PDA

View Full Version : Intel's 'Larrabee' to Shakeup AMD, Nvidia

Aragoni
08-27-2008, 21:18
Intel strikes back? (http://www.tomshardware.com/news/intel-larrabee-idf,6210.html)

Tiarilir
08-27-2008, 21:21
No. AMD for life.

Aragoni
08-27-2008, 21:28
No. AMD for life.

I like AMD after they bought ATI. 4870 pwns. Intel will pwn 'em after this though (I guess). :p

SkullPizza
08-27-2008, 21:59
No. AMD for life.

Brand loyalty is the stupidest fucking retarded fanboi bullshit I have ever heard of.

don't be a fucking moron, buy whatever is the best deal or the highest quality or whatever ratio of the two suits your purposes regardless of brand.

Jangang
08-27-2008, 22:04
Brand loyalty is the stupidest fucking retarded fanboi bullshit I have ever heard of.

don't be a fucking moron, buy whatever is the best deal or the highest quality or whatever ratio of the two suits your purposes regardless of brand.

Its not quite that simple...

For instance many people stick with Nvidia because they are better at making drivers that work. They may be able to get a better card from ATI, but simply don't want the headache of making it work.

(Again, that's just an example, I personally have never had any major issues w/ ATI drivers. Well once, but it was't that hard of a fix and it was a long time ago.)

Sometimes brand loyalty isn't about price, or performance, but ease of use.

Slypieguy
08-27-2008, 22:14
I hope it fails miserably and AMD noms more marketshare

Lethn
08-27-2008, 22:17

I second this, I pretty much do it with games, if they don't give me quality I tell them to fuck off and go elsewhere, though more extremely I'll advise people to boycott the companies if they do some really nasty scam artist stuff.

Slypieguy
08-27-2008, 22:18
I'm not loyal, I just unfortunately own a lot of AMD stock

shnedit
08-27-2008, 22:19
I'm not loyal, I just unfortunately own a lot of AMD stock

sell sell sell.

Slypieguy
08-27-2008, 22:23
sell sell sell.

No way, there are bullish stories coming out for the first time in a long time. One firm even upgraded to a $10 target. Also, they kicked Hector's ass to the curb and the next ship cycle is supposed to favor AMD. I think if there is any time not to sell, it's now.

Red Morgan
08-27-2008, 22:29
Now's probably the best time to buy some AMD stock. I think they're going to have a big upswing very soon.

Barbarossa
08-27-2008, 22:38

I third this.

I go with whatever gives the best performance, fuck the price.

GeForce 8800GT happened to be best price and performance when I bought it.

Also, last two ATI cards I bought before the 8800, one fried in 6 months, the other likes to keep turning the screen faggoty shades of pink.

Beeblebrox
08-27-2008, 22:38
I really don't care about which company comes out on top, I just want to see that ray-tracing in a game.

Leeroy
08-27-2008, 22:40
Intel strikes back? (http://www.tomshardware.com/news/intel-larrabee-idf,6210.html)

Good for them.

No, I could not resist. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wg1BqGReqqU)

Voodoo Hoodoo
08-28-2008, 03:39
Now's probably the best time to buy some AMD stock. I think they're going to have a big upswing very soon.

Sorry Red, but I bet you 20 gold in Darkfall that AMD will get absolutely crunched when Intel release their Nehalem processor.

Granted, stock value isn't just a direct correlation to market share, but AMD is about to get seriously pushed into the background.

Want to take me up on the bet?

Uzik
08-28-2008, 03:53
My one PC is a 4800 X2 AMD and the other is a Q6600.

Unless AMD gets its shit in order, my next CPU will be intell as well.

Surly
08-28-2008, 04:24
I hope it fails miserably and AMD noms more marketshare
This marks the first time I've seen "nom" used as a verb. I like it!

This thread is delicious, I intend to nom it.

Surly
08-28-2008, 04:31
Sorry Red, but I bet you 20 gold in Darkfall that AMD will get absolutely crunched when Intel release their Nehalem processor.

Granted, stock value isn't just a direct correlation to market share, but AMD is about to get seriously pushed into the background.

Want to take me up on the bet?
After reading about 6 hours worth of articles, previews and analyses of the Nehalem processors today I am not convinced that it is anything near being revolutionary or close to the same step up that Core 2 processors were. Westmere, having 6 native cores, if released instead (not that it could conceivably be ready, I don't think) might have that potential, but we're not really talking about another quantum leap in processor power with these things. Haswell looks like the next truly radical change in processors coming from Intel, to me.

All estimates for the Nehalem, if you just care about raw numbers, are around 20% increases to overall performance over the previous architecture. That's just about par for the course as far as moore's law is concerned.

I have no fuckin' clue if AMD is even making a new architecture though... I guess they could get "left behind" if they, like, don't do anything at all. Nehalem just doesn't pose all that big of a threat performance wise.

Slypieguy
08-28-2008, 05:57
It's not about having the fastest chip, it's about having a good enough chip and competitive price. Everything I have read suggests that AMD's chips will be better in the next cycle anyway though.

Mippoose
08-28-2008, 06:06
No. AMD for life.

I have always had a soft spot for ATI.

AMD was good.

But their current processor selection is atrocious and not even comparible to Intels line up.

AMD is doing awesome with puma for notebooks offering great integrated performance.

But if larrabee is a success AMD will face a hard time in the puma-like area.

As for graphics... It is weird right now. With ATI finally being on top with the 4870X2 for a single card set up who knows what will happen.

Intels past graphics suck though... GMA 900 anyone? ewwww...

losinglife
08-28-2008, 06:18
I pretty much stick to AMD due to the cheapness of upgrades/quality over time.

However i really dont like ATI, not that it matters all THAT much but i could in the future make me switch to Intel.

Leonon
08-28-2008, 07:31
I like AMD but have decided to disguise my fanboyism by not upgrading until they're on top anyway.

Don't like ATI though, tried to tough it out with their software before. Don't really care for Nvidia due to their unskippable advertisements standing between me and my games either though, but at least their software is user friendly.