PDA

View Full Version : Gaming: Newest World of Warcraft Patch

Beorg
10-14-2008, 21:08
Beorg here, and as sad as it may seem, I do still play World of Warcraft. Recently, however, the memory and speed of my computer was tested to its maximum as I tried to download the most recent patch which includes a new zone, as I'm told. However, the patch is 1.2G and a further isntallment is 6.8G. I only had room for the initial patch, which is 1.8G. Let me note: I have almost nothing on my computer besides Windows Movie Maker and the basic tools of a computer, yet I cannot download this newest patch. Moreover, I would like to know if anybody else is receiving the same error message that states that one's computer hasn't enough memory for World of Wacraft, and to try deleting a "few things" until you have enough disk space. I have two drives: C and D, and I thought this might be it, as I only use C for long-term memory.
On further investigation, however, I have found that D is only capable of holding a very limited amount of material. My computer in all has 8G of memory, which is quite pathetic by today's standards, though I do not see where so much space was taken up.
Does anybody have any adivce? I'm looking into a new computer at this very moment, but the man down the street at a computer shop is ripping me off and trying to sell me 1G systems that are even older than my computer.

Skyborn
10-14-2008, 21:10
Beorg here, and as sad as it may seem, I do still play World of Warcraft. Recently, however, the memory and speed of my computer was tested to its maximum as I tried to download the most recent patch which includes a new zone, as I'm told. However, the patch is 1.2G and a further isntallment is 6.8G. I only had room for the initial patch, which is 1.8G. Let me note: I have almost nothing on my computer besides Windows Movie Maker and the basic tools of a computer, yet I cannot download this newest patch. Moreover, I would like to know if anybody else is receiving the same error message that states that one's computer hasn't enough memory for World of Wacraft, and to try deleting a "few things" until you have enough disk space. I have two drives: C and D, and I thought this might be it, as I only use C for long-term memory.
On further investigation, however, I have found that D is only capable of holding a very limited amount of material. My computer in all has 8G of memory, which is quite pathetic by today's standards, though I do not see where so much space was taken up.
Does anybody have any adivce? I'm looking into a new computer at this very moment, but the man down the street at a computer shop is ripping me off and trying to sell me 1G systems that are even older than my computer.

Are you just out of disk space?

Actually it sounds like you set up your OS on a small partition but I would need more info to be sure.

kordoyn
WoW takes up about 8 gigs by itself.

Hyster
My computer in all has 8G of memory, which is quite pathetic by today's standards, though I do not see where so much space was taken up.

8gig is not pathetic for memory is high end, now i think your talking about disk space on your hardrive? maybe you had the 2 mixed up

Beorg
10-14-2008, 21:11
Are you just out of disk space?

Actually it sounds like you set up your OS on a small partition but I would need more info to be sure.

I believe so.

Though I have a basic knowledge about the mechanics of a computer, I have no idea what you're talking about.

8gig is not pathetic for memory is high end, now i think your talking about disk space on your hardrive? maybe you had the 2 mixed up

So it seems.

I want to ask you a question while you're here: Why did you name yourself "Hyster", which was the original name Nostradamus predicted Hitler would be named?

iPwn
10-14-2008, 21:12
Gtfo with your WoWHate Speech!

Skyborn
10-14-2008, 21:13
Go to my computer and find the icon for your HD. Right click, go to properties and see how much available disk space there is.

Do you know how large your HD is?

Mulambo
Buy a new HDD: http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=2010150014%201035907788&name=IDE%20Ultra%20ATA133

I'm guessing you need IDE 133, but who knows?

AngusFinch
What country do you live in? I can't believe people still have 1 gig hard drives. That's like 1997 or something. Modern computers, anything over $100, should have at least 80 gigs. Mine has 138 and its 4 years old. And it does eat up the space. I already used 50 gigs.

Kinsari
10-14-2008, 21:14
Go to the windows start menu and click computer. Then single-click on where it says C: Drive (don't open it, just single click to highlight) and see what it says for "Free Space" and "Total Capacity."

Hyster
10-14-2008, 21:14
What country do you live in? I can't believe people still have 1 gig hard drives. That's like 1997 or something. Modern computers, anything over $100, should have at least 80 gigs. Mine has 138 and its 4 years old. And it does eat up the memory. I already used 50 gigs.

diskspace not memory.

Beorg
10-14-2008, 21:15
Go to my computer and find the icon for your HD. Right click, go to properties and see how much available disk space there is.

Do you know how large your HD is?

C Drive: 1.83G Available Space, with 31.6G total
D Drive: 869MB Available Space, with 5.57G total

Does that answer your question?

Skyborn
diskspace not memory.

lol

Duncandun

Stop System Restore.

Go to Control Panel->system restore->Turn off System Restore

this should free up 10-20gigs in your C Drive.

Beorg
10-14-2008, 21:18
Stop System Restore.

I can't turn it off, I can only set restore points and actually use System Restore.

Agge
10-14-2008, 21:19
Stop System Restore.

Soo theres where 14GB went!

Duncandun
10-14-2008, 21:20
I can't turn it off, I can only set restore points and actually use System Restore.

take a screenshot, if you will for me.

Beorg
10-14-2008, 21:21
take a screenshot, if you will for me.

I couldn't post it anyway.

Duncandun
10-14-2008, 21:22

why?

print screen>Mspaint>CTRL+V>save as jpg>upload to tinypic.com>post link here

Hyster
10-14-2008, 21:22

yes you can (Classic View)
Control Panel > System > System Protection , Set Restore point none
and tell me how big is the file WinSxS on your computer?

Beorg
10-14-2008, 21:25
yes you can (Classic View)
Control Panel > System > System Protection , Set Restore point none
and tell me how big is the file WinSxS on your computer?

Found it. Searching for WinSxS...

Jangang
10-14-2008, 21:25
Memory = Ram
Memory |= Disc Space

I believe you are saying your computer has 8 GB of disk space, which is tiny. (1991 tiny). However unless you did massive upgrades a few times, but somehow forgot to get a new HDD you are likely talking about RAM. But than again, 8GB of ram is not tiny, thats quite a bit. Only 3.2 would be usable under most Operating Systems however, (XP 64, or Vista 64) I doubt WoW would run at all under XP 64 hehe.

So,

Tell us how much RAM you have. AND how much Disc Space you have.

Also, if possible put in the EXACT error message you are getting.

Edit:

Okay, you answered the disc space thing already. I'd like to note that the computer someone is trying to sell you w/ only 1GB of memory, is probably referring to 1GB of RAM. I don't think you can even buy a HDD under 20GB anymore, and finding one under 40, or 80 would be difficult.

Either way, you computer runs WoW already so the cheapest thing to do would be to get another HDD. Find someone who knows a little about this stuff to help you so that you buy one that you have a connector for, and get a new drive. You should be able to get a 40 or 80 GB drive for $40ish bucks.

Duncandun
10-14-2008, 21:28

Memory = Ram
Memory |= Disc Space

I believe you are saying your computer has 8 GB of disk space, which is tiny. (1991 tiny). However unless you did massive upgrades a few times, but somehow forgot to get a new HDD you are likely talking about RAM. But than again, 8GB of ram is not tiny, thats quite a bit. Only 3.2 would be usable under most Operating Systems however, (XP 64, or Vista 64) I doubt WoW would run at all under XP 64 hehe.

So,

Edit:

Okay, you answered the disc space thing already. I'd like to note that the computer someone is trying to sell you w/ only 1GB of memory, is probably referring to 1GB of RAM. I don't think you can even buy a HDD under 20GB anymore, and finding one under 40, or 80 would be difficult.

lttp

Brett
10-14-2008, 21:29
obvious troll. move along folks. 1000 posts and he doesn't know what the fuck a hard drive is? someone ban this guy.

Hyster
10-14-2008, 21:30
Memory = Ram
Memory |= Disc Space

So,

Edit:

Either way, you computer runs WoW already so the cheapest thing to do would be to get another HDD. Find someone who knows a little about this stuff to help you so that you buy one that you have a connector for, and get a new drive. You should be able to get a 40 or 80 GB drive for $40ish bucks.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822144126

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=3975881&CatId=8

80gig

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822148236
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822135106

Milo Hobgoblin
10-14-2008, 21:32
there is nothing wrong with your PC.. its just rejecting WOW as it has reached its limit of installed bullshit.

Beorg
10-14-2008, 21:32
Memory = Ram
Memory |= Disc Space

So,

Edit:

My computer's pushing 8 years old this Christmas, I'll probably just get rid of it. It's slow, it' laggy and seems to take a long time for the simplest tasks. I don't feel the need to keep dragging on with this piece of shit anymore.

Beorg
10-14-2008, 21:34
obvious troll. move along folks. 1000 posts and he doesn't know what the fuck a hard drive is? someone ban this guy.

Oh, it's you again. Listen, I know very little about computers, which I've already stated in several posts before. If you haven't the competence to read them, I'll ask you to stay out of this discussion.

Duncandun
10-14-2008, 21:37
Oh, it's you again. Listen, I know very little about computers, which I've already stated in several posts before. If you haven't the competence to read them, I'll ask you to stay out of this discussion.

ANYWAY

did you fix your issue? were you able to disable system restore?

Jangang
10-14-2008, 21:37
Ah,

Well make sure your new one has at least 2 GB of Ram. Anything new will have a decent sized HDD, especially compared to what you have now.

Post the specs before you buy it, so you don't end up w/ something that won't even run your games. :)

The biggest things to look for in a factory built computer are:

Plenty of RAM, A Decent CPU, A Decent Video Card.

Brand, and other parts can have a big impact as well, but those are the things you can look at right in an ad.

Anything new will likely come w/ Vista. If it has 4 or 8 GB of RAM make sure it comes w/ Vista 64 or you won't be able to use over 3.2. (Though the makers know this and should have it setup that way anyway.)

Brett
10-14-2008, 21:40

no but seriously, you've already stated that you DONT have enough hard drive space for the files. wtf are you asking us for? we can't magically add more space to your disk man.

you've made 1,000 posts on these forums and you seriously don't realize that when your hard drive is full, you need to buy a bigger one? that sounds pretty unlikely to me....

Beorg
10-14-2008, 21:41
ANYWAY

did you fix your issue? were you able to disable system restore?

Yes, I didn't see anything change, though. I tried installing the patch with the same result. :( I guess it's time to put Old Yeller down.

Ah,

Well make sure your new one has at least 2 GB of Ram. Anything new will have a decent sized HDD, especially compared to what you have now.

Post the specs before you buy it, so you don't end up w/ something that won't even run your games. :)

The biggest things to look for in a factory built computer are:

Plenty of RAM, A Decent CPU, A Decent Video Card.

Brand, and other parts can have a big impact as well, but those are the things you can look at right in an ad.

Anything new will likely come w/ Vista. If it has 4 or 8 GB of RAM make sure it comes w/ Vista 64 or you won't be able to use over 3.2. (Though the makers know this and should have it setup that way anyway.)

I was thinking about the new HP Touch :). Other than that, I've been prowling NewEgg and TigerDirect for some good systems, and I've began putting together a good machine.

no but seriously, you've already stated that you DONT have enough hard drive space for the files. wtf are you asking us for? we can't magically add more space to your disk man.

you've made 1,000 posts on these forums and you seriously don't realize that when your hard drive is full, you need to buy a bigger one? that sounds pretty unlikely to me....

Disk drive is full, jackass, don't contradict yourself in a flaming post.

Hyster
10-14-2008, 21:44
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820227269
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16832116488

same stuff i use

shackal
10-14-2008, 21:44
Delete some junk off the D drive
and move your swap file to D that will give you some space.

Beorg
10-14-2008, 21:47
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820227269
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16832116488

same stuff i use

Once I get what I think is a suitable computer I'll post it on the boards for the computer-savvy blokes here to critique.

Brett
10-14-2008, 21:52
Once I get what I think is a suitable computer I'll post it on the boards for the computer-savvy blokes here to critique.

you're just a tool looking for some dude online to jerk you off... you know you don't have enough space. you know you need to delete some shit or buy a new hard drive. where's the fucking mystery here?

Mulambo
10-14-2008, 21:53
you're just a tool looking for some dude online to jerk you off... you know you don't have enough space. you know you need to delete some shit or buy a new hard drive. where's the fucking mystery here?
stfu idiot. he just learned how to turn off system restore, which magically gave him the space he needed.

Hyster
10-14-2008, 21:55

there are ways to remove up to 10 gigs of shit on your computer
System Restore is the main then u got hibernation mode.

you dont need to be so rude

Beorg
10-14-2008, 22:03
As high-priced and overrated as I've heard these are, just a few minutes skimming over Dell's website led me to this. (http://www.alienware.com/products/aurora-desktop.aspx?SysCode=PC-AURORA-R5&SubCode=SKU-DELL&source=DLL0007) As childish as it sounds, I would buy this thing for looks alone.

Hyster
10-14-2008, 22:07
alienware the perfect overpriced computers.
Somedays you just need to spend 3,000$ for 1299$ worth of hardware

stalwart
10-14-2008, 22:10
C Drive: 1.83G Available Space, with 31.6G total
D Drive: 869MB Available Space, with 5.57G total

Does that answer your question?

wtf?

Nasty
10-14-2008, 22:12
I hear mages won wotlk already.

Slypieguy
10-14-2008, 22:13
Beorg here, and as sad as it may seem, I do still play World of Warcraft.

Stopped reading after that

Duncandun
10-14-2008, 22:13
Beorg, go to control panel, on the left side click on 'show classic view'.

go to system -> system restore tab.

take a screenshot and upload it for me.

Mippoose
10-14-2008, 22:16
Did you say some guy is trying to sell you a computer with a 1gb hard drive??

ahahahahahahahaha!!

[Malice]Bronson
10-14-2008, 22:17
Why hasn't anyone asked how he'd even be playing WoW on an 8 year old system? If he only has 8 gigs of Hard Drive space, his mobo/cpu obviously wouldn't be able to handle a gfx card capable of running WoW, nor enough memory.....

wake up people

Hyster
10-14-2008, 22:19
Bronson;1809883']Why hasn't anyone asked how he'd even be playing WoW on an 8 year old system? If he only has 8 gigs of Hard Drive space, his mobo/cpu obviously wouldn't be able to handle a gfx card capable of running WoW, nor enough memory.....

wake up people

thou's links were ment for his next computer as for WoW i thought a toster could run it?