PDA

View Full Version : Gaming: StarCraft

alfaroverall
06-08-2008, 16:57
Anyone play on bnet anymore? I'm not a great player and I hate fastest maps, but I'd be up for a few games if anyone played. Post here or PM me when you're up for a game, if I'm around I'll get back to you and we can play.

Feel free to use this thread to discuss tactics, StarCraft II, etc.

Bravot
06-08-2008, 16:58
I'll play some Warcraft 3 (custom maps) on BNet... maybe Diablo 2 when I am desperate. Never got into SC, unfortunately. I love BNet's interface. It's ultra-intuitive (yeah, I went there).

Spinewire
06-08-2008, 16:59
install wc3 damn you....

I might try and get hold of a copy of Starcraft, anywhere i can d/l it from legally?

Incanam
06-08-2008, 17:01
Belive it or not, I got my first copy of starcraft on wednesday. So I actually have to play first. Maybe in a wekk or two we can play...before then and you'll murder me...probably after then as well.

alfaroverall
06-08-2008, 17:01
I'm not really into WC3, especially since so many people play dota, which isn't even really RTS, it's more like RTT (real time tactics).

If you want to play SC, just go buy it. The battle chest is only $20, and the game is worth every penny.

Spinewire
06-08-2008, 17:03
I'm not really into WC3, especially since so many people play dota, which isn't even really RTS, it's more like RTT (real time tactics).

If you want to play SC, just go buy it. The battle chest is only $20, and the game is worth every penny.
might try and find one, game stores round me are a bit shit...

I don't really play dota, just 1v1 ladder

Bravot
06-08-2008, 17:03

Ugh, DOTA plagues BNet. I'm all about Castle Fight and TD's.

Scully
06-08-2008, 17:05
I still play a little WC3 and D2. Never played Starcraft over bnet though :O

Ugh, DOTA plagues BNet. I'm all about Castle Fight and TD's.

Yeah, DOTA is shit... I enjoy mazes and escapes.

surGeonFFS
06-08-2008, 17:06
Starcraft owns, I play on east under the name surGeonGG. Fastest sucks indeed.

WC3 lol

Spinewire
06-08-2008, 17:08
WC3 lol
shit, we are just not going to get on today...

alfaroverall
06-08-2008, 17:10
Starcraft owns, I play on east under the name surGeonGG. Fastest sucks indeed.

WC3 lol
Good stuff, I play on east (and occasionally west) under the name blindbravado.

Durthalion
06-08-2008, 17:36
Look me up am Durthalion on USEast and Durthalion on ICCUP if any of you are that hardcore...

Quaevo
06-08-2008, 17:36
Yeah, DOTA is shit... I enjoy mazes and escapes.

HEATHEN! you only say that because you suck at it.

My arguments are impressive today..

Helgeran
06-08-2008, 17:39
I wanna play you! I'm Helgeran on US-East. I do suck but even getting owned can be fun in SC. As long as we don't play Hunters or LT I'm happy, those maps are so fucking old.

Paralda
06-08-2008, 19:20
I play WC3 Custom games still (and the occasional normal game). I tried getting back into SC, but everyone who plays on BNET is like a Korean obsessed crazy man.

Bravot
06-08-2008, 19:22
HEATHEN! you only say that because you suck at it.

Actually, that is exactly why I don't play it. I suck at it and people won't teach me HOW to play it. They usually just start cursing and leave the room :( I would look on the forums, but I don't want to have to research the game mode to figure it out (if there is anything else to it except stay alive)... so I don't play it. :(

emasame
06-08-2008, 19:25
yep thats what dota is.
you start feeding early/midgame, everyone leaves, youre pissed, you stop playing.

i can play wc3 and sc ;o...
so hit me up with details via pm if you want.

Ghostpaw
06-08-2008, 19:27
To learn how to play the game I suggest looking up team liquid. They are usually willing to help people out.

Everto
06-08-2008, 19:45
Starcraft is a sport in Korea.

Masumatek
06-08-2008, 20:16
I only play the RISK custom game now. It's hella fun...you should try it.

Helgeran
06-08-2008, 21:45
Actually, that is exactly why I don't play it. I suck at it and people won't teach me HOW to play it. They usually just start cursing and leave the room :( I would look on the forums, but I don't want to have to research the game mode to figure it out (if there is anything else to it except stay alive)... so I don't play it. :(
Download some pro replays and learn from them.

Haart Maystorm
06-08-2008, 21:51
I've been playing for years in USWest. Been in many clans, played many games, though I have always preferred to play a UMS over any other style.

Starcraft is a sport in Korea.

http://www.gomtv.net/classic/

Death's Chill
06-09-2008, 08:19

What is Dota?

Fluffington
06-09-2008, 08:21
What is Dota?

A warcraft 3 custom map, a very good one.

heroshade
06-09-2008, 08:35
I like some use map settings games, like diplomacy or storm the fort. mass attack game is fun too. other than that, I don't play much anymore

squrrilslayer
06-09-2008, 09:39
I've been playing for years in USWest. Been in many clans, played many games, though I have always preferred to play a UMS over any other style.

GOM FTW!
im so sad that no zerg players from those fixtures got through...

Suitepee
06-09-2008, 11:14
Strat:

-Pick Zerg race.
-Build many zerglings.
-Zerg rush?

That still works right? Not that I've ever played Starcraft much. :D

(well unless you come up against that damn Korean player that uses one shooter marine to kill about 30-40 zergs with some tactical movement)

Dredgon
06-09-2008, 11:29
You can't say the word Dota and tactics in the same sentence, or even the same paragraph.

Dota is basically a pimped out version of WoW BG.

Anyways I played WC3 on Northrend as Dredgon and sometimes on East as Dredgon1.
I Mostly play Legends of the second war, footy, AWS 1.48 (Because anything past that is retarded bull shit), SOTDRP and some other random shit I don't really care much about.

alfaroverall
06-09-2008, 14:11
Strat:

-Pick Zerg race.
-Build many zerglings.
-Zerg rush?

That still works right? Not that I've ever played Starcraft much. :D

(well unless you come up against that damn Korean player that uses one shooter marine to kill about 30-40 zergs with some tactical movement)
Depends on the map. In 1v1 on a really small map (that is, 64x64 or 96x96 without a restriction on ground attacks, like Blood Bath) that can work well against low quality players. You need to have your hatchery and your lings macroed though, so that you can type 1 s z and then immediately go back to your lings. Against a decent player or a Protoss player (lings get pwnt in the face by zealots until they have adrenals) that won't work.

You can't say the word Dota and tactics in the same sentence, or even the same paragraph.

Dota is basically a pimped out version of WoW BG.
Well, if you're not managing resources and/or bases, but are managing several units, then it's RTT. Though I haven't played dota so I honestly don't know.

Quaevo
06-09-2008, 15:31

well, you are right, having 1 person on the team that is playing the game for the first time almost always leads to you loosing the game. And therefor people start flaming him, and leaving (if the newbie feeds enough). I was lucky enough to start before the game took off though. Starting now without having a friend to teach you how will be hard.

akrippler
06-09-2008, 16:36
Id be willing to play a few matches sometime, as long as we play a real map none of tthat money newbs bullshit.

scotw1t
06-09-2008, 16:40
Playing Star Craft many years ago was the first time I ever cybered. (Note that it wasn't the last. I was very bored as a teenager)

Thinking back on it, it was actually pretty hilarious. I was pretty young and I was visiting my family in Arizona for Christmas. I was surprised when this person started typing sexy things, and I was young enough to believe that it was legit. Turns out, this probably-guy was just distracting me while he built a huge army and then wiped me out.

So there's a tactic, pretend that you want to cyber, to distract your enemies!

Marx
06-09-2008, 16:54

GSL is a the smallest Korean league, if you wan't to see what it's really about check OSL, MSL and Proleague.
http://youtube.com/user/Jon747
http://teamliquid.net/

To the noobs whining about DotA, 5on5 anytime.

Paralda
06-09-2008, 16:59
DotA bores me... I'd rather play Team Line Tower Wars or Footies.

akrippler
06-09-2008, 18:23
Playing Star Craft many years ago was the first time I ever cybered. (Note that it wasn't the last. I was very bored as a teenager)

Thinking back on it, it was actually pretty hilarious. I was pretty young and I was visiting my family in Arizona for Christmas. I was surprised when this person started typing sexy things, and I was young enough to believe that it was legit. Turns out, this probably-guy was just distracting me while he built a huge army and then wiped me out.

So there's a tactic, pretend that you want to cyber, to distract your enemies!

prolly went to the old famous "gay" channel huh? I went there many a times, nothing got me happier than making fun of a bunch of gay people over the internet.

Nafelos
06-09-2008, 18:33
Dawn of War II > StarCraft II

Corpsefire
06-09-2008, 19:14
man there isnt a SINGLE diablo 2 classic hardcore normal or nightmarre game up, west coast at least >.>

Mippoose
06-09-2008, 19:18

DOTA sucks.

Gotta play good custom maps like...

The Two Towns
Angel Arena X
Stronghold
Fortress Survival
Rabbits VS Sheep
Mini Tank Wars
Hero Line Wars RoC
Poker TD
Multi Missile TD
Gem TD
Paladin TD

To name a VERY few.

Dredgon
06-09-2008, 19:20
Well, if you're not managing resources and/or bases, but are managing several units, then it's RTT. Though I haven't played dota so I honestly don't know.

You're mostly managing 1 hero, but you can buy some mercs.

Agge
06-09-2008, 19:41
Not on Bnet since I lost my cd-case and along with it my cd-key.

I play with some friends over hamachi every now and then though.

Lieal
06-09-2008, 21:49
alfaroverall, I challenge you to dota!!!!!!!!1111

Agge
06-09-2008, 21:51

DotA 1v1 is stupid.

Lethn
06-09-2008, 21:53
I played for awhile but then I got pissed off not at losing but the fact that I'd mine out all the resources I had before I could attack the enemy :(

Helgeran
06-09-2008, 22:08
I'm gonna crush you with my imba SK. He's only good for one thing: Burrowstrike, burrowstrike, burrowstrike; WHERE ARE YOUR THREE REFRESHER ORBS?

Daccus
06-09-2008, 22:08
Starcraft is still an amazing game. My copy is sitting in a box somewhere, I should try and find it.

My all time favorite strategy is with Protoss. I go massive Templars and base defenses and about six Arbiters, then wait till they attack me. Then I Psionic Storm the shit out of their attack force with the Templars, then turn all of my Templars into Arcons. I'll use a couple Templars and cast Hallucination on my Arbiters and send about 12 Arbiters into their base; with six fakes and six real ones you usually get a few that make it into their base. Then I use Recall to send in all of my Arcons, the Arcons destroy the base from the inside. It's a very effective strategy against all races. But, it works extremely well against opponents that try using the big guns like Carriers or Battleships.

A major downside to this strategy is against a Terran player that knows how to utilize Science Vessels. If you're quick enough, you can use the Arbiters to Stasis Field the Science Vessels and keep em out of the action long enough to take out a good portion of their base.

Helgeran
06-09-2008, 22:13
Starcraft is still an amazing game. My copy is sitting in a box somewhere, I should try and find it.

My all time favorite strategy is with Protoss. I go massive Templars and base defenses and about six Arbiters, then wait till they attack me. Then I Psionic Storm the shit out of their attack force with the Templars, then turn all of my Templars into Arcons. I'll use a couple Templars and cast Hallucination on my Arbiters and send about 12 Arbiters into their base; with six fakes and six real ones you usually get a few that make it into their base. Then I use Recall to send in all of my Arcons, the Arcons destroy the base from the inside. It's a very effective strategy against all races. But, it works extremely well against opponents that try using the big guns like Carriers or Battleships.

A major downside to this strategy is against a Terran player that knows how to utilize Science Vessels. If you're quick enough, you can use the Arbiters to Stasis Field the Science Vessels and keep em out of the action long enough to take out a good portion of their base.
What do you do if your opponent you know... expands?

Also: archons are weak against tanks and vultures, the staple of any TvP AND they're weak against hydralisks which is usually seen in ZvP especially if the protoss turtle-tech.

Agge
06-09-2008, 22:21
Or you know... you could just emp the whole pile, no shield, no energy, hf.

Not that I would ever let anyone get such advance tech usualy anyways to get enough templars to pull of what he mentioned.

Oh and have fun vs al the spider mines spewed out al over the place.

Shit some "pros" ya been fighting there mister.

and Im like a fucking novice compared to the more dedicated crowd.

mutantmagnet
06-09-2008, 22:28
newbieforhire usaeast/west and iccup.

Daccus
06-09-2008, 22:30
What do you do if your opponent you know... expands?
Recall your Arcon's into the other bases, destroying them one by one. Send Zealots to the other resource areas on the map.

Also: archons are weak against tanks and vultures, the staple of any TvP AND they're weak against hydralisks which is usually seen in ZvP especially if the protoss turtle-tech.

If I remember right, fully upgraded, they pop hydralisks in one shot. Vultures are weak. When you send two full groups of Archons into a base, tanks aren't that effective against them, especially when you have a few Corsairs disabling any tank fire.

I think you're talking about Ladder matches, this is more of a resource map Strategy. You don't really see Carriers or Battleships in Ladder matches, something I had talked about in my original post.

Helgeran
06-09-2008, 22:30
Or you know... you could just emp the whole pile, no shield, no energy, hf.

Not that I would ever let anyone get such advance tech usualy anyways to get enough templars to pull of what he mentioned.

Oh and have fun vs al the spider mines spewed out al over the place.

Shit some "pros" ya been fighting there mister.

and Im like a fucking novice compared to the more dedicated crowd.
Hey Agge! Staaaaaaaaaaaaaaarcraaaaaaaaaaaaft. Get on vent and hamachi! I can't speak since my folks are sleeping though.

I think you're talking about Ladder matches, this is more of a resource map Strategy. You don't really see Carriers or Battleships in Ladder matches, something I had talked about in my original post.
Money maps aren't even the same game.

Agge
06-09-2008, 22:33
23:30?

Outa your mind?

Why the hell am I even reading this!?

I gotta get up in 5½ houer.

Sorry >:

(and you'd still get raped by spidermines Duck'us)

alfaroverall
06-09-2008, 22:35
I concede.

Helgeran
06-09-2008, 22:37
Better play Starcraft than read forums before bed, then you can at least fall asleep to THE SOUND OF YOUR OWN WHEEPING!

Daccus
06-09-2008, 22:40
Money maps aren't even the same game.

I never said they were, but the OP was asking about strategies and he was also saying that he wasn't a great player. BGH is more of a casual map, something I think non-experts enjoy a bit more. He never said, give me your strategies for Ladder matches only.

AtanasRikard
06-09-2008, 23:44
People who don't like DOTA just suck at the game. I find myself going back to it after I get bored of the crap mmo's out there. If you want to learn how to play DOTA, dl an ai map and play against the computer. You won't pick up the finer strategies of the map, but you can atleast learn about all the different characters, their abilities, and the different item recipes. I still play DOTA quite often, if you are ever on USWest come to channel: clan nme, I go by DeepNMurder, we have no problems showing new guys around. Hell, we have one guy who's been playing for years and still asks us questions all the time!!

alfaroverall
06-09-2008, 23:45
People who don't like DOTA just suck at the game.
Or, you know, actually want to play an RTS as an RTS...

Corpsefire
06-10-2008, 03:40
hey anyone on us west hit me up, account kornkills

playing starcraft all night (maybe)

Agge
06-10-2008, 15:10

Or just got bored of it.

Nothing lasts forever.

Agge
06-10-2008, 15:11
Better play Starcraft than read forums before bed, then you can at least fall asleep to THE SOUND OF YOUR OWN WHEEPING!

Does not want! >:

AtanasRikard
06-10-2008, 17:22

IMO warcraft3 was the weakest of all Blizzard's RTS titles. For some reason I grew tired of it quickly compared to Starcraft. If I hadn't been looking for something different on Bnet and found DOTA, I wouldn't be playing it at all anymore.

Phooey
06-10-2008, 17:32
I'll just wait for StarCraft 2.

Death's Chill
06-10-2008, 18:24
IMO warcraft3 was the weakest of all Blizzard's RTS titles. For some reason I grew tired of it quickly compared to Starcraft. If I hadn't been looking for something different on Bnet and found DOTA, I wouldn't be playing it at all anymore.

I love warcraft III for the story, but the gameplay just isn't as fast paced and fun as starcraft.

alfaroverall
06-10-2008, 18:30
I'll just wait for StarCraft 2.
I sincerely think that that game will never live up to its hype.

Though somehow SSBB did, so maybe I'll turn out to be wrong.