PDA

View Full Version : Gaming: Shadowbane free or pay to play?

Valdsator
09-07-2008, 00:21
So I've become a little interested in Shadowbane because a lot of people say it used to be or is somewhat like Darkfall...except worse. (Well...I assume that it's like Darkfall.) I have never played UO and I will not try it because all I've been hearing is, "UO has been turned into a carebear game!" or, "UO was ruined!" (More the fact that I have to pay to play it.)

So I got a little interested in Shadowbane (Even though I pretty much heard the same things about it as UO.) and I'm really confused about if it's free or not. One review said that you download the trial and then just play...is that true? Do you just buy the game from a store and never pay again? (I have never seen Shadowbane in stores so I doubt it.) Or, do you buy the game and then pay to play. I also doubt that...the BUY NOW OMG button sends me to a page that "does not exist." If it's free to play fully, I am so trying it. :3

Thanks in advance...and sorry if I got some information wrong. (Like that UO sucks now...)

ClownFoot
09-07-2008, 00:22
Shadowbane is 100% free. For a good reason too.

shnedit
09-07-2008, 00:22
My account is still free to play, I think.

Barbarossa
09-07-2008, 00:23
Go stick your head back in the sand, we'll tell you when Darkfall releases.

slugy
09-07-2008, 00:23
i played again for a while, but sacked it off quickly. its had its day.

Hyster
09-07-2008, 00:25
its been free for a few years i think

Valdsator
09-07-2008, 00:28
Heh cool, I'll give it a try. Thanks!

Villa
09-07-2008, 00:30
It's free.
I've played it since nearly the start when it actually cost money.
I have to say that it is now probably a more frustrating affair even though it costs nothing to play.

Slaker
09-07-2008, 01:11
Have fun....

IfosRUFF
09-07-2008, 04:04
I'm thinking of trying out shadowbane also... But I'm not sure what server to join...

Also, I saw a vid that shows a dude transforming into a rat, what's that about? are there other things to transform into? And how do I do it?

And can you guys tell me why you all think SB sucks now? And is there anything good about it now?

Gloomrender
09-07-2008, 06:11
Don't listen to these guys. Shadowbane is a blast. You'll learn how to do things in just a few days and then get into awsome fights and have lots and lots of fun so go ahead join up the gaem is awsome n u can fight other pplz n stuff looooolll so go do it now .

MatDemon
09-07-2008, 06:54
Don't listen to the above.

Shadowbane was fun, briefly, the first few months it was released. Even then it was dated due to it's multi-year delay.

Now a days I'm surprised they don't pay you to play it. Cause there is no way I can play that horrid game.

I believe it's aged worse than any other MMO on the market. It does feature a few things that Darkfall looks to implement, mainly sieges, but to be honest you'd get a better experience playing a popular free UO server if you want to get a more close-to-Darkfall experience.

That being said I won't bash Shadowbane too bad. It WAS somewhat good. Just isn't now and hasn't been for a number of years. Anyway. It did feature a very deep character skill-set system where planning and thought came into making a good build. It also featured some unique races and classes which I wish more MMORPGs would feature. It gets old seeing the typical elves, dwarves, and humans who can be paladins, wizards, and warriors. Shadowbane offered cool things like Warlocks (real ones, not WoW crap), Huntresses, Templar Knights, Furies, and Assassins.

It actually sounds cool if you go read the forums - but if you are new to the game it's going to be very very hard to get used to the poor UI, poorer movement/camera system, and even worse graphics. Even as an old player, I can't touch it after not playing for a handful of years. I tried. I failed. But hey, that's me.

GFH_Spike
09-07-2008, 06:57
Shadowbane has superior PvP combat in comparison to other MMORPGs currently on the market. Bear in mind, however, that its glory days have long since passed, and it is no longer as heavily populated. You will find fights and they will be thrilling, but it's difficult to remain excited as a veteran who has played to crush since the beginning.

If you're a total newbie to the game and enjoy organized PvP combat, I can highly recommend giving Shadowbane a chance, but only on the condition that you put in the effort to find a fucking guild. If you don't, you're going to wander around, die two dozen times, log off forever, and cry to us.

facerip
09-07-2008, 07:55
Post your name and play times here so those of us who still play on occasion can help you out. Summon you and give you items and the such :)

Valdsator
09-07-2008, 16:11
One more question, is there any place to download Shadowbane besides Fileplanet? To make an account, you need to put in a lot of information (Sorta.) and I'm pretty sure my dad wouldn't like that. Maybe I can use a friend's account if there isn't.