10-18-2008, 16:06
I personally believe that since Europe, Callisto and Ganimede suppsedly all have oceans, that it might be like the life which there is on the buttom of the oceans.

Europe has a ocean??? NO WAI!!!! its not possible that human life can exisist in Europe.

Kusghuul
10-18-2008, 16:08
Actually! Yuggoth!

Toilet
10-18-2008, 16:10
Europe has a ocean??? NO WAI!!!! its not possible that human life can exisist in Europe.

Dumbfuck, it was a simple typo....

Aragoni
10-18-2008, 16:10
Actually! Yuggoth!

Yuggoth is Pluto.

Toilet
10-18-2008, 16:11
Yuggoth is Pluto.

Its also neither a planet nor a moon ^^

Unahim
10-18-2008, 16:12
How so?

Is it because you have to use your brain instead of having the choice of "bewbs" or "none of the above"?

"Uh duhhhh.
Is the solar system the same as the galaxy or universe, duhhhhh...."

I suggest you go look at my posts from the past, as you obviously have no clue what kind of person I am, and are, in your attempts to ridicule the mediocre off-topicer, making a complete fool of yourself whilst also succeeding in making it apparent that you are exactly the kind of person you try to mock.

The poll fails because the options are too damned confining and not broad enough.
A "none of the above" option would have been sensible indeed, since now people are either forced to pick one of those planets(even if they don't believe there's life on any of them) or not participate in the poll at all.

That's not called "using your brain" that's called a flawed poll.

Use -your- brain for once instead of going "OMFG LOL! This be FORUMFALLZZZZ! FLAMEZ.... AWAY!"

Aragoni
10-18-2008, 16:13
Its also neither a planet nor a moon ^^

It's considered a 'Dwarf Planet (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dwarf_planet)'. :D

Jester814
somewhere other than Earth

Toilet
It's considered a 'Dwarf Planet (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dwarf_planet)'. :D

But that dosent means its a planet.

Weeking
There is no none option.

And you forgot Nibiru.

Toilet
10-18-2008, 16:15
There is no none option.

And you forgot Nibiru.

Of course there is no none option, since we dont like religous fanatics saying there is only life on earth.

And if Niburu is anything, its a comet.

forestchild
10-18-2008, 16:17
Except Earth ofc.

Dang, spelled Callisto wrong.

On venus is life some bloody nice looking female there.

lemmingsoup
Almost certainly nowhere in our solar system, If we find life somewhere in the solar system it seems a fair bet that it would be carbon based and originally from earth or the same source as earth-bound life. The probability of life having just occurred in the same solar system as us seems to me to be incredibly low.

The question really is whether the probability per planet renders it likely that humans will ever come across extra terrestrial life. My bet would be that there is life (clusters of matter that create copies of themselves) elsewhere in the universe but that humans (hell, any earth-based life, anything could have evolved to the stage by the time the earth is fairly certain to be destroyed) will never come into contact with it.

I highly doubt that there is 'intelligent' life anywhere else in the universe, at least not by the general human understanding of intelligence.

Can't say i could quantify any of these probabilities, just a well considered guess.

alfaroverall
Titan and Triton, off the top of my head. Though the possibility of life either existing or having somewhat recently (i.e. within a few million years; this is recent in geological time, keep that in mind) existed on Mars seems to be increasing.

I really doubt there is life on this planet in general, though.

Also, this whole "zomg there's water life is likely" thing annoys me. Yes, water is needed for almost all known amino-acid based enzymatic reactions; yes water is produced when peptide bonds are formed; yes, liquid water happens to exist in the same temperature range that most amino acid-based enzymes function. That doesn't mean that amino acid-based life is the only life you're going to find anywhere. Even carbon-based life isn't necessarily the only life you're going to find anywhere.

Weeking
10-18-2008, 16:18
Of course there is no none option, since we dont like religous fanatics saying there is only life on earth.

No, NI.BI.RU. is a crappy adventure game.

forestchild
10-18-2008, 16:19
I suggest you go look at my posts from the past, as you obviously have no clue what kind of person I am, and are, in your attempts to ridicule the mediocre off-topicer, making a complete fool of yourself whilst also succeeding in making it apparent that you are exactly the kind of person you try to mock.

The poll fails because the options are too damned confining and not broad enough.
A "none of the above" option would have been sensible indeed, since now people are either forced to pick one of those planets(even if they don't believe there's life on any of them) or not participate in the poll at all.

Use -your- brain for once instead of going "OMFG LOL! This be FORUMFALLZZZZ! FLAMEZ.... AWAY!"

Thats why only reply's like i did to answer OP's question, are ok venus have beautifull girls living there:P

Scully
10-18-2008, 16:21
Det er liv i europa. hehe heh heheehe..................

Toilet
10-18-2008, 16:25
Also, this whole "zomg there's water life is likely" thing annoys me. Yes, water is needed for almost all known amino-acid based enzymatic reactions; yes water is produced when peptide bonds are formed; yes, liquid water happens to exist in the same temperature range that most amino acid-based enzymes function. That doesn't mean that amino acid-based life is the only life you're going to find anywhere. Even carbon-based life isn't necessarily the only life you're going to find anywhere.

The reason life is likely on for example Europa, is that there is both water and an energy source, ie the kinetic energy thats made when Jupiter and Europa pull eachother.

Also there is a pretty high chance life is created by stuff like lightning under the right conditions, atleast thats one of the theories for life on earth, as we had quite the storms in the early times.

Tharkon Fargor
10-18-2008, 16:29
I am sad that to say that this is indeed something you need to flush down your toilet, Toilet.

Toilet
10-18-2008, 16:29
I am sad that to say that this is indeed something you need to flush down your toilet, Toilet.

Does these jokes never get old?

Scully
10-18-2008, 16:30

Toilet humor.

Weeking
10-18-2008, 16:31

I'm starting to think you chose your name since you though it meant toil ette. A female worker.

Toilet
10-18-2008, 16:33
I'm starting to think you chose your name since you though it meant toil ette. A female worker.

Ehm, no.

The reason for picking this name was from another community where i was named Toiletcat_fertile, and then i shortened it to Toilet.

Unahim
10-18-2008, 16:34

The point is, you can believe there's life in the galaxy, but at the same time think the OP's possible locations for life are off

Surly
10-18-2008, 16:35
Toilet's name reminds me of poo! Tee hee!

Toilet
10-18-2008, 16:36
Toilet's name reminds me of poo! Tee hee!

http://www.humoronline.com/weird-news-pictures/head-up-ass-1.jpg

Surly
10-18-2008, 16:37
Poo! POO!!

alfaroverall
10-18-2008, 16:39
The reason life is likely on for example Europa, is that there is both water and an energy source, ie the kinetic energy thats made when Jupiter and Europa pull eachother.

Also there is a pretty high chance life is created by stuff like lightning under the right conditions, atleast thats one of the theories for life on earth, as we had quite the storms in the early times.
Lightning on Earth is postulated to have ripped apart nitrogen molecules (which it still does today) and then have provided the activation energy to form the initial amino acids with those free nitrogen atoms and atoms of carbon, hydrogen, and oxygen. (Then maybe some sulfur later on.) I don't think any scientists are actually postulating that the first cells formed in a bolt of lightning.

Also, that condition for Europa is true on both Titan and Triton. Noob.

Toilet
10-18-2008, 16:43
Also, that condition for Europa is true on both Titan and Triton. Noob.

I never said it wasnt.

cosimo84
10-18-2008, 16:46
statistically it's extremely improbable that there is intelligent life in our solar system, and I don't think there is any.

Possibly some kind bacteria but who cares about some stupid bacteria in a crevice somewhere?

Toilet
10-18-2008, 16:48
statistically it's extremely improbable that there is intelligent life in our solar system, and I don't think there is any.

Possibly some kind bacteria but who cares about some stupid bacteria in a crevice somewhere?

Who cares about some dumb monkeys?

cosimo84
10-18-2008, 17:02
Who cares about some dumb monkeys?

ok well when I said "intelligent life" I didn't mean sentient.

space monkeys would be cool. They might look like Alfar.

Bissen
10-18-2008, 17:05
There's life in the galactic confederacy. Everybody knows this...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cm9UKw1TkuU

slugy
10-18-2008, 17:33
titan or europa maybe. its fucking cold there though so maybe not

Barbarossa
10-18-2008, 17:35

Perhaps you should have stated this instead of just saying "poll fails", which regardless of what you think, still made you come off like a retard.

To be quite honest while we're on the subject, I don't care who you are or what you have posted in the past, I've never seen you in OT before.

shnedit
10-18-2008, 17:35
Mars.

Lotharr
10-18-2008, 17:37
Your anus.

i c wut u did thar

Bissen
10-18-2008, 17:39
Yeah. Surly is in his poo mood.

ejnomad07
10-18-2008, 17:43
Counter-Earth. Its just hiding on the other side of the sun.

slugy
10-18-2008, 18:02
do you think Ejaculation is better in space?

slugy
10-18-2008, 18:04
WTF wiki? sexist fuckers, seriously. you get to see a man blow his goo (a rather small man i might add) but no woman shooting her love juice. bullshit.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ejaculation
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Female_ejaculation

alfaroverall
10-18-2008, 18:07
do you think Ejaculation is better in space?
Your blood boils in space due to the extremely low pressure, so you couldn't possibly get a hardon.

slugy
10-18-2008, 18:16
Your blood boils in space due to the extremely low pressure, so you couldn't possibly get a hardon.
i was thinking more alone the lines of: you get a full on and rub one out till your ready to blow, then you open your little space fly and let the good times roll. i think it would be epic and also look pretty.

Lotharr
10-18-2008, 18:19
WTF wiki? sexist fuckers, seriously. you get to see a man blow his goo (a rather small man i might add) but no woman shooting her love juice. bullshit.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ejaculation
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Female_ejaculation

The funny thing is, that if those links were any other than Wikipedia, you'd already be smashed into the face by the Branhammer.

Captain James
10-18-2008, 18:20
Well can't really answer that question when it doesn't consider life forms that arn't carbonated, I mean there might even be rock based life out there for example.

Niteflite
10-18-2008, 18:24
Mars probably had life.
( Some show on discovery channel predicted that the myans lived there.....lol )

Europa I believe might have bacterium.

alfaroverall
10-18-2008, 18:28
i was thinking more alone the lines of: you get a full on and rub one out till your ready to blow, then you open your little space fly and let the good times roll. i think it would be epic and also look pretty.
Your blood would boil before you could finish those last few movements. Your hardon would be gone in about half a second, and you'd be dead in about 2.

Toilet
10-18-2008, 19:35
Your blood would boil before you could finish those last few movements. Your hardon would be gone in about half a second, and you'd be dead in about 2.

You forget, one thing.

That since space is cold, your blood wouldnt boil, but freeze.

Fro
10-18-2008, 19:38
I dont think all types of life need water to survive theres probably other types out there which rely on some other substance.

Toilet
10-18-2008, 19:38
Well can't really answer that question when it doesn't consider life forms that arn't carbonated, I mean there might even be rock based life out there for example.

But not likely in our solar system, the only likely life forms that arent carbon based are either sulphur based, Venus and Io, or gas based, Jupiter, Saturn, Neptune and Uranus, and even thats highly unlikely.

no-one
10-18-2008, 19:44
Where life can exist, it does exist.

Enticle
10-18-2008, 19:45

this

Temet nosce
10-18-2008, 19:53
You forget, one thing.

... Ever heard of the bends? We're not talking about temperature, we're talking about rapid depressurization leading certain gases in your body to break down out of solution and form bubbles.

If you still don't get it, go open a bottle of soda then imagine that happening in your body.

Leathe
10-18-2008, 19:53
You forget, one thing.

No, your blood would indeed boil. Space is what we call "vacuum" (which is in a way still incorrect) but it means there is nothing. How can it be cold, when there is nothing that is not vibrating? (It's deeper than this, but I cba to go into it)

On topic: I think Europa is indeed one of the places life could exist on.

Toilet
10-18-2008, 19:58
No, your blood would indeed boil. Space is what we call "vacuum" (which is in a way still incorrect) but it means there is nothing. How can it be cold, when there is nothing that is not vibrating? (It's deeper than this, but I cba to go into it)

On topic: I think Europa is indeed one of the places life could exist on.

Cold is the opposite of heat.

Like postive energy and negative energy, nature gives us plenty of negative energy but we only use positive energy for some weird reason.

Toilet
10-18-2008, 19:59
... Ever heard of the bends? We're not talking about temperature, we're talking about rapid depressurization leading certain gases in your body to break down out of solution and form bubbles.

If you still don't get it, go open a bottle of soda then imagine that happening in your body.

It still wouldnt boil, as boiling things is physical reaction while what you describe is a chemical reaction.

Dwhap
10-18-2008, 20:00
Since you don't have Titan in your poll, it fails.

Leathe
10-18-2008, 20:05

Like postive energy and negative energy, nature gives us plenty of negative energy but we only use positive energy for some weird reason.

Cold is indeed the opposite of heat. However there is nothing in space. Where would the heat transfer to from your body? I do believe the heat from your body does dissapear, but slowly and won't cause you to freeze, atleast right away.

Also, I think your bodytemperature would cause your blood to boil. E.g water up in the Himalayans boils already at 50ÂșC because of lower pressure. I'm no Chemist or anything, tho.. I can be wrong.

Temet nosce
10-18-2008, 20:07
It still wouldnt boil, as boiling things is physical reaction while what you describe is a chemical reaction.

Right, I wasn't sure if you were a troll or not. Thanks for confirming, still I suppose you aren't doing a terrible job. Anyways, I suppose I ought to prove the idiocy of your response even if it trolling, if for no other reason than to justify my +1. Really though, all you need to do is check what boiling is... Even Wikipedia specifically provides for depressurization in its definition.

Henu989
10-18-2008, 20:09
I can confirm that there is life on the planet Nibiru.

I also have a good feeling on Titan & Europa.

Vessol
10-18-2008, 20:12
Uh..there is much more beyond our measily little star system..like billions of other stars in our galaxy alone which is one of trillions in just visible space.

Leathe
10-18-2008, 20:13
I can confirm that there is life on the planet Nibiru.

Reptile creatures?
Yeah, they visited me yesterday.. gave me this.. thing. Said it will have great importance in December 2012.. Does anyone know what that was about?

I think I saw a documentary on Europa a few weeks ago.. They said they are possibly launching something to check if their thesis is true. Something about drilling into Europa to search for bacteria.

Uh..there is much more beyond our measily little star system..like billions of other stars in our galaxy alone which is one of trillions in just visible space.
True, but those other starsystems and galaxies are riddiculously far away..

Henu989
10-18-2008, 20:23
Reptile creatures?
Yeah, they visited me yesterday.. gave me this.. thing. Said it will have great importance in December 2012.. Does anyone know what that was about?
That was me. It's a buttplug.

Your supposed to wear it untill 2012.

Otherwise the evil spirits will escape your body and our time-space vortex can't channel and posess you to use the large hadron collider to disturb the 'Van Allen'-belt around your planet.

Kyrendis
10-18-2008, 20:23
I believe Jupitor's largest moon, Titan, has the best chance of life.

Its one of the only moons we currently know of that has evidence of bodies of water on the surface.

What he said. Poll fails.

Morthor
10-18-2008, 20:28
The Sun.

Toilet
10-18-2008, 20:28
What he said. Poll fails.

But those "bodies of water" is actually considered to be liquid methane....

andy9306
10-18-2008, 20:29

Not so much, really. Cold is usually considered the absence of heat, which is basically true. However, this absence is relative. It is more of a "less present" than "absence".

The way you describe it makes it seem as though you think that there is a hot energy and a cold energy. For example, it is -5 degrees. There is 5 degrees of positive energy and 10 degrees of negative energy, averaging out to -5 degrees of positive energy. Which is silly.

Counter-Earth. Its just hiding on the other side of the sun.

You saw that Spider-man series too?

Toilet
10-18-2008, 20:30
Right, I wasn't sure if you were a troll or not. Thanks for confirming, still I suppose you aren't doing a terrible job. Anyways, I suppose I ought to prove the idiocy of your response even if it trolling, if for no other reason than to justify my +1. Really though, all you need to do is check what boiling is... Even Wikipedia specifically provides for depressurization in its definition.

Boiling = adding energy that excites particles, making them jump more around, which reduces the pressure they have over a given space, while it remains unchanged if you consider the bigger picture.

Toilet
10-18-2008, 20:32
The way you describe it makes it seem as though you think that there is a hot energy and a cold energy. For example, it is -5 degrees. There is 5 degrees of positive energy and 10 degrees of negative energy, averaging out to -5 degrees of positive energy. Which is silly.

I took my definition from anti-matter and matter.

15 grams of anti-matter collide with 10 grams of matter = 5 grams of anti-matter

Now you cant measure anti-matter in grams, but still....

alfaroverall
10-18-2008, 20:37
You forget, one thing.

Incorrect. Look at a phase diagram. Under extremely low pressures, all substances exist as gases. regardless of temperature.

Though I imagine there would be sufficient pressure on your blood from the breath you were holding that you could probably finish ejaculation before your blood would boil.

Incidentally, it is possible, under very specific conditions of temperature and pressure, to cause a sample of a substance to exist in all 3 states of matter. For water it is about 0.006 atmospheres and slightly above the freezing point at 1 atmosphere. Someday I would really like to see that.

No it's not. The escape of CO2 from solution is a physical reaction, although technically what temet is referring to (the escape of dissolved gases in the blood) would happen before your blood would begin to boil.

I took my definition from anti-matter and matter.

15 grams of anti-matter collide with 10 grams of matter = 5 grams of anti-matter

Now you cant measure anti-matter in grams, but still....
Cold is not the opposite of heat, it's the relative lack of heat. Heat can never be completely removed either. This is why thermodynamic calculations have to be done on an absolute temperature scale at which absolute zero is zero (the usual one is the Kelvin scale).

Toilet
10-18-2008, 20:54
Though I imagine there would be sufficient pressure on your blood from the breath you were holding that you could probably finish ejaculation before your blood would boil.

Well, as all the blood turns into gas, it wouldnt boil.

You would explode.

alfaroverall
10-18-2008, 21:03
Well, as all the blood turns into gas, it wouldnt boil.

You would explode.
That's defined as boiling; the transition from liquid into gas from bottom to top (as opposed to evaporation where it is top to bottom, which causes only some of the liquid to evaporate readily).

But yes, with gaseous blood your veins would burst. You probably wouldn't explode, though.

Boiling = adding energy that excites particles, making them jump more around, which reduces the pressure they have over a given space, while it remains unchanged if you consider the bigger picture.
Incorrect. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/boiling

typically occurs when a liquid is heated to its boiling point, the temperature at which the vapor pressure of the liquid is equal to the pressure exerted on the liquid by the surrounding environmental pressure. Thus, a liquid may also boil when the pressure of the surrounding atmosphere is sufficiently reduced, such as the use of a vacuum pump or at high altitudes.

Morthor
10-18-2008, 21:07
Thanks for the science lessons guys. I'll stick to my original guess at the Sun though. Just because it's too hot for US? Whats to say the aliens are'nt MADE OUT OF FIRE?

The Cougar
10-18-2008, 21:08
I doubt so. Your blood pressure should be enough to keep your blood from boiling, at least for a period of time.

I googled and found a few articles on it actually, think I posted these here last time we wondered about the very same thing.

http://space.about.com/cs/basics/a/bodyvacuum1.htm

http://www.damninteresting.com/?p=741

alfaroverall
10-18-2008, 21:08
Thanks for the science lessons guys. I'll stick to my original guess at the Sun though. Just because it's too hot for US? Whats to say the aliens are'nt MADE OUT OF FIRE?
Bonds can't form in those temperatures. Nuclei don't even have electrons around them in that environment. So unless individual atoms are alive, no, there's no life inside of a star.

I doubt so. Your blood pressure should be enough to keep your blood from boiling, at least for a period of time.

I googled and found a few articles on it actually, think I posted these here last time we wondered about the very same thing.

http://space.about.com/cs/basics/a/bodyvacuum1.htm

http://www.damninteresting.com/?p=741
You mean the pressure of the gas over your blood from your breath? I mentioned that later in the thread.

The Cougar
10-18-2008, 21:15
You mean the pressure of the gas over your blood from your breath? I mentioned that later in the thread.
You wouldn't die within two seconds, and your blood wont begin to boil. The effect the sudden lack of pressure would have on your body and blood would be painful though:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Decompression_sickness

AndromedusO
10-18-2008, 21:18
Thread fails. Earth's moon is not an option.

alfaroverall
10-18-2008, 21:22
You wouldn't die within two seconds, and your blood wont begin to boil. The effect the sudden lack of pressure would have on your body and blood would be painful though:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Decompression_sickness
As I said, I mentioned that later in the thread, and implicitly retracted my previous statement.

Yantheman
10-18-2008, 21:22
Hasnt it been more or less decided that the chance of there being any life whatsoever in this solar system is astronomically small?

alfaroverall
10-18-2008, 21:25
Hasnt it been more or less decided that the chance of there being any life whatsoever in this solar system is astronomically small?
No pun intended?

The Cougar
10-18-2008, 21:26
As I said, I mentioned that later in the thread, and implicitly retracted my previous statement.
Sorry. :(

Vanno
10-18-2008, 21:44
In our Solar system, the only likely life is on Europa, and it is probably just bacteria.

lemmingsoup
10-18-2008, 22:31
In our Solar system, the only likely life is on Europa, and it is probably just bacteria.

Probably bacteria? What the fuck are the chances that the first life form we come across having a similar cellular structure to that of life-forms we see here on earth? Unless the life elsewhere in the solar system somehow came from earth or (though this theory has been widely discredited) came to the solar system in the same event as earth's life there is no real likelihood that it will be anywhere near close enough to life as we know it to fit into the same classifications.

There's not even any reason to believe it would be smaller or less varied than life on earth, it could easily have had longer to evolve if the life-sparking event there was earlier than that on earth and in a purely aquatic environment it's easier, physically, to support a larger body.

Either way, i think the chances of us ever encountering extra terrestrial life is so low as to make aliens barely worth thinking about.

LordTenacious
10-18-2008, 22:52

Human life? Yeah. Intelligent beings? No way.

Mons
10-18-2008, 22:58
There will be enough in other solar systems :)

Tamural
10-19-2008, 00:55
All this blasphemy of life beyond Earth.

Burn the heretics!

Yantheman
10-19-2008, 00:58
No pun intended?

I was really thinking about rewording that just to avoid any sort of confusion, decided not to. And oh how I regret that now.

Viluin
10-19-2008, 01:17
I just wish humanity would put more resources into building space colonies. Seriously, how hard can it be to build a bubble city on another planet?

Toilet
10-19-2008, 01:18
I just wish humanity would put more resources into building space colonies. Seriously, how hard can it be to build a bubble city on another planet?

But where would those resources come frooom?

Surely not from the militiary, because then we couldnt control the 3rd world nations!

ejnomad07
10-19-2008, 01:19

As hard as a bubble city under the water?

Toilet
10-19-2008, 01:21
As hard as a bubble city under the water?

Actually that wouldnt be hard...

You would just need some uranium, some water, and some bacteria, then you have a viable energy souce.

Vanno
10-19-2008, 01:59
Probably bacteria? What the fuck are the chances that the first life form we come across having a similar cellular structure to that of life-forms we see here on earth? Unless the life elsewhere in the solar system somehow came from earth or (though this theory has been widely discredited) came to the solar system in the same event as earth's life there is no real likelihood that it will be anywhere near close enough to life as we know it to fit into the same classifications.

There's not even any reason to believe it would be smaller or less varied than life on earth, it could easily have had longer to evolve if the life-sparking event there was earlier than that on earth and in a purely aquatic environment it's easier, physically, to support a larger body.

Either way, i think the chances of us ever encountering extra terrestrial life is so low as to make aliens barely worth thinking about.

Rant aside, yes the only thing that is likely on Europa is bacteria.

alfaroverall
10-19-2008, 02:05
We can hardly move anything up with current shuttle technology at a time. (Seriously, the maximum payload for current shuttles is less than one ton as I recall.) Moving people in space for the years it takes just to get to Mars isn't conceivable yet either, since their muscles decay to the point that when they land on Mars, they can't walk.

palo god
10-19-2008, 02:05

Pluto is a moon.

Viluin
10-19-2008, 02:07
We can hardly move anything up with current shuttle technology at a time. (Seriously, the maximum payload for current shuttles is less than one ton as I recall.)

Surely it can't be that hard of a problem to solve. Maybe attach some kind of container to the ship and drag it through space or w/e.

Moving people in space for the years it takes just to get to Mars isn't conceivable yet either, since their muscles decay to the point that when they land on Mars, they can't walk.

That's why every space shuttle needs a gym! :sly:

Toilet
10-19-2008, 02:07
Pluto is a moon.

No, its technically a double-moon.

palo god
10-19-2008, 02:11
No, its technically a double-moon.

Its still a moon.

toddyr15
10-19-2008, 02:15
YOu know nothing of how to make polls, They gotta be about your sexuality

Toilet
10-19-2008, 02:17
YOu know nothing of how to make polls, They gotta be about your sexuality

Just because you dream of getting anal fisted dosent mean we want to hear about it.

alfaroverall
10-19-2008, 02:17
Surely it can't be that hard of a problem to solve. Maybe attach some kind of container to the ship and drag it through space or w/e.
You don't understand. Current shuttles can't move more than about a ton of any material into space, much less get it to another planet. Hauling an entire city worth of material 1 ton at a time to another planet would cost trillions upon trillions of dollars, assuming it would even be possible.

Now, if they would bring back Project Orion (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Project_Orion_(nuclear_propulsion)), that might change.

That's why every space shuttle needs a gym! :sly:
It's hard to design a zero-gravity gym. Treadmills don't work. Weight lifting doesn't work. And so on.

Toilet
10-19-2008, 02:20
It's hard to design a zero-gravity gym. Treadmills don't work. Weight lifting doesn't work. And so on.

Ehm, you could send electric signals through the spinal cord to all muscles in the body.

It wouldnt be a gym, but it would work.

alfaroverall
10-19-2008, 02:23
Ehm, you could send electric signals through the spinal cord to all muscles in the body.

It wouldnt be a gym, but it would work.
You don't think that might backfire and just kill you?

Granted, in theory that might work (you'd still have some dystrophy since there would be minimal exertion but it would be less) but working out the kinks would be a nightmare. You'd almost be better off just trying to figure out a way to exercise in zero gravity, though how exactly you would do it is beyond me.

Here's an alternative:
http://www.allbusiness.com/professional-scientific/scientific-research-development/295740-1.html

Toilet
10-19-2008, 02:25
You don't think that might backfire and just kill you?

Well of course muscles like the heart and the lungs wouldnt be send to.....

alfaroverall
10-19-2008, 02:29
Well of course muscles like the heart and the lungs wouldnt be send to.....
Sending selective signals down the spinal cord? Yeah, good luck with that. If we could do that, we'd easily be able to invent a machine to effectively "cure" paralysis (strap yourself in, think of walking, and the machine sends the signals for walking).

Homeless Joe
10-19-2008, 02:37
just fyi, pluto is actually a planetoid, as of now they strap people down to treadmills in space, but yes, they still don't know how to fully counteract the effects of zero gravity on muscles and bones. they have thought of creating artificial gravity and such through spinning the space craft. either way a trip to mars is looking pretty much like a suicide mission. and there is highly advanced forms of life living in the water on europa, though maybe not sentient. maybe not. but it's rather naive to assert there is any life or what form that life assumes since we really haven't been there. we are still discovering life in places on our own planet we once thought uninhabitable. and who's to say life can only exist in a form similar to the life on our planet?

AngusFinch
10-19-2008, 03:35
I picked Europa. I thought France had a chance of developing intelligent life before they elected Sarkozy.

alfaroverall
10-19-2008, 03:39
there is highly advanced forms of life living in the water on europa,
lolwut? We don't know whether or not there is life on Europa right now...

Homeless Joe
10-19-2008, 04:19
lolwut? We don't know whether or not there is life on Europa right now...

quoting text out of context ftw!
reading / comprehending entire posts ftl!

alfaroverall
10-19-2008, 04:39
quoting text out of context ftw!
reading / comprehending entire posts ftl!
Ah crap, stopped there. I had read the rest of the post but not what came after that. Still, you have to admit, your wording wasn't very good there.

Homeless Joe
10-19-2008, 04:50
yeah, everyone else was asserting their beliefs as truths, i just wanted to join in =)

heroshade
10-19-2008, 05:08
I think it was a moon of Jupiter that has an ice covered ocean that some think may support life.

Leonon
10-19-2008, 06:35
Rant aside, yes the only thing that is likely on Europa is bacteria.Why does everyone think "First life to crop up will be bacteria"? Fungi are a much simpler form of life to start up. Beyond that I'd guess any life form simpler than fungi would be so alien we're unlikely to even imagine it so I can see why we don't think of anything that primitive, but fungi are still more likely than bacteria.

Besides that, I think anyone who seriously entertains the thought of life being discovered on another astronomical body in this century doesn't understand exactly how difficult it is for life to start from not-quite-living-yet chemicals.

Yes, I know space is so massive that it's almost impossible for it to not be out there somewhere. It's massiveness also means that it's unlikely that the "somewhere" is anywhere near us.

PrimalSign
10-19-2008, 09:56
Sending selective signals down the spinal cord? Yeah, good luck with that. If we could do that, we'd easily be able to invent a machine to effectively "cure" paralysis (strap yourself in, think of walking, and the machine sends the signals for walking).

We can do that and we're working on improving it right now.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iys5wvQD72Y&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SSaBOd4pQpM&feature=related

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,361822,00.html
^ for an example of how it's working with humans.

Homeless Joe
10-19-2008, 16:09
Why does everyone think "First life to crop up will be bacteria"? Fungi are a much simpler form of life to start up. Beyond that I'd guess any life form simpler than fungi would be so alien we're unlikely to even imagine it so I can see why we don't think of anything that primitive, but fungi are still more likely than bacteria.

Besides that, I think anyone who seriously entertains the thought of life being discovered on another astronomical body in this century doesn't understand exactly how difficult it is for life to start from not-quite-living-yet chemicals.

Yes, I know space is so massive that it's almost impossible for it to not be out there somewhere. It's massiveness also means that it's unlikely that the "somewhere" is anywhere near us.

and if we were to find it near us it would seem to imply that it is not only uncommon, but the norm and the universe should be full of life. we are finding life in places we thought was impossible on our own planet and there is no way to know for certain if the form of life, carbon based, that exists on earth is the only form life can take. there is no way to know much about life on other planets, but i like to believe that life is gonna be found in diverse forms and just about everywhere we look.

Patrician
10-19-2008, 17:28
Hey, I'm living in Europe. So I guess there is life around here somewhere :sly:

Ah you've been talking about that moon. Don't know, there is water up there but most likely all of it's frozen.

alfaroverall
10-19-2008, 17:32
Why does everyone think "First life to crop up will be bacteria"? Fungi are a much simpler form of life to start up. Beyond that I'd guess any life form simpler than fungi would be so alien we're unlikely to even imagine it so I can see why we don't think of anything that primitive, but fungi are still more likely than bacteria.
Fungi are not simpler than bacteria...lrn2biology. Plus, fungi are dependent on the existence of more complex life in almost all cases, since they almost all derive energy from decomposition reactions.

This much I agree with.

We can do that and we're working on improving it right now.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iys5wvQD72Y&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SSaBOd4pQpM&feature=related

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,361822,00.html
^ for an example of how it's working with humans.
Interesting. Probably absurdly expensive, though.

Seems to me, though, that designing an interface that allows people to remotely manipulate human-like machines would be the best way to go for intrastellar space travel. That only really becomes problematic when it takes over an hour or so for signals to go back and forth, at least IMO.

Saturday Saint
10-19-2008, 18:27
Earth.

SercRepsacRedid
10-19-2008, 18:40
I'm sure there is life elsewhere, but I have no damned clue. I doubt within our solar system. No clue though and I'm not gonna make a guess as to where :P

ejnomad07
10-19-2008, 18:47
I'm sure there is life elsewhere, but I have no damned clue. I doubt within our solar system. No clue though and I'm not gonna make a guess as to where :P

Thanks for posting that.

Homeless Joe
10-19-2008, 20:52
Hey, I'm living in Europe. So I guess there is life around here somewhere :sly:

Ah you've been talking about that moon. Don't know, there is water up there but most likely all of it's frozen.

the surface is frozen. but large cracks suggest activity below the surface in the form of liquid oceans and possibly thermal activity at the bottom from the pull of gravity on the moon. that is why it is so interesting to scientist.

iizbl4ck
10-19-2008, 20:58
that is pretty interesting, im going to be looking that one up later and see what info[if any] they acquired so far.