PDA

View Full Version : teaching someone how to think.

squrrilslayer
06-05-2008, 11:30
ForumFall, i am in need of you guidance and wisdom.

My sister is struggling very much at her schoolwork (year 10) and i have narrowed her problem down to her inability of lateral and cognitive thinking. She cannot think outside the realms of simple equations and she is very short tempered when she faces a question outside the realms of easy equation stuff.

eg: she was unable to answer this question~
"A line runs perpendicular to the x axis. The line also passes through the point (-4,7). Find the equation of the line"

How do i teach her how to think outside the square and open up her mind to other possibilities? If i can't fix her, she will be nagging me for answers for her next 2.5 years of high school and possibly uni (if she makes it miraculously).

thanks.

Angry-Khan
06-05-2008, 11:34
beat her a few times, should work.

Malhavok
06-05-2008, 11:44
She can't even think inside the box (Cartesian coordinates). Why again are you worrying about outside the box thinking?

Lethn
06-05-2008, 11:47
I could bitch at you about why I think that forcing her to do something she doesn't like and change her way of thinking is wrong but I find the vast majority of adults seem to have difficulty thinking outside that kind of box as well.

To put it simply she may simply just hate maths, I hated doing school work but when it comes to doing Maya, drawing or martial arts training I'm actually pretty damn good at it that stuff just isn't in the usual curriculum, maybe you should just tell your sister to sod off and make her do something she enjoys instead of trying to change how she thinks.

Spinewire
06-05-2008, 11:51
send her round my house

losinglife
06-05-2008, 12:05
jesus at this age i probably couldnt even answer that question, but that is from forgetting what the fuck the equation is. However i will give her the answer of my penis.

Lethn
06-05-2008, 12:07
Some people just can't answer those types of questions, it isn't because they're stupid it's because they just think in a different way and quite frankly I think that your average school curriculum is only suited for one way of thinking.

Spinewire
06-05-2008, 12:12

My sister is struggling very much at her schoolwork (year 10) and i have narrowed her problem down to her inability of lateral and cognitive thinking. She cannot think outside the realms of simple equations and she is very short tempered when she faces a question outside the realms of easy equation stuff.

"A line runs perpendicular to the x axis. The line also passes through the point (-4,7). Find the equation of the line"

How do i teach her how to think outside the square and open up her mind to other possibilities? If i can't fix her, she will be nagging me for answers for her next 2.5 years of high school and possibly uni (if she makes it miraculously).

thanks.
dyslexic? dyscalcular?

Zwarp
06-05-2008, 12:13
sorry, its been such a long time i can't remember how to do it, so i can't help you i guess

Marx
06-05-2008, 12:14
Tell her to drop out of school and do something else if she's not good at school shit.

Some people just can't answer those types of questions, it isn't because they're stupid it's because they just think in a different way and quite frankly I think that your average school curriculum is only suited for one way of thinking.

Nah, its because they're stupid.

Steelbadger
06-05-2008, 12:16
My sister had similar issues. It seems to stem from a difficulty in visualizing the situation (most maths problems can be thought of in terms of graphs). Unfortunately I don't think there really is a way to make people see the problems in the same way you do, so you have to settle for giving them some tools and rules to apply to such problems.

I find that drawing the situation tends to work best, after some practice she may be able to simply visualize the situation in her head, and when you can see the problem it is far easier to see the solution.

Zwarp
06-05-2008, 12:19
Tell her to drop out of school and do something else if she's not good at school shit.

Nah, its because they're stupid.

die, red !

Yes I believe visual explanation is the best thing to do, my bro taught me like that and I felt enlightened at once...

Corey Grim
06-05-2008, 12:22
If she likes drawing you can ask her to draw (easy) objects how she thinks they look from other side without taking a peek or first seeing the object. its hard to say what the problem really is (maybe it is just that she hates math?) tho.

squrrilslayer
06-05-2008, 12:24
she usually likes maths...

i tell her to draw the stuff, but she doesnt know how to draw...
i tell her to use logic but she doesn't seem to have alot of that either...
i show her the answer and she doesnt understand it...
*sigh* :bang:

for those who don't know, the answer to that question is: y=x+7

Oh, and she love's horse riding. She want's to become a vet/people doctor (lol...). I fail to comprehend why such easy topics are so hard for some people.

Lets all jump in and do calculus and trig!

Zwarp
06-05-2008, 12:31

Showing her the answer won't do it, you should draw it yourself, then hide it, and tell her to try to draw it or something

Marx
06-05-2008, 12:32

Not suited for academic life then?
It's not like anyone here knows whats best for your sister anyways so what is the point of this thread?
Isn't this more of a matter for her parents anyways? Or is it you who's 10 years old and has a hard time with math?

People learn if they want to learn, if she doesn't want to learn then welcome her to the kitchen.

Corey Grim
06-05-2008, 12:37

Im very very crap at drawing, really, but drawing just simple lines (dunno the things english name anyway you can easily draw straight line with its help) of for example cube from other side shouldnt be that hard...

3d dimesion thinking is what im after here.

Steelbadger
06-05-2008, 12:41

Hang on, hang on.

Perpendicular = at right angles to.

Therefore the line is parallel to the y-axis and therefore cannot be expressed in the form y= (as y=∞). The correct answer is that the line is x=-4.

I mean, your answer doesn't even make sense if we remove the whole perpendicular thing. y=-4+7 means y=3, not 7.

EDIT for piccy:

Graph (http://img384.imageshack.us/img384/7470/38690056zm2.png)

BlackVolgan
06-05-2008, 12:48
i did jack shit in highschool.

and loved it.

Lethn
06-05-2008, 12:54
I remember when there were tons of people in forumfall telling me how important qualifications and school were... Bloody hell time flies doesn't it?

BlackVolgan
06-05-2008, 13:14
well i didn't need highschool for what i am doing now.

you might

Spinewire
06-05-2008, 13:19
I remember when there were tons of people in forumfall telling me how important qualifications and school were... Bloody hell time flies doesn't it?
really? The basic GSCE's are a must just to show your not a retard a few A levels just drills the point home....

But as for degrees from my own point of you they are epic fail and teach you nothing of the industry you want to go into. All this bullshit about a rounded education that shows you are able to learn and hard working is complete shit, they want people that can do they job and know wtf they are talking about from day one.

There are a few exceptions such as law and medicine but thats about it.

MoonDawn
06-05-2008, 13:21
If she doesn't get your explanation because she can't visualize it you either need to do these kinds of equations so many times that she'll learn them by heart (and continue like that for the rest of her life), or she has to find a teacher/helper that thinks like her.

I had a heck of a time learning math, physics and chemistry in school because everything I relate to is visual (and everything else is magic ;P). It wasn't until I was 17 and changed schools that I met a teacher that found a way to explain things to me by using non-abstract examples. This was after he received my solution to an equation and illustrated my solution for me using a car - thus showing that according to *my* math, a car that drives towards a cliff will stop in the air right after driving off the cliff, turn 90 degrees, and then continue to drop straight down beause of gravity...

The same teacher told me, in the middle of class, to "go look at the washing machine!" when he explained the centripetal force :P I was quite famous for not understanding any equations containing x and y's and other exciting letters.

I still have problems understanding things that can't be visualized easily, and I have (and probably your sister will have) the problem that when I learn by heart the rules to solve an equations for something, I still won't recognize when to use that equation if the "situation described" has changed from when I last solved the equation. *eye roll*

wowsa0
06-05-2008, 13:36

Is the answer x = -4?

Tharkon Fargor
06-05-2008, 13:36

thanks.

Buy learning software.
There's tons of Mathemathical games and stuff out there. Like really advanced shit to.

Or if you're good animate or at least draw different lines and show her how they progress as they become steeper and what the answer is to them perhaps.

Senti
06-05-2008, 13:43
Wait, she's a sophomore? And learning that stuff?

Lol. I'm working with that and I'm not even in High School yet.

Is the answer x = -4?

the equation of a line is in slope intercept form: y=mx+b

wowsa0
06-05-2008, 13:46
Wait, she's a sophomore? And learning that stuff?

Lol. I'm working with that and I'm not even in High School yet.

No not necassarily, what do you think the answer is then? I'm telling you that the answer is x = -4.

Viluin
06-05-2008, 13:50
The equation is X=-4. It cannot be expressed in Y because Y is not influenced by X, since X is always -4.

Ovtivon
06-05-2008, 13:51

The line cannot be in slope intercept form since the question asks for a perpendicular equation for the line and since it did not specify that it needed to be a function then the answer is x=-4.

And y=x+7 doesn't even makes sense since the question says the line passes through (-4,7) and -4+7 =/= 7. Not to mention it says the line is perpendicular to the x-axis.

Bravot
06-05-2008, 13:52
*facepalm*

Spinewire
06-05-2008, 13:57
And y=x+7 doesn't even makes sense since the question says the line passes through (-4,7) and -4+7 =/= 7. Not to mention it says the line is perpendicular to the x-axis.
I did wonder wtf i had missed when he said that...

Might explain why his sister cannot visualise it now hahahaha

Senti
06-05-2008, 14:58
If I could get into my Algebra class I could cross-post, but I already finished.
I never realized how useful it was.
>_<

Kekshorts
06-05-2008, 15:10
she doesn't need to think to be an english major.

scotw1t
06-05-2008, 15:12
she doesn't need to think to be an english major.

Yeah, just take her math away and throw her a copy of Once Upon a MacBeth Juliette. Teach her words. When she fails to use logic to stun anyone, she can beat them down with scathing remarks!

Xinnro
06-05-2008, 15:22
Penis in the mouth corrects such problems. Do you need me to put my penis in her mouth for you? For the kid of course..It's all about the kids.

scotw1t
06-05-2008, 15:26
Penis in the mouth corrects such problems. Do you need me to put my penis in her mouth for you? For the kid of course..It's all about the kids.

Xinnro is what we like to call a giver.

trigor
06-05-2008, 15:29

thanks.

lol man americans are dum .... most poeple here think your sister is 10 years old lol

I have a sister in year 10 too.... if u want to teach her how to think outside the box ...use graphical representation ..draw the equation for her in a graph and explain it in the simpleist of ways, then get her to do a number of examples. i know u fully understand it but your sister dosent so dont get upset when u have to explain things a few different ways or a number of times.

Teutates
06-05-2008, 15:30
females suck at math.

Lethn
06-05-2008, 15:42
females suck at math.

Sexist! Kill him!

Razel
06-05-2008, 16:15

zactly... Just cuz she doesn't accel at it doesn't mean shes not good at something else. Besides your talking about a young girl there... lol with hormones no less, therefore she prolly won't be 'right' till after 30ish. Only way you can think outside of the box well is thru experience and... you have to be suited for it. Most people simply cant see past the tip of their nose.

My suggestion... have her find something shes suited for or likes to do and go with it. Otherwise... if you really want her to learn the math just explain it the best way you can until she catches on. Time well spent.

Math isnt for everyone obviously. I wanted to be an electrical engineer until i started puking formulas so much i threw the textbooks and decided to get my hands dirty.

Erroneous
06-05-2008, 16:30
i know u fully understand it but your sister dosent so dont get upset when u have to explain things a few different ways or a number of times.

Apparently he doesn't so it may not be the student's fault. But yea you need to get a bunch of grid paper and work out how lines and slopes work visually and not through equations. Some people won't get it. This is also really helpful if she makes it to conic sections, understanding the properties of curves is much more important and intuitive then the equations.

Ultimo
06-05-2008, 16:34
Hang on, hang on.

Therefore the line is parallel to the y-axis and therefore cannot be expressed in the form y= (as y=∞). The correct answer is that the line is x=-4.

I mean, your answer doesn't even make sense if we remove the whole perpendicular thing. y=-4+7 means y=3, not 7.

EDIT for piccy:

I'm glad you got to that. I was about to lay the math smackdown (Mathematics is one of my majors).

You saved me the trouble.

EDIT: Also, your sister is basically fucked. People either get math, or they don't. The only reason I am majoring in math as well as Computer Science is because I have the uncanny ability to instantly understand almost any math problem (I have never studied for math, even abstract math at the college level). My girlfriend, however, can't even do simple multiplication in her head (like 6 * 7) yet she is still very intelligent in other areas. Math is just one of those niche subjects that some people excel at and some people don't.

I'd say just tell her to survive high school then do something in college that requires no mathematical thought.

SSguy
06-05-2008, 16:45

Go buy her a pole pls. Then take her to a candy/liqour store to pick out her favorite name.

FraBaktos
06-05-2008, 17:09
She can't even think inside the box (Cartesian coordinates). Why again are you worrying about outside the box thinking?

That exact same thought occurred to me as well... You beat me to it by a long shot though.

Muse
06-05-2008, 17:11
Do you know if she has a specific learning disorder or something akin to that?

Dyslexia, Autism, ADHD, etc?

Ches
06-05-2008, 17:18
She cannot think outside the realms of simple equations and she is very short tempered when she faces a question outside the realms of easy equation stuff.

I had this issue for a short time, shocking as it might seem what helped me the most was learning how to play chess. Dont ask me how or why but it did wonders for me

FraBaktos
06-05-2008, 17:19
First off all... Don't get angry at her because she might suffer from learning disabilities. This doesn't mean that she is stupid, it just means that her brain works in a different way that the norm. She might have a difficult time learning the way that the average person learns. Now you have to figure out what her learning strengths are... maybe you should take her to get assessed, there are places you can go to do this. Maybe look into it. Some people also don't think mathematically... Her strengths probably lie in other areas and she may just have to grind her way through high school math :/

Uzik
06-05-2008, 17:28
Pics or it didn't happen.

Preferably...

nekkid pics...

Anyways, stupid logic math like that is useless in the real world. All you need to know it how to turn on a computer and launch excel.

Elemancer
06-05-2008, 17:28
First off all... Don't get angry at her because she might suffer from learning disabilities. This doesn't mean that she is stupid, it just means that her brain works in a different way that the norm. She might have a difficult time learning the way that the average person learns. Now you have to figure out what her learning strengths are... maybe you should take her to get assessed, there are places you can go to do this. Maybe look into it. Some people also don't think mathematically... Her strengths probably lie in other areas and she may just have to grind her way through high school math :/

Observation of what she DOES do, emphasize it, and then slow evolution will work. I find when tutoring someone, you try to relate things back to a basic concept they firmly understand, until they understand the new concept, I don't move on. Also, try to make sure you're taking it to HER level, and not your own...sometimes this is hard.

Vanno
06-05-2008, 17:39
Maybe you should worry about your math skills first there OP, before you worry about your sister.

Y=X+7? What type of math did you use to come to that solution?

Estrang
06-05-2008, 17:48
My sister had similar issues. It seems to stem from a difficulty in visualizing the situation (most maths problems can be thought of in terms of graphs). Unfortunately I don't think there really is a way to make people see the problems in the same way you do, so you have to settle for giving them some tools and rules to apply to such problems.

I find that drawing the situation tends to work best, after some practice she may be able to simply visualize the situation in her head, and when you can see the problem it is far easier to see the solution.

The real question is, how does this stuff benefit you beyond the 'system'?

akrippler
06-05-2008, 17:53
Tell her shes a stupid bitch and if she doesnt shape up shell be selling bj's at the local truck stop... That ought to scare her shitless and make her do some school work.

Acrylic_300
06-05-2008, 17:54
Yeah, just take her math away and throw her a copy of Once Upon a MacBeth Juliette. Teach her words. When she fails to use logic to stun anyone, she can beat them down with scathing remarks!

I graduated in the top 10% of the Nation and I even got an "A" in College Chemestry. I had a "B" until I talked to the teacher.

There is nothing more important than writing in most college courses. If this guy was good at writing he would be able to figure out how to help his sister, because writing is another way of thinking.

He is like every other math head; he thinks he is smart but actually if he had to explain how to do something in words he would fail. He looks at his sister having trouble and he thinks he knows the answer to the question but he can't explain how to do it and he assumes that his sister can not think outside a box.

Then in an act of frustration, he posts his little sisters problems on a forum for a game that don't exist. Now he can hear people talking about doing things to his little sister. Now she can be the dirty little girl he always wanted her to be.

akrippler
06-05-2008, 17:59
Anyways, stupid logic math like that is useless in the real world.

I like Uzik so i wont say anthing hateful but, am I the only one that thought the stupid ass kid in the back of the classroom that said something along thoose lines (Im never going to use this in the real world) in the middle of class was always an asshat?

Newsflash you gotta know it to get your diploma and youll be using that for the rest of your life so dont bitch.

Again, Uzik your the man! I know you were just trying to be funny, but the ignorant ass kids back in class used to piss me off.

Steelbadger
06-05-2008, 18:04

Wrong person to ask. I'm an engineer.

So I'd say it helps rather a lot. :ninja:

SSguy
06-05-2008, 18:12

Programming
Graphics Design
Animation, thats definetly one.
Forensics and Physics are also included.
Carpentry and Engineering, especially buildings.

But its not just algebra.....its the abstract thought process that algebra teaches.

For programming, since I can understand algebra and calculus, I can understand BigO computation thoroughly.

Even if you do not use it in designing graphics and such, I can guarantee you that the people who built the design program you are using have used the math we learn in highschool and college.

Scully
06-05-2008, 18:15
What kind of question is that? Even I can't answer that and I'm a genius...

Jangang
06-05-2008, 19:27
I dunno about your area, but they have a place 'round here called Sylvian Learning Centers... I'm sure they have something similar where you are...

They basically take kids who are, Trouble Makers, Psuedo Retarded, or just not interested in school and teach them better ways of learning, and thinking... Just what you are asking for actually.

BAM, Having solved your problem I expect a pittance... I take cash, money orders, or hot women.

Malhavok
06-06-2008, 00:12

Oh, and she love's horse riding. She want's to become a vet/people doctor (lol...). I fail to comprehend why such easy topics are so hard for some people.

Lets all jump in and do calculus and trig!

Hang on, hang on.

EDIT for piccy:

If only I could fit this in all its glory into a sig. No wonder why you can't teach your "sister" how to think.

umustbemistaken
06-06-2008, 00:40
I am shocked each and every time there is a thread made containing a true personal problem and actually expects the answer to be found here, in this place.

HOWEVER, if she is that hard to teach repetition, repetition, repetition and eventually it will click, you may have to devote hours to this if you care that much. That’s really all there is to it.

That bullshit about some kids naturally thinking to differently to do school math is an excuse for teenagers that don't like math or are too lazy. Every one can learn math that is a fact. (Of course the exception of disorders and such give the child some slack if she has one but it is still possible. On this topic you can't tell me nothin)

Death's Chill
06-06-2008, 00:54
Yes, because he inability to solve simple math problems means she can't think outside of the box, and obviously she's dumb and retarded because of this. :rolleyes:

I've always hated math, but I think I manage just fine. It's not like she'll ever need to know that stuff in her life, so what's the big deal?

Jangang
06-06-2008, 01:04
I'm patiently waiting for Death's Chill to recommend she drop out and live a life of glamor while working for minimum wage at some trashy business.

Seriously though, Math isn't everyones cup of tea so to speak. As long there is something she is good at and can focus on she'll be fine. If there isn't then worry, and try to remedy that.

Death's Chill
06-06-2008, 01:25
I'm patiently waiting for Death's Chill to recommend she drop out and live a life of glamor while working for minimum wage at some trashy business.

Seriously though, Math isn't everyones cup of tea so to speak. As long there is something she is good at and can focus on she'll be fine. If there isn't then worry, and try to remedy that.

I'm recommend that she does what she feels is correct. In school there were a few subjects I could bare, and so I looked forward to them. Of course, in this society you're not truly free to make your own choices, you can't even choose what you'd like to learn.

alfaroverall
06-06-2008, 01:27
Firstly: does she know the definition of perpendicular?
Secondly: does she know what the Cartesian plane looks like and how it's structured?
Thirdly: does she understand that a vertical line has a constant x value and a range of y values of all real numbers?
Fourthly: does she understand, per the above, that a vertical line is of the form x=a, where a is a real number?

All of those things are rigidly inside the box, and between them form the just slightly outside-the-box answer of x=-4.

Malhavok
06-06-2008, 01:32
You missed Fourthly Aflar =(

Why are you insulting the intelligence of your "sister" when you can't even solve the problem yourself? And yah, the most out-of-the-box thing about that problem is realizing that equations can also be in the form x=stuff and not just y=stuff.

alfaroverall
06-06-2008, 01:35
You missed Fourthly Aflar =(
Point taken, post edited.

Tharkon Fargor
06-06-2008, 01:36

Well said!

And I'll make your sister a serious proposal you can forward her.
Sweden provides free education for anyone: Even those outside of this country but you have to have a good reason to come here and study.

If you could put forth a request for her to join a "folkhögskola" in which she would be able to pick her own subjects and skip highschool.

For example if she'd like to be a designer or a mechanic.
http://www.unesco.org/iau/onlinedatabases/systems_data/se.rtf

There's some information.

@
Death's Chill

In Sweden you are quite free :)

Tharkon Fargor
06-06-2008, 01:38
Meh why insult people even on the internet.

Death's Chill
06-06-2008, 01:39
@
Death's Chill

In Sweden you are quite free :)

You're not forced to go to High school in Sweden? :eek:

Not bad. ;)

Tharkon Fargor
06-06-2008, 01:41
Exacly. (Highschool as in classes 9(10)-11(12)

Instead you can pick your an education that will give you the possibility to get work directly after not involving subjects you don't like.

Viluin
06-06-2008, 01:44
Exacly. (Highschool as in classes 9(10)-11(12)

Instead you can pick your an education that will give you the possibility to get work directly after not involving subjects you don't like.

That's for stupid people who want to end up working for minimum wage.

Ample
06-06-2008, 01:46
I'm not good at explaining things and everyone here has given any advice i'd have to give. However, i would like to say, as someone who struggled with math (i took both algebra 1 and geometry twice), it just takes time for people's brains to develop to the point where they can easily understand abstract ideas (you know, that pesky puberty thing). i'll be a junior in hs next year, taking AP calc ab... and 3 years ago i was struggling (although, admittedly, not as much as your daughter is apparently struggling) with the same kind of concepts.
my advice, just be patient... hopefully something clicks soon though, for her sake =P.

that or she's just being lazy and doesn't care. does she have big boobs? pretty face? would she rank a 7 or higher on the hotness scale? blond? If so, this behavior is perfectly normal.

Tharkon Fargor
06-06-2008, 01:47
Stop being a dick dude.

Skipping school is for those who want to end up working for minimum wage.
This is not, it's just for people who are more "practicly oriantated".

Viluin
06-06-2008, 01:49
Stop being a dick dude.

Skipping school is for those who want to end up working for minimum wage.
This is not, it's just for people who are more "practicly oriantated".

Uhh, yeah. I know exactly what you mean. Those people end up working for minimum wage or perhaps a bit more 9 out of 10 times. There's nothing "cool" or "awesome" about it.

Tharkon Fargor
06-06-2008, 01:56
You wish.

As everyone ellse have said, people are good on different things and freedom of choice is needed.
Those who go to these schools become the backbone of the cultural elite or those who work in the car industry, boat industry etc. (Pays high as fuck and sometimes only 6 hour workdays)

But keep thinking you're better than everyone ellse if it makes you feel good for knowing "maths".

Jangang
06-06-2008, 01:59
I want to be clear that I was in no way implying that she should stop going to high school, nor that anyone should. I was saying that she should focus on the subjects that she can excel at. If she sucks at math maybe calculus should be dropped and some other subject taken in its place...

I dunno if high school has changed but when I went you only needed two math classes... And if you wanted they could be pre algebra, and algebra 1... Both easy classes... Hell you could replace Alg 1 w/ Geometry if algebra wasn't your thing... Or even some other non math classes could be used. (if they used math to some degree.)

Anyway to be clear...

My official position is kids should MAN THE FUCK UP and stay in school. Replace hated subjects with anything you can handle that still gets you a credit and focus on the classes you do better at.

Viluin
06-06-2008, 02:01
You wish.

As everyone ellse have said, people are good on different things and freedom of choice is needed.
Those who go to these schools become the backbone of the cultural elite or those who work in the car industry, boat industry etc.

But keep thinking you're better than everyone ellse if it makes you feel good for knowing "maths".

At least I'll get paid more.

In The Netherlands, education is compulsory until your 18th birthday, unless you manage to finish high school before that time. If you were a VBMO high-school student (Lowest form of education which is more practically oriented, hint hint) you MUST attend a form of tertiary education until your 18th birthday.

Bodu
06-06-2008, 02:03
sorry, its been such a long time i can't remember how to do it, so i can't help you i guess

you and everyone who doesn't know how to do this because you "can't remember it" are morons imo...

it just means you never understood it in the first place... which is fucking sad because this is some pre-k shit right here

Death's Chill
06-06-2008, 02:03
Uhh, yeah. I know exactly what you mean. Those people end up working for minimum wage or perhaps a bit more 9 out of 10 times. There's nothing "cool" or "awesome" about it.

Yeah, not conforming to something you're pushed into certainly is nothing. :rolleyes:

I'm honestly shocked at how much support High school gets on this forum, as it's so freedom-oriented.

My official position is kids should MAN THE FUCK UP and stay in school. Replace hated subjects with anything you can handle that still gets you a credit and focus on the classes you do better at.

It bothers me, to my very core, that you consider "manning the fuck up" to be accepting a forced life.

If high school wasn't forced, it would be entirely different, because then the government would actually have to do a good job in order to get people to go. Right now, they are like a company with the power to force you to buy and utilize their product, regardless of its quality. It doesn't get anymore fucked up than that.

Viluin
06-06-2008, 02:06
I'm honestly shocked at how much support High school gets on this forum, as it's so freedom-oriented.

To make things clear.. Exactly which high school are you talking about? Different countries use different names. Do you mean secondary or tertiary education?

Matriel
06-06-2008, 02:11
Why does she need to learn math to wash dishes and cook food? That's what I want to know.

Tharkon Fargor
06-06-2008, 02:13
To make things clear.. Exactly which high school are you talking about? Different countries use different names. Do you mean secondary or tertiary education?

We're talking about secondary.

That is like...When you finnish 1-9 or 0-8 as you have in Sweden you go to "Secondary" education. - aka Highschool.

ok fuck this. Tomorow it's the swedish national day :D So going to party. NEed sleep. :P cu

kiwiandmango
06-06-2008, 02:14
Why does she need to learn math to wash dishes and cook food? That's what I want to know.

Pfft everyone knows that in families the male overlord lets his wife get a fancy job, its all the rage

Death's Chill
06-06-2008, 02:15

Well I've only got experience in going here, and our system is sort of different I believe. I'm speaking about high school, which has five levels, "Secondaire un " all the way to "Secondaire Cinq".

In most provinces here, it's illegal to quit high school until you're 16, unless you get emancipated. I think there are two provinces that only allow you to leave after 18, and by then if you haven't graduated... well, yeah. ;)

Matriel
06-06-2008, 02:16
Pfft everyone knows that in families the male overlord lets his wife get a fancy job, its all the rage

That only works if she picks a career that makes good money. Instead of picking some stupid career then bitching that male engineers make more than her. :p

Tharkon Fargor
06-06-2008, 02:17
O_o wait wait I just have to say something?

Illegal to quit highschool until you're 16?
You start highschool at 16.

Yeah I think we have the terms messed up.
Ofcourse if you skip like common school (Where they teach you stuff like basics of language, basic mathemathics) then you're fucked. You need to shape up there anyway.

And we have special schools for people who can't handle that... But we ain't talking about that now xD think thats why this convo is so messed up.

Death's Chill
06-06-2008, 02:21

Ofcourse if you skip like common school (Where they teach you stuff like basics of language, basic mathemathics) then you're fucked. You need to shape up there anyway.

And we have special schools for people who can't handle that... But we ain't talking about that now xD think thats why this convo is so messed up.

Wait, what? I was half way through my third year of High school when I left, and that was at least three years ago. :ninja:

Viluin
06-06-2008, 02:41
Well I've only got experience in going here, and our system is sort of different I believe. I'm speaking about high school, which has five levels, "Secondaire un " all the way to "Secondaire Cinq".

In most provinces here, it's illegal to quit high school until you're 16, unless you get emancipated. I think there are two provinces that only allow you to leave after 18, and by then if you haven't graduated... well, yeah. ;)

So you're saying secondary education is overrated? Wtf do you want to put on your CV? "Education: Primary School"? That's hilarious.

I started at 17, and I was an early student (Most of my class mates were 18-19). I'm pretty sure I know what kind of secondary education you're talking about, and if you don't do anything after that you WILL work for minimum wage.

Death's Chill
06-06-2008, 03:01
So you're saying secondary education is overrated? Wtf do you want to put on your CV? "Education: Primary School"? That's hilarious.

You don't need formal education to get a simple minimum wage or manual labor job. So, there that is useless for me, as I don't intend to search higher, more intricate jobs, as working for someone else isn't my main goal.

I'm fine working a minimum wage job, living on my own, and trying my own things. Just getting by with some leisure involved, it's quite alright. From there, I will work on my own projects that do not require absurdly useless formal education.

However for the average person, the high school diploma IS useful. Anything you "learn" from that horrendous place will become irrelevant as you'll never use it again in your life unless you specialize in a certain field such as teaching, or a science field.

I started at 17, and I was an early student (Most of my class mates were 18-19). I'm pretty sure I know what kind of secondary education you're talking about, and if you don't do anything after that you WILL work for minimum wage.[/quote]

Viluin
06-06-2008, 03:03
You don't need formal education to get a simple minimum wage or manual labor job. So, there that is useless for me, as I don't intend to search higher, more intricate jobs, as working for someone else isn't my main goal.

I'm fine working a minimum wage job, living on my own, and trying my own things. Just getting by with some leisure involved, it's quite alright. From there, I will work on my own projects that do not require absurdly useless formal education.

However for the average person, the high school diploma IS useful. Anything you "learn" from that horrendous place will become irrelevant as you'll never use it again in your life unless you specialize in a certain field such as teaching, or a science field.

I started at 17, and I was an early student (Most of my class mates were 18-19). I'm pretty sure I know what kind of secondary education you're talking about, and if you don't do anything after that you WILL work for minimum wage.

K.

Enjoy your minimum wage.

Eskareon
06-06-2008, 03:15
K.

Enjoy your minimum wage.

But, dude, he gets to try his own things. I mean, come on. Isn't that awesome? Because we all know that if you earn higher than minimum wage, you don't get the opportunity to try your own things. Duh.

Kaorn
06-06-2008, 03:22
Identify what kind of a learner she is (Visual, Kinesthetic, Auditory, etc) and gear your teacher her towards that to help her understand.

Death's Chill
06-06-2008, 03:58
But, dude, he gets to try his own things. I mean, come on. Isn't that awesome? Because we all know that if you earn higher than minimum wage, you don't get the opportunity to try your own things. Duh.

Actually the majority of the people in America don't get to try their own things. Stuck, dead at a job that isn't really fun, even with their fancy college degrees.

Look, if that's what you want to go for, be my guest. I just find it hilarious that people think it's the only way to financial security.

emasame
06-06-2008, 04:09
god op youre stupid
i spent like 5-10 minutes trying to figure out what the fuck you were thinking when you said the answer.

but good trolling, even if you didnt meant too.

alfaroverall
06-06-2008, 04:15
Actually the majority of the people in America don't get to try their own things. Stuck, dead at a job that isn't really fun, even with their fancy college degrees.

Look, if that's what you want to go for, be my guest. I just find it hilarious that people think it's the only way to financial security.
I find it funny as a whole that people who have interests that people will pay them to fulfill and have college degrees wind up doing desk jobs.

Death's Chill
06-06-2008, 04:18
I find it funny as a whole that people who have interests that people will pay them to fulfill and have college degrees wind up doing desk jobs.

So wait are you being sarcastic here? Do you not actually mean what you're saying, I.E. attacking me, or do you actually agree, and really do find it funny that people with goals and degrees windup at a job they don't like?

:ninja:

alfaroverall
06-06-2008, 04:26
So wait are you being sarcastic here? Do you not actually mean what you're saying, I.E. attacking me, or do you actually agree, and really do find it funny that people with goals and degrees windup at a job they don't like?

:ninja:
Yes, I do find it funny. God damn I hate the internet sometimes...

Death's Chill
06-06-2008, 04:42
Indeed, heh. ;)

Septus
06-06-2008, 05:05

This is pretty basic. Since the slope would be (y2-y1)/0, the slope is undefined. The equation would be x = -4.

Why? Because since the line is perpendicular to the x-axis, that means it is parallel to the y-axis, otherwise known as a vertical line. So the x value never changes.

How is this outside the box? Just tell her because it's a completely vertical line & the x never changes, the equation is x = -4. Then explain to her why the slope is undefined.

It might help to explain to her a line with the slope of zero. For example, if the line was PARALLEL to the x-axis and passed through (-4, 7), we would know that the y value never changed (because it's a horizontal line). So the slope would be (7 - 7) / [-4 - (-3)] = 0 which yields an equation of y = 0*x + 7, or y = 7.

That would explain why your sister didn't get it. Don't teach people if you're retarded. Please. It just makes it harder for everyone.

Porthios
06-06-2008, 05:29

thanks.
I was a biology lab assistant for a professor in university, and it was our task to teach incoming freshmen how to think about problems, rather than just staring at them.

Don't answer questions directly. Answer them by asking more questions. At first, just ask a few, but then gradually increase the frequency until, 6 months later, the student is answering all of their own questions.

I think what's important is that we make sure we are not guiding the student too much once they are well into their training. It's important that we simply make them think, even if it's in a direction that we see to be as compeltely wrong.

So at this point--6 months later--you're only asking quesitons right? Now you've got to get the student to ask their own questions. You can do this by simply tapering off the amount of questions you ask. At first, still ask a decent amount of questions. Ask the right questions, but don't ask them all. As time progresses, the student will realize that THEY need to be asking the questions. Another 6 months later--if she doesn't kill herself--she'll have become independant. It's not easy making someone think about stuff that they really don't like to think about. But if she's at least worried about keeping her grades up, then hopefully she'll stick it through until it's easy for her.

P.S. y=mx+b (b = y intercept, or where the line intercepts the y-axis)

Lethn
06-06-2008, 10:09
The biggest problem a lot of children face and I can say this from personal experience is that education wise, there are NO options if you don't want to do a certain subject, the vast majority of teachers take the extremist route of "Their way or the high way" and if you say something or do something they don't agree with then your either booted out of school or put in the lowest class possible, I was always in the lowest classes even in some subjects that I reasonably liked like science, in Biology I got a B+ in this test I did which was the highest in my class because I found some of the stuff genuinely interesting but when it came to doing the real exams and stuff I'd just rather fall asleep because it was so damn boring.

If your going to bitch about children not picking something they like maybe you should take a look at your current education system and why they don't like it before you start blaming them just because you can't look at the bigger picture.

The-Nit
06-06-2008, 10:13
1: Watch it
2: Try it
3: Own it
4: Teach it

Thats how you learn stuff.

Viluin
06-06-2008, 11:45
The biggest problem a lot of children face and I can say this from personal experience is that education wise, there are NO options if you don't want to do a certain subject, the vast majority of teachers take the extremist route of "Their way or the high way" and if you say something or do something they don't agree with then your either booted out of school or put in the lowest class possible, I was always in the lowest classes even in some subjects that I reasonably liked like science, in Biology I got a B+ in this test I did which was the highest in my class because I found some of the stuff genuinely interesting but when it came to doing the real exams and stuff I'd just rather fall asleep because it was so damn boring.

If your going to bitch about children not picking something they like maybe you should take a look at your current education system and why they don't like it before you start blaming them just because you can't look at the bigger picture.

I was always in the highest classes and I never did shit. As in, absolutely nothing. It was boring as hell and my eyes were closed more often than not in class. I started studying for my graduation exam the night before without ever doing shit and I still passed.

Then again, none of my subjects actually required me to learn anything. It was mostly physics, math and chemistry. You just had to understand. I didn't even have Biology, and my Dutch and English exams were texts. I only had 5 subjects, although I did get extra math/physics/chemistry.

Proofs were awesome in math btw. Easy as hell. They were part of the extra math I got, and without them I might not have passed my exam lol.

Lethn
06-06-2008, 11:48
It's a damn stupid system though, I think a lot of people are beginning to realize that now.

Viluin
06-06-2008, 11:51
It's a damn stupid system though, I think a lot of people are beginning to realize that now.

I'm not sure what the problem is. I dunno about your country, but here you get to choose a "profile". There are 4 profiles and there's bound to be something you like. Other people in my year had Economy / Geography / History. I didn't. Those subjects suck.

huapua
06-07-2008, 08:18
Holy shit this is hilarious.

I seriously hope the OP was just trolling and having some fun. I almost died when he gave the wrong answer to his own question a few posts later after talking shit about not being able to teach his stupid sister.

If this is for real - although it is incredibly funny (for me), you should probably step down and have her meet with someone that can teach her the right way or else you'll destroy her (notice how I didnt use the word "ruin" because she will still be able to cook and clean).

jsquared89
06-07-2008, 08:33
Im sorry but im just glad im not teaching her.... I would get up and just say your are a fucking dumbass because quite frankly, I think she is. math is not hard, its no harder than learning to use a computer or learning everything to be a doctor.

If you ask me, your sister, who wants to be a doctor or vet, is using wishful thinking to get by. She will not become a vet, unless she is THAT dedicated because i guarantee she will need to take a Calculus class to do one or the other. Calc might I add is easy.... go beyond that and then it gets to be a challenge.

Justinian
06-07-2008, 09:07

thanks.

shut the FUCK UP

Death's Chill
06-07-2008, 09:43
[quote=jsquared89;1387426]Im sorry but im just glad im not teaching her.... I would get up and just say your are a fucking dumbass because quite frankly, I think she is. math is not hard, its no harder than learning to use a computer or learning everything to be a doctor.

I'm fairly tech savvy myself, and studying to become a doctor requires patience, a steady hand, and a fair bit of memory. Math is completely different, and it just doesn't come naturally to me, nor does it for a lot of other people.

If you ask me, your sister, who wants to be a doctor or vet, is using wishful thinking to get by. She will not become a vet, unless she is THAT dedicated because i guarantee she will need to take a Calculus class to do one or the other. Calc might I add is easy.... go beyond that and then it gets to be a challenge.

Yeah, veterinarians certainly do need to make a lot of difficult and intricate calculations all the time! :rolleyes:

Viluin
06-07-2008, 12:33
I'm fairly tech savvy myself, and studying to become a doctor requires patience, a steady hand, and a fair bit of memory. Math is completely different, and it just doesn't come naturally to me, nor does it for a lot of other people.

Being able to pick up things that do not come naturally is a sign of intelligence. But I already knew you were lacking that.

SSguy
06-07-2008, 14:19

Yeah, veterinarians certainly do need to make a lot of difficult and intricate calculations all the time! :rolleyes:

Says the highschool drop out. Wtf would you know about veterinarians? Hang on, wait, let me go wiki it right?

This post has been approved by KingHussein

KingHussein also believes Death's Chill should stfu and not give people any advice until she proves she can survive highschool.

alfaroverall
06-07-2008, 14:24
[QUOTE]

Becoming a vet still requires you to get a Bachelor's degree in this country, and so you still are going to have to take at least a basic calculus course. At my university the lowest level of calculus that you can graduate with (this is for liberal arts and social sciences folk, mind you) is a first semester calculus course that goes into differentiation and its applications.

SSguy
06-07-2008, 14:25

America is about competition. If you can't do the stuff you don't like or are not interested in, you lose. If you can't stay awake in class, you lose again, let the people who actually try get rewarded.

Its not like highschool was hard, I bet majority of highschools don't even go into calculus.

Death's Chill
06-07-2008, 17:04
Being able to pick up things that do not come naturally is a sign of intelligence. But I already knew you were lacking that.

Yes, and there are many things I've picked up that didn't come naturally. however, I had a profound interest in these concepts and subjects, so even when I didn't get it right away, I still wanted to learn more and so I did.

Math is way too boring for me, and it doesn't come naturally. Hence why I have not and never will make any effort to learn it.

Says the highschool drop out. Wtf would you know about veterinarians? Hang on, wait, let me go wiki it right?

KingHussein also believes Death's Chill should stfu and not give people any advice until she proves she can survive highschool.

A vet treats animals. Like doctors, math isn't of great concern, merely an extensive knowledge of the animal and its anatomy.

Also, it's he.

Becoming a vet still requires you to get a Bachelor's degree in this country, and so you still are going to have to take at least a basic calculus course. At my university the lowest level of calculus that you can graduate with (this is for liberal arts and social sciences folk, mind you) is a first semester calculus course that goes into differentiation and its applications.

Exactly my point. You're forced to learn subjects you will never need and for most people, have no interest in. That doesn't work, nor does it make sense, as you'd forget anything you do absorb anyhow.

Teutates
06-07-2008, 17:30

thanks.

Btw your question is wrong as it isn't a line, it's a point. 1 certain X can't have more then 1 Y. Except if you represent a line in X which doesn't have an Y.(forgot how it's called) Then still you shouldn't call it a line.

imo you should stop teaching her as you fail.

Viluin
06-07-2008, 17:37
Btw your question is wrong as it isn't a line, it's a point. 1 certain X can't have more then 1 Y. Except if you represent a line in X which doesn't have an Y.(forgot how it's called) Then still you shouldn't call it a line.

imo you should stop teaching her as you fail.

It's a line when you visualize it. A line that runs perpendicular to the X-axis. Without this information, there is no way the question could be answered. Imo you should stop posting because you fail.

Helgeran
06-07-2008, 17:42
Threads like these always make me feel damn good about myself.

Teutates
06-07-2008, 18:00
It's a line when you visualize it. A line that runs perpendicular to the X-axis. Without this information, there is no way the question could be answered. Imo you should stop posting because you fail.

It's an imaginary line, there's a word for it that describes it(but I don't remember). And it shouldn't be called a line cause you would be raping maths and certainly shouldn't be learnt that way.

Viluin
06-07-2008, 19:02
It's an imaginary line, there's a word for it that describes it(but I don't remember). And it shouldn't be called a line cause you would be raping maths and certainly shouldn't be learnt that way.

I said: It's a line when you visualize it.

http://img384.imageshack.us/img384/7470/38690056zm2.png

Looks like a line to me. The line the OP was talking about was not necessarily a "mathematical line". It was a god damn line. Just a description of what the graph looks like. I used to get similar math questions in High School. They tell you what it looks like / give you a picture, then you have to give them the equation. They never gave us easy stuff like lines though, always those annoying Lissajous things where X and Y had their own equations.

SSguy
06-07-2008, 19:02
A vet treats animals. Like doctors, math isn't of great concern, merely an extensive knowledge of the animal and its anatomy.

Also, it's he.

A vet also treats animals for surgury, drugs, medicine, etc. ITs not all about the anatomy...oh wait, you ARE a vet right? Clearly, you've been through college and know what you are talking about.

Maybe they don't need calculus, but they sure as hell do mathematics. Especially the ones who have to do the research. Yeah, thats right, VETS DO RESEARCH, information about animals does not fly out of someones ass.

Exactly my point. You're forced to learn subjects you will never need and for most people, have no interest in. That doesn't work, nor does it make sense, as you'd forget anything you do absorb anyhow.

No one forced you? Your dumbass dropped out. No one forced you to go back.

Can't handle it? GTFO. Can't take it? GTFO. Get the hell out of the way of the people who don't like it, but learn it anyway to achieve a higher education and deal with it like an adult, not some spoiled child off in lala land that can't even appreciate the fact she has been given a chance at education, let along thinks that the world should cater to her because she doesn't want to learn some basic god damn skills.
But don't bitch like its some god damn crime to go to school and learn about things in general.

Maybe you should get sent to Africa so you can suck a cow's cunt to get milk out of it.

KingHussein says "Death's Chill is a female as far as forumfall is concerned"

Gunther TheBlack
06-07-2008, 19:06

thanks.

She's a female, wtf did you expect.

The female race have no idea about spacial awareness let alone coordinates. There's a reason you don't see female programmers, engineers and mathematicians. The ones that are are lesbians.

Death's Chill
06-07-2008, 19:11
A vet also treats animals for surgury, drugs, medicine, etc. ITs not all about the anatomy...oh wait, you ARE a vet right? Clearly, you've been through college and know what you are talking about.

I know what a vet is and does, it doesn't take a degree to know that.

Maybe they don't need calculus, but they sure as hell do mathematics. Especially the ones who have to do the research. Yeah, thats right, VETS DO RESEARCH, information about animals does not fly out of someones ass.

Uh, no they don't. Research doesn't require mathematics, not in this field. In physics, science, and astrophysics/astronomy, absolutely. Not here though.

No one forced you? Your dumbass dropped out. No one forced you to go back.

That is because I have an understanding mom, and other reasons I can't disclose here. Needless to say, very few people will have the option of leaving that dreadful place, so I got lucky.

Can't handle it? GTFO. Can't take it? GTFO. Get the hell out of the way of the people who don't like it, but learn it anyway to achieve a higher education and deal with it like an adult, not some spoiled child off in lala land that can't even appreciate the fact she has been given a chance at education, let along thinks that the world should cater to her because she doesn't want to learn some basic god damn skills.
But don't bitch like its some god damn crime to go to school and learn about things in general.

Things in general, that you can learn on your own easily, and serve no practical purpose.

Look, if you honestly think that someone who graduated from high school is smarter than me just because they graduated from that horrible place, you're hopeless. The only worth it has is that diploma they give you, and a social aspect too. That's it.

Viluin
06-07-2008, 19:14
Look, if you honestly think that someone who graduated from high school is smarter than me just because they graduated from that horrible place, you're hopeless. The only worth it has is that diploma they give you, and a social aspect too. That's it.

They may not be more intelligent, but the fact remains that you don't know shit and they do.

Gunther TheBlack
06-07-2008, 19:28

That piece of paper sure means a lot of difference in most peoples life's tho.

Kinda sux that some people have the brains to get it but don't make it because of multiple different possible reasons.

Eldest
06-07-2008, 19:32
Saying that her thinking process is the reason why she can't figure this out is really oversimplifying the problem. You have some thinking-outside-the-box to do yourself, mister.

Murphy
06-07-2008, 19:34
Well, duh.
Tell her that she'll be bugging you for the rest of highschool and she needs to find things out by herself.

Now, refuse to help her and don't ever bring a silly question like this up on this type of forum again.

Death's Chill
06-07-2008, 19:36
They may not be more intelligent, but the fact remains that you don't know shit and they do.

Actually I know a fair bit amount subjects that interest me, such as space and some physics. I'm fairly articulate, and all the while remain carefree and actually happy.

Everything I learn and know was obtained in a stress free atmosphere, and it helps that I'm actually interested in the subject matter.

But then, everything I do know in these areas doesn't actually help in any career nor in everyday life, besides making conversation with people. So what is your point?

Viluin
06-07-2008, 19:50
Actually I know a fair bit amount subjects that interest me, such as space and some physics. I'm fairly articulate, and all the while remain carefree and actually happy.

Everything I learn and know was obtained in a stress free atmosphere, and it helps that I'm actually interested in the subject matter.

But then, everything I do know in these areas doesn't actually help in any career nor in everyday life, besides making conversation with people. So what is your point?

So, what do you know?

Death's Chill
06-07-2008, 19:56
So, what do you know?

?

Murphy
06-07-2008, 20:06
Stop fighting with people over the internet.

Viluin
06-07-2008, 20:08
?

Wow, what a great way to make a conversation!

Thankfully you will never have kids (Because you can't afford them when you're homeless), so you won't be able to spread your retarded ways.

Murphy
06-07-2008, 20:10

Thankfully you will never have kids (Because you can't afford them when you're homeless), so you won't be able to spread your retarded ways.

+1

Death's Chill
06-07-2008, 23:15

You asked me what I know. That is just a very vague question. What do you want to know, in specific? Or are you just trying to gather more information to attack me? :rolleyes:

kehmesis
06-07-2008, 23:18
That IS simple equations... It's just plugging numbers into a formula.

Pumpkin
06-08-2008, 10:34
Actually I know a fair bit amount subjects that interest me, such as space and some physics.

Math is completely different, and it just doesn't come naturally to me, nor does it for a lot of other people.

Does not compute. If you are not good at math you will suck at physics.

Bodu
06-08-2008, 11:32
Calculus is good to know even if you forget the rules of integration and all that shit... calculus is everywhere in life so it comes in handy to understand it at some basic level

Death's Chill
06-08-2008, 18:57
Does not compute. If you are not good at math you will suck at physics.

No, studying and researching physics requires excellent math, but understanding what we already know just takes patience, a fair memory and an interest in the subject. :)

Viluin
06-08-2008, 18:59
No, studying and researching physics requires excellent math, but understanding what we already know just takes patience, a fair memory and an interest in the subject. :)

So, what do you know?

Death's Chill
06-08-2008, 19:14
So, what do you know?

Again, what are you talking about? You want me to list everything I know? Are you insane?

Besides, what is the point? It doesn't serve as proof of knowledge as anyone could just wiki some stuff. I don't know where you're trying to go with this.

Bravot
06-08-2008, 19:17
Must admit, that was a very vague request.

Malhavok
06-08-2008, 19:22

Not that many degrees require calculus actually and the minimum requirements to get into graduate school are significantly lower than their normal undergrad majors. For example most vet schools do not require calculus where as most biological science majors do require calculus-for-retards. You really don't need any math to meet the minimum requirements of vet school. You'll suffer immensely without it because toxicology/virology/genetics are all heavy on math, but they simplify it and teach it informally. Your chances of getting into a competitive vet school with the minimum requirements are slim to none as well. They're even more competitive than medical schools.

So... yah, you don't absolutely need math. You have to be able to understand it and learn it in a much faster paced environment than you would in undergraduate school, but its not generally required. That said, if you found high school math to be difficult and you actually worked at it... well you're too stupid to be a vet. The statistics involved in genetics is much more difficult to grasp for most people than basic calculus. And by basic calculus I mean math/engineering majors complete series, not the fake calculus they dumb down for social science majors. 'Course I don't really know how vet school genetics compares to undergraduate genetics for geneticists... it might be easier.