PDA

View Full Version : Is it discriminatory or even racist if...

Villa
08-04-2008, 21:03
...you name your kids with non-regional names from 'back home' and refuse to consider traditional names from the country you've moved to?

Aragoni
08-04-2008, 21:03
No.
Edit: There's no way in hell I'd name my children "Muhammad", "Abdullah", "Ching Chong Lee" or any other (IMO) strange name.

paade
08-04-2008, 21:04
only if you name them 'Ahmed'.

Spk
08-04-2008, 21:05
You name your kids whatever you fucking want. Mine will be called Lucifer.

Villa
08-04-2008, 21:07
Some guys who work at my place feel that this african co-worker is being racist for naming his new child with a Nigerian name.
Apparently, (they say) if he wants to live in the western world, he should act like a westerner and that starts with speaking the language, and includes naming your kids with western names.

Agge
08-04-2008, 21:08
only if you name them 'Ahmed'.

Sad but true.

BladeSLicer
08-04-2008, 21:09
Some guys who work at my place feel that this african co-worker is being racist for naming his new child with a Nigerian name.
Apparently, (they say) if he wants to live in the western world, he should act like a westerner and that starts with speaking the language, and includes naming your kids with western names.

I'm personally of the opinion that people should mind their own gd business when it comes to a parent naming their kid.

Aragoni
08-04-2008, 21:09

Of course you should learn the country's language, it should be one of the requirements to become an ordinary citizen. Not that you should speak it fluently, but knowing basic grammar and stuff like that.
The names... I don't give a shit.

Villa
08-04-2008, 21:10
I'm personally of the opinion that people should mind their own gd business when it comes to a parent naming their kid.
In EVERY case?

Villa
08-04-2008, 21:11
Of course you should learn the country's language, it should be one of the requirements to become an ordinary citizen. Not that you should speak it fluently, but basic grammar and stuff like that.
The names... I don't give a shit.
In this particular case, I think the cause was the inability to pronounce the chosen name.
Started with 'Ade' something something.

shackal
08-04-2008, 21:12

True there
To OP some people are just ignorant. It up the parents and family to name their kid how they like.

Aragoni
08-04-2008, 21:13
In this particular case, I think the cause was the inability to pronounce the chosen name.
Started with 'Ade' something something.

Well then people could just call the person "That black kid".

Eclipso
08-04-2008, 21:14
http://thescotsman.scotsman.com/world/So-would-you--name.4324464.jp

This thread made me think of this story from a few weeks back.

BladeSLicer
08-04-2008, 21:15
In EVERY case?

People of English/Irish/French/Italian/German descent generally stick with their ancestral names. There's just a load of em and we therefore hear those names often and have grown accustomed to them. Names like the one you mentioned are rarely used, as the populace which uses them is rather small in America, and we therefore get all pissy about it.

Personally, I don't mind it at all. Gives me plenty of names to giggle quietly to myself about.

Tiberias

What if a parent wanted to legally name their kid Christ Fucker? Your kid would have to hear it in school all the time. Would that be ok?

Kebek

Seeing how Obama isn't called Running Water I guess he's a racist.

Villa
http://thescotsman.scotsman.com/world/So-would-you--name.4324464.jp

This thread made me think of this story from a few weeks back.
You stole part of my thunder :(
Damn you; damn you to hell sir.

Eclipso
08-04-2008, 21:17
You stole part of my thunder :(
Damn you; damn you to hell sir.

I am a Infidel... we do bad things all the time :ninja:

Indah
08-04-2008, 21:18
I could understand the other people wanting your child named john or bob or whatever if the name you are going to pick can not even be pronouced. I think mostly because when they grow up and are in school. If his name is ackerjaueornmasdows. Then he/she will be mad fun of all day long till he brings a knife/gun/bomb/potatoe cannon to school and goes postal. BUT when it all boils down to it, its your child, name it whatever you want.

But please don't name it after a car make or model. My mom is an art teacher and she has 3 girl students who are all sisters and they are named, Porsche, Infinity, Lexus. I'm dead fucking serious.

Killuminati
08-04-2008, 21:19

Yah, its an ignorant sentiment held by people.

What if a parent wanted to legally name their kid Christ Fucker? Your kid would have to hear it in school all the time. Would that be ok?

yah, because thats highly likely.

Tiberias
08-04-2008, 21:20
yah, because thats highly likely.

I bring it up because I recently read this:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/asia-pacific/7522952.stm

Are all names allowed in America? I really don't know.

Eclipso
08-04-2008, 21:23
It cracks me up the names they allow from that article though

Allowed: Violence; Number 16 Bus Shelter; Midnight Chardonnay; Benson and Hedges (twins)

Blocked: Yeah Detroit; Stallion; Twisty Poi; Keenan Got Lucy; Sex Fruit; Fat Boy; Cinderella Beauty Blossom; Fish and Chips (twins)

I mean come on, naming your twins Benson& Hedges??? LOL ( a Brand of smokes for those who dont know)

I did used to work with a guy called Levi Budwieser though, although he obviously had way to much acid one time and he changed it to that himself.

Darksoul_
08-04-2008, 21:31

agreed with your follow co-workers

umustbemistaken
08-04-2008, 21:37

These folks are ridiculous. You can name your child what ever you want.

My family takes names very seriously we feel that they should be unique and should mean something. Hell if I were to name my kid "bob" or "Jack" I'd get the evil eye constantly from my folks.

I'm just going to say that me and my siblings all have unique names not typical western names and I think that is important. I am not knockin western names by the way.

I'm a Yankee and black/mixed and if I had children with a black or mixed woman I see know problem giving my child an Irish, Italian or some sort of Indian name. What ever catches me and doesn’t sound utterly ridicules to me or my family.

Incanam
08-04-2008, 21:40
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DLTLF68E4XU

This what happens when you name your kids with non-regional western names. Personally, I say the world is a lot funnier this way and death to any nativists who think Western culture is the only good one.

Forgin
08-04-2008, 21:42
I think it's selfish to give your kid a weird or "funny" name, sure the parents may think it's cool or have a laugh over it but you could ruin your kid's life..

Incanam
08-04-2008, 21:43
I think it's selfish to give your kid a weird or "funny" name, sure the parents may think it's cool or have a laugh over it but you could ruin your kid's life..

Builds character. I say we need more kids with funny names.

Forgin
08-04-2008, 21:44
Builds character. I say we need more kids with funny names.

It would be kinda cool if your name was Christ Fucker I guess :P

Villa
08-04-2008, 21:48
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DLTLF68E4XU

This what happens when you name your kids with non-regional western names. Personally, I say the world is a lot funnier this way and death to any nativists who think Western culture is the only good one.

LOL sukhdeep and hardik
Rusell Peters ftw.

Incanam
08-04-2008, 21:54
LOL sukhdeep and hardik
Rusell Peters ftw.

Maybe it's my Indianacity speaking but he is definitely the best stand up comedian.

Phaethor
08-04-2008, 22:02
Where I grew up there are a lot of people with Native American and Central American names.

I knew a kid named "Tommy" but it was really Tomochichi.

He wasn't ashamed of his name.. He just got tired of trying to spell it and pronounce if for the inbred white yokels.

Best,

Phae

Milo Hobgoblin
08-04-2008, 22:05

They are right about that learn the fucking language or get the fuck out..

but he should be able to name is kids what he wants.. your friends are being a little too xenophobic

Gunther TheBlack
08-04-2008, 22:20
...you name your kids with non-regional names from 'back home' and refuse to consider traditional names from the country you've moved to?

Why is it blasphemy to name a teddy bear Mohamed and is it perfectly okay to name your own kid after the epileptic wannabe jesus?

Villa
08-04-2008, 22:34
Why is it blasphemy to name a teddy bear Mohamed and is it perfectly okay to name your own kid after the epileptic wannabe jesus?
Do you mind keeping all your IRRELEVENT frothing Islamaphobic hate confined to one dedicated special thread maybe?

Uzik
08-04-2008, 22:40
Giving your children traditional names usually doesn't help them out with life in the USA.

I would say name them a traditional name, but give them an American nick name. That is probably what I would do. Like I knew a kid name "Neal", but his real name as "Aneillo". And my one friend "Jasphinder", liked to be called "Jaz".

Part of living in America is melting into the pot.

Gunther TheBlack
08-04-2008, 22:45
Do you mind keeping all your IRRELEVENT frothing Islamaphobic hate confined to one dedicated special thread maybe?

Answer the question.

I just want to know. Be glad i just want info this time :)

Incanam
08-04-2008, 22:46

I assume we are talking about America here, so there is freedom of religion and you can name your kid whatever you want. I believe there was a cracked list about that as well. Names of celebrity stars or something.

Gunther TheBlack
08-04-2008, 22:48
I assume we are talking about America here, so there is freedom of religion and you can name your kid whatever you want. I believe there was a cracked list about that as well. Names of celebrity stars or something.

I was talking about islam.

Villa
08-04-2008, 22:52
What is a cracked list?

Incanam
08-04-2008, 23:21
What is a cracked list?

Hehe. www.cracked.com

I assume you've heard of it, but if not, it's just a comedy website, though since there is a post about one of their lists about every two weeks, I think you know.

Edit: Here is the list. Top 20 most bizarre celebrity baby names.
http://www.cracked.com/article_15765_20-most-bizarre-celebrity-baby-names.html

I was talking about islam.
So you were asking in Islam, why it is blasphemous to speak badly about Muhammad, the prophet of Islam, while it isn't so to do so about Jesus, someone with the most tenuous relation to Islam? Pardon me, but that seems like a dumb question with a really obvious answer.

Villa
08-04-2008, 23:33
Hehe. www.cracked.com

I assume you've heard of it, but if not, it's just a comedy website, though since there is a post about one of their lists about every two weeks, I think you know.

Edit: Here is the list. Top 20 most bizarre celebrity baby names.
http://www.cracked.com/article_15765_20-most-bizarre-celebrity-baby-names.html
Thanks; never heard of that site before.

Sage Moonblood wins a prize IMO.

Beeblebrox
08-04-2008, 23:37

You should spank this co-worker of yours with a purple dido. And call him Abayomi while you do it.

Everto
08-04-2008, 23:39
Me and my girlfriend don't really plan on having kids, because we think they'll become gangsters that'll kill everyone and be the exact population of the Earth we hate.

...but if we did, I'm calling it Skye.
and no, this is not a Phoenix Wright name, I had that shit before Phoenix Wright was invented for the GBA.

heroshade
08-05-2008, 00:25

Tell them to shove a vacuum hose up their ass and suck out their intestines.

Kebek
08-05-2008, 00:32
Answer the question.

I just want to know. Be glad i just want info this time

It has nothing to do with being 'more okay'.
There just aren't any buildings being torched over a stuffed animal being called Jesus. If we assume with 'more okay' you mean 'less/no protests or rage' then it's 'more okay' to call a stuffed animal Jesus because people are less offended by it and don't feel a need to protest about it.

I guess people don't consider a stuffed animal called Jesus as being worth becoming furious about.

forestchild
08-05-2008, 00:33

Thats where your co workers are wrong, its not racist at all, they are very narrowminded.

They are the racist.

Spineless_DoO
08-05-2008, 00:36

LOL! Thank you for the chuckle. Sad that its pretty much true according to islamic lit.

Villa
08-05-2008, 00:37
It has nothing to do with being 'more okay'.
There just aren't any buildings being torched over a stuffed animal being called Jesus. If we assume with 'more okay' you mean 'less/no protests or rage' then it's 'more okay' to call a stuffed animal Jesus because people are less offended by it and don't feel a need to protest about it.

I guess people don't consider a stuffed animal called Jesus as being worth becoming furious about.
Advice: don't bother presenting facts to Gunther; they are wasted on him.

Villa
08-05-2008, 00:38
LOL! Thank you for the chuckle. Sad that its pretty much true according to islamic lit.
Link to this literature detailing this?
Thanks for the chuckle at your expense.

Suraknar
08-05-2008, 00:38

No it is not discriminatory.

And anyone expecting you and not approving of that choice is being discriminatory towards you and your kids.

heroshade
08-05-2008, 00:53
SUNDAY SUNDAY SUNDAY!

The Thunderdome double feature is back! First, Villa takes on Gunther theBlack in one on one unarmed combat, then Tiberias, self proclaimed defeater of Kebek, will battle the Yin-alt himself!

You won't want to miss this epic double feature!

Adults get in for $85.37 a peice and children get in free before 6:00 PM

YOU DON'T WANT TO MISS IT!

Kebek
08-05-2008, 00:56
SUNDAY SUNDAY SUNDAY!

The Thunderdome double feature is back! First, Villa takes on Gunther theBlack in one on one unarmed combat, then Tiberias, self proclaimed defeater of Kebek, will battle the Yin-alt himself!

:rolleyes: Who's Yin anyway?

heroshade
08-05-2008, 00:57

All his posts were about "not beaing abl to wallk downe the stretes of america widout beaing shoot at"

Lord Caim
SUNDAY SUNDAY SUNDAY!

Cool, do you take paypal?

Spineless_DoO
Link to this literature detailing this?
Thanks for the chuckle at your expense.

Buy any islamic bible translated into english. Pref one not translated by a westerner. Then you are free to learn Arabic and hit up any of the library type of establisments they hold ear in the mid-east if his own writing is not good enough for you. Better yet move there and go to school. Ask anyone you meet in native speech.

heroshade
08-05-2008, 00:59
Cool, do you take paypal?
Yes

Heres a link (http://forums.darkfallonline.com/showthread.php?t=54657) to his retardation, click at your own risk.

Paralda
08-05-2008, 01:00
In EVERY case?

Of course. Who's business is it but the family's, and the family's alone?

Villa
08-05-2008, 01:02
Buy any islamic bible translated into english. Pref one not translated by a westerner. Then you are free to learn Arabic and hit up any of the library type of establisments they hold ear in the mid-east if his own writing is not good enough for you. Better yet move there and go to school. Ask anyone you meet in native speech.
I've read the Koran.
I failed to spot any of this nonsense you mentioned.

You didn't make it up did you??!!111 :(

Spineless_DoO
08-05-2008, 01:08
You did not read it. If you did then you would NEVER ask anyone to prove what I just said. Try actualy reading the words this time. Not the pictures in your Amazon.com version.

Villa
08-05-2008, 01:13
You did not read it. If you did then you would NEVER ask anyone to prove what I just said. Try actualy reading the words this time. Not the pictures in your Amazon.com version.
I've read it; you clearly haven't.
Anyway, I'm still waiting for you to provide a link to where it states that it is blasphemous to name a teddy that way. You posted your support for this claim, so please show me the information that led you to this conclusion.

Afterall, you aren't one of those people who just knee jerk reacts without getting his facts straight are you?

Kebek
08-05-2008, 01:14
Your ignorance of the world outside your borders is epic however. Could you even locate a China on a map?

Lol, well you can't blame him for his English if he's Chinese.
China wants to return to its former glory but I don't see them nuking the US any time soon. I don't see the link between Yin and myself.

Tiberias
08-05-2008, 01:14
SUNDAY SUNDAY SUNDAY!

Fucking awesome.

anairell
08-05-2008, 01:15
There are so many weird names out there, even if you are western and living in a western country, people choose weird names:
Lilly-Sugarbelle
Jezabelle
Milan(Boy's name)
Tallis
Zali
Calliandra
Ayla
Bonica
Just a short list of some of the weird names in my predominantly Anglo Schools and ballet school where I teach, these children are all Australian born with Australian parents. Its really not anyone's business what you name your child though I do find it tricky havign to learn their names :)

Tiberias
08-05-2008, 01:16
China wants to return to its former glory but I don't see them nuking the US any time soon. I don't see the link between Yin and myself.

Both Yin and you are radically anti-american and froth at the mouth when engaging in forumfall which you both apparently mistake for "serious business."

heroshade
08-05-2008, 01:17

I don't think you are Yin (He was German btw)

Both Yin and you are radically anti-american and froth at the mouth when engaging in forumfall which you both apparently mistake for "serious business."

I do however agree with this.

Tiberias
08-05-2008, 01:20
I don't think you are Yin (He was German btw)

Off-topic: I find it great that Kebek, Forestchild, and Yin are all posting now and none are in a haitus, though Yin has been much much subdued. I only wish Kralk would start posting again. I'd lump Villa in there except he is a master Troll and not even muslim, but just plays one on forumfall and I have a begrudging respect for him because he really gets people riled up.

heroshade
08-05-2008, 01:21
Off-topic: I find it great that Kebek, Forestchild, and Yin are all posting now and none are in a haitus, though Yin has been much much subdued. I only wish Kralk would start posting again. I'd lump Villa in there except he is a master Troll and not even muslim, but just plays one on forumfall and I have a begrudging respect for him because he really gets people riled up.

Hmmmm Kebek, Forestchild, and Yin, all posting at once..... Beta is coming.

Tiberias
08-05-2008, 01:23
Hmmmm Kebek, Forestchild, and Yin, all posting at once..... Beta is coming.

When Kralk appears this shall be a sign unto you: prepare ye therefore for beta!

heroshade
08-05-2008, 01:24
When Kralk appears this shall be a sign unto you: prepare ye therefore for beta!

Lol, watch, in ten minutes Kralk will post a thread saying those exact words.

Kebek
08-05-2008, 01:32

Plenty of people share those traits with me.

I made a topic about the US educational system being quite flawed. In my first post I already stated that I did not intend to insult all Americans, I was just criticizing a failing eductional system. It soon got turned into a US vs Europe war and I said some anti-American things cause I was pissed at the Americans on this forum that kept attacking Europe while my intent was never to start a US vs Europe flame war.

Later I made a topic about thanskgiving and it was considered anti-American as well. If you see me as an anti-American extremist then everything I write is likely to appear anti-American to you. There are plenty of things the US government does that I disagree with but that counts for many governments. If Americans feel offended(while that's not even my intent) because I don't agree with the war in Iraq then that's their problem.

Call me eurofag and I'll call you yank. Say you want to hunt some redskins and flower the crops with their blood but don't blame me for insulting the country that breeds people that make such statements in response to them insulting my race.

heroshade
08-05-2008, 01:37
Plenty of people share those traits with me.

I made a topic about the US educational system being quite flawed. In my first post I already stated that I did not intend to insult all Americans, I was just criticizing a failing eductional system. It soon got turned into a US vs Europe war and I said some anti-American things cause I was pissed at the Americans on this forum that kept attacking Europe while my intent was never to start a US vs Europe flame war.

Later I made a topic about thanskgiving and it was considered anti-American as well. If you see me as an anti-American extremist then everything I write is likely to appear anti-American to you. There are plenty of things the US government does that I disagree with but that counts for many governments. If Americans feel offended(while that's not even my intent) because I don't agree with the war in Iraq then that's their problem.

Call me eurofag and I'll call you yank. Say you want to hunt some redskins and flower the crops with their blood but don't blame me for insulting the country that breeds people that make such statements in response to them insulting my race.

Europe isn't a race.

Kebek
08-05-2008, 01:39
Europe isn't a race.

Native Americans(redskins to some) are a race.
I live in Europe for the time being and converted to Islam 2 years back.
So you must understand my hate for stereotypes.

Tiberias
08-05-2008, 01:39
Europe isn't a race.

WIN!

Vexrak
08-05-2008, 02:12
You name your kids whatever you fucking want. Mine will be called Lucifer.

It's all about Skeletor and Chewbacca baby.

Vexrak
08-05-2008, 02:14

That guy needs to be shot in the fucking throat. The guys at your work place that is. Who the FUCK are they to say what someone can name their child?

Vexrak
08-05-2008, 02:15

You are a fucking toolbag.

Tiberias
08-05-2008, 02:17
You are a fucking toolbag.

Why's that?

Vexrak
08-05-2008, 02:26
Maybe it's my Indianacity speaking but he is definitely the best stand up comedian.

Not even close. Not even in the top 10.

Daniel Tosh would probably be my favorite, but there are several close seconds.

Vexrak
08-05-2008, 02:27
Why's that?

Because you are trying to use outlandish hypothetical examples to justify your being an intolerant borderline racist?

heroshade
08-05-2008, 02:28

Christopher Titus ftw

Also, I'm going to name my kid asdf stfu Haverty

Tiberias
08-05-2008, 02:29
Because you are trying to use outlandish hypothetical examples to justify your being an intolerant borderline racist?

WTF are you talking about, I'm in favor of naming people whatever you want. I brought it up because I read an article, linked later on, about New Zealand limiting legal names. And fuck you for calling me a racist!

Vexrak
08-05-2008, 02:39
WTF are you talking about, I'm in favor of naming people whatever you want. I brought it up because I read an article, linked later on, about New Zealand limiting legal names. And fuck you for calling me a racist!

Sorry i guess i misinterpreted the intent with which you made that comment, but i didn't say you were a racist i just said you were intolerant and borderline racist :D.

I just assumed that you were one of the MANY ridiculous people in the world who try to use bullshit tactics to justify their intolerance/ignorance.

My bad.

Incanam
08-05-2008, 02:56

Meh, it's all opinion.

Behhemoth
08-05-2008, 02:59

Somebody should run those guys over with a semi. He should be able to name his kid Satan if he wanted =\

Desperado[1G]
08-05-2008, 04:01
Jermajesty

Gloomrender
08-05-2008, 04:02
Everything is racist if It's claiming that Muslims are imperfect in any way.

Ganon
08-05-2008, 04:10

ill name my kid "pol pot" "saddam" "pinochet" "adolf" but because im a neonazi nationalist ill name him/her "benito mussolini" all as a name then the surname.

epicor
08-05-2008, 04:14
"Optimus prime, Megatron, come here we gotta have a lil chat. I AM THE COBRA COMMANDER IN THIS HOUSE! DRDRDRDRDR I SAID NO COOKIES!!!"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G366RqJftlE&feature=related

zakariaz
08-05-2008, 04:25
"Optimus prime, Megatron, come here we gotta have a lil chat. I AM THE COBRA COMMANDER IN THIS HOUSE! DRDRDRDRDR I SAID NO COOKIES!!!"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G366RqJftlE&feature=related

Omfg thats hilarious

MinusInnocence
08-05-2008, 04:31
What if a parent wanted to legally name their kid Christ Fucker? Your kid would have to hear it in school all the time. Would that be ok?It wouldn't just be ok. It would be excellent.

Pcheez
08-05-2008, 09:04
If your kid is gonna grow up in the western world, its best to give him a western name.

Traditions and cultures blow.

Im naming my kid something that doesnt give away religion or nationality.

But you can name it whatever the fuck you want, its your sperm.

Kusghuul
08-05-2008, 09:42
In Sweden somebody called their kid Metallica...

zakariaz
08-05-2008, 09:45
Well having non normal names has become alot more accepted in recent years. With the mixture of cultures etc. I view it as a good thing. Kinda annoying to know 15 different people with the same name;)

Pausen
08-05-2008, 09:46
www.youtube.com/watch?v=x9CSnlb-ymA

Pcheez
08-05-2008, 13:34
Well having non normal names has become alot more accepted in recent years. With the mixture of cultures etc. I view it as a good thing. Kinda annoying to know 15 different people with the same name;)

Nah its not.
I like saying a name and 30 people in one room answering.

makes for good comedy.

Kebek
08-05-2008, 14:17
Western names like John and Jack? You mean christian names?

Kusghuul
08-05-2008, 14:31
or Tor, Odin and Balder? Perfectly normal names in Norway, and not really Christian.

Aragoni
08-05-2008, 14:34
or Tor, Odin and Balder? Perfectly normal names in Norway, and not really Christian.

Those names have died out here in Sweden. It's sad. :(

Kusghuul
08-05-2008, 14:45
Those names have died out here in Sweden. It's sad. :(

Hah, what? You've still got Olaf/Olav though!

Aragoni
08-05-2008, 14:55
Hah, what? You've still got Olaf/Olav though!

You barely hear that name around these parts. Mostly old people are named 'Olav', 'Uno', 'Göte', 'Sten', 'Ulf' and names like that.
These days most kids/teenagers are named 'Alexander', 'David', 'Daniel', 'Kim', 'Simon', 'Andreas' Et cetera .

Edit: But I'm going to name my son Tyr or Tor (Swedish for Thor). :)

Kusghuul
08-05-2008, 14:56
You barely hear that name around these parts. Mostly old people are named 'Olav', 'Uno', 'Göte', 'Sten', 'Ulf' and names like that.
These days most kids/teenagers are named 'Alexander', 'David', 'Daniel', 'Kim', 'Simon', 'Andreas' Et cetera .

Never heard Uno or Göte, but we've got Bjørn, Stein, Ragnar, Ulf, Sigurd etc. And Alexander isn't a very Christian name; got Alexander the Great, who definitely wasn't a Christian.

zakariaz
08-05-2008, 15:00
Never heard Uno or Göte, but we've got Bjørn, Stein, Ragnar, Ulf, Sigurd etc. And Alexander isn't a very Christian name; got Alexander the Great, who definitely wasn't a Christian.

Here in Denmark Aske, Ask, Asger has started reappearing along with other of the old names like Thorild, Ragnar, Balder etc seems like they went away for a while and are now starting to come again

Aragoni

Never said that Alexander was a Christian name. Just told you about what people are naming their kids in Sweden nowadays. :p

zakariaz
Nah its not.
I like saying a name and 30 people in one room answering.

makes for good comedy.

It gets old kinda fast trough;)

Kusghuul
08-05-2008, 15:02
Never said that Alexander was a Christian name. Just told you about what people are naming their kids in Sweden nowadays. :p

True;p

But Kebek was on about European names being all-Christian, was aimed at him:)

Aragoni
08-05-2008, 15:05
But Kebek was on about European names being all-Christian

Loads of bull. While Christian names are used often the old names still lives on.

Kusghuul
08-05-2008, 15:07
Loads of bull. While Christian names are used often the old names still lives on.

Yep, which I agree with you on.

Kebek
08-05-2008, 15:19
But Kebek was on about European names being all-Christian

No I wasn't. Don't put words in my mouth. I asked what he meant by western names.