PDA

View Full Version : Google Chrome

Heartnet~
09-02-2008, 20:16
:ohno:

It's so fast. Is this the end for firefox and IE?
4chan came up like 10x as fast as it usually does; that's like under 2 minutes >.>

Agge
09-02-2008, 20:17
... What?

Forgin
09-02-2008, 20:18
Repost

Maver
09-02-2008, 20:18
This browser is indeed incredibly super awesome.

Niles
09-02-2008, 20:19
I'm confused, the poll does not make any sense. :(

Agge
09-02-2008, 20:20
yes, no or some other shitty browser when ie is just fine anyways, soo why bother?

TubeSock
09-02-2008, 20:21
I'm confused, the poll does not make any sense. :(

It does to a 4channer.

Fluffington
09-02-2008, 20:23
yes, no or some other shitty browser when ie is just fine anyways, soo why bother?

IE is the most popular, so more people exploit security flaws. It makes it easier for the bad guys, if you don't stop them they will win the internet.

Forgin
09-02-2008, 20:25
I'm not gonna bother getting that if it's 10x times as fast as my Firefox is right now. 10x faster than instant is still instant right?

Agge
09-02-2008, 20:25
IE is the most popular, so more people exploit security flaws. It makes it easier for the bad guys, if you don't stop them they will win the internet.

To lazy to care.

WW3? Yawn.

Arkh
09-02-2008, 20:26
No noscript addon. No firebug addon. It sux.

ClownFoot
09-02-2008, 20:29
I have absolutely no idea what the fuck you guys are talking about. Is it a new edition of google or something? Why are you talking about browsers? I feel out of the loop.

Forgin
09-02-2008, 20:30
I have absolutely no idea what the fuck you guys are talking about. Is it a new edition of google or something? Why are you talking about browsers? I feel out of the loop.

It is a browser made by google, and it's OVER 9000!!! times faster than other browsers.

Weeking
09-02-2008, 20:51
No CustomizeGoogle addon to stop Google spying on me with cookies and crap. :(

Killersos
09-02-2008, 20:54
Safari is amazing! You PC Losers are nubs :)

Vertigo Vain
09-02-2008, 20:57
Very good. Very fast and slim. Still not as comfortable as Opera, but if they copy some Opera interface feutures like mause gestures in it - difinetly a browser i gona use.

Edited:

"Doom for Firefox and IE..."? You ever tryed Opera?

Scully
09-02-2008, 20:58
Firefox is gonna be 2x times faster after the next update, or so they say.

willithesm
09-02-2008, 20:59
Oppppeeera!

Phooey
09-02-2008, 21:22
I'm way to hooked on firefox and its plugins to care about Google's new browser.

omnigol
09-02-2008, 21:24
I'm way to hooked on firefox and its plugins to care about Google's new browser.

Yea adblock I need it.

Scully
09-02-2008, 21:24
Yea adblock I need it.

NoScript ftw.

Nexus
09-02-2008, 21:27
I have yet to hear a good arguement to switch from IE to anything else.

Its not like you can uninstall IE anyway, so just go with it.

Heartnet~
09-02-2008, 21:29

Its not like you can uninstall IE anyway, so just go with it.You could try it out and make your own opinions. It is free.

Titus Ultor
09-02-2008, 21:30
IE will pretty much always be the de facto browser, and Firefox has enough momentum among people who are computer-savvy enough to survive a browser change to protect itself from Google, just like it has from Opera.

I've tried to get into Opera several times, and I always just end up back on Firefox. Maybe if I was forced to use a computer with only Opera or this Google shit on it for a week I'd use 'em instead, but until then I like my Firefox and all my customizations.

Metal Wolf
09-02-2008, 21:30
How about where is my fucking linux version? Douchebags.

I will switch from Konqueror if chrome has a cd ripper and burner plugin for it as well as a better file browser.

Phooey
09-02-2008, 21:31
No Linux or OS X versions? Fail. Shame on Google.

Arkh
09-02-2008, 21:58
No CustomizeGoogle addon to stop Google spying on me with cookies and crap. :(
Firefox, noscript addon. Just never allow javascript for google.

Arkh
09-02-2008, 22:01

Its not like you can uninstall IE anyway, so just go with it.
There's no IE on any other OS than windows.
A good argument ? Noscript. With it, you won't see any google adsense, flash ad, or any annoying thing if you don't allow it.

Viranth
09-02-2008, 22:03
Don't know the market shares of the browsers, but I've used Opera for a while, and find it better than the others on most areas.

iza
09-02-2008, 23:12
Though I'm hooked on firefox extensions, and have been using it since pre-1.0, I think I'm gonna switch to chrome for good. It's lacking a few features I'll miss, but nothing essential. The separate processes for each tab/plugin architecture is too good to pass up.

Simmy
09-02-2008, 23:18
I've always used IE, not because its better or anything but because I'm just way to lazy to switch to any other browser. I've tried both Firefox and Safari, and I liked Firefox, just not enough to get it for myself. I hated Safari.

So I'll proly try it on one of my friend's computers since at least one of them will get it.

Brett
09-03-2008, 03:21
i just installed google chrome. i approve. it has (or appears to) all of the functionality that firefox has, it imported all of my settings easily, and it runs smooth.

i'm not sure about them using my browsing habits for data-mining, but they probably are.

it's definitely a good program, though.

Weeking
09-03-2008, 03:42
i just installed google chrome. i approve. it has (or appears to) all of the functionality that firefox has, it imported all of my settings easily, and it runs smooth.

i'm not sure about them using my browsing habits for data-mining, but they probably are.

*It doesn't download the right language installer sometimes if you have the CustomizeGoogle addon f ex and change the language. And the help page is only linked to from the site you come to when you uninstall, not when you install. You can however change it after install.

*It has a nasty tendency do mess up password fields if you click in the field and worse, change the saved password if you do that I think.

*You can't drag bookmarks windows or bookmarks to the toolbar like in FF.

*Trouble/impossible getting the right webpage bookmarked in cybernations f ex.

*Disables the scrolling function you have by clicking the mouse wheel.

*No addons.

*No suggestions for the spellchecker.

iza
09-03-2008, 03:43

It's fully open-source though, so any data-mining will be publicized.

trichlor
09-03-2008, 03:53
I am perfectly happy with Firefox and all it's addons. And like someone said already, 10x faster than instant is still instant.

Plus I don't like what they're doing already what with that Google Taskbar BS. IMO, they've got their fingers in enough pies.

Lachrymose
09-03-2008, 03:55
:ohno:

It's so fast. Is this the end for firefox and IE?
4chan

i stopped reading here.

Sbrafk
09-03-2008, 04:04
Opera is more sensitive to bad HTML and CSS, but besides some fucked up pages its been a darling to me.

zz123
09-03-2008, 05:22
I love it! Firefox is dead for me. I had to install ton of addons to get minimalism I see now with Chrome. +It's a lot faster than ff.

verboten
09-03-2008, 05:30
I have been a Firefox fan for quite some time, I would miss my favorite extensions. I did give Google Chrome an honest attempt. I find the interface to be aesthetically unpleasant in appearance, though the speed is amazing. I imagine in time add-ons to Google Chrome will come available. I feel that I need to try it further before I make a final judgment.

kehmesis
09-03-2008, 05:32
I can't live without mouse gestures.

Otherwise I'd give it a shot.

losinglife
09-03-2008, 05:34
Don't know the market shares of the browsers, but I've used Opera for a while, and find it better than the others on most areas.

WTF did you become mod powered?

Doon
09-03-2008, 05:38
safari is best.

tallefred
09-03-2008, 05:47
I like Firefox myself, but for some reason my pc hates the new version, so any time I try to download anything it shuts down the browser. I'm back on Opera now, only thing I miss is my spell checker but wth, I'll live.

kehmesis
09-03-2008, 05:57
Ok I've tried Chrome and it's fuckin' awesome. Seriously. The moment they add mouse gesture in, it'll be my main browser, if not the only one I'll use.

But without mouse gestures... I dunno. What the fuck are they thinking?

Selzi
09-03-2008, 05:58
I am currently using it right now. I was surprised that it actually did seem to speed up page loading (I do have a slow connection so it was noticeable). However, any browser without AdBlock Plus doesn't feel like a browser worth having.

Also, I just hit tab+enter and it didn't submit the message -_-
That's how I post in Firefox!

Edit: Interestingly enough the comic (http://www.google.com/googlebooks/chrome/) wasn't lying when it says it uses more RAM usually but less RAM overall or something like that. Just by itself it took up the most memory of anything I was running, about 10k Kb more than Firefox. But when I opened 15 tabs at once in both, Chrome's memory usage stayed the same while Firefox's skyrocketed by 100k Kb.

Leonon
09-03-2008, 07:27
It'll just be like every other Google product. Either the other companies will incorporate its features in their products quickly and Crome will fall by the wayside or they will be trounced by Chrome.

GFH_Spike
09-03-2008, 07:34
Like others, I need my mouse gestures. Aside from that complaint, it's a sleek, highly efficient browser and a total speed demon. I can see myself switching from Opera once the features are beefed up.

Batarjal
09-03-2008, 16:09
It's fully open-source though, so any data-mining will be publicized.

"Google Chrome is built with open source code from Chromium."
"Chromium is the open-source project behind Google Chrome."
"You can get Chromium's source code and contribute to the project."

Google Chrome is not open source, it just uses some open source code.
Enough room to implement whatever they want.

Mippoose
09-03-2008, 16:38
The Internet will be googles in a few years.

You best be humble and accept this wonderful gift from our benevolent future dictators.

I still use FF2.

Resist!

But google mail is.... Lovely.

Nehemia
09-03-2008, 17:29
I didn't bother to use Firefox, but man, Chrome just rocks. This shit also checks your spelling, a god damn grammar Nazi browser.

Selzi
09-03-2008, 17:55
Alright now it's starting to make me angry.

If you submit a form and then try to go back to do it again (like doing a search) it displays a white page and a warning so you have to hit Refresh before it'll show you the page again. Very annoying when you're trying to do 20 searches again and again which I always am.

Also, it's randomly downloading image files rather than just displaying them.

slugy
09-03-2008, 18:06
i may try it, if i can be bothered.

kehmesis
09-03-2008, 18:12
I didn't bother to use Firefox, but man, Chrome just rocks. This shit also checks your spelling, a god damn grammar Nazi browser.

Well, Firefox has been doing this for a long time...

kingpin
09-03-2008, 18:16
i have all 3 icons in my toolbar. IE took 4 seconds to load, firefox about 6 and chrome less than 2.

so this makes me believe that chrome will dominate this field also, like everything else google put it's hands to.

Ostehapz
09-21-2008, 15:47
Firefox 3.1 will speed up Javascript, so it might be faster than Chrome..:p

Ferox
09-21-2008, 15:57
im on google chrome now. I had heard of it before but didn't bother to even try it out until this thread. It is pretty good so far.

wowsa0
09-21-2008, 16:00
The best thing about chrome is its lack of toolbars. I just have a few small buttons and an address bar at the top and the rest of my widescreen is filled with the webpage. The spelling checker and auto-corrector is quite cool to and the speed is amazing. Only downsides that I have experienced is that I had to reinstall Java to get applets working and when testing out some java servlets that I developed, the view source button displays the source of sending a get request to the java servlet, rather than the source you got back from your post request. I ended up debugging it in firefox where it automatically highlighted the error in the code in red.

Ferox
09-21-2008, 16:04
found out one thing I don't like already...

although it does save the links to the tabs that were open before the program got shut down, it doesn't auto open the tabs like firefox does.

so far I'd say its definitely comparable with firefox... guess I just have to get use to its different layout.

Tzacharu
09-21-2008, 17:32
Is it really that fast? I was going to download it, but does it come with the all-important spellcheck?

Knocky
09-21-2008, 17:34
g00gle Chrome, bringing you popup ads and spyware at the speed of light.

No thank you.

Thoric
09-21-2008, 17:41
Shit, that thing is fast.:eek: But it's butt ugly.

endt itz gramar natzi bruwser. :( Wel, hau du iu liek dat, herr Chrom?!

Dwhap
09-21-2008, 18:00
Chrome has a LONG way to go if its going to compete with IE. The main issue is compatability. Hell, the Google Earth plug-in doesn't even work with it (which is pretty sad when you think about it..)

iza
09-21-2008, 18:15
found out one thing I don't like already...

although it does save the links to the tabs that were open before the program got shut down, it doesn't auto open the tabs like firefox does.

so far I'd say its definitely comparable with firefox... guess I just have to get use to its different layout.
Tools menu > Options > Basics Tab > On Startup - Restore the pages that were last opened.