PDA

View Full Version : Screw GTAIV's realism, this is where its at.

[Malice]Bronson
06-06-2008, 19:27
I'd take gameplay and fun over realism anyday. Just as I'd take real pvp over arena anyday.

http://www.gametrailers.com/player/34872.html

fRdz
06-06-2008, 19:32
woah... altough, wtf is up with the GTA IV Bashing? Okay, it was a tad bit too realistic - but thats just plainly overdoing it.

Still, this game looks f-pretty awesome.

shnedit
06-06-2008, 19:36
Still, this game looks f-pretty awesome.

Yeh i really liked saints row, mainly cause you could just ride around killing other gang members.

Would you rather watch the tv within the game your playing on tv ....ect etc.

has a point

ExiliuM
06-06-2008, 19:46
Dumb trailer, but the game looks good

Shadowcreep
06-06-2008, 19:55
GTA IV is realistic? When did this happen?

I thought it actually WASN'T realistic to be able to accurately blind-fire RPGs with one straight, extended arm.

Lethn
06-06-2008, 20:25
Generally I've found that you can't really make something realistic with digital technology HINT HINT, that trailer was funny :p almost all games completely fail at being realistic even when players and reviewers say they are, there's just no way to predict the kind of things you can do in real life unless you have a computer that can calculate billions of possibilities in just a few seconds.

Fuck realism, go for amazing, that's way more fun than realism.

MorkDaOrc
06-06-2008, 20:51
As much bashing Saints Row can do, it still won't compare to GTA IV.

[Malice]Bronson
06-06-2008, 21:45
Its not trying to compare itself to GTAIV, its contrasting itself.

Showing that you can actually do something fun, rather than try to live out a fake real life by watching tv in game and going bowling. Several people I've talked to are already bored with GTAIV and only have kept it for the multiplayer, which is sparse at best. I'd rather do crazy stuff in SR2, than drive around a lame car simulator etc. Can only do the same thing over so much.

Goty
06-06-2008, 21:46
All that GTAIV bashing was lame as hell, but I'm still gonna buy Saint's Row. I have Saint's Row, and it was a blast. The only city-sandbox-mayhem game borne from GTA's unholy seed that was actually a very good game. GTAIV blew me away. I don't think I'll get that from SR2, but it'll still be a purchase.

Fudgy_Neeples
06-06-2008, 22:31
I thought that the realism that GTA 4 was trying to achieve with the Euphoria engine was awesome. The only problems with that that game was the lack of character customization and progression. You could never work out to hit harder or run faster which made it lame. Putting in all of those building and not letting us go in 99% of them was also lame Also, the game carebearized and made it so people only get injured and not die.

doma
06-06-2008, 22:36
Even though I have not played gta 4 (and I dont plan to if they dont release it on PC), I find the gta bashing pretty lame.

Oh and Saints Row 2 is said to be released for the PC, and that by itself is fucking awesome.

scotw1t
06-06-2008, 22:38
Buuuut, guuuuyyyyyssssssss. I hated Saints Row.

Ragnika
06-06-2008, 22:42
I thought that the realism that GTA 4 was trying to achieve with the Euphoria engine was awesome. The only problems with that that game was the lack of character customization and progression. You could never work out to hit harder or run faster which made it lame. Putting in all of those building and not letting us go in 99% of them was also lame Also, the game carebearized and made it so people only get injured and not die.

QFT on the buildings. I wanted to pull a few heists on the Liberty City bank until I realized I couldn't get through the doors.

I'm only about 50% complete with GTAIV; I get so god damn side tracked in that game. I have never tried Saints Row, the features this one portrays are slick though.

Bravot
06-06-2008, 23:05
GTAIV is kinda cool. The thing I liked about the older GTA's was the sandbox feel. There was more to do than follow the story and micromanage friends. I mean... what am I going to do with my money in GTAIV? Buy hookers? Clothes? Guns? Oh boy... Where are my mansions?

Something about mercilessly killing people just gets kind of old. I have more fun punching and throwing people in Crackdown.

The story is great, though - despite the missions being boring and predictable: Go here, kill dudes, run from cops (I exaggerate a bit...).

Hang on, wait... what's this thread about again?

[Malice]Bronson
06-07-2008, 01:31
All the complaints about GTAIV monotony should be fulfilled by the random stuff you can do in SR2. Don't buy SR2 for story or "polish" buy it for that do "whatever you can think up" gameplay.

And since its been delayed 2 months and this recent trailer released, I'm sure they're gonna jam pack it full of even more stuff once they see the breakout talk its creating.

Kyur
06-07-2008, 01:59
Lol, morons sinking into Saint's Row advertising, the game will be shit, they are using GTA IV as a example because they want people to think SR will be anything like GTAIV, it wont and it never will.

SR is a horrible game that shouldnt have even been compared to GTA in the first place.

shnedit
06-07-2008, 02:08
SR is a horrible game that shouldnt have even been compared to GTA in the first place.

So when youve completed GTA4 with its 'brilliant' ( lol its shit ) story, what do you do excatly?

emasame
06-07-2008, 02:21
So when youve completed GTA4 with its 'brilliant' ( lol its shit ) story, what do you do excatly?

youre a faggot, gta's plots are great and quirky.

Kyur
06-07-2008, 02:39

Um, what is shit about the GTA4 storyline exactly?

When I was finished I did all the side missions that were included, I'm still not done near all of them, and all the side missions engage you in the storyline aswell, I finished the main story, but I am no where near finishing the game.. hell, I havnt even started all the secret missions.. Maby you should play the game before you judge a game?

Also Online is hella fun, all the different gametypes.. it never gets old.

I aint going to fight you on this like a screaming little childish fanboi like yourself.. you can have your opinion, but comparing a low budget game that has as much quality to it as Barbie Horse Adventures to GTAIV is just stupid on a developer standpoint and fans.. you're setting yourself up for a huge dissapointment.

shnedit
06-07-2008, 02:45
I aint going to fight you on this like a screaming little childish fanboi (lol irony)like yourself.. you can have your opinion, but comparing a low budget game that has as much quality to it as Barbie Horse Adventures to GTAIV is just stupid on a developer standpoint and fans.. you're setting yourself up for a huge dissapointment.

awwwwwww lol, dont cry, you got it all wrong.

wasnt saying gta4 was bad game, if you could read, just saying that the story was a bit shit and theres nothing to do when you complete it.

every single gta up to 4 ive loved, lastest just seemed lacking..

WhiteGuy
06-07-2008, 02:51

wasnt saying gta4 was bad game, if you could read, just saying that the story was a bit shit and theres nothing to do when you complete it.

So you completed the whole game?

Kyur
06-07-2008, 02:54

Still, no reasons or examples..

The GTA IV story was actually the best of all the GTA's, what GTA IV is lacking in has nothing to do with the Storyline.

Don't be a game reviewer, ever.

Odds are he hasnt finished 10% of the story.

shnedit
06-07-2008, 02:57

If you mean, the whole entire thing, everything, no.

Why the fuck does everyone love this game so much? Vice city >gta4 anyday.

edit: anyway, your opinion = mine, agrue till your blue in the face.

Kaorn
06-07-2008, 03:04
Looks fun.

Ungraylessness
06-07-2008, 05:19
Saint's Row is a lot less work than GTA, I don't have to be good at driving to run over pedestrians. Nerds would say that's a bad thing, but the customization and rival gangs gives me the liberty to play how I want to. Even if it is a rip-off...

Dazarthas
06-07-2008, 05:39
GTAIV was great, but in all honesty, SR2's message of badassery speaks to me in ways that GTA didn't. I look forward to what Volition has in store for us in August.

Agge
06-07-2008, 07:53
Although it nails down alot of the things I don't like GTA:IV, gotta say it's one of the worst of them al imo, it didn't look that special itself at al.

One question, does it have multiplayer? Otherwise I will just wait for the GTA:IV pc version and hope that it's mp is better then the crap I saw/played on the ps3.

Kyur
06-07-2008, 09:50
GTAIV was great, but in all honesty, SR2's message of badassery speaks to me in ways that GTA didn't. I look forward to what Volition has in store for us in August.

Honestly, does everyone need to be told what they can and cannot do in a game?

GTA IV is a Sandbox, they create the sandbox, you play.. they don't set up little obstacles for you to play on.. you do whatever the hell you want, like this..

http://www.gametrailers.com/player/34926.html

All Saint's Row does is give you a list of things you can possibly do in the game, if GTA IV did that exact same thing, it would come out on top..

You can slice people with the helicopter wing, run over hookers, run over a few hundred people at once, jump off a buiding with your car, fly a helicopter into a bunch of cars, spray watever from your firetruck at pedestrians... I could go on all god damn day, and because Saint's Row goes and makes a video showing these things it is suddenly more badass.

The arguement Saint's Row uses is extremely biast, it is comparing the non-sandbox content of GTA against Saint's Rows Sandbox content.

Goty
06-08-2008, 02:09
You can slice people with the helicopter wing, run over hookers, run over a few hundred people at once, jump off a buiding with your car, fly a helicopter into a bunch of cars, spray watever from your firetruck at pedestrians... I could go on all god damn day, and because Saint's Row goes and makes a video showing these things it is suddenly more badass.

Thing is, in SR those sorts of activities were included as cash and 'respect' earning activities that would increase in challenge up to a final level that was suddenly pretty difficult. Sure, you can do all these violent and humorous acts in GTA - but there's no other reward in it than doing it. In SR, you were rewarded for it in a useful way.

Example - Earning cash with "Insurance Fraud" activities would have you jumping in front of traffic and causing huge collisions in order to rack up a set amount of monetary measure of your injuries. Those were fun, funny, and not so easy all of the time.

Atnas
06-08-2008, 02:20
Funny thing is I said yes to all the first questions because the gameplay on the "OR WOULD YOU RATHER" looked really bad.

Scully
06-08-2008, 02:25
I don't see a problem with realistic games. In fact I prefer realistic games. I don't get the whole "If you want realistic, just go outside!". If I wanted to go outside I would have done so already. The sun hurts. So I play games.

omnigol
06-08-2008, 02:37
What with GTA IVs realism? I'd like to hear some critiques on that. I haven't played it. I honestly enjoyed GTA1&2s gameplay. The transition to 3d has sucked for GTAs gameplay. GTA3 and GTAsan andreas were fun for a little bit (never could finish either), but the whole 'target' aim system works for zelda because you don't have to fight 15 people at once, in GTA it's easy to get 15 gang members or police men on you and scrolling through targets takes too much time in those situations.