PDA

View Full Version : Politics: How to Pass an Unpassable Bill

Shane
10-01-2008, 22:14
This lovely little $700 Billion spending bill cannot go through the Senate First. The Senate is not allowed to generate spending bills. It has to go through the Representatives first.

Unless they attach it to another completely unrelated bill.

So the Senate will take a bill that is fantastic and everyone adores, riddle it with this $700 billion bill, and the House will have to approve it or risk looking like a bunch of cowards who are "pro-terrorism" or "anti-safety" or some other blasphemy.

Dirty politics will pass this bill, just like invading Iraq. Just like wiretapping our phones. Just like creating secret prisons. Just like torture.

This is getting ridiculous. Our government is a bunch of thieves and cowards.

WhySoSerious
10-01-2008, 22:18
This lovely little $700 Billion spending bill cannot go through the Senate First. The Senate is not allowed to generate spending bills. It has to go through the Representatives first.

So the Senate will take a bill that is fantastic and everyone adores, riddle it with this $700 billion bill, and the House will have to approve it or risk looking like a bunch of cowards who are "pro-terrorism" or "anti-safety" or some other blasphemy.

Dirty politics will pass this bill, just like invading Iraq. Just like wiretapping our phones. Just like creating secret prisons. Just like torture.

I liked it back then whenever we had a problem with the politicians, we rioted and threw boston tea parties.

Those were the days...

tallefred
10-01-2008, 22:19
Ok. Let's take our guns while we still have them and go siege the White House.

Elemancer
10-01-2008, 22:49

I have faith in my representative that she will stand strong!
:ohno:

FermentedLies
10-01-2008, 22:51
You know, I wish people would realize that it's not just the government that's wrong with this country, or one bill, or the lack of it. The whole country's just fucking itself over and people complain about single issues like it makes a difference...why?

Falokis
10-01-2008, 22:56
You know, I wish people would realize that it's not just the government that's wrong with this country, or one bill, or the lack of it. The whole country's just fucking itself over and people complain about single issues like it makes a difference...why?You can only take one step at a time.

Kekshorts
10-01-2008, 23:00
You can only take one step at a time.
You CAN take one step at a time, it's not necessary, you could just as well throw yourself down the staircase (revolution). Only pussies take it safe and walk.

Jackhowitzer
10-02-2008, 01:02
I liked it back then whenever we had a problem with the politicians, we rioted and threw boston tea parties.

Those were the days...

Or we had a cane fight.

Sigh.. time to become a Witcher..

Baralis
10-02-2008, 01:08
You know, I wish people would realize that it's not just the government that's wrong with this country, or one bill, or the lack of it. The whole country's just fucking itself over and people complain about single issues like it makes a difference...why?

Aye, they cant put out the fire due to the flames.

We are always after the end result while leaving the foundation alone.

Zeaph
10-02-2008, 01:11
Americans are being conditioned to be more submissive, I Mean look at our fat lazy asses!!

FermentedLies
10-02-2008, 01:37
We are always after the end result while leaving the foundation alone.

Wisdom on Forumfall?

Lethn
10-02-2008, 01:45
Hopefully this time if idiots do try to pass it the people will get so angry they'll be forced to stop things before they even start, that's what I'm hoping for anyway.

Byggin
10-02-2008, 01:48
Wait wait wait..... whats wrong with torture?

Xtra-Medium
10-02-2008, 01:57
if enough people are angry enough it will never pass, if it does then it looks like we aint even a democracy

Bratus
10-02-2008, 02:09
and warren buffet will rejoice at all your free money his 8 billion investing into the failing banking industry will shoot up to 12 billion in no time

Byggin
10-02-2008, 02:10
if enough people are angry enough it will never pass, if it does then it looks like we aint even a democracy

We are not a democracy at all, if we were this vote would never pass, but as a republic we elect people to represent us and can vote however they want (we just hope they will vote the same as the majority of who they represent).

Baralis
10-02-2008, 02:13
We are not a democracy at all, if we were this vote would never pass, but as a republic we elect people to represent us and can vote however they want (we just hope they will vote the same as the majority of who they represent).

And once they are elected into office we always find they have thier own agenda.

Ammon777
10-02-2008, 02:21
I blame the Scientologists mainly because they are the ones that get so very pissed off when anyone places a shred of blame upon them for anything at all. That makes it so fun.

FUCK YOU SCIENTOLOGY !!! :cool:

edit -- I expect to get this post censored by Scientologist high-ups very soon.

PrimalSign
10-02-2008, 02:34
FUCK YOU SCIENTOLOGY !!! :cool:

Wrong thread?

losinglife
10-02-2008, 05:27
ha i just like how the bill went from 3 pages up to 450 pages last i heard. Wich means by now its well over 1k pages.

Hilarious all the stuff they are cramming in there to get it passed.

Lictor
10-02-2008, 08:54

Be careful, what you say. It might be (have been) fulfilled...

Well, now comes the interesting part for you showing me, how you take guns and change the un-democratic government. Wait, i'll fetch my popcorn...

ha i just like how the bill went from 3 pages up to 450 pages last i heard. Wich means by now its well over 1k pages.

Hilarious all the stuff they are cramming in there to get it passed.

The same stuff has been done with European Constitution lately -- when they wanted to pass this document in national referendums -- it has about thousand(s) of pages, you literally have to study it for months, to understand it completely and it's obviously some lawyer trick to pass some very un-democratic changes. It didn't pass in French and Dutch national referendums, but it's gonna be back. They (those in power) always make this kind of bills pass. They will change the title, will add content (as OP suggested), will wait months, years, will advertise it and bribe for it, will ultimately kill or start a war to make it pass. The bottom line is, our democratic governments are an illusion. They are less democratic than a Russian one, i tell you. They are controlled by powerful corporations, bankers, lobbing groups and other scum. They give a shit about your opinion and as long as you believe, they do, you're their dupe.

Shane
10-02-2008, 17:25
it has about thousand(s) of pages, you literally have to study it for months, to understand it completely and it's obviously some lawyer trick to pass some very un-democratic changes.

If we had the Read the Bills Act, Write the Laws Act and the One Subject at a Time act, these bullshit agendas wouldn't be passed in America or in the EU.

Here's some links:

Read The Bills Act (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Read_the_Bills_Act) (link to bill (http://www.downsizedc.org/rtba_legislation.shtml) @ 5 pages)

Write The Laws Act (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Write_the_Laws_Act) (link to bill (http://www.downsizedc.org/wtla_legislation.shtml) @ 3-4 pages)

One Subject at a Time Act (http://www.downsizedc.org/etp/campaigns/83) (link to bill (http://www.downsizedc.org/osta-legislation.shtml) @ 5 pages)

We need these to get America and Europe back in the hands of their citizens and out of the hands of the Elite.

[LoD] EE
10-02-2008, 20:30
Wrong thread?

You should write this down on a post it note and attach what I am about to say to your monitor.

"There is never a wrong time to bash Scientology or any other cult"

kordoyn
10-02-2008, 20:32
EE;1765021']

"There is never a wrong time to bash Scientology or any other cult"

Like Christianity and Judaism?

alhazred
10-02-2008, 21:14

i 2nd that ammendment hehe a pun and also support

alhazred
10-02-2008, 21:15
Like Christianity and Judaism?

wow those are different wizards and gods are better than 747's droping souls in volcanos

alhazred
10-02-2008, 21:18
If we had the Read the Bills Act, Write the Laws Act and the One Subject at a Time act, these bullshit agendas wouldn't be passed in America or in the EU.

Here's some links:

Read The Bills Act (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Read_the_Bills_Act) (link to bill (http://www.downsizedc.org/rtba_legislation.shtml) @ 5 pages)

Write The Laws Act (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Write_the_Laws_Act) (link to bill (http://www.downsizedc.org/wtla_legislation.shtml) @ 3-4 pages)

One Subject at a Time Act (http://www.downsizedc.org/etp/campaigns/83) (link to bill (http://www.downsizedc.org/osta-legislation.shtml) @ 5 pages)

We need these to get America and Europe back in the hands of their citizens and out of the hands of the Elite.

well idk about europe but who in the us is up for 2nd ammendmenting that into law

(*sigh i wish thomas jefferson were here*)

Lictor
10-02-2008, 22:28
well idk about europe but who in the us is up for 2nd ammendmenting that into law

(*sigh i wish thomas jefferson were here*)

The law and right is there, what will you do with it?

Delthayre
10-02-2008, 23:03
Whether the Senate could pass such a bill is a seemingly unresolved question of constitutional law. The relevant part of the constitution is Article I, ยง7, clause 1, which reads:

All bills for raising revenue shall originate in the House of Representatives; but the Senate may propose or concur with amendments as on other Bills.

The Senate inteprets this to mean only that it cannot initiate legislation newly imposing or altering taxes and fees, whereas the House of Representatives inteprets it as forbidding the Senate from initiating appropriations bills as well. I tend to prefer the Senate's intepretation, but I am not a constitutional scholar. That the Senate passed the Paulson Plan in the form of an amendment does rather obviously seem like an attempt to avoid any arguments over matters of jurisdiction.

I see that the old Forumfall canards of wantonly vilifying politicians, demanding violent revolt and invoking democracy (and in a way the one about it being a republic, not a democracy) are out in force. I think that its all ill-informed and silly. I have yet to see anyone ever call for revolt with even a hint of sensibility and realism. As it stands, I cannot see why one would expect it to have consequences other than numerous fruitless deaths and the imposition of new, more repressive public security measures.