PDA

View Full Version : Gaming computer specs

hezakwik
08-25-2008, 19:16
I am considering buying a new computer for gaming. I don't really understand any of the video card, meghurtz, ram or any stuff like that, so would someone tell me what the best stuff I can get is for a gaming computer and explain what it is does?

Like whats better, quad processor or duo? and what does that even mean?

Spineless_DoO
08-25-2008, 19:19
Your price range is a must before anyone can help you. What titles you like to play does not hurt either. Are you a FPS or an MMO gamer ect..

hezakwik
08-25-2008, 19:24
Your price range is a must before anyone can help you. What titles you like to play does not hurt either. Are you a FPS or an MMO gamer ect..

You can start by explaining to me what the purpose of everything is, what it does, how it helps etc. Then I'll do the research on my own.

Jangang
08-25-2008, 19:29
No.

This ain't a one stop all encompassing computer school...

If you want advice on what to get, put down a price range. If you want to be taught about computers, go to school or find a forum dedicated to computers.

hezakwik
08-25-2008, 19:31
No.

This ain't a one stop all encompassing computer school...

If you want advice on what to get, put down a price range. If you want to be taught about computers, go to school or find a forum dedicated to computers.

I'm not asking for a full course in computers, just a simple summary of what different components do so I can figure out the rest myself

Daccus
08-25-2008, 19:32
You can start by explaining to me what the purpose of everything is, what it does, how it helps etc. Then I'll do the research on my own.

www.google.com (http://www.google.com)

This should have all your answers. If you're just going to do the research on your own anyway, why the hell do you need us? We don't have the time to go through and explain how every component and chip works in a PC.

Corpse
08-25-2008, 19:33
I'm not asking for a full course in computers, just a simple summary of what different components do so I can figure out the rest myself

Come on man, simple as this:

Www.google.com Search:
what does ramz do.
what doez deh megahurtz do
and so on..

Red Morgan
08-25-2008, 19:36
There's a big debate over quad vs dual core processors, but most people think dual cores are more bang for your buck when it comes to gaming. So, for example, an E8400 Dual Core is comparable in price to a Q6600. While the latter has 4 cores, you're lucky if a game even uses two of them. The E8400 has 3 ghz cores, and the Q6600 has 2.4 ghz cores. So while the quad has more cores, they're individually less powerful at the same price point, as the dual core.

RAM and a graphics cards are very important, so don't cut any corners there.

Spineless_DoO
08-25-2008, 19:39

You dont build a computer based on that type of info. You build it for the work you want it to do. In todays market most of those numbers are not a factor as each key brand has its own performance differences at the same ##s. You build a system today based on your display, software you are going to use, and your price range.

The first key questions are in this order:

1) How much are you going to spend
2) What workload aka games or other things do you need the machine to do well
3) What size of display and what resolution do you want? I recomend 1680x1050ish at 22inches as its easy on the pocket and does not require top of the line hardware to run on high detail.

If you cant answer those questions then you have to resort to benchmarks. Even then some setups dont get along well. Its best to just answer the above 3.

hezakwik
08-25-2008, 19:46
You dont build a computer based on that type of info. You build it for the work you want it to do. In todays market most of those numbers are not a factor as each key brand has its own performance differences at the same ##s. You build a system today based on your display, software you are going to use, and your price range.

The first key questions are in this order:

1) How much are you going to spend
2) What workload aka games or other things do you need the machine to do well
3) What size of display and what resolution do you want? I recomend 1680x1050ish at 22inches as its easy on the pocket and does not require top of the line hardware to run on high detail.

If you cant answer those questions then you have to resort to benchmarks. Even then some setups dont get along well. Its best to just answer the above 3.

1. $1500 tops
2. MMOs assassin's creed
3. your recommendation

epicor
08-25-2008, 19:49
1. $1500 tops
2. MMOs assassin's creed
3. your recommendation

if you wanna try n build it you can make a BEAST with 1500. its not hard, but get a friend whos done it to help first.

2. assassins creed can look GORGEOUS if you can max it out. You want a 512 vid card for sure.
3. doesnt really matter, thats just his preference. what kind of monitor are you going to be using? size?

Jangang
08-25-2008, 19:51
Next question.

Are you comfortable putting everything together yourself? (most everything only plugs in where it goes.) Or do you want it ready to go when you get it?

Edit:
As said, you can build a really nice system for that. Though if you want it prebuilt it won't be so nice hehe. :)

hezakwik
08-25-2008, 19:53
if you wanna try n build it you can make a BEAST with 1500. its not hard, but get a friend whos done it to help first.

2. assassins creed can look GORGEOUS if you can max it out. You want a 512 vid card for sure.
3. doesnt really matter, thats just his preference. what kind of monitor are you going to be using? size?

If I don't know any friends who have done it, how can I start out?

3. nothing really big, just something standard but not crappy.

hezakwik
08-25-2008, 19:54
Next question.

Are you comfortable putting everything together yourself? (most everything only plugs in where it goes.) Or do you want it ready to go when you get it?

Edit:
As said, you can build a really nice system for that. Though if you want it prebuilt it won't be so nice hehe. :)

You know how I can start doing that?

epicor
08-25-2008, 20:00
when i started i just did a little research to make sure i got parts that matched what i wanted. For example you dont want to get a socket 775 CPU and a socket M mobo (mother board). So really your best bet is to google cpu assembly tutorials then go to newegg and start looking around. You will start seeing the peices match up socket for socket and port for port.

sockets/GHz = CPUs
PCIe = video cards (also older cards = AGP)
RAM = MBs (though really you will be getting GBs, probably 2x 1BG would be good start)
harddrive = GBs (storage capacity, also get a 7200rpm sata drive)

everything else is tertiary (printers, speakers etc)

Daccus
08-25-2008, 20:08
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2JTFBCbd04Q

This is a pretty good guide for your first time. Pretty much all computers are going to be built this way. It's a good place to start.

Aegon
08-25-2008, 20:13
UGH. The original poster told all you stupid trolls everything you need to know to help him! Stupid noobs!!! The poster isn't the noob. You people are. Ignorant douchefags.

Anyway the Hertz is essentially the speed. Duo will work fine for any game out. Get at least 2 gigahertz, I would go for 3 gigahertz or more.

Try to get at least 2 gigabytes of ram as well. I recommend getting 4.

I try to get an at least 256 megabyte video card if not 512. ATI brand over NVIDIA since they seem to perform better overall I think.

All ram is not made equal. Some ram is faster than others. Ask some professional to choose you ram that is powerful, but very fast as well. Because no matter how fast your processor is it doesn't matter too much if your ram is slow.

I'm not expert, but theres some basic info

stalwart
08-25-2008, 20:14

Www.google.com (http://Www.google.com) Search:
what does ramz do.
and so on..

can has mega-hurts plz?

god, i rolled laughing when i read that. "what doez deh megahurtz do"

Spineless_DoO
08-25-2008, 20:18
Qty. Product Description Savings Total Price
1 Antec Nine Hundred Black Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case - Retail
Item #: N82E16811129021
Return Policy: Limited 30-Day Return Policy -$40.00 Instant

$139.99
$99.99
1 Seagate Barracuda ES.2 ST3500320NS 500GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive - OEM
Item #: N82E16822148294
Return Policy: Limited 30-Day Return Policy
$99.99
1 SAMSUNG 2253BW Black 22" 2ms(GTG) DVI Widescreen LCD Monitor - Retail
Item #: N82E16824001268
Return Policy: [LCD] Limited Non-Refundable 30-Day Return Policy -$30.00 Instant

$20.00 Mail-in Rebate
$299.99
$269.99
1 SAPPHIRE 100247L Radeon HD 4870 512MB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFire Supported Video Card - Retail
Item #: N82E16814102769
Return Policy: Standard Return Policy -$5.00 Instant

$20.00 Mail-in Rebate
$279.99
$274.99
1 Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty Professional 70SB088600002 7.1 Channels PCI Express Interface Sound Card - Retail
Item #: N82E16829102019
Return Policy: Standard Return Policy -$10.00 Instant

$139.99
$129.99
1 Antec TPQ-850 850W ATX12V / EPS12V NVIDIA SLI Ready ATI CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Modular Cabling Active PFC Power Supply - Retail
Item #: N82E16817371009
Return Policy: Limited 30-Day Return Policy -$110.00 Instant

$249.99
$139.99
1 G.SKILL 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 1066 (PC2 8500) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model F2-8500CL5D-4GBPK - Retail
Item #: N82E16820231166
Return Policy: Memory (Modules, USB) Return Policy -$40.00 Instant

$144.99
$104.99
1 ASUS P5Q Pro LGA 775 Intel P45 ATX Intel Motherboard - Retail
Item #: N82E16813131299
Return Policy: Limited 30-Day Return Policy
$139.99
1 Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 Wolfdale 3.0GHz LGA 775 65W Dual-Core Processor Model BX80570E8400 - Retail
Item #: N82E16819115037
Return Policy: Processors (CPUs) Return Policy
$169.99
1 Microsoft Windows Vista Home Premium SP1 64-bit English for System Builders 1pk DSP OEI DVD - OEM
Item #: N82E16832116488
Return Policy: Software Return Policy -$10.00 Instant

$109.99
$99.99
1 ARCTIC COOLING Freezer 7 Pro 92mm CPU Cooler - Retail
Item #: N82E16835186134
Return Policy: Standard Return Policy
$24.99
Subtotal: $1,554.89
Calculate Shipping
Zip Code: FedEx Express SaverFedEx 2DayFedEx Standard OvernightAPO/FPO-Military ONLYFedEx International Economy-PR ONLYUPS Guaranteed 3 Day ServiceUPS 2nd DayUPS Next Day Saver Shipping: $0.00

Redeem Gift Certificates
Claim Code:
Security Code:

Gift Certificates: $0.00
Apply Promo Code
Promo Code: $0.00

No Payment until September 2009 with your Newegg Preferred Account
Grand Total:* $1,554.89

Uzik
08-25-2008, 20:20
Building a PC is easy. It may seem a little scary at first, but after your first time you'll wonder why you never did it before.

If you are going to buy one, get a Dell. They are the best at exploiting cheap labor and illegal distribution deals, so their prices are low. Also, I think they have some PCs designed for gamers now.

Off the top of my head, I would say this for building your own:

Q6600 processor
9800 x2 video card
ASUS motherboard
4 GB RAM (whatever is the cheapest and fastest for ur MOBO)
Soundblaster sound card
cooler master case
1000w power supply
500gb hard drive

That is really it. You can get that for like $1000.

Spineless_DoO
08-25-2008, 20:22
UGH. The original poster told all you stupid trolls everything you need to know to help him! Stupid noobs!!! The poster isn't the noob. You people are. Ignorant douchefags.

Anyway the Hertz is essentially the speed. Duo will work fine for any game out. Get at least 2 gigahertz, I would go for 3 gigahertz or more.

Try to get at least 2 gigabytes of ram as well. I recommend getting 4.

I try to get an at least 256 megabyte video card if not 512. ATI brand over NVIDIA since they seem to perform better overall I think.

All ram is not made equal. Some ram is faster than others. Ask some professional to choose you ram that is powerful, but very fast as well. Because no matter how fast your processor is it doesn't matter too much if your ram is slow.

I'm not expert, but theres some basic info

512+ is a must for vram. 4gb for vista systems is a min. There is no point in buying or building an xp system atm. 64 bit Vista ftw and future proofing. Your ram speed is dependant on your motherboard and CPU reqs. You dont pick your ramp speed its layed out for you via compatability.

Ruyan
08-25-2008, 20:31
Q6600 processor
9800 x2 video card
ASUS motherboard
4 GB RAM (whatever is the cheapest and fastest for ur MOBO)
Soundblaster sound card
cooler master case
1000w power supply
500gb hard drive

That is really it. You can get that for like $1000.

Cut the quad, this is supposed to be a gaming rig. Get yourself a C2D @ 3 GHz for the same money. E8400 or whatever it's called...
Asus isn't teh rulerz.
1000W power supply is like buying a porsche when you hit 50.
500 gb hdd ... get yourself a velociraptor and some tb hdd for storage if got the green for it.

hezakwik
08-25-2008, 20:38
Cut the quad, this is supposed to be a gaming rig. Get yourself a C2D @ 3 GHz for the same money. E8400 or whatever it's called...
Asus isn't teh rulerz.
1000W power supply is like buying a porsche when you hit 50.
500 gb hdd ... get yourself a velociraptor and some tb hdd for storage if got the green for it.

Buying a Porsche when you hit 50? not sure what that is supposed to mean, what the hell is a velociraptor, what is tb, and what is hdd. Assume I don't know what any of this means, and your assumption would be accurate.

epicor
08-25-2008, 20:44
Buying a Porsche when you hit 50? not sure what that is supposed to mean, what the hell is a velociraptor, what is tb, and what is hdd. Assume I don't know what any of this means, and your assumption would be accurate.

he effing with you. hdd is the only real accronym in there. hard disk drive.

hes saying you dont need a 1000watt psu (power supply) Which is true you probably dont, but it never hurts to be able to expland the system power wise later. FYI - faster/more RAM, drives, double CPUs etc eat more power (watts) therefore more wattage on your PSU (power supply) is good for havina more complex system. personally i have a 500watt in my desktop and it runs everything i need fine.

Ruyan
08-25-2008, 20:48

Velociraptor (http://www.wdc.com/en/products/products.asp?DriveID=459)

tb = terabyte (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Byte)

hdd (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hard_disk_drive)

and you'll get the porsche thing in time

epicor
08-25-2008, 20:52
Velociraptor (http://www.wdc.com/de/products/products.asp?DriveID=459)

ko, my bad, he wasnt messing with you, i just didnt get there Tb ref. Ive never needed that much storage space so i dont see it that often. and i seriously doubt he will be rolling 1kGB anytime soon. the only people who use those on home PCs are uber-pirates who download stuff just cause they can.

hezakwik
08-25-2008, 20:52
Velociraptor (http://www.wdc.com/de/products/products.asp?DriveID=459)

one problem wih the velociraptor, I don't speak german or whatever they are

Ruyan
08-25-2008, 20:56
that's why there's a language select dropdown menu...

sorry, didn't notice it (http://www.wdc.com/en/products/products.asp?DriveID=459)

hezakwik
08-25-2008, 20:56
is there a way to tell whether things are compatible or not when building my own, or do i just have to look it up?

Daccus
08-25-2008, 20:58
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822136260

Do most of your shopping at newegg.com. They have the best prices on a lot of shit. Personally, I don't see the point in spending $300 on a hard drive for added speed, when that money can be put to better use elsewhere. Spend $100 on a good sized hdd and spend the $200 that's left over on a second video card for XFire or SLI.

epicor
08-25-2008, 20:59
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822136260

Do most of your shopping at newegg.com. They have the best prices on a lot of shit. Personally, I don't see the point in spending $300 on a hard drive for added speed, when that money can be put to better use elsewhere. Spend $100 on a good sized hdd and spend the $200 that's left over on a second video card for XFire or SLI.

I second that motion. Just get a seagate 500gb sata (7200RPM) drive. It will haul ass, seagate is super reliable and sata is easypeasy to install and fast.

hezakwik
08-25-2008, 21:00
this is all getting really confusing so, would someone just tell me all the parts I need? You don't need to tell me what specific type to get, just the different components I need to put together. That would be great, thanks.

Daccus
08-25-2008, 21:06
this is all getting really confusing so, would someone just tell me all the parts I need? You don't need to tell me what specific type to get, just the different components I need to put together. That would be great, thanks.

Case
Power Supply
Mother board
CPU
RAM
Video Card or 2
Hard drive
DVD ROM Drive
Monitor
Any other peripherals like a mouse, keyboard and/or speakers.

Ruyan
08-25-2008, 21:07
ko, my bad, he wasnt messing with you, i just didnt get there Tb ref. Ive never needed that much storage space so i dont see it that often. and i seriously doubt he will be rolling 1kGB anytime soon. the only people who use those on home PCs are uber-pirates who download stuff just cause they can.

I know, some like to have 1000W power and some 1000GB storage I guess... :)

is there a way to tell whether things are compatible or not when building my own, or do i just have to look it up?

You just have to watch out for some details.

If you buy an Intel CPU, you'll need a motherboard with socket 775 (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Socket_775).
DDR2 (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DDR2) is standard these days, but you can get DDR3 as well (don't!), so you gotta make sure the board supports DDR2.
There are different speeds for the DDR2 RAM, you need to look at this as well. (whatever the board supports)

SATA (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sata) is the HDD connector, all motherboards have these nowadays.

PCIe is the gfx socket. If you want to go SLI (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scalable_Link_Interface), make sure the motherboard has two 16x PCIe sockets.

And if you're not a real music lover, you can look for an Intel HD soundchip on your motherboard and skip the Soundblaster soundcard.

Spineless_DoO
08-25-2008, 21:08

I posted the items right off of newegg in a prev response. Its everything. You could not possibly need anything better then what I listed.

If you do go with a 10k drive like the raptors its gona push your price up about 200$ more. Oh and the Q6600 is not enough any more. Its age is showing.

TBH your best bet as a newb is to just go to:

http://www.ibuypower.com/ibp/store/configurator.aspx?mid=308#header

You will spend the same money as you would on newegg and you dont have to worry about anything.

Daccus
08-25-2008, 21:15
I posted the items right off of newegg in a prev response. Its everything. You could not possibly need anything better then what I listed.

If you do go with a 10k drive like the raptors its gona push your price up about 200$ more. Oh and the Q6600 is not enough any more. Its age is showing.

Spineless is right, what he posted is pretty much everything you could want for your price range. The only changes that can be made are personal preference, having to do with brand. The only thing I might change is the sound card, I don't know very many people that have been happy with Sound Blaster in recent years and this company has been making some great products:
HT OMEGA STRIKER 7.1 Channels 24-bit 96KHz PCI Interface Sound Card (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16829271001) It'll also save you a couple hundred. Which you can use to buy another video card for an XFire config.

Edit: Nevermind, I was looking at his post wrong, the Sound Blaster Titanium is only $139. I'd still go with the Omega Striker.

Ruyan
08-25-2008, 21:22

His list is quite good...
I wouldn't buy anything with the name "Fatal1ty (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fatal1ty)" (the soundcard) on it. Saves you a lot of money!

You could save some more with a different RAM brand as well. (just make sure it's 8500 and has a low latency like 5 or lower.)

And about the HDD ... Sure it's not really a bargain to buy a HDD for 200.-€, but it's the slowest part in your PC and will give you a huge performance bonus!
I'd rather use onboard sound and buy a velociraptor, but it's a matter of taste I guess.

Caffy
08-25-2008, 21:24
Most gamers really don't need a quad core. It's a god send for video makers though. Being able to frap during live gameplay on max settings with no slowdown is awesome.

Barbarossa
08-25-2008, 21:29

You're an extremely arrogant fuck for someone asking for advice.

I'll give you some advice, regardless of your shitty attitude.

Fuck off and die...this is great advice.

I advise you take this advice.

-Havoc-
08-25-2008, 21:32
When it comes to CPUs, make sure it has discount combustor simulation support. If you want a fast harddrive, hyper-storage is a must. For memory, integra-electro technology is reliable, unless if you want blipperz, well that's up to you. I wouldn't be a Fat Albert and pony up on a bronco if you know what I mean, platinum grill what what. Also, slipstream fans, because they're pretty quiet. As for sound, well, Real-Feel is a top contender, and it's what I use, but people have their preference, it depends on the hertz range that you're hearing is able to detect, go to an ear doctor for that. As for video card, anything that can't do tes-rendering and doesn't have flow-max air exhaust is just a waste of time. And finally, your computer case. Make sure it's mako tested, otherwise you will short out all your parts, leaving yourself with a paper weight.

If you have any questions, just let me know. :cool:

hezakwik
08-25-2008, 21:33
Dear Barbarossa,
You must be having a bad day, I was not implying I don't need help, I very much do so, I was trying to make sure I wasn't asking to much of anyone, and judging by the first few replys, they didn't really want to at all, but luckily for me, some started to more.

hezakwik
08-25-2008, 21:37
When it comes to CPUs, make sure it has discount combustor simulation support. If you want a fast harddrive, hyper-storage is a must. For memory, integra-electro technology is reliable, unless if you want blipperz, well that's up to you. I wouldn't be a Fat Albert and pony up on a bronco if you know what I mean, platinum grill what what. Also, slipstream fans, because they're pretty quiet. As for sound, well, Real-Feel is a top contender, and it's what I use, but people have their preference, it depends on the hertz range that you're hearing is able to detect, go to an ear doctor for that. As for video card, anything that can't do tes-rendering and doesn't have flow-max air exhaust is just a waste of time. And finally, your computer case. Make sure it's mako tested, otherwise you will short out all your parts, leaving yourself with a paper weight.

Due to the computer lango quantity in your post, I have many questions, but I'll start with, what is mako tested, from your post it sounds important. and where can I get a good case? newegg? Please also elaborate on tes-rendering and flow-max air exhaust.

edit: Discount combustor simulation support? Hyper storage? integra electro technology? bilpperz?

Daccus
08-25-2008, 21:41

I'm still not convinced that combustor simulation is worth it just yet(price-wise), but you're right in that hyper storage is a must.

Dear Barbarossa,
You must be having a bad day, I was not implying I don't need help, I very much do so, I was trying to make sure I wasn't asking to much of anyone, and judging by the first few replys, they didn't really want to at all, but luckily for me, some started to more.
He's right, the way you came off made you sound like an arrogant fuck. That's why you had so many people bitching at you.

Barbarossa
08-25-2008, 21:43
He's right, the way you came off made you sound like an arrogant fuck. That's why you had so many people bitching at you.

Two is not many.

Look it up on wiki. :rolleyes:

akrippler
08-25-2008, 21:43
Heza putting together a computer is 10x more simple than you could have ever imagined. Pick all your parts post them here, we will tell you if their going to work or not, and suggest shit. 7-10 business days later you put it together (as easy as putting together legos) put your windows CD in and your fucking good to go baby.

Im starting to think the people here are splurting computer mumbo jumbo at you just to antagonize, and confuse you.

Ruyan
08-25-2008, 21:45
Two is not many.

I lol'd

Jangang
08-25-2008, 21:46
This is what I'd buy on your budget.

http://secure.newegg.com/WishList/PublicWishDetail.aspx?WishListNumber=519 5989&WishListTitle=$1400

Comes to $1398 pre shipping.

If you can afford another $150 a Raptor Hard Drive would make it run better. (its a faster drive, but doesn't hold as much).

A second monitor would make it nicer as well, but this is a pretty nice system.

Note, the Ram and Motherboard are a lil wierd. The ram has a fan thing you put on it, which isn't usually the case, and the Motherboard has a fan thing you put on one of the chipset coolers, also not usually the case.

BOTH are great things, and will make the system cooler. BUT being new to building you may want to find someone to help you, or replace those two parts with lesser parts that won't require any tinkering.

hezakwik
08-25-2008, 21:48
This is what I'd buy on your budget.

http://secure.newegg.com/WishList/PublicWishDetail.aspx?WishListNumber=519 5989&WishListTitle=$1400

Comes to $1398 pre shipping.

If you can afford another $150 a Raptor Hard Drive would make it run better. (its a faster drive, but doesn't hold as much).

A second monitor would make it nicer as well, but this is a pretty nice system.

it says this wish list is empty
is nforce or geforce better?

hezakwik
08-25-2008, 21:49
how do you install a system like xp or vista on a custom built computer?

Salaman
08-25-2008, 21:49
nforce is a motherboard chipset built by nvidia. Geforce are the graphics cards built by nvidia. If you pair an nforce motherboard with a geforce graphics card you get a few extra options but it's not worth going out of your way to make it happen.

Daccus
08-25-2008, 21:51
Two is not many.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Many
Many may refer to:

* plural
* A quantifier that can be used with count nouns - often preceded by "as" or "too" or "so" or "that"; amounting to a large but indefinite number; "many temptations"; "a good many"; "many directions"; more than a few, more than several.
* Many, a commune of the Moselle département, in France
* Mány, a village in Hungary
* Many, Louisiana, a town in Louisiana, United States
* The Many, the main antagonist of the computer game System Shock 2

Also, there was three, I win.

Beorg
08-25-2008, 21:51

Geforce, definitely.

Spineless_DoO
08-25-2008, 21:52

You put the disk in the drive after its built and follow the instructions.

Ruyan
08-25-2008, 21:52

Now you're sig makes no sense anymore.

Barbarossa
08-25-2008, 21:54
Dear Barbarossa,
One

I'm still not convinced that combustor simulation is worth it just yet(price-wise), but you're right in that hyper storage is a must.

Two

Yep two.

Also, there was three, I win.

Learn how to count, fuckstick.

hezakwik
08-25-2008, 21:54
Heza putting together a computer is 10x more simple than you could have ever imagined. Pick all your parts post them here, we will tell you if their going to work or not, and suggest shit. 7-10 business days later you put it together (as easy as putting together legos) put your windows CD in and your fucking good to go baby.

Im starting to think the people here are splurting computer mumbo jumbo at you just to antagonize, and confuse you.

the point is, I don't even know what parts I need to do this.

Corpse
08-25-2008, 21:56
the point is, I don't even know what parts I need to do this.

Man hire someone to do this for you.
Do you even know where all the connectors go?

hezakwik
08-25-2008, 21:56
Now you're sig makes no sense anymore.

this is true, but computers are a slight weakness of mine... unfortunately

Daccus
08-25-2008, 21:57

Www.google.com Search:
what does ramz do.
and so on..

You're an extremely arrogant fuck for someone asking for advice.

I'll give you some advice, regardless of your shitty attitude. I probably should have used pitching shit, rather than bitching.

Fuck off and die...this is great advice.

I advise you take this advice.

Two and Three fuckwad.

Barbarossa
08-25-2008, 21:59
Three fuckwad.

I refuse to play the arithmetic game with a profoundly retarded forumfaller.

It's funny and highly amusing but quite unfair.

Now please go watch fucking Sesame Street and maybe you'll learn to count past 2.

Edit: Holy Shit!

I just realized you were fucking with the OP.

LOL I thought you were fucking with me.

My apologies...

Daccus
08-25-2008, 22:00
I should have used the phrase pitching shit, rather than bitching.

zz123
08-25-2008, 22:02
I have 2 questions on this topic:
Is it worth to buy computer with ddr3 ram? Is difference noticeable?
What monitor should I get mainly for games? 22" or 20"? Widescreen or not?

Daccus
08-25-2008, 22:03
Edit: Holy Shit!

I just realized you were fucking with the OP.

LOL I thought you were fucking with me.

My apologies...

lol, np.

Barbarossa
08-25-2008, 22:04

DDR3 is way cheap compared to DDR2.

I have standard 19" ViewSonic LCD monitor with 2ms response time. I fucking love it.

Daccus
08-25-2008, 22:06

The benchmarks I've seen suggest that DDR3 isn't all that much better than DDR2 and it's a hell of a lot more expensive.

Edit: Just checked prices, DDR3 is way down.

epicor
08-25-2008, 22:09
yeah DDR3 is not market friendly yet. Though if you guys remember a few years back when RAMBUS was that hawtness, but was still overpriced everyone went with DDR1. Rambus EASILY was the better product but it hadnt been brought down in price so it failed and went away. Now that DDR3 is being stagnant, there may be a new tech on the horizon to start shifting systems around.

Ruyan
08-25-2008, 22:09
DDR3 has slower latency, stick with DDR2 for now!

edit: rambus was hot!
edit2: epicor, I hope I'm the first to tell you this, but your sig... looks like my ass with flowers instead of hair on it.

zz123
08-25-2008, 22:16
Ok thanx! Still months until I buy anything so maybe things will change, but yeah I will probably go with ddr2.

epicor
08-25-2008, 22:19
DDR3 has slower latency, stick with DDR2 for now!

edit: rambus was hot!
edit2: epicor, I hope I'm the first to tell you this, but your sig... looks like my ass with flowers instead of hair on it.

lol you arent the first person to say that. I think its kinda like a brain teaser thing. You know the one where it asks weather its faces or vases? Depends on how you focus. i would bet money that your focus is general rather than specific. So you kinda see the whole screen all at once.

pyrow
08-25-2008, 22:19
Go to Newegg.com they have the best and cheapest computer stuff. I would try and find a stock computer on there, then look at the specs already on it, then upgrade from there. Really all you'd need from stock is like 1-2GB RAM, 200 dollar or so video card (make sure its compatible), and misc stuff that you might want.. keyboard, mouse, mousepad, headset, ect...

All and all, you can get a decent gaming computer (enough to run DF on medium/high) for about 800 dollars.

P.S Dont get laptops unless its alienware, they arent made for gaming.

example: like this one, comes with everything, might need 1GB more RAM
since vista uses alot (it already has 3GB ... should be enough)
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16883103152

You can get one like that for cheaper, im just saying thats the first one I looked at... and its good.

epicor
08-25-2008, 22:23
P.S Dont get laptops unless its alienware, they arent made for gaming.

Screw that alienware is overpriced. They dont give you anything you cant get somewhere else for $500 cheaper (atleast!) not to mention their customer server SUCKS BALLS! I have a toshiba laptop and i only just started running into problems turning the newest games all the way up.

AmonDominus
08-25-2008, 22:26
Damn, seems I need to upgrade aswell.

Jangang
08-25-2008, 22:26

Works for me, even in a different browser.

Nforce is a chipset on a motherboard, Geforce is a Video Card.

I'll cut n' paste the setup for you though.

-------------
Case and Power supply:

RAIDMAX SMILODON ATX-612WB530P Black 1.0mm SECC Steel ATX Mid Tower Foldout MB Computer Case With 530W Modular LED Power Supply - Retail

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811156209
$109.99
-----------------
Motherboard:

BIOSTAR TPower I45 LGA 775 Intel P45 ATX Intel Motherboard - Retail

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813138118

$149.99
-----------------------
CPU:

Intel Core 2 Duo E8500 Wolfdale 3.16GHz 6MB L2 Cache LGA 775 65W Dual-Core Processor - Retail

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819115036

$189.99
--------
Memory:

CORSAIR DOMINATOR 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 1066 (PC2 8500) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory - Retail

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820145197

$149.00
------------------
Video Card:

POWERCOLOR AX4870 512MD5-PPH Radeon HD 4870 512MB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFire Supported Video Card - Retail
Overclock Edition 800MHz

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814131117

$289.99
--------------
Hard Drive:

Seagate Barracuda 7200.11 ST31000340AS 1TB 7200 RPM 32MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive - OEM

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822148274

$159.99
-----------
DVD Burner:

ASUS Black 20X DVD+R 8X DVD+RW 8X DVD+R DL 20X DVD-R 6X DVD-RW 14X DVD-RAM 16X DVD-ROM 48X CD-R 32X CD-RW 48X CD-ROM 2MB Cache SATA 20X DVD±R DVD Burner with LightScribe - Retail

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16827135156

$36.99
------------
Monitor:

LG L226WTQ-BF Black 22" 2ms GTG Widescreen LCD Monitor 300 cd/m2 3000:1 DCR with HDCP Support - Retail

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824005116

$259.99
-----------------
Keyboard:

Logitech Value 100 Black 104 Normal Keys PS/2 Standard Keyboard - OEM

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16823126015

$6.99
--------------
Mouse:

Logitech MX518 2-Tone 8 Buttons 1 x Wheel USB + PS/2 Wired Optical 1600 dpi Gaming-Grade Mouse - Retail

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16826104178

$39.99
-------------------
Thermal Compound: (Comes w/ CPU, but this is better)

Arctic Silver 5 Thermal Compound - OEM

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835100007

$5.99

I think that was everything. Someone will correct me if I'm wrong though LOL...

Totaled $1398. and change. Not including Shipping...

The video card could be knocked down to a non overclocked one to save some money, or even to a 4850 instead of a 70 to save even more. That might open up enough to get either a second Monitor, or a Raptor Hard Drive. (If you get a raptor you would still get the one I listed, or another for storage as raptars are fast, but don't hold a lot.)

Also I did not include a sound card, i usually just use on board. Spending 1400 though you may want to just throw in a 100 sound card as well, that takes load off the cpu, and is better sounding anyway.

If you added a Raptor, a second monitor, and a sound card without downgrading any of the above you'd be looking at around 1900ish though.

kordoyn
08-25-2008, 22:45
Eh, in regards to the adove.

No biostar mobo, that's for sure.
Are you planning to use that shitjunk of a PSU? lol
G5 mouse > MX518

hezakwik
08-25-2008, 22:45
thanks a ton guys, that helped a lot when deciding what to get, I think I'm going to use ibuypower.com instead of newegg though, I won't have to look up a bunch of tutorials or anything, I'm a lazy bum

Mushushu
08-25-2008, 22:47
you should do this

http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://bp2.blogger.com/_ovJS1Em-6dg/RkXvvXA-biI/AAAAAAAAIDQ/HGSXEhxFbe8/s400/mineral-oil-computer-submerged.jpg&imgrefurl=http://spluch.blogspot.com/2007/05/puget-custom-computers-mineral-oil.html&h=300&w=400&sz=27&hl=en&start=12&um=1&usg=__UXJoGrnTAtqfVwhd4zn0ASgn8iA=&tbnid=N5IT217FlZnuFM:&tbnh=93&tbnw=124&prev=/images%3Fq%3Dwacky%2Bcomputer%26um%3D1%2 6hl%3Den

watch the video they have it looks neat

Jangang
08-25-2008, 22:50
Eh, in regards to the adove.

No biostar mobo, that's for sure.
Are you planning to use that shitjunk of a PSU? lol
G5 mouse > MX518

That motherboard is getting rave reviews, they overclocked an E8400 to 6.0 Ghz stable on the thing. It has a fan cooled chipset as well.

I'm using a biostar at home, not that one, just a cheapo and I have to say it was easy as pie to setup, and its running better then the Asus board I had on my old rig. (Rig had water spilled in it, hense my replacing it.)

I'd always went w/ Asus before but after buying the cheapo to get a home rig going and it working so well I started looking at them more when checking parts.

That is the PSU i got, again I was going for cheap but its working great. Powers everything in my rig fine, and looks good to boot.

He don't need anything more then 530 watts. You could put a 200 1000w ps up there and it'd be wasted.

I personally use a Logitech G9 (I think) wireless. But people don't like wireless, even when the problems are long since gone, and this one has two batteries. So I through up the tried, and true 518. I've never heard anyone say anythign bad about that mouse, and its cheap to boot.

Corpse
08-25-2008, 22:55
you should do this

http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://bp2.blogger.com/_ovJS1Em-6dg/RkXvvXA-biI/AAAAAAAAIDQ/HGSXEhxFbe8/s400/mineral-oil-computer-submerged.jpg&imgrefurl=http://spluch.blogspot.com/2007/05/puget-custom-computers-mineral-oil.html&h=300&w=400&sz=27&hl=en&start=12&um=1&usg=__UXJoGrnTAtqfVwhd4zn0ASgn8iA=&tbnid=N5IT217FlZnuFM:&tbnh=93&tbnw=124&prev=/images%3Fq%3Dwacky%2Bcomputer%26um%3D1%2 6hl%3Den

watch the video they have it looks neat

Gimmie.

epicor
08-25-2008, 23:08
as for the mouse i use microsoft habu and razr deathadder. both are about $50, but they are exceptional mice. they have the fastest response times ive ever seen, glide over any service really well and look beast. the habu has hotkeys on top for on the fly speed switches and the side buttons are on a panel that pops out so you can change the physical button placement!

Titus Ultor
08-25-2008, 23:09
Lol, this guy just needs to select parts from Dell and have them make it. He honestly doesn't know enough about computers to do the selection process (provided he isn't trolling) on his own, so I sincerely doubt he's going to be able to put together a computer without someone holding his hand the whole way through.

hezakwik
08-25-2008, 23:26
Lol, this guy just needs to select parts from Dell and have them make it. He honestly doesn't know enough about computers to do the selection process (provided he isn't trolling) on his own, so I sincerely doubt he's going to be able to put together a computer without someone holding his hand the whole way through.

Yes, this guy, hasn't built a computer and is not a computer nerd, which is why HE decided to use a website that builds the computer you decide the specs on. and next time, try not to insult someone behind their back on a forum, that's just dumb as fuck.

Titus Ultor
08-25-2008, 23:37
Yes, this guy, hasn't built a computer and is not a computer nerd, which is why HE decided to use a website that builds the computer you decide the specs on. and next time, try not to insult someone behind their back on a forum, that's just dumb as fuck.

lol wut.

Obviously a troll, or a 10 year old. Sucky, either way.

Jangang
08-26-2008, 00:46

Would you kindly point out what he said that wasn't true? Or where exactly he insulted you?

pyrow
08-26-2008, 00:50
Screw that alienware is overpriced. They dont give you anything you cant get somewhere else for $500 cheaper (atleast!) not to mention their customer server SUCKS BALLS! I have a toshiba laptop and i only just started running into problems turning the newest games all the way up.

I said laptops arent meant for gaming. Meaning if you're a hardcore gamer, you're going to melt your laptop playing video games. -- its what happened to my other one

Mippoose
08-26-2008, 00:58
If the monitor is included in your price you should look to dro pa decent size penny on it.

For 250-370$ you can get pretty decent 22 and 24" TN panel LCD's. 2-8ms gtg is considered the best for gaming as of now. You would have to drop some more cash on a higher quality panel other than TN though.

With that remaining like 1200$ you could do yourself well.

First off you want to find a case that you like and want to sit on your desk.

Debate the size of the case and the versatility. Whether you want to go with a big sleek and roomy cosmos or something mid sized and cheap like a Centurion. It comes down to usefulness and then looks. Don't get something you will hate to look at.

For hard drives the 640gb WD is considered one of the best buys out there with a fast 7200RPM spin speed and high density data platter. And they have a pretty cool warranty as well.

One of the most important areas of your pc that you don't want to skimp out on is your power supply. the Corsair 550w-750w or PC power and cooling 610w or 750w silencer are all 80%+ rated and extremely reliable. And they have a powerful single 12v rail that will get the juice to your system when it needs it most.

For ram you really can't beat current prices for 4gb ram. Grab some G.Skill off newegg for a solid 80$. (2x2gb 800mhz)

For your CPU there is no reason not to get a quad core at your price range, it wouldn't make sense not to. The only time I would reccomend a dual over a quad is if you really want to spend 130$ or less on a processor. Which would be the highly overclockable E7200. For ~180$ you can grab a G0 stepping Q6600 which is a very nice processor. The higher the price you are willing to go will decide if you could even pop out a Q9300 or not. I recommend the Q6600 though.

For your graphics you can afford something nice and snazzy. If you plan on going wit ha monitor of 1680x1050 or less grab yourself a powerful GTX 260 or 4870 depending on price. If you are going high with your res with a 1920x1200 24" monitor you could consider the GTX 280 or even the 4870X2 , although they are heavy in price.

Go with a motherboard that is't going to pwn the FSB of your processor. If the CPU is 1333mhz get a motherboard with 1333mhz or more. Make sure the socket is compatible with the processor you buy, and that the ram is as well ddr2 vs ddr3.

edit: If you really want a pre-built from dell or a laptop send me a PM and I'll see if I can point you i na decent direction.

Aragoni
08-26-2008, 01:14
When it comes to mouses I now use Cyber Snipa Stinger Gaming Mouse (http://www.tweaknews.net/reviews/cyber_snipa_stinger_gaming_mouse_review/index.php) and I must say that I'm more then pleased with it. Buy either that or MX518.

Mippoose
08-26-2008, 01:24
When it comes to mouses I now use Cyber Snipa Stinger Gaming Mouse (http://www.tweaknews.net/reviews/cyber_snipa_stinger_gaming_mouse_review/index.php) and I must say that I'm more then pleased with it. Buy either that or MX518.

I've had my MX518 for years.

Best mouse ever.

epicor
08-26-2008, 01:24
I said laptops arent meant for gaming. Meaning if you're a hardcore gamer, you're going to melt your laptop playing video games. -- its what happened to my other one

you can just as easily trick out a laptop as a desktop. sli, same mobo ram limits, same hdd interfaces/sizes. only thing you really lose out on is sound, but who doesn't use headsets anyhow?
admittedly, though, its much more expenive

Mushushu
08-27-2008, 03:10
ive been using a old trackball mouse for years now. i dont know about yall but i really like being able to flip around real quick when someone is behind me.