PDA

View Full Version : Has anybody else noticed how hilariously racist Star Wars: Episode 1 is?

Marrik
08-30-2008, 17:48
i was just watching it again the other day, when it dawned on me how much veiled racism there is.

for instance, you remember the trade federation aliens? you know, the ones with the huge, almond shaped eyes, that are all like 'Oooooooooh, yor forgiva-ness, prease!"? lol, i cant believe i never noticed before, but they are obviously racist charicatures of japanese guys.

and Jar Jar is a chraicature of a black guy, hes got huge lips and hes the white jedi's servant, and hes all like "Meesa sorry, massa Qui-gon!" "Meesa do nothing!" and hes always fucking up and being stupid and awkward and hes got a goofy walk.

theres even a middle eastern guy, remember Watto? the junk yard alien, whos all gross and fat and has 5 o'clock shadow and a huge nose, and is all "Aaaaaaaaaaaaay welcome to my shop, do you want to buy somesing? eeeeeeeeeh?"

MattMystrieo
08-30-2008, 17:48
Yea! And Darth Vader!

Aranin
08-30-2008, 17:50
LOL this never really dawned on me till now

losinglife
08-30-2008, 17:51
old news. That made a huge stink when the movies first came out. It was all over the place how each race resembled a actual nation/race of people.

ClownFoot
08-30-2008, 17:52
Anyone who didn't realize that Jar Jar was just there for the racism is stupid. Trade Federation and the shop keeper are new for me though. I didn't notice those.

[LoD] EE
08-30-2008, 17:54
i was just watching it again the other day, when it dawned on me how much veiled racism there is.

for instance, you remember the trade federation aliens? you know, the ones with the huge, almond shaped eyes, that are all like 'Oooooooooh, yor forgiva-ness, prease!"? lol, i cant believe i never noticed before, but they are obviously racist charicatures of japanese guys.

and Jar Jar is a chraicature of a black guy, hes got huge lips and hes the white jedi's servant, and hes all like "Meesa sorry, massa Qui-gon!" "Meesa do nothing!" and hes always fucking up and being stupid and awkward and hes got a goofy walk.

theres even a middle eastern guy, remember Watto? the junk yard alien, whos all gross and fat and has 5 o'clock shadow and a huge nose, and is all "Aaaaaaaaaaaaay welcome to my shop, do you want to buy somesing? eeeeeeeeeh?"

2002 is asking where you were (http://www.screaming-penguin.com/node/4859)

Fro
08-30-2008, 17:54
Holy shit you're right! I'm going to call up ma homies and we're going to march.

Khumash-Gor
08-30-2008, 17:55
meh it was a stupid movie anyways. totally failed as a star wars installment imo

BladeSLicer
08-30-2008, 18:02
The humans were clearly modeled after white people, and they ruled the galaxy. Jar jar was part of a species getting kicked around by the humans. Watto is some guy who migrated and opened a shop to find a better life...

Honestly, this isn't so much racist as it is an accurate recreation of our world.

Killuminati
08-30-2008, 18:02
meh it was a stupid movie anyways. totally failed as a star wars installment imo

Amen, episodes 1-3 are such crap sub-par movies when you consider how great episodes 4-6 are. Too bad Lucas is a dumbass who thinks otherwise. CGI whore!

Slypieguy
08-30-2008, 18:05
Racism is no laughing matter

Unless it's funny racism

m0j0mann
08-30-2008, 18:09
"Those sand people walk like men, but they're vicious, mindless, monsters"
Star Wars Episode 2 - Attack of the Clones.

Released in 2002. Fucking 2002. Fucking bigots.

But the movie had Yoda using a goshdang lightsaber, so that made up for it.

Al.Capwn
08-30-2008, 18:18
u know why this is funny? ALL of the star wars movies were terrible. Terrible acting, terrible writing, terrible plot.

Incanam
08-30-2008, 18:18
What about Mace Windu. Don't mess with Samuel L. Jackson.

Anyway, I think the movies deserve a little more credit. Besides the medi-chlorian garbage, story was pretty decent (though not really all that exciting in Episode 1) Lightsaber combat definitely improved. True Acting was bad, but other stuff made up for it.

One of those is not Jar-Jar however.

Marrik
08-30-2008, 18:23
watching it again and realizing how blatantly racist Jar Jar was, i actually thought he was really funny. lol, the trade federation guys too for that matter. "Ageeehn you cum befow us, yor highness..."

and yeah, the lightsabers were really awesome in episode 1, and in episode 2 also because of Yoda fighting. episode 3 was shitty though.

m0j0mann
08-30-2008, 18:26
u know why this is funny? ALL of the star wars movies were terrible. Terrible acting, terrible writing, terrible plot.

and yeah, the lightsabers were really awesome in episode 1, and in episode 2 also because of Yoda fighting. episode 3 was shitty though.

The fuck? Racism aside, Star Wars is a kickass series, and Ep3 was a kickass finish. Obi Wan vs Anakin = Epic. Order 66 = Epic. Yoda vs Palpatine = fucking epic.

And Al.Capwn, you only just joined today, you're not allowed to be in OT dammit!

Arkh
08-30-2008, 18:29
Maybe, to see the racism and the star wars race / human skin color relation, you have to be a racist.

m0j0mann
08-30-2008, 18:31
Maybe, to see the racism and the star wars race / human skin color relation, you have to be a racist.

I'm not sure about the Jar Jar/Trade federation stuff, but the "Sand People" thing has been glaringly obvious to me for a while now.

Marrik
08-30-2008, 18:32
im not racist, its just so obvious, the trade federation guys have big almond shaped eyes and they talk like japanese stereotypes. lol, go watch the first 15 minutes of episode 1 and tell me you dont see it.

Vertigo Vain
08-30-2008, 18:36
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_GY8o-qAb08

Killuminati
08-30-2008, 18:40

LOL, its true though

[LoD] EE
08-30-2008, 18:40
And Al.Capwn, you only just joined today, you're not allowed to be in OT dammit!

I have to agree.

Desperado[1G]
08-30-2008, 18:41
The fuck? Racism aside, Star Wars is a kickass series, and Ep3 was a kickass finish. Obi Wan vs Anakin = Epic. Order 66 = Epic. Yoda vs Palpatine = fucking epic.

No way. I think EP1 was alright, but I can't get over how cheesy the dialogue was, and how bad the acting was in EP2 and 3.

Marrik
08-30-2008, 18:44
the midi chlorian thing was weird though, i thought all jedi were supposed to be able to tell whenever somebody else had force powers.

remember "The force is STRONG with this one!"?

[LoD] EE
08-30-2008, 18:46
the midi chlorian thing was weird though, i thought all jedi were supposed to be able to tell whenever somebody else had force powers.

remember "The force is STRONG with this one!"?

Its like Gaydar but with the force. I am sure they will find some sort of gadachlorian with some more tests.

Killuminati
08-30-2008, 18:49
EE;1606511']Its like Gaydar but with the force. I am sure they will find some sort of gadachlorian with some more tests.

Lol, nice sig :p

chimp
08-30-2008, 18:50
If the trade fed. guys were saying "HARRO? HARRO 2 DARRAR, PREASE 2 DARRAR" then id be moar inclined to agree with you.

[LoD] EE
08-30-2008, 18:51
Lol, nice sig :p

Thanks, I had no choice after this thread.

Im not racist, I just dont think Gary Colman should be running for president.

Killuminati
08-30-2008, 18:52
EE;1606540']Thanks, I had no choice after this thread.

Im not racist, I just dont think Gary Colman should be running for president.

[LoD] EE
08-30-2008, 18:53

Yeah, thats why I made my second comment :D

Damwa
08-30-2008, 19:33
Holy shit you're right! I'm going to call up ma homies and we're going to march.

Homies don't march. Homies RIOT!

... busta!

Damwa
08-30-2008, 19:40
On a different note; I enjoyed the Star Wars movies - all of them.
That being said; they *all* have banal dialog etc., some people just seem to forget that they were much younger when they watched the first three installments.. ;)

Dazarthas
08-30-2008, 19:43
[lol, episode 1 is racist]

Somehow, this bit of common knowledge escaped you until now?

m0j0mann
08-30-2008, 19:45
You know your a forumfall celebrity when people start parodying your sig. :D

;1606475']No way. I think EP1 was alright, but I can't get over how cheesy the dialogue was, and how bad the acting was in EP2 and 3.

The padme-Anakin stuff in Ep2 was horribly done, granted, but Star Wars has never been about the acting, it's been about the epicness, and the general story.

Lindorn
08-30-2008, 19:49
That's wild. Never thought about any of this before.

Damwa
08-30-2008, 19:50
You know your a forumfall celebrity when people start parodying your sig. :D

The padme-Anakin stuff in Ep2 was horribly done, granted, but Star Wars has never been about the acting, it's been about the epicness, and the general story.

Actually, I found that the Padme-Anakin stuff was pretty accurate and one of the few dialog segments that seemed to have some realism; even if unintended.
Have you ever listened to how people schmooze when they are in love and young? Yes, the dialog is cheesy; love is cheesy.. *shrugs*

Wickfield
08-30-2008, 19:51
EE;1606045']
2002 is asking where you were (http://www.screaming-penguin.com/node/4859)

Didn't the movie come out in 99/2000?

Anyway, I remember seeing a madtv spoof on this at some point.

[LoD] EE
08-30-2008, 20:00
Didn't the movie come out in 99/2000?

Anyway, I remember seeing a madtv spoof on this at some point.

Its been so long hehe. Hell, I remember HBO's first movie ever shown on Cable, Star Wars.

Grimskeggr
08-30-2008, 20:04
I remember a lot of whining about this in 1999 when the movie released.

Man, people sure were a bunch of crying, bitching, bleeding-heart infant-babies back in the 90s.

Youknowho
08-30-2008, 20:07

Lord of the Rings wasn't exactly kind to asians as well.

Wickfield
08-30-2008, 20:07
I remember a lot of whining about this in 1999 when the movie released.

Man, people sure were a bunch of crying, bitching, bleeding-heart infant-babies back in the 90s.

Also, MC hammer.

Tzacharu
08-30-2008, 20:11
I noticed the racism concerning the sand people and Jar Jar but the others not really. I thought they were all well done, although I prefer 4-6 over 1-3. The lightsaber duels in 1-3 beat 4-6 hands down though.