PDA

View Full Version : Gaming: dont buy Age of Conan (my review & cancellation)

Pages : [1] 2

Ammon777
05-27-2008, 01:51
I tried. I really did give it a hard-core try to like AoC. I bought the game. I installed fucking 30 gigs onto my precious harddrive space. I struggled through the game not because it was challenging, but because it was tedious. I played on 7 characters for about 5 days. I got my main to over level 30. I tuned the graphics to be able to barely tolerate the ceaseless stuttering and pauses in gameplay due to my decent system that couldnt handle the game engine, apparently.

I tried to pretend that this was sorta fun, which worked for about 1 day, but I was willing to see if it got any better -- beyond Tortage, the starting city. After that things glided steadily downhill for me. I played up to level 32 on my main character. I left Tortage thinking, "I sure hope this gets better because I feel claustrophobic in this world. Its too restrictive and too zone-based. I hope the world opens up after Tortage and everything will be fine." However, the entire game is just like Tortage: every next village has the same layout design philosophies and quest content stranglation just like Tortage. All of it is more or less instanced; it is extremely closed-in areas, it doesnt even FEEL like a world. It FEELS like an endless level-based quest-focused theme-park -- of course, thats exactly what it is. The zones are so restrictive that you feel strangled: Age of Conan is the opposite of a seemless world. In fact, I suspect that the zones are entirely created based upon the quests, the world serves the quests. So you dont have any sense of a "realistic world," you have the opposite. Sorry but World of Warcraft (even with all its faults) at least feels like a believable worldscape, while Age of Conan does not.

All the points that our developer friend Tasos made in a recent dev journal concerning the differences between Darkfall and other games are true. In fact, Age of Conan is the most likely candidate for some of those glaring stereotypical flaws that Tasos pointed out as fundamental differences. Age of Conan's combat system is HORRIBLE. Its an ARCADE game, seriously. You waste your time hitting a series of up to three keys to execute a single ability -- seems to me that is a waste of effort because you arent using any situational, strategic, or tactical skills at all; instead you are basically playing WoW with an additional arcade hinderance. This hinderance drastically affects your executions in PvP because... its a time-consuming hinderance. Its combat is so arcade-like that its safe to assume that Age of Conan was not really built for the PC, but rather for money-making on the X-Box 360 system. Expect it to be a huge hit on X-Box due to its OUTSTANDING media reviews on the PC! 10 outta 10 for sure !!! /sarcasm

IMHO, while Age of Conan sucks for (mostly) intelligent people like DFO hopefuls, it will still retain a relatively large playerbase because it has nice graphics and a bunch of quest content -- think Lord of the Rings. Unfortunately many people dont even realize that Darkfall would be a million times better because they cannot grasp Darkfall's concepts that are above and beyond the Everquest formula.

Once again, let me stress that Age of Conan is completely zoned, quest-driven with arcade-style fighting system and essentially bad PvP because its based on levels and *gasp* a console'ish arcade fighting system. Its not real-time, it does NOT take skill.

Once again, we have an Everquest clone, this time in Hyborea. Once again, the PvP in it is completely unworthy of PvPness because its not based on skill and the combat is *shock* not real-time, its queued actions just like every MMO since Everquest and World of Warcraft, only with the additional burden of an arcade mini-game infused into it, making it NOT more complex and engaging, but instead TEDIOUS and ANNOYING.

As usual in the past 7 years, my hopes rest entirely on Darkfall. My experiences in Age of Conan reinforce my belief that Darkfall will most likely be the best MMO in this century if it delivers on even half of what it promises.

ALL HAIL DARKFALL !!!

Tiarilir
05-27-2008, 01:57
Hail Darkfall! Hail Tasos!

Exidium
05-27-2008, 01:59
wow, I never intended on playing AoC, but most people said beyond Tortage, the game really opens up. You are definitely going against the grain, but I am not surprised you feel that way. I probably would too.

Ex

Ammon777
05-27-2008, 01:59
Oops I didnt mean to say century, I meant decade. lol

Ammon777
05-27-2008, 02:00
wow, I never intended on playing AoC, but most people said beyond Tortage, the game really opens up. You are definitely going against the grain, but I am not surprised you feel that way. I probably would too.

Ex
Actually it doesnt open up because its not a seemless world. Its zone-based. In what sense does a zone-based game open up when you cant see another zone from the zone you are in.

The only way it "opens up" is that you gain access to more zones. Thats what they mean, and IMO that doesnt make the world any more "open."

Exidium
05-27-2008, 02:04
Actually it doesnt open up because its not a seemless world. Its zone-based. In what sense does a zone-based game open up when you cant see another zone from the zone you are in.

that is terrible. Sorry you had to drop money on it to find this out. I will stick with Team Fortress 2 for some quick action until DF comes out.

The trend with MMO's is to copy, update and resell.

Why they never did this with AC is beyond me though. Maybe I am spoiled because I started with AC, but there has not been an MMO to match it imvho.

Tharkon Fargor
05-27-2008, 02:04
Thanks for the Review mate
Had the same feeling about the combat system when i saw it on the videos.

Beeblebrox
05-27-2008, 02:06
Poor Conan, he would be so sad now, if he wasn't dead and all...

Bunkah
05-27-2008, 02:07
I've made it to level 13... I just can't stand the game anymore..............

GG 1st free month

Ammon777
05-27-2008, 02:13
that is terrible. Sorry you had to drop money on it to find this out. I will stick with Team Fortress 2 for some quick action until DF comes out.

The trend with MMO's is to copy, update and resell.

Why they never did this with AC is beyond me though. Maybe I am spoiled because I started with AC, but there has not been an MMO to match it imvho.
Oh thanks :D

Yeah I started with AC too, I dunno why nobody payed attention to it. It was a good game, I remember running along a beach every day killing water elementals trying to get a pyreal mote to sell for big bucks. :D

III [C*D]
05-27-2008, 02:16
I'm surprised you made it that far, I only made it to level 16 before I realized Pirates of the Caribbean online was just as good of a game.

The questing is the same run back and forth, collect this or kill that recycled over and over. The grind/treadmill is in full effect. The Suedo nudity that is supposed to draw in a "mature" crowd seems to have done the exact opposite, apparently somewhere down the line it's mature to be immature?

The pvp, or the abomination that AoC's pvp is finds you being spawn camped everywhere you go that is not a safe zone. At one point in a dungeon I found myself literally spawn camped for 30 minutes, a guy just stood there and killed you as you loaded back into the game.

The "next gen combat sytem" is really just a horrible gimic that makes you pay just a little bit of extra attention with the horrible "shield system."

It's pretty sad that Mount and Blade with literally no budget was able to create a better combat system.

Beeblebrox
05-27-2008, 02:28
The way you guys are saying, it looks like Pong has more pvp action than AoC. I'm getting my atari back.

Krylas
05-27-2008, 02:31
Good review, and it really diminished any thoughts I had of buying the game.
But...I still feel compleled to say it...
No shit?

III [C*D]
05-27-2008, 02:32
oh a tip:

If you are having trouble returning the game here is a tip. Exchange your opened copy for an unopened copy (site problems with the install, because as far as I know most people had the same problem with the 2nd disc not installing properly and having to run a verify/repair to fix it.)

Take your unopened exchanged copy to another location and exchange it for another game or store credit.

I was very pissed the first time I tried and was told its a copywrite violation to return an opened copy. As far as I'm concerned all games should have a money back guarantees. If the game sucks, we shouldn't have be SOL for buying it. That is one area where I have a massive amount of respect for DF, with them allowing people to try it for free (or so they say.) I think that says a lot about their confidence in the product.

alfaroverall
05-27-2008, 02:32
The way you guys are saying, it looks like Pong has more pvp action than AoC. I'm getting my atari back.
Seriously, if plasma pong (http://www.fun-motion.com/physics-games/plasma-pong/) were online, I'd probably be having a lot of fun with it.

Slypieguy
05-27-2008, 02:45
The constant zoning reminds me of guildwars. It'll keep me busy until DF though, for shits and giggles.

Jarkovii
05-27-2008, 02:47
As a former tech tester for AoC. I can confirm as an expert witness that AoC is fill of anti-win.

Ammon777
05-27-2008, 02:52
The constant zoning reminds me of guildwars. It'll keep me busy until DF though, for shits and giggles.
Note that each instance of giggle will require an extra 20 seconds to load your high-rez lip animations.

Littlee
05-27-2008, 02:56
well u stopped me from buying it so i can play it waiting for DF and if u dont know what DF is ur official noob :D

GRCPan
05-27-2008, 03:19
I had preordered AoC, but when I got to play the beta I cancelled my preorder asap, for the same reasons.
It just sucks.

Uzik
05-27-2008, 03:20
If you don't look at it as an MMO, and take it for guild wars with better combat, it is fun enough.

As a bear shaman guy I've had a good deal of thought and consideration into my attacks. Repositioning to hit more than one guy at a time is another thing as well.

Is this game awesome? No. Is it good? No. Is it worth $50? Sure. It is at least as entertaining as going to see a few movies.

If anything, level up to 20 and just sit and continuously gank n00bs on the White Sands Island.

Kekshorts
05-27-2008, 03:21
Note that each instance of giggle will require an extra 20 seconds to load your high-rez lip animations.

win

Grannus
05-27-2008, 03:41
;1360762']As far as I'm concerned all games should have a money back guarantees. If the game sucks, we shouldn't have be SOL for buying it. That is one area where I have a massive amount of respect for DF, with them allowing people to try it for free (or so they say.)
So just wait until it releases and you hear the feedback before buying it. If you need to be the first on the block to have it, you run the risk of buying a turd.

As for DF allowing people to try it for free, a first month free covers that. It doesn't mean you can take it back to the store free. That's not how retail operates.

End Dream
05-27-2008, 03:44
Ive been planning to not buy AOC for a long time....

Dazarthas
05-27-2008, 03:44
Don't worry, Ammon. You're safe now.

Cortanya
05-27-2008, 03:55
- It's even more instance based than WoW, to the level of GW.

- It's constantly reading from the HD. The constant pagefile hits cause horrible stuttering, dropping into the single digit FPS at times. I could always get moar RAM, but this is the first game to put pressure on 2GB.

- Because of a possible memory leak in the current version, I can only play for ~1 hour at a time (if I'm lucky), before I get an "out of memory" error.

- The "real combat" system, which was supposed to distinguish AoC from cookiecutter WoW clones, fails to impress. It accomplishes its goal...barely. The only new thing it brings to the table is getting rid of auto-attack, and the gimmicky triple shields and button press combos.
We want real combat, not "real combat". We want real combat, not buttonpushing minigames.

- The PVP system is retarded, with no goals (at low levels anyway), and allows people to be spawncamped for hours. I don't blame players who "grief" people, it's the game's fault.
At least it lets you attack whoever you want... but nothing else. No cities, dynamic economies, territorial conquest, etc.

- The game is heavily level based. If there's real PvP at level 80, that's useless to me at level 21, isn't it? Maybe there IS sieging and huge battles at level 80. The point is, if there are, I sure don't know about it. What the fuck are levels 1-79 for, a big time sink? And this was supposed to be different from WoW... how?

- The combat is still (character) level and gear dependant. This was supposed to be a (player) skill based game? Oh sure, it adds maybe 2 minor improvements over WoW, but come on. You beat WoW. Is that something to be proud of?
You still have "targetting" and magic heat-seeking projectiles. You still have stat based diceroll combat.

- Overall, the game still feels like a roller coaster, theme park, arcade ride. A far cry from the totally free, open, sandboxy Darkfall. Remind me again why there were any swipes taken at all between AoC and DF? The two are nothing alike, and cannot possibly be in competition!

It seems to me, the AoC/DF conflict can only be explained by AoC purporting themselves to be the "something new", "something different", "the Anti-WoW". However, what they ending up making was not something new, or different. It is very much like WoW, and where it differs from WoW, it's similar to Guild Wars. The new things they bring to the table are entirely superficial: boobs and "real" combat gimmicky minigames.

Fortunately, I never had hopes for AoC to be a DF replacement; just a timewaster.

For the first 21 levels:
6.5/10, would be 8/10 if the game ran perfectly smoothly.

Rokolith
05-27-2008, 03:58
The game is decent to me because I'm an asshole with more enemies than I can count. I am that guy spawn camping youi for 10 mins just to raise my kill count and make you feel like shit. No, I would no do this is there was an alignment system.

paade
05-27-2008, 04:11
ive now heard from 5 different people, all caiming to have either reached the cap or close to it, that higher levels quests are nowhere to be found and those few quests that there are, are bugged to hell. They all say the same, there is nothing to do once you hit the end game. The higher you go, the shittier the game gets.
Failcom lied and just tried to get as many boxes sold as possible, paid few mags to give good reviews and is now using these to boast how ubar their game is.
PC version was nothing more than paid2beta. Xbox is the real target here.

Eskareon
05-27-2008, 04:13
Seriously, if plasma pong (http://www.fun-motion.com/physics-games/plasma-pong/) were online, I'd probably be having a lot of fun with it.

http://www.liquid.se/pong/

Krylas
05-27-2008, 04:15
I tried.
But did you give it the ol' college try?

alfaroverall
05-27-2008, 04:17
http://www.liquid.se/pong/
This is not plasma pong.

Razel
05-27-2008, 04:33
i played the closed beta for many months and would have never bought the game nor played the open beta, complete waste of hd space imo

Ferox
05-27-2008, 04:34
those of us who played the beta knew these things months and months ago.. and warned everyone :P

itza
05-27-2008, 05:02
ive now heard from 5 different people, all caiming to have either reached the cap or close to it, that higher levels quests are nowhere to be found and those few quests that there are, are bugged to hell. Yeah, this is also what I've heard. A quote (translated) from our guild IRC from a guildmate playing AoC:
[09:43] <xxxxx> well I'm going to make an alt next and wait if funcom brings more content to the game
[09:43] <xxxxx> I'm not going to grind from 50 to 80
[09:44] <xxxxx> 50-80 you get probably 4 levels from quests, the rest you have to grind
[09:44] <xxxxx> the game is only ready up to level 40

...and that's a game that is already released and in stores. More than ever I think now that it was a great decision not to get the game as soon as possible, but rather wait until I hear proper comments of the live game and then maybe join later if the response is good.

Aragoni
05-27-2008, 05:07
Told ya Ammon777 that Age Of Conan would suck :p

Exidium
05-27-2008, 05:17
Oh thanks :D

Yeah I started with AC too, I dunno why nobody payed attention to it. It was a good game, I remember running along a beach every day killing water elementals trying to get a pyreal mote to sell for big bucks. :D

sounds like Eastham beach back in the day. So did you never save your motes and venture up to Crater? My first character ever was called Silentblade and he was spec axe and xbow... lol. I knew I wanted to be xbow and I loved the way the atlan axe looked.

I saved my motes and sold my shadow poop. Speaking of shadow armor though, not to hijack, but I am just thinking out loud that it would be great if the Devs had certain items that were limited, the way there was only one set of Nexus, or limited Matty robes. It does not need to be anything game altering, but just weapon/armor trends that reflect the time period, so that way 2 years in to the game older players might be able to sport "historical items" no longer attainable other than through trade/death.

/just a thought

Dark Necron
05-27-2008, 05:23

Try Exteel...you might like it if you like Gundam...It's free too.

Ignignokt
05-27-2008, 05:39
I'm glad I didn't dump the money on it, but my reasoning was that I don't have 32 GB free for a single game I may or may not like.

Weeking
05-27-2008, 05:53
Once again, let me stress that Age of Conan is completely zoned, quest-driven with arcade-style fighting system and essentially bad PvP because its based on levels and *gasp* a console'ish arcade fighting system. Its not real-time, it does NOT take skill.

It's important to point out that levels actually mean very little in PvP. 2 lvl 25 can kill a lvl 40 character. You also have PvP levels. And you can't see the class of enemy players, you have to guess.

The instancing will get more like WoW in higher levels I think. When people spend their time in group and raid dungeons, there is less stress on the zone outside and there will be fewer instances of it. Right now, it is lots and lots of instances of Tortage as there is many lowbies. But it will still be zones and not open like DFO. They said it was a choice so that they could have more higher quality stuff there and still get performance. So they could not have made the same game in quality and amount of graphics if they made it open. But here is me thinking....

Maybe, just maybe, in a few years when the game starts to run easily on most computers, they can dump the zones and make it open as it should be, and retain all the graphics and such. They'd have to redesign the map a little bit, though.

Ammon777
05-27-2008, 06:10
sounds like Eastham beach back in the day. So did you never save your motes and venture up to Crater? My first character ever was called Silentblade and he was spec axe and xbow... lol. I knew I wanted to be xbow and I loved the way the atlan axe looked.

I saved my motes and sold my shadow poop. Speaking of shadow armor though, not to hijack, but I am just thinking out loud that it would be great if the Devs had certain items that were limited, the way there was only one set of Nexus, or limited Matty robes. It does not need to be anything game altering, but just weapon/armor trends that reflect the time period, so that way 2 years in to the game older players might be able to sport "historical items" no longer attainable other than through trade/death.

/just a thought
My character's name was Dog of War, he used swords and heavy armor and healing spells plus various other spell schools. Hmm long time ago. Uhhh I think I was at the southeastern edge of the main continent at some little town next to the ocean. I started out in the northeastern-most town, forget the name. I sold my motes in a cave where there were portals to all the towns. I remember a lot of people were there (in the cave), it was the hot spot to sell stuff to other players. I sold the motes for a shitload, but I was poor overall. I would buy magical trinkets and junk with the money, lawl. I usually got about 1 mote per day. One day I was really lucky and got 3.

I remember matty robes though, lawl; I was given one by some guy but I lost it to some shaggy four legged beasts that killed me in two hits. My corpse was camped by the beasts so I couldnt get the matty robe back. :-/

I really enjoyed cooking in AC for some reason. I would make a lot of bread. lol.

Ammon777
05-27-2008, 06:11
Maybe, just maybe, in a few years when the game starts to run easily on most computers, they can dump the zones and make it open as it should be, and retain all the graphics and such. They'd have to redesign the map a little bit, though.
OMG they arent going to change the game like that when the entire infrastructure is based on the way it is, dude. :-/

Valroth
05-27-2008, 06:19
It's important to point out that levels actually mean very little in PvP. 2 lvl 25 can kill a lvl 40 character. You also have PvP levels. And you can't see the class of enemy players, you have to guess.

The instancing will get more like WoW in higher levels I think. When people spend their time in group and raid dungeons, there is less stress on the zone outside and there will be fewer instances of it. Right now, it is lots and lots of instances of Tortage as there is many lowbies. But it will still be zones and not open like DFO. They said it was a choice so that they could have more higher quality stuff there and still get performance. So they could not have made the same game in quality and amount of graphics if they made it open. But here is me thinking....

Why bother?

Attau
05-27-2008, 06:34
My character's name was Dog of War, he used swords and heavy armor and healing spells plus various other spell schools. Hmm long time ago. Uhhh I think I was at the southeastern edge of the main continent at some little town next to the ocean. I started out in the northeastern-most town, forget the name. I sold my motes in a cave where there were portals to all the towns. I remember a lot of people were there (in the cave), it was the hot spot to sell stuff to other players. I sold the motes for a shitload, but I was poor overall. I would buy magical trinkets and junk with the money, lawl. I usually got about 1 mote per day. One day I was really lucky and got 3.

I remember matty robes though, lawl; I was given one by some guy but I lost it to some shaggy four legged beasts that killed me in two hits. My corpse was camped by the beasts so I couldnt get the matty robe back. :-/

I really enjoyed cooking in AC for some reason. I would make a lot of bread. lol.

You started in Holtburg. Any character could wear any kind of armor... but you prolly trained melee defense and just forget what it meant. The cave was called "Subway" by almost all servers and was just outside arwic.

Notice: I miss AC :/.
I played darktide = win.

Weeking
05-27-2008, 06:35
Why bother?

Redesigning the map?

Like I said, Funcom thought about/wanted to make the game open (like wow), but because of technical issues, chose to have zone transitions with loading screens.

I meant things like connecting the end of one zone with another and adding filler space between them if needed. Not going to the extremes of removing the instancing.

Even if the game forces you to pass through a long narrow corridor to get to the next zone, that is an improvement if it gets rid of loading screens.

Galadourn
05-27-2008, 06:40
Redesigning the map?

Like I said, Funcom thought about/wanted to make the game open (like wow), but because of technical issues, chose to have zone transitions with loading screens.

I meant things like connecting the end of one zone with another and adding filler space between them if needed. Not going to the extremes of removing the instancing.

Even if the game forces you to pass through a long narrow corridor to get to the next zone, that is an improvement if it gets rid of loading screens.

the core 'flaw' behind the design of AoC is legacy software and technology. Apparently Funcom based AoC on AO server code, with all its faults and limitations.

I very very much doubt Funcom is going to change anything significantly in AoC, since they won't be able to keep up with the updates required for this game (after all they have promised to bring more zones to the players, so having to redesign everything from scratch sounds like an impossible feat).

Rycon
05-27-2008, 06:55
Some classes suck till lvl 40 especially ranger.For me my experience improved lvl 40 +.Friends and guild make the game much more fun.I have to agree that client crashes and low fps issues can make the game boring especially when you try to log in and get the 3 minute que! (i play on fury which is a fully loaded ffapvp server).

All in all even with the bugs,crashes etc etc this game has so much potential.We can all see that the game rushed launched and needed about 2months or a month for tweaking.

If you do not like it now try it 2 months from now.Trust me you will see a different game.The developers are patching the client everyday and it seems that they are pretty good updaters.You have been waiting Df for 8 years right?why not wait a little bit more for this game and give it another try?

Bdw about the game being linear there is only one area in which i found linear and that is the border ranges.Every other area does not feel linear at all.Kospyh province (or something like that) is such a big place in which sometimes i lost my friends. It is not linear at all.More different places for each level range to level then wow and even though they are instanced it is still fully packed.Trust me when you enter fields of the dead on an ffa server you are going to fucking swear with all the players running around you fighting for mobs and killing each other :lmao:. "instances such".... no they don't they suit age of conan well.Without them every minute will be like the battle of troy

Proper Talent
05-27-2008, 06:55
Agree w/ the general suck concences. I can't even run the game above 20fps unless its on the lowest settings. Even the gore sucks, it feels forced into the game, and i love gore.

Zwarp
05-27-2008, 09:54
;1360762']
I was very pissed the first time I tried and was told its a copywrite violation to return an opened copy. As far as I'm concerned all games should have a money back guarantees. If the game sucks, we shouldn't have be SOL for buying it. That is one area where I have a massive amount of respect for DF, with them allowing people to try it for free (or so they say.) I think that says a lot about their confidence in the product.

Haha if you hate them so much, do as a friend of mine once did :
you just have to know someone working in a box industry to seal the game once again, so then you get your money back.
(my friend removed the discs before sealing it, it's a bastard thing, but at least you will prevent the customer from spending time playing this)

Arkh
05-27-2008, 10:13
Where is Jin ?

dirtknap
05-27-2008, 11:42
i'm surprised so many of you even bothered to buy the game...

Galadourn
05-27-2008, 13:44
--- snip---

jonyak
05-27-2008, 13:46
I love the game and I will continue to play it. it is not so much a mmo as it is a multiplayer rpg....

and after tortage the zones are MASSIVE. I have never seen such large zones in a mmorpg.

and if you think these guys released an unfinished game, you guys obviously never played vanguard.

Shadowoak
05-27-2008, 13:46
Itemization in AoC rocks!

http://img367.imageshack.us/img367/1...clones1si3.jpg
http://img132.imageshack.us/img132/6...clones2ek7.jpg

learn2link

Galadourn
05-27-2008, 13:47
learn2link

Itemization in AoC rocks!

http://img367.imageshack.us/img367/14/attackoftheclones1si3.jpg
http://img132.imageshack.us/img132/6184/attackoftheclones2ek7.jpg

there, fixed

Galadourn
05-27-2008, 14:08
You realize their all in their 20's right? That means 9/10, their all getting their gear from quests so unless a level 20 robe drops that gives them +999 To OMGWTFHAX?, their gonna be using the best gear they have.

that's what poor itemization means; few choices between quest (amongst other) rewards for certain level ranges...

Staatsschutz
05-27-2008, 14:22
i wont buy aoc, and be it only for those 2 things:

- tier 2 cities not implemented yet, will be implemented later

- battle keeps not implemented yet, will be implemented later

i have enough of games where a fundamental part of the game "is not implemented yet but will be implemented later" :bang::bang::bang::bang:

IcePillow
05-27-2008, 14:24
I'm lucky, my computer has crashed so im not able to play it. :D

Arkh
05-27-2008, 14:55
You realize their all in their 20's right? That means 9/10, their all getting their gear from quests so unless a level 20 robe drops that gives them +999 To OMGWTFHAX?, their gonna be using the best gear they have.
Their.

Lethn
05-27-2008, 15:27
Very good review, ignore the fanbois that'll likely come trolling on the forums, if a game is shit then the world needs to know and quite frankly I think Funcom are outright scamming people by pulling off this crap.

It's not just Darkfall but Independent Developers that I think will be our saviors, because they're the only ones who will think outside the box so I'm keeping an eye on games like Darkfall, Earthrise and Jumpgate Evolution, games like this are what will bring us back to when games were fun.

Arkh
05-27-2008, 15:45
Thank you for correcting my grammar. I didn't think anyone would understand what I was getting across, but thanks to your correction, It's completely understandable now!

Oh, and the terrorists have truly won.

c wut i did thar?

Edit:: Sorry, you didnt ACTUALLY correct my grammar, you just pointed it out
Pointing finger, not solving the problem. They say it's what you need to become a good politician so I'm exercising.

SCUM
05-27-2008, 15:56
All the spawncamp crying in this thread just convinced me to buy it. Back ordering it as we speak, most stores seem to be sold out.

Roll on PvE or stfu, apart from SB, AoC is probably the best PvP game on the market.

jonyak
05-27-2008, 15:56
Very good review, ignore the fanbois that'll likely come trolling on the forums, if a game is shit then the world needs to know and quite frankly I think Funcom are outright scamming people by pulling off this crap.

It's not just Darkfall but Independent Developers that I think will be our saviors, because they're the only ones who will think outside the box so I'm keeping an eye on games like Darkfall, Earthrise and Jumpgate Evolution, games like this are what will bring us back to when games were fun.

so because some people enjoy it they are fanbois? and stupid?

I say ignore the haters that have already been trolling these boards.

I mean you all are obsessed with a game that has almost no information about. you worship it like it is the second coming of christ when all you have is "faith" that it will be what they tell. for all you know it will be the same failure you so like to bash on.

you guys are rediculous.

LanMandragon
05-27-2008, 16:01
A lot of you need to buy better computers.

Game runs great, Im having a ball at 43 with the guild.

Still waiting for Darkfall though.

Jape
05-27-2008, 16:03
All valid points (i dislike heavy instancing and zoning myself too), but i disagree with the combat system.

Its pretty basic stuff for casters (you still target enemies and and blast away), but for melee, its (IMO) nice leap forward (from wow/eq/daoc etc combat systems).

Because:
-Theres no auto attacks (finally)
-All attacks are area effect.
--> Meaning you dont even have to target anything to hit it.
--> Also meaning you have to aim your attacks to get maximum damage and to hit multiple opponents.
-Different weapon types have different rages (polearms, 2 handers, 1handers).
-Combat is fast paced. Sure it can make it feel like arcade stuff, but atleast it doesnt make you fall asleep. Which is kinda nice IMO.

So far, AoC has kept me entertained. Cant say how long it will last though.

Lethn
05-27-2008, 16:05
so because some people enjoy it they are fanbois? and stupid?

I say ignore the haters that have already been trolling these boards.

I mean you all are obsessed with a game that has almost no information about. you worship it like it is the second coming of christ when all you have is "faith" that it will be what they tell. for all you know it will be the same failure you so like to bash on.

you guys are rediculous.

Yes we really are 'rediculous' Darkfall isn't the only game I'm watching, I have my eyes on others which to be honest are looking a tad more promising than Darkfall at this point ( hate to admit it but I'm talking feature wise and just general setting as well sci-fi ftw ;) ) and at least I'm not the one who's trolling about a game being a failure I can understand some people might enjoy the game for it's PvE but yes, a lot of the people are probably just fanbois obsessed with the Age of Conan franchised or are just killing time.

Please learn to not shove words into other peoples mouths, I've seen a disturbing rise in the amount of people doing that lately.

jonyak
05-27-2008, 16:08
Yes we really are 'rediculous' Darkfall isn't the only game I'm watching, I have my eyes on others which to be honest are looking a tad more promising than Darkfall at this point ( hate to admit it but I'm talking feature wise and just general setting as well sci-fi ftw ;) ) and at least I'm not the one who's trolling about a game being a failure I can understand some people might enjoy the game for it's PvE but yes, a lot of the people are probably just fanbois obsessed with the Age of Conan franchised or are just killing time.

Please learn to not shove words into other peoples mouths, I've seen a disturbing rise in the amount of people doing that lately.

where did I shove words into your mouth?

you are one of the most rabid darkfall fanbois I have yet to see.

AOC is fun if you play it as it is meant to be played. if you take it for what it is and don;t expect it to be the greatest thing ever.

Fro
05-27-2008, 16:10
Dont think ill bother buying AoC, not my kind of game but i can understand why some people will like it.

r4nge
05-27-2008, 18:06
I am playing out of desperation. Yes, its built for xbox. Yes, its a pathetic quest treadmill. I literally keep the map open and run from quest marker to quest marker without reading shit. lol at Conan devs thinking this piece of crap could hold a candle to Darkfall.

Bugs are the least of AoC's worries... its called game design.

Loadafreak
05-27-2008, 18:13
I agree, this game is a waste of time.

I got the game, and have a lvl 60 demonologist, but rerolled a priest because my class is useless.

My thoughts on the game are pretty similar.

It definitely feels like a console game, a broken console game. up to 40 you grind quests, then the quests run out and you're grinding mobs for usually 4 levels at a time (I spend lvl 52-58 grinding in an instanced cave, running in a circle killing things as they respawned. wtb more quests/content?)

the game is LINEAR as hell. WoW is more open than this, sad to say. at lvl X you WILL be in zone Y, no choice, no option. Hey I hit lvl X, guess that means I'm off to zone Y.

the classes are... broken as hell. I rerolled a PRIEST, because they outdamage the MAGE classes. the priests atm, are the only class worth playing. They have the best heals, cc, and more damage than the mages. they can do 10 mob pulls while demos(the supposed AOE class) can only handle 3.

as for being skill based... no. Generally if you choose the right class, you will win in pvp. at lvl 60, I used 4 buttons in every pvp fight. Sometimes you will be 1 shot, sometimes you will 1 shot others. there are many 'chance' based feats also, which can determine the fight if they proc.

Again sad to say: WoW needs more skill than this game. the dungeons are harder in WoW: here most of your attacks are aoe, and the healers aoe heal(don't even have to target lol) I can't see raiding being any different.

aoc is wow with tits, blood, and the removal of any sort of tactics in combat.

there is grinding, there is run-of-the-mill quests, there is BGs that you grind to get points.

only cool thing is the city building, which is bugged atm, and also a grind, and nothing compared to what darkfall promises.

there is a reason their forums aren't open to the public...

Aragoni
05-27-2008, 18:16
I got the game, and have a lvl 60 demonologist,

Already?! Chill tha fuck out and go outside. :eek:

greenman101
05-27-2008, 18:25
I actually feel bad for a lot of you guys who think DF is going to be the messiah of video games. Darkfall is going to collapse under it's own weight when it's released. The tiny company running it can not support the MMO world being thrust upon it. Think shadowbane.

Ammon777
05-27-2008, 18:39
I actually feel bad for a lot of you guys who think DF is going to be the messiah of video games. Darkfall is going to collapse under it's own weight when it's released. The tiny company running it can not support the MMO world being thrust upon it. Think shadowbane.
While I respect that you are allowed ur own opinion, you are no prophet and you cant tell me that you can see the future.

I actually feed bad for a lot of you guys who think DF is going to collapse under its own weight when its released. Darkfall is going to be the messiah of video games.

See what I did there? IMHO you dont know fucking shit, greenman. You are making far more unfounded assumptions than I am. I base my entire beliefs on previous evidence of Darkfall through reading dev journals, seeing the videos, paying attention to everything the developers say for 7 years now.

You sound like the guys over at MMORPG.com. Maybe you should leave forumfall and go over the MMORPG.com forums where you will be believed and stop spreading your discontent here. Just a suggestion.

Suraknar
05-27-2008, 18:40
Thanks for the review, I somehow thought AoC would be another Themepark game targeting WoW type players that were fed up of WoW.

Good for Funcom, all the best to them, its not what I personally seek, and Darkfall seems to have it instead.

Suraknar
05-27-2008, 18:47

And who is to say that Darkfall couldn't do like Pirates of the Burning Sea's Flying Lab Software, and pull a Contract with Sony Third Party Program, that leaves Aventurine hold 100% of its IP and game rights, yet enjoy all the Billing, Localization and Distribution support and experience that Sony has?

There are many other Publishers out there that would be willing too, so that fact that the Dev Company is small means nothing in todays MMORPG landscape, Shadowbane maybe a precedent but we are several years down the line in a very much flourishing MMO market, things have changed ;)

Vaisnt
05-27-2008, 18:59
Age of conan really is not that bad. Some people may not like it. Before you go taking anyones opinion go try it for yourself. The combat is at least interesting unlike world of warcraft or guildwars. Before you go judging games perhaps you should broaden your spectrum of games and realize that this is an MMORPG not just a RPG; it doesn't say MMOSANDBOX.

By the way Shadowbane sucks ass.

shnedit
05-27-2008, 19:00
The thing that makes me lol is that i cant be hit in water . grief > goto water /lol.

Aragon
05-27-2008, 19:02
http://pc.gamezone.com/gzreviews/r26352.htm

Makes me wonder if some of these reviewers is actually payed by Funcom?

Vaisnt
05-27-2008, 19:05

Why the fuck did you just make another goddamn topic when theres one right below it?

shnedit
05-27-2008, 19:05
Every once in a while a game comes along that is bold enough to break the mold of the genre to which it is cast. The game takes some fresh approaches and gives players pause to re-think previous perceptions.

Age of Conan – Hyborian Adventures, from Funcom, is one of those titles.

I only needed to read this lol.

Ammon777
05-27-2008, 19:06

Agreed. Additionally, most reviews from gaming media only care about pixels and shaders. Gameplay always takes a back seat to that. When Darkfall comes out these same guys will probably give it a 5 out of 10 because it wont have levels and the ganking will be too rampant, the world too open, and they cant understand the reasons why there will be full loot. Yay.

Loadafreak
05-27-2008, 19:06
The thing that makes me lol is that i cant be hit in water . grief > goto water /lol.

yea. they dont even have mobs that can follow you into the water. One time I got too many crocodiles on me... so I went to the water and they couldn't follow :lmao:

Razel
05-27-2008, 19:07
Age of conan really is not that bad. Some people may not like it. Before you go taking anyones opinion go try it for yourself. The combat is at least interesting unlike world of warcraft or guildwars. Before you go judging games perhaps you should broaden your spectrum of games and realize that this is an MMORPG not just a RPG; it doesn't say MMOSANDBOX.

By the way Shadowbane sucks ass.

Not everybuddy is noobs at gaming, some even write reviews on games.... and i wouldn't waste my money on teh box art for aoc let alone the game itself. To say 'go by the game and decide for yourself' is fine and all however the buyer should beaware that aoc is and has had false advertisement since day one. It is what the people descirbed above, a pve console game as was intended full of instances lvls, classes, eye candy etc with no innovation what-so-ever. The 'pvp' is worth mentioning as they have 'sold' it as a pvp game from the beginning but their execution of said 'pvp' is probably the worst i have ever seen since lineage 2. In a word... aoc is garbage. The new will wear off of aoc soon and people will be kicking themselves in the asses trying to get their money back at the store or trading the box for a coffee mug etc.

Ammon777
05-27-2008, 19:09
Shadowbane was better than Age of Conan.

Aragon
05-27-2008, 19:09
Why the fuck did you just make another goddamn topic when theres one right below it?

Cause this is a different review from pc.gamezone. Try read the link next time.

Lethn
05-27-2008, 19:10
Fucks sake, I've never seen a bigger corporate shill in my life.

Vaisnt
05-27-2008, 19:11
Not everybuddy is noobs at gaming, some even write reviews on games.... and i wouldn't waste my money on teh box art for aoc let alone the game itself. To say 'go by the game and decide for yourself' is fine and all however the buyer should beaware that aoc is and has had false advertisement since day one. It is what the people descirbed above, a pve console game as was intended full of instances lvls, classes, eye candy etc with no innovation what-so-ever. The 'pvp' is worth mentioning as they have 'sold' it as a pvp game from the beginning but their execution of said 'pvp' is probably the worst i have ever seen since lineage 2. In a word... aoc is garbage.

Oh my god your writing; fucking take an English class or attempt to spell correctly.

Have you even played it yet? If not shut the fuck up because your just another arrogant mother fucker with nothing to do but sit on these forums.

Zwarp
05-27-2008, 19:12
Haha they have to rate the "multiplayer" in AoC... And its the worst... At 9 out of 10...

Vaisnt
05-27-2008, 19:14
Cause this is a different review from pc.gamezone. Try read the link next time.

How does that make it special?

Loadafreak
05-27-2008, 19:14
The combat is at least interesting unlike world of warcraft or guildwars.

if your a caster, it is exactly the same... except with less spell variety.

if your melee: target mob -> press hotkey button to activate combo on weakest shielded side -> press sequence of buttons to complete the combo -> do extra damage+some effect.

so melee is a LITTLE different... a -little-

Razel
05-27-2008, 19:15
Oh my god your writing; fucking take an English class or attempt to spell correctly.

Have you even played it yet? If not shut the fuck up because your just another arrogant mother fucker with nothing to do but sit on these forums.

I did play it, i closed beta tested it for months.

Aragoni
05-27-2008, 19:17

/agreed.
Why can't the mods make a "Official AoC Thread" and sticky it?

Lethn
05-27-2008, 19:18
To those fanbois ( yes I'm still going to fucking call you fanbois because you are ) and players out there that think that I'm a fanboi think again, I'm infact an Independent Developer Fanbois, why? Because Independent Developers are the ones who are going to take down the big ass publishers like Funcom and Blizzard, maybe not instantly but they will make them bleed a very painful death.

You see, Independent Developers aren't reliant on PR, they aren't reliant on executives who are giving them money from other industries and they go into the Games Industry because they WANT to and they certainly aren't reliant on crappy retailers who don't give you your money's worth. The more you kill of great games and developers several more Independent Developers will rise to take their place. Look at games like Jumpgate Evolution, Earthrise, Force of Arms, these are games that are trying to break the usual grindfests we're so used to seeing, if you think Darkfall is the only one trying this think again, I even know of another company that's preparing itself as we speak and I'm planning on working for.

If you seriously think that games like Age of Conan and World of Warcraft will stay at the top forever you better think again. I particularly just don't give a crap about what your trying to say to me, I don't blindly follow Darkfall, I blindly follow the design and Independence of the team like I do with all Independent Games and you should learn to either live with it or cry like the little babies you are.

-Havoc-
05-27-2008, 19:18
Every once in a while a game comes along that is bold enough to break the mold of the genre to which it is cast. The game takes some fresh approaches and gives players pause to re-think previous perceptions.

Age of Conan – Hyborian Adventures, from Funcom, is one of those titles.

Alot of dick sucking for AoC with these shill reviews.

How does that make it special?

The link is pink, it is now special.

Biggs
05-27-2008, 19:31
Threads merged because they kinda fit together.

Scully
05-27-2008, 19:34
400 000 subs the first week :) They're doing something right.

shnedit
05-27-2008, 19:35
400 000 subs the first week :) They're doing something right.

Yeh, marketing.

jonyak
05-27-2008, 19:37
While I respect that you are allowed ur own opinion, you are no prophet and you cant tell me that you can see the future.

I actually feed bad for a lot of you guys who think DF is going to collapse under its own weight when its released. Darkfall is going to be the messiah of video games.

See what I did there? IMHO you dont know fucking shit, greenman. You are making far more unfounded assumptions than I am. I base my entire beliefs on previous evidence of Darkfall through reading dev journals, seeing the videos, paying attention to everything the developers say for 7 years now.

You sound like the guys over at MMORPG.com. Maybe you should leave forumfall and go over the MMORPG.com forums where you will be believed and stop spreading your discontent here. Just a suggestion.

are you also a christian?

Cribble
05-27-2008, 19:39
I installed fucking 30 gigs onto my precious harddrive space. I struggled through the game not because it was challenging, but because it was tedious. I played on 7 characters for about 5 days. I got my main to over level 30. I tuned the graphics to be able to barely tolerate the ceaseless stuttering and pauses in gameplay due to my decent system that couldnt handle the game engine, apparently.

Lucky that you even got to play long enough to get past Tortage because this game wait wait.

THIS GAME IS SO DAMN CRAP THAT YOU CAN SEE WERE THEY FORGOT TO PUT FUCKING TEXTURE!!!!

Loadafreak
05-27-2008, 19:39
Yeh, marketing.

and tits... but not directx10 tits, have to wait for them to implement dirx10 in a future patch.

Suraknar
05-27-2008, 19:40
Oki, a bit nit picky and a Devils Advocate here.

While I agree with the OP on the Overal gameplay of AOC, and hat is it a Themepark game, I replied above thanking the review.

I will throw in this question to both the OP and others concerning the Combat Mechanics.

You say AoC is more like a Console game, but how does that differ from Darkfall?

I mean Darkfall will feature Combat without Autoatack as I understand it, without Selection of an enemy either.

Most attacks will be aimed too, Spells and Heals and Ranged Phisical attacks as well, and there will be friendly fire too.

So...if you did not like that in AOC...chances are you will not like it in Darkfall either no?

Scully
05-27-2008, 19:41
Yeh, marketing.

Marketing a good product.

Ammon777
05-27-2008, 19:43
Suraknar, I appreciate that you wanna play devils advocate, since my master Satan appreciates that, but you dont get it. The console'ish arcade aspect is this:

1) push button (or key) corresponding to execute a spell/ability

2) push a series of 1 to 3 additional keys to make it execute, all of which are different for each skill

Additionally, three-way and five-way melee combat aimed at shield markers on three sides screams "ARCADE, ARCADE, GIVE ME FUCKING ARCADE."

Seems to me #2 is not necessary. Thats the arcade part. So why was it implemented? To make up for what the game lacks, plain and simple.

It does not make it more engaging. Actually it distracts from the combat. It does not require any situational, tactical, or strategic skill. I have already gone over this, if you are too fucking retarded to understand it, thats your problem.

Also, Darkfall is a FPS simulation, not an arcade game. Thats the difference.

btw the satan reference is *shock* sarcasm and not serious. Satan is a figment of Jesus's imagination. And Jesus is dead. End of story. Bible 101.

Loadafreak
05-27-2008, 19:43
Oki, a bit nit picky and a Devils Advocate here.

While I agree with the OP on the Overal gameplay of AOC, and hat is it a Themepark game, I replied above thanking the review.

I will throw in this question to both the OP and others concerning the Combat Mechanics.

You say AoC is more like a Console game, but how does that differ from Darkfall?

I mean Darkfall will feature Combat without Autoatack as I understand it, without Selection of an enemy either.

Most attacks will be aimed too, Spells and Heals and Ranged Phisical attacks as well, and there will be friendly fire too.

So...if you did not like that in AOC...chances are you will not like it in Darkfall either no?

aoc HAS targetting. nothing is aimed except for some aoe spells you lay the perimeter on the ground.

darkfall will be more like an fps, aoc is more like... every other wow clone?

Staatsschutz
05-27-2008, 19:44
You see, Independent Developers aren't reliant on PR, they aren't reliant on executives who are giving them money from other industries and they go into the Games Industry because they WANT to and they certainly aren't reliant on crappy retailers who don't give you your money's worth. The more you kill of great games and developers several more Independent Developers will rise to take their place.

If you seriously think that games like Age of Conan and World of Warcraft will stay at the top forever you better think again.

You make some valid points.

Well its only natural that no single MMO can stay at the top forever, since its technology and engines will get old one day.

But the ingredients of WoW to get to the top were:

a well known trademark
a well known major developer
huge efforts put into PR
enough money to pay game magazines to hype their game
the less buggiest mmo to exist
easy to access and easy to learn

so a indy developer who lacks the trademark, money and the PR part can only even it out through 100% living up to their promises, making sure their game is 100%finished when they release it, and with as few bugs as possible, and making sure their game has an excellent, innovative gameplay.

there were alot indy companies who tried on this, but it was always the money issue that cut their projects down, so they had to push it on the market unfinished, with alot of features not being implemented

if this is the case, they can never compete with the big mmos nowadays, and their game will automatically get bad reviews and fail.

The only indy developer which i know of that was ever successfull with their project, was ccp with eve online.

and the 2nd indy developer to be successfull is hopefully aventurine, especially since they only lack the PR and trademark part, but not the money part.

Ammon777
05-27-2008, 19:46
are you also a christian?
Fuck you. I am not a christian so blow it out your ass.

Suraknar
05-27-2008, 19:48
aoc HAS targetting. nothing is aimed except for some aoe spells you lay the perimeter on the ground.

darkfall will be more like an fps, aoc is more like... every other wow clone?

Oki, good enough here.

So targeting selection apart.

How is DF different in that you have to press buttons (keyboard or Mouse) over and over to swing your sword, fire that spell etc..?

jonyak
05-27-2008, 19:49
Fuck you. I am not a christian so blow it out your ass.

well you seem to be able to accept what someone has told you with little to no proof that it even exist other than some rather cryptic writings on the subject and a few pictures, So I just assumed you were a christian as well...

Ps: I love the extreme nerd rage and Darkfall fanboism you exude. don't be so offended that a game other than what you want to play might do well. its just a game.

Suraknar
05-27-2008, 19:51
Suraknar, I appreciate that you wanna play devils advocate, since my master Satan appreciates that, but you dont get it. The console'ish arcade aspect is this:

1) push button (or key) corresponding to execute a spell/ability

2) push a series of 1 to 3 additional keys to make it execute, all of which are different for each skill

Seems to me #2 is not necessary. Thats the arcade part. So why was it implemented? To make up for what the game lacks, plain and simple.

It does not make it more engaging. Actually it distracts from the combat. It does not require any situational, tactical, or strategic skill. I have already gone over this, if you are too fucking retarded to understand it, thats your problem.

btw the satan reference is *shock* sarcasm and not serious. Satan is a figment of Jesus's imagination. And Jesus is dead. End of story. Bible 101.

Oki missed this, thank you Ammon as well.

I get the drift, and ya I play devil's advocate sometimes ;)

Loadafreak
05-27-2008, 19:53
Oki, good enough here.

So targeting selection apart.

How is DF different in that you have to press buttons (keyboard or Mouse) over and over to swing your sword, fire that spell etc..?

actual aiming? actual skill?
look at it this way:
-some fps's have heavy auto-aim (AoC if it was an fps)
-some fps's have none. (darkfall... which is sort of fps anyways)

there IS a difference between them in game play.

Ammon777
05-27-2008, 19:55
well you seem to be able to accept what someone has told you with little to no proof that it even exist other than some rather cryptic writings on the subject and a few pictures, So I just assumed you were a christian as well...

Ps: I love the extreme nerd rage and Darkfall fanboism you exude. don't be so offended that a game other than what you want to play might do well. its just a game.
I am just extremely excited about Darkfall and I hope for the best. Nothing wrong with being optimistic. :D I have been that way for years... I probably am one of the most long-term optimistic fans of Darkfall, what can I say.

Also I gave a review about Age of Conan about my opinion. I dont care if it gets over 400k subscribers, I think that is good for the MMO genre as a whole. I wrote the review, I dont have anything against the game other than its a typical un-inspired Everquest clone. I am frustrated by that because game developers have been making similar cookie-cutter games for over 10 years now and havent dared be innovative, at all. Darkfall is the only truelly innovative MMO. In fact some recently announced games have obviously copied Darkfall's features: i.e. Earthrise, Immortal Destiny, Mortal Online.

And yes, or course I am a fanboy. I've been around for 7 years, more or less, waiting for this one game: Darkfall. You cant get any more hopeful and naive than that.

Loadafreak
05-27-2008, 20:31
In fact some recently announced games have obviously copied Darkfall's features: i.e. Earthrise, Immortal Destiny, Mortal Online.

haha wtf I just noticed something

darkFALL earthRISE

IMMORTAL destiny, MORTAL online.

WTF:eek:

anyways... yea I'll have to check those out. Think darkfall will be the best of them though.

and yes it is nice to finally see a break from the EQ trend!!!

Lethn
05-27-2008, 20:39
To be honest, I'd actually like another Everquest clone if any of these games were actually LIKE Everquest, most of these MMORPGs are just korean games in disguise, you have to give it to the korean developers though at least they've stuck with what they know rather than trying to market their games as something they're not.

And I'm talking korean korean, not the even worse imports.

greenman101
05-27-2008, 21:16
And who is to say that Darkfall couldn't do like Pirates of the Burning Sea's Flying Lab Software, and pull a Contract with Sony Third Party Program, that leaves Aventurine hold 100% of its IP and game rights, yet enjoy all the Billing, Localization and Distribution support and experience that Sony has?

There are many other Publishers out there that would be willing too, so that fact that the Dev Company is small means nothing in todays MMORPG landscape, Shadowbane maybe a precedent but we are several years down the line in a very much flourishing MMO market, things have changed ;)
They already announced they're self publishing.

greenman101
05-27-2008, 21:18

lol I really hit a touchy subject with you didn't I? It's actually pathetic that you care so much about a video game. Go shoot yourself.

Suraknar
05-27-2008, 21:20
Ammon,

I touk the liberty to post your review (and some replies from others) in my Guild's forums for some discussion, there is several OSS members who are trying AoC yet not everyone has made their mind about playing it, (many of us are looking forward to DF instead) so I do this in the interest of perspective and information.

Here is a reply from one of our members that I think could be interesting here too, to better represent the various perspectives.

Personally, as I expressed before, I dont think there are bad games per se, all games can be good, just like fruits, some like oranges and some like apples, bioth are good, so it is a matter of personal taste.

Here is his reply:

I'm not even going to bother writing the lack of knowledge he obviously has on the game. As it would be pointless, and it is his review. Yet it is extremely biased, and really does reek of "fanboyism" (yes, i mad that up).

No offense to you Duke, this isn't aimed at you, it's at him.

The first 1-20 levels are very well done! I can't even describe it, its really well done. The questing is engaging.

I just do want to say one thing. You can't have real time combat in any MMO, it would be the most broken game. Latency, anyone? That is the reason they have que'd skills and abilities, heck, I don't think there is a single online game that has "real-time" combat.

People today are really expecting too much out of gaming, and can't tell the difference from the possible, and impossible.

As for my review: 1-33 (Guardian)

If you don't like level based games, don't play. The leveling is fast, so it is not that big of a deal. All MMO's have a grind in one form or another, the most tangible is the level based system.

The world is pretty large, large enough to be a pain in the butt to walk across. (I hate traveling, and I don't anybody that really does). The three countries are connected through a boat / coach system (instant zoning) through the capital cities. You still have to walk across all of the zones to get from one to the other, granted they are seperated by a zoning screen.
They are massive, but not too big, nor too small. The zones are bigger than WoW zones, but not as many of them.

The combat is pretty unique and engaging. There is more to it than mashing three buttons (just like in any game). Those three buttons just activate other skills, and right now my longest combo is only 2 Moves, and it goes up to a maximum of 4. All classes can AoE to an extent, meaning when you swing your sword whatever is in the way gets hit, so this makes positioning huge.

They have an instancing system much like Tabula Rasa (which is bad, but it helps with stability alot).

The classes are either balanced or they aren't. There are a few classes that need help and or lowered. The Guardian i feel is very balanced, not too strong, nor too weak (except against healing classes). I agree some of the priests are way too strong, but they will be balanced. Things change, thats what you have to remember, they never stay the same. So I wouldn't take reviews based on class balance very well, as NO MMO will ever get this right at launch.

I don't know what end game is at like launch, but I warn you don't take the people who rushed to 80 in the fist week very seriously, as they know very well that the end-game of ANY mmo at launch is weak, if they didn't then they must be new to MMO's (granted this is a poor excuse for companies to use, but they do it, and we have let it slide)

All I can really say, is try it for yourself and make your own judgements. There are still a lot of problems with the game. The performance is good for most people, the servers have yet to crash or lag. It's mostly problems with bugs, or the client, which get fixed every day so far.

I give this game an 8 out of 10 on the fun factor.

In the end Fun is what matters I think the most. If some people are having fun in a given game, we can't accuse them of anything same as the one's that don't.

Fortunately there is enough games in different styles around for everyone to have fun in.

Matriel
05-27-2008, 21:26
Mug doesn't know about Planetside or WWIIOL.

Suraknar
05-27-2008, 21:59
True true, but what one does not know is not a factor here, people base their fun judgment on what they know most of the time.

And we have to take that under account. Unfortunately, some companies know this as well, and will market their products under the various Labels just for marketing reasons.

I think the best way for people to understand some things is for them to experience them by themselves.

Ammon seems to be very knowledgeable about MMO's and like someone equally in to the meta aspects of design I appreciate this review, however, I would not go as far as telling people not to try a given game that they may seem interested about, because, it is how they will get to have that knowledge and resulting understanding too, through experience.

Ammon777
05-27-2008, 22:21
Eh... So Yeah. I'm a rabid DFO fanboy. I am a fanboy of the most revolutionary fucking online game ever: Darkfall.

ALL HAIL DARKFALL !!!

I am aware Darkfall has yet to prove itself. But, to me, these DFO developers have come up with the best concept for a game ever. For me, thats enough to believe in and hope for.

Suraknar, that was a horrid response to my review, no cudos to you for posting it. That light-weight-cranium idiot obviously missed all the valid points in my review. His glossy eyes did not grasp the concepts. He did not address the points that make Age of Conan combat annoying and repetitive shit. It was just full of opinionated ignorance without any understanding about differences among various game mechanics in general. And it was written by someone that obviously likes level-based quest-driven MMO drivel -- IMHO the typical mentality that allows game developers to create cookie-cutter games because we buy into Funcom's lies and over-exaggerations. I was not interested in his opinion, so no thanks for posting that shit.

Suraknar
05-27-2008, 22:37
Eh... So Yeah. I'm a rabid DFO fanboy. I am a fanboy of the most revolutionary fucking online game ever: Darkfall.

ALL HAIL DARKFALL !!!

I am aware Darkfall has yet to prove itself. But, to me, these DFO developers have come up with the best concept for a game ever. For me, thats enough to believe in and hope for.

Suraknar, that was a horrid response to my review, no cudos to you for posting it. That light-weight-cranium idiot obviously missed all the valid points in my review. His glossy eyes did not grasp the concepts. He did not address the points that make Age of Conan combat annoying and repetitive shit. It was just full of opinionated ignorance without any understanding about differences among various game mechanics in general. And it was written by someone that obviously likes level-based quest-driven MMO drivel -- IMHO the typical mentality that allows game developers to create cookie-cutter games because we buy into Funcom's lies and over-exaggerations. I was not interested in his opinion, so no thanks for posting that shit.

Don't take it personally, the purpose of posting it was not to argue your points as much as offer another perspective here.

As I said, there is people who haven't experienced "other" ways of doing things, we can't blaim them for that. Because once, we were at their position as well.

Even if some may argue based on their experience and knowledge, it is still interesting to know about perceptions and ways of looking at things, don't you think?

Listening is at least as Important as talking I think ;)

Ammon777
05-27-2008, 22:58
I am not taking it personally, I am not angry, just a tad frustrated and willing to talk about this, but I will defend my viewpoint from someone that wanted to call me out on it. He specifically called me out, so I will respond.

Since this guy seemed it necessary to review my review, I am going to review his review of my review! :D

"I'm not even going to bother writing the lack of knowledge he obviously has on the game. As it would be pointless, and it is his review. Yet it is extremely biased, and really does reek of "fanboyism" (yes, i mad that up)."

Wow you are the first person to say 'fanboyism?' Impressive. You know what, that signals immediately to my mind, "Stupidity alert."

So you arent gonna bother with detailing my lack of knowledge about it? If you have something to prove, then why not? Could it be that you dont know what I know? I played up to level 32 and talked to people who were already levels 50-70. They all said there is hardly any quest content after level 50 and that its all a grind. Because Funcom concentrated so damn hard on creating content for the early levels and thinks it is OK to not work on end level content until after they get paid.

"No offense to you Duke, this isn't aimed at you, it's at him."

Which is why I am aiming this at you.

"The first 1-20 levels are very well done! I can't even describe it, its really
well done. The questing is engaging."

If you cant describe it then you are inept. Sure, the questing was nice, I sorta liked it. But beyond description! Oh Lord! Why, it is just heavenly. Spare us, please. You arent fooling anyone at Forumfall except for the retards that frequent here to troll.

"I just do want to say one thing. You can't have real time combat in any MMO, it would be the most broken game. Latency, anyone? That is the reason they have que'd skills and abilities, heck, I don't think there is a single online game that has 'real-time' combat."

Enter: Darkfall in 2008. Also many online FPS games are real time, and they function rather well, with actual player skill involved. Has this moron even played an FPS online ever? Its possible to do it in an MMO if it has the right technology and good design.

"People today are really expecting too much out of gaming, and can't tell the difference from the possible, and impossible."

People today buy games with *gasp* real money. I expect fun out of that money. If I dont get any fun, I get pissed off. Today's technology is great. Then why cant anyone make a great game with today's technology? But according to you, we should expect poop in a box since a great game is impossible to make.

"If you don't like level based games, don't play. The leveling is fast, so it is not that big of a deal. All MMO's have a grind in one form or another, the most tangible is the level based system."

I am not playing it, actually, because I cancelled my account. The levelling is indeed fast. But what you are gonna find out within a few months, is that there is no content at the highest levels. All you happy campers are going to be yelling and shouting a shit-fest at Funcom in a few months, because progression to crappy end-game PvP systems is gonna be a bitch to swallow. I cant wait to see tards like you get mad at Funcom because they dont have anything to do at level 80.

"The world is pretty large, large enough to be a pain in the butt to walk across. (I hate traveling, and I don't anybody that really does)."

You have never played a real MMO like Asherons Call, then. Large seemless worlds are awesome and make you feel like you are in a realistic world because it takes time to get somewhere. Since it takes distance to get somewhere, it creates the feeling that you are indeed at a cool place. Of course, I expect you will not fathom that.

"The three countries are connected through a boat / coach system (instant zoning) through the capital cities. You still have to walk across all of the zones to get from one to the other, granted they are seperated by a zoning screen."

Thats gay. You cant even see another zone from your current position. That makes for a more realistic world? Nope, seemless worlds are the best.

"They are massive, but not too big, nor too small. The zones are bigger than WoW zones, but not as many of them."

Actually WoW zones are just as big. At least WoW zones are connected to each other to form the illusion that its not zoned. They did zone transitions very nicely in WoW. It made for a more realistic world. In Age of Conan you cannot see or go between zones. You will not wonder what is over that mountain because there is NOTHING over that mountain.

"The combat is pretty unique and engaging. There is more to it than mashing three buttons (just like in any game). Those three buttons just activate other skills, and right now my longest combo is only 2 Moves, and it goes up to a maximum of 4. All classes can AoE to an extent, meaning when you swing your sword whatever is in the way gets hit, so this makes positioning huge."

Wrong, the three buttons activate the single ability/combo that you initiated. They do not activate any other effects. Up to three (not four) subsequent button presses are required to activate the ability/combo that you initiated, and if you miss one of them, it doesnt activate it. That means you are playing an arcade mini-game of "who can press the right buttons in the correct order." I dont see that as being more useful in any sense, I see it as being entertaining to numbnuts like you. I am talking about MECHANICS here, not content.

"They have an instancing system much like Tabula Rasa (which is bad, but it helps with stability alot)."

They instanced the entire world. Actually many other games (for instance, World of Warcraft, Asherons Call, Ultima Online, ect) didnt require WORLD instancing to function. The real reason AoC requires instancing is because there are so few places to go (a few zones compared to other games) and the performance of the graphics engine around a lot of other players is horrid. Also I think Funcom designed it that way to make it easier on themselves.

"The classes are either balanced or they aren't. There are a few classes that need help and or lowered. The Guardian i feel is very balanced, not too strong, nor too weak (except against healing classes). I agree some of the priests are way too strong, but they will be balanced. Things change, thats what you have to remember, they never stay the same. So I wouldn't take reviews based on class balance very well, as NO MMO will ever get this right at launch."

I dont even care about class balances in a game that I dont like the fundamental mechanics in the first place. So, no comment.

"I don't know what end game is at like launch, but I warn you don't take the people who rushed to 80 in the fist week very seriously, as they know very well that the end-game of ANY mmo at launch is weak, if they didn't then they must be new to MMO's (granted this is a poor excuse for companies to use, but they do it, and we have let it slide)"

Funcom advertised and decieved the public, then. Because there is supposed to be end-game content. Sorry, but if you think otherwise you havent been paying attention.

"All I can really say, is try it for yourself and make your own judgements. There are still a lot of problems with the game. The performance is good for most people, the servers have yet to crash or lag. It's mostly problems with bugs, or the client, which get fixed every day so far."

So what. My review talked about fundamental design mechanics, not about bugs. I felt oblidged to inform the Darkfall community about this game so that they would not waste money on it like I did.

"I give this game an 8 out of 10 on the fun factor."

And I give it a 2 outta 10 in fun factor. The +2 in my score = nice graphics.

"In the end Fun is what matters I think the most. If some people are having fun in a given game, we can't accuse them of anything same as the one's that don't."

Thats fine. But my review was a personal opinion... but you seemed to call to me out with your opinion. So I am calling you out. You didnt make any valid arguments against my review. What was your point other than "the game is really fun"?

"Fortunately there is enough games in different styles around for everyone to have fun in."

Thank god there are so many compelling PvP MMOs out right now. Oh wait, there arent any... shit, that sucks for the PvPer, doesnt it? When game companies make crappy games, everyone loses.

edit -- Exception is EVE Online, it has good PvP.

Ammon777
05-27-2008, 23:15
Told ya Ammon777 that Age Of Conan would suck :p
Ya I know. I shoulda listened but I was hard up for something, anything.

samuraivelez
05-27-2008, 23:19

You are a heroic martyr among us Forumfallers. /salute for giving a bad game a good chance and writing a wall of text review.

Aragoni
05-27-2008, 23:22

Ever heard of porn? Wurm? Dwarf Fortress? Hell, learn C++ or modelling (http://www.wings3d.com/ <--- Free program http://forums.taleworlds.net/index.php/topic,10868.msg177875.html#msg177875 <--- basic modelling for Mount & Blade http://forums.taleworlds.net/index.php/topic,14395.new.html#new <--- Advanced).
:)

Ammon777
05-27-2008, 23:24
You are a heroic martyr among us Forumfallers. /salute for giving a bad game a good chance and writing a wall of text review.
/eyes well up with tears

Reeeaaalllllllyyy? :p

Ammon777
05-27-2008, 23:27
Ever heard of porn? Wurm? Dwarf Fortress? Hell, learn C++ or modelling (http://www.wings3d.com/ <--- Free program http://forums.taleworlds.net/index.php/topic,10868.msg177875.html#msg177875 <--- basic modelling for Mount & Blade http://forums.taleworlds.net/index.php/topic,14395.new.html#new <--- Advanced).
:)
Dude i wanted an MMO. And I already know C++, its a pain in the ass. :p

Aragoni
05-27-2008, 23:29
Dude i wanted an MMO. And I already know C++, its a pain in the ass. :p

THEN WURM IT IS! DAMNIT!
Nah honestly... There is no really good PvP game on the market atm. :(

Suraknar
05-27-2008, 23:35
Oh man, Ammon you take it personally ;)

But its ok, I caused this by cross-posting, I take responsibility.

---
My own comments now,

about your review on the review, what I am getting out of it mostly is that you don't like Instanced Design, and prefer a Seamless Design.

Which is fine, yet, that is not really an argument to support the claim that a given game cant be fun, I am sorry, even if I share your preference and I prefer Seamless over Instanced myself, that only means that I do not like that game, it does not mean that the game is not good.

Because it is just a preference nevertheless, and people have different preferences that appeal to them, not recognizing that, actually lessens the importance of what you have to say, because you expect everyone to see things as you do.

Therefore, you yourself are making the same mistake as those you hold responsible for not having an enjoyable PvP game to play.

There is always two sides in a coin, and both sides do not have our face in them.

In the end, you know and I know that if/when Darkfall comes out, it will be a great game to enjoy for many years to come, yet, it is not by dissing other games that Darkfall will shine, Darkfall should shine on its own merit.

Scully
05-27-2008, 23:36
I tried. I really did give it a hard-core try to like AoC. I bought the game. I installed fucking 30 gigs onto my precious harddrive space. I struggled through the game not because it was challenging, but because it was tedious. I played on 7 characters for about 5 days. I got my main to over level 30. I tuned the graphics to be able to barely tolerate the ceaseless stuttering and pauses in gameplay due to my decent system that couldnt handle the game engine, apparently.

I tried to pretend that this was sorta fun, which worked for about 1 day, but I was willing to see if it got any better -- beyond Tortage, the starting city. After that things glided steadily downhill for me. I played up to level 32 on my main character. I left Tortage thinking, "I sure hope this gets better because I feel claustrophobic in this world. Its too restrictive and too zone-based. I hope the world opens up after Tortage and everything will be fine." However, the entire game is just like Tortage: every next village has the same layout design philosophies and quest content stranglation just like Tortage. All of it is more or less instanced; it is extremely closed-in areas, it doesnt even FEEL like a world. It FEELS like an endless level-based quest-focused theme-park -- of course, thats exactly what it is. The zones are so restrictive that you feel strangled: Age of Conan is the opposite of a seemless world. In fact, I suspect that the zones are entirely created based upon the quests, the world serves the quests. So you dont have any sense of a "realistic world," you have the opposite. Sorry but World of Warcraft (even with all its faults) at least feels like a believable worldscape, while Age of Conan does not.

All the points that our developer friend Tasos made in a recent dev journal concerning the differences between Darkfall and other games are true. In fact, Age of Conan is the most likely candidate for some of those glaring stereotypical flaws that Tasos pointed out as fundamental differences. Age of Conan's combat system is HORRIBLE. Its an ARCADE game, seriously. You waste your time hitting a series of up to three keys to execute a single ability -- seems to me that is a waste of effort because you arent using any situational, strategic, or tactical skills at all; instead you are basically playing WoW with an additional arcade hinderance. This hinderance drastically affects your executions in PvP because... its a time-consuming hinderance. Its combat is so arcade-like that its safe to assume that Age of Conan was not really built for the PC, but rather for money-making on the X-Box 360 system. Expect it to be a huge hit on X-Box due to its OUTSTANDING media reviews on the PC! 10 outta 10 for sure !!! /sarcasm

IMHO, while Age of Conan sucks for (mostly) intelligent people like DFO hopefuls, it will still retain a relatively large playerbase because it has nice graphics and a bunch of quest content -- think Lord of the Rings. Unfortunately many people dont even realize that Darkfall would be a million times better because they cannot grasp Darkfall's concepts that are above and beyond the Everquest formula.

Once again, we have an Everquest clone, this time in Hyborea. Once again, the PvP in it is completely unworthy of PvPness because its not based on skill and the combat is *shock* not real-time, its queued actions just like every MMO since Everquest and World of Warcraft, only with the additional burden of an arcade mini-game infused into it, making it NOT more complex and engaging, but instead TEDIOUS and ANNOYING.

As usual in the past 7 years, my hopes rest entirely on Darkfall. My experiences in Age of Conan reinforce my belief that Darkfall will most likely be the best MMO in this century if it delivers on even half of what it promises.

ALL HAIL DARKFALL !!!

Most biased review ever? YES!

Aragoni
05-27-2008, 23:38

But is it true? YES!

Scully
05-27-2008, 23:44
But is it true? YES!

Don't know haven't played it. And neither has this guy ><

Aragoni
05-27-2008, 23:45
And neither has this guy ><

And what do you base that assumption on?

Ammon777
05-27-2008, 23:45
Oh man, Ammon you take it personally ;)

But its ok, I caused this by cross-posting, I take responsibility.

---
My own comments now,

about your review on the review, what I am getting out of it mostly is that you don't like Instanced Design, and prefer a Seamless Design.

Which is fine, yet, that is not really an argument to support the claim that a given game cant be fun, I am sorry, even if I share your preference and I prefer Seamless over Instanced myself, that only means that I do not like that game, it does not mean that the game is not good.

Because it is just a preference nevertheless, and people have different preferences that appeal to them, not recognizing that, actually lessens the importance of what you have to say, because you expect everyone to see things as you do.

Therefore, you yourself are making the same mistake as those you hold responsible for not having an enjoyable PvP game to play.

There is always two sides in a coin, and both sides do not have our face in them.

In the end, you know and I know that if/when Darkfall comes out, it will be a great game to enjoy for many years to come, yet, it is not by dissing other games that Darkfall will shine, Darkfall should shine on its own merit.
Okey dude. I am NOT the press or media. Im just a player that has played almost everything MMO. I just stated my personal review. Do you think that I am going to make a non-biased review? What? No fucking way, dude! I am completely biased. And I am honest. Was an honest review. Like it or dislike it, its not like my opinion will matter to 400k+ happy Age of Conan'ers anyway.

Lord Caim
05-27-2008, 23:49
Ammon I love you

Ammon777
05-27-2008, 23:50
Ammon I love you
/group hugz !!!

Zokten
05-28-2008, 00:52

Like all reviews are not biased?

Don't know haven't played it. And neither has this guy ><

:lmao:

-Havoc-
05-28-2008, 00:54
Okey dude. I am NOT the press or media. Im just a player that has played almost everything MMO. I just stated my personal review. Do you think that I am going to make a non-biased review? What? No fucking way, dude! I am completely biased. And I am honest. Was an honest review. Like it or dislike it, its not like my opinion will matter to 400k+ happy Age of Conan'ers anyway.

Bullshit!!! /tinfoil hat

Geminireaper
05-28-2008, 00:56
i have to disagree with op. sure its not the most amazing game ever but definately worth the monthly fee. once you get into a guild things seem to open up. you now have city building. getting groups together to run dungeons. slaughtering people in numbers. the game opens up as you move along. you dont even start crafting until 40. then you help with building structures. and then there are eventually battlekeeps.

technically the game is pretty sound. no game stopping bugs. the game runs sooth on high setting on my pc with little to no lag.

running c2d e6600 @ 2.6ghz
4 gb ddr2 800
nvidia 8800gtx.

anyone with an nvidia should update to the 5/12 drivers.

so in essence i couldnt agree with the op on just about anything.

Ungraylessness
05-28-2008, 00:56

Ammon: Don't buy Aoc, It's just a box filled with shit.

Suraknar: Not everybody hates shit ammon, don't be biased.

III [C*D]
05-28-2008, 03:33
So just wait until it releases and you hear the feedback before buying it. If you need to be the first on the block to have it, you run the risk of buying a turd.

As for DF allowing people to try it for free, a first month free covers that. It doesn't mean you can take it back to the store free. That's not how retail operates.

Yea, but I've done that as well and you really don't know until you play it. You just can't get the "feel" of it.

I didn't do the pre-release early play, but I did buy it on the 20th. Mostly because of the pressure from the guildies (they all had new-game syndrome.)

It's all good, I returned it for COD4 and I'm lovin' that.

Barbot
05-28-2008, 04:21
You could already tell that it was pushed early and the whole game was a gimmick when they sold special editions of the game to get in-game items and start playing days before other people.

jordanleroux
05-28-2008, 04:30
You could already tell that it was pushed early and the whole game was a gimmick when they sold special editions of the game to get in-game items and start playing days before other people.

Sounds like the "settlers" from DnL.

-Havoc-
05-28-2008, 04:34

Isn't getting the drinking-cloak a valid justification for buying the special edition?

Sounds like the "settlers" from DnL.

I'm surprised I got my money back for that shit.

Ammon777
05-29-2008, 00:55
I knew I was right that Conan was essentially designed for console money-making, hence the console'ish arcade mechanics. Here is proof, straight from the donkey's mouth today. BTW I consider aiming all of your design at consoles when you are making a PC MMORPG is an unholy sin of the worst order, but thats just my opinion.

http://www.massively.com/2008/05/28/funcom-maze-of-challenges-ahead-for-cross-platform-conan/

Age of Conan is not the first MMO to release on consoles as well as the PC. Phantasy Star Universe and Final Fantasy XI were among the vanguards there. Unfortunately, the existing precedents haven't made it look easy. There are a lot of issues to consider. Will Xbox Live (or the PlayStation Network, if the game ever lands on Sony's shores) download regulations prevent prompt bug patching? Will PC users be forced to use voice chat, or will 360 users be forced to buy keyboards? How does one design a user interface that will be equally effective with a console controller and a keyboard/mouse combo?

According to Funcom Project Manager Jorgen Theraldsen, these and other questions have been at the forefront of the development team's thoughts since the beginning. In an interview with MMORPG, he revealed that AoC's combat system has gone through nine iterations throughout Funcom's quest to make it appealing to console users. He admitted that the team still faces "a maze of challenges." At the same time, he assured PC users that the game will not be simplified or held back to make things easier for 360 players. A fine balance, that.

Choosing between the two platforms is probably easy, but many potential players only have one or the other. Funcom has to keep them both happy if this is going to work. That won't be an easy task.

So let me get this straight. They designed their combat system for console systems, and then dared to say that it was a revolutionary combat system?

Making an MMO for a console is fine. I dont care about that. But they designed it for consoles, not really for the PC.

Sorry, its not a revolutionary combat system in the slightest.

forestchild
05-29-2008, 01:12
Ok the game is avarage and its all instance and alot bugged, but still i have fun.
There is alot of open pvp going on, fighting in towns fighting everywhere in pve areas(areas to fight mobs for quests i dont mean areas thats pve only i play on ffa server) when you fight mobs or instance where one group pass other group and group already there dont like it, competion arrived and start attacking other group and you have a big fight inside a dungeon.

THATS FUN!

forestchild
05-29-2008, 01:15
I knew I was right that Conan was essentially designed for console money-making, hence the console'ish arcade mechanics. Here is proof, straight from the donkey's mouth today. BTW I consider aiming all of your design at consoles when you are making a PC MMORPG is an unholy sin of the worst order, but thats just my opinion.

http://www.massively.com/2008/05/28/funcom-maze-of-challenges-ahead-for-cross-platform-conan/

So let me get this straight. They designed their combat system for console systems, and then dared to say that it was a revolutionary combat system?

Making an MMO for a console is fine. I dont care about that. But they designed it for consoles, not really for the PC.

Sorry, its not a revolutionary combat system in the slightest.

Just clicking fast combo's its nothing revolutionairy about it, only not auto attack, but its not realy hard to learn the combat.

Mashing with your mouse on icons as fast as you can thats AoC:p

Ammon777
05-29-2008, 01:39
Of course its not hard to learn the combat. Its fucking retarded, I have already explained this shit. I dont like the mechanics. My point today is that it was made for a god damn console.

Either make an MMORPG for a PC and then port it to console on the side; or make an MMORPG for a console; but PLEASE dont make a console MMORPG and then sell it to PC gamers touting it as the most revolutionary fucktarded combat system ever. Fucking retarded marketing gimmicks.

Why do I bother to complain? Because I am frustrated by the endless crap put out by MMORPG developers, thats why. Over the past 8 years I probably wasted nigh $500 to $700 on MMOs that I didnt play for a week!

Fuck!

Spineless_DoO
05-29-2008, 02:33
Here is a tip. After you quest to 45ish you grind to 50ish. Quest for 2 levels and then you grind to 80. Non stop boring ass grind.

Razel
05-29-2008, 04:27
Here is a tip. After you quest to 45ish you grind to 50ish. Quest for 2 levels and then you grind to 80. Non stop boring ass grind.

wossat don't like grinding for gear and 80 lvls? shame on u. You have to be in mmorpgs for years to get to that point!

Forsaken
05-29-2008, 04:29
I'd take this review seriously if you posted your system specs.

However since you did not, it sounds like a

"BAWWW MOMMY AND DADDY COULDN'T AFFORD TO UPDATE MY COMPUTER THIS YEAR"

Littlee
05-29-2008, 05:04
i am gonna sing do do song
do do do do do do do do do do dee dee do do do dee do do do do do do do do do do do do do do

Zokten
05-29-2008, 05:27

The normal retard assumption post.

Edit: that link about how the combat was mad for consoles, fuck that shit. Then don't put it on the PC so tired of shitty games they make for the console but have it come to the PC also like that Oblivion piece of shit.

-Jotun
05-29-2008, 05:40
I've played the game since release, and the OP is 100% correct.

This game sucks ass. Darkfall is our only hope.

The reason why I say this, and most people won't ever understand if they are just new to class based mmos but simply put---

HAVING CLASSES INSTEAD OF SKILLS IN A GAME WITH A LEVELLING TREADMILL DOES NOTHING MORE BUT DELAY THE ENDGAME INEVITABLE, SHIT THAT YOU HAVE ALWAYS WANTED TO DO AT THE START OF AN MMO YOU CAN'T BECAUSE OF RESTRICTIONS FOR NO FUCKING REASON.

Why can't people get this shit through their head when they play an mmo? It bugs me to no end. It makes me sick to think I've been guilty of playing treadmill restriction mmo trash like this since WoW came out. Fuck. Glad I didn't waste my time on Evercrack though.... whew. (ac darktide saved mah life)

Priest of Mitra is retardedly unbelievably ridiculously overpowered in PvE department, and PvP they won't ever die.

Temple of Set is the same fucking way, and as a matter of fact after the PoM nerf to purification they might just be better.

I've seen PoM's take out 10 con mobs in a circle and not die, and continue to grind.

How else would people be able to get from 35-45 in a day? Absolutely hilarious.

If anyone thinks Age of Conan is anything new, flattering, awesome, or well-done, you're wrong and should reconsider playing an MMO ever again.

It's the same fucking game as WoW, except WOW YOU HAVE TO PRESS "1" and "2" to GET OFF AN ABILITY INSTEAD OF PRESSING just "1"! CONGRATULATIONS BEST COMBAT SYSTEM EVER HOLY SHIT OMFG

yeah, and did I mention the ridiculous amount of bugs//feats//trees that are entirely useless.

DARKFALL IS OUR ONLY HOPE.

WITHOUT THIS GAME THE MMORPG GENRE IS DOOMED TO COPYCAT FAILURE, JUST LIKE IT HAS BEEN FOR ALMOST A DECADE, AND IT LOOKS LIKE ITS GOING TO NEVER END IF DARKFALL DOESN'T ARRIVE.

EDIT: also, bash the defenders of this game whenever they say PvP minigame, say "battlegrounds" and they will get so pissed.

I got 1000 tells saying "LFG WAILING CAVERNS" in khopshev province so many times, really the only thing fun about the game is to make fun of people for playing it. Like myself.

I will only continue playing this game for my pro status and gank capabilities to the insane amount of newbs that play this game, aside from that this game is FUCKING TRASH.

Ammon777, you are the fucking man. Anyone tries to give you shit over this review is going to love getting owned in Darkfall. Seriously, what the shit were the developers of Age of Conan thinking when they poked fun of Darkfall with Age of Conan's laughable state.

Funcom blows, can't wait to see a smaller company like Adventurine dominate them. I'm thankfull to be waiting for Darkfall for so long, it's to ensure that trash like this doesn't crowd an ever so useless market to braindead bitches who think they know anything about an MMO.

HATS OF TO DARKFALL HOORAY

CoolWaters
05-29-2008, 06:19

Their math is good too:

There are four priest classes in the game – Priest of Mitra (which is one of the gods in the game), Tempest of Set (another one of the gods) and bear shaman.

Geminireaper
05-29-2008, 06:37
the game is alright. Better than the other shit out right now. If you bored play it and have hours of entertainment. Just make sure your computer isnt a PoS and it will run fine. Find yourself a guild or you will be bored. End of story. IMAGE has just under 60 tagged members. Have a city started with numerous buildings. Have a good time. All the haters can lick my balls....go ahead and cry. Give your piss poor "reviews" like you know it all about gaming. The rest of us will enjoy a game that is actually out and isnt a bug ridden piece of shit.

Zokten
05-29-2008, 06:50
the game is alright. Better than the other shit out right now. If you bored play it and have hours of entertainment. Just make sure your computer isnt a PoS and it will run fine. Find yourself a guild or you will be bored. End of story. IMAGE has just under 60 tagged members. Have a city started with numerous buildings. Have a good time. All the haters can lick my balls....go ahead and cry. Give your piss poor "reviews" like you know it all about gaming. The rest of us will enjoy a game that is actually out and isnt a bug ridden piece of shit.

Someone got raged.

Galadourn
05-29-2008, 07:06
Their math is good too:

lol :lmao:

Agge
05-29-2008, 07:13
I got a thank you for helping us with testing mail... I haven't helped them test shit.

Anyways, as "thanks", I got a ingame item code for some beer cloak (yes beer, not a bear pelt, gives you free drinks) or something like that... Soo I hope alot of people stay in the game and in a few years I can then sell that code for a bit of money.

Weeking
05-29-2008, 07:57
The normal retard assumption post.

Edit: that link about how the combat was mad for consoles, fuck that shit. Then don't put it on the PC so tired of shitty games they make for the console but have it come to the PC also like that Oblivion piece of shit.

I agree console games ported to PC suck, at least when they retain the crappy UI and don't make adjustments for mouse, keyboard and sitting closer to the screen; IE always. But AoC was developed for PC first and only afterwards will they make it for console. I can't say it has the same weaknesses that Oblivion had because of being a console game primarily; it has pretty standard PC inventory and equipment management f ex and the ability to click on stuff to use them, loot or select etc instead of the targeting by facing that it also has and likely is the modus operandi for console gamers and BTW Oblivion had exclusively I think.

Wufiavelli
05-29-2008, 09:37
jesus christ call the wambulance. This game is not DF and never was slated to be. AOC is an everquest ripoff MMO, and its good for those type of MMOs. Your people bitching is like crying because pepsi is not dr pepper. If you spent 50 bucks expecting anything but an eq ripp off your a dumbass.

Zokten
05-29-2008, 09:38
jesus christ call the wambulance. This game is not DF and never was slated to be. AOC is an everquest ripoff MMO, and its good for those type of MMOs. Your peoples bitching is like crying because pepsi is not dr pepper. If you spent 50 bucks expecting anything but an eq ripp off your a dumbass.

WHAT!!! so I was lied to!!!

Fuck I just went to the store and got 30 cases of Pepsi thinking it was Dr. Pepper

Jarkovii
05-29-2008, 09:44

Fuck I just went to the store and got 30 cases of Pepsi thinking it was Dr. Pepper

Well..... At least that was original.

Wufiavelli
05-29-2008, 09:46

i know pepsi sucks its a leveling treadmill with no open pvp ffa and worst of all its instanced.

Grannus
05-29-2008, 11:51
i know pepsi sucks its a leveling treadmill with no open pvp ffa and worst of all its instanced.
All the quests are the same too.

Tharkon Fargor
05-29-2008, 12:54
jesus christ call the wambulance. This game is not DF and never was slated to be. AOC is an everquest ripoff MMO, and its good for those type of MMOs. Your people bitching is like crying because pepsi is not dr pepper. If you spent 50 bucks expecting anything but an eq ripp off your a dumbass.

lol...:bang:

You're probably one of those people saying that Halo is a Doom ripoff to?
Seriously EQ was 10 years ago, it's not an EQ ripoff.

And also people did in general expect something more from AoC than what they got. If it's a ripoff from anything it's a ripoff from Guildwars as it looks like the fucking game Version 2.0... And it's instanced like it.

Wufiavelli
05-29-2008, 13:34
lol...:bang:

You're probably one of those people saying that Halo is a Doom ripoff to?
Seriously EQ was 10 years ago, it's not an EQ ripoff.

And also people did in general expect something more from AoC than what they got. If it's a ripoff from anything it's a ripoff from Guildwars as it looks like the fucking game Version 2.0... And it's instanced like it.

:bang:
Your probably one of those people use the annoying banging head icon.

never played guildwars. Hear the reference alot from people who play the first the tortage levels. Honestly if i had to compare the zoning to another game i would probably say lotro.

Sure its an evolved version of eq, but we are not talking about large evolutionary leaps and bounds.

jonyak
05-29-2008, 14:55
god you guys all come across as a bunch of butt hurt DF fanbois. which I find funny because you all rage against other fanbois, while being exactly like them.

grow the fuck up and stop letting a game make you so insecure.

seriously.

Aragoni
05-29-2008, 14:56
god you guys all come across as a bunch of butt hurt DF fanbois. which I find funny because you all rage against other fanbois, while being exactly like them.

seriously.

If you hate us so much then why don't you just leave? Noone's forcing you to stay. ;)

jonyak
05-29-2008, 15:00
If you hate us so much then why don't you just leave? Noone's forcing you to stay. ;)

cause its fun pissing you morons off...

Conley
05-29-2008, 15:15

The only way it "opens up" is that you gain access to more zones. Thats what they mean, and IMO that doesnt make the world any more "open."

Another person who hasn't seen anything beyond Tortage and claims he did.

Really, try to finish your destiny quests, level to 20 and get to the mainland. After you did this you will understand how absurd your comments are.

Zokten
05-29-2008, 15:31
cause its fun pissing you morons off...

But you seem to fail on that end sir.

Another person who hasn't seen anything beyond Tortage and claims he did.

Really, try to finish your destiny quests, level to 20 and get to the mainland. After you did this you will understand how absurd your comments are.

ZOMG, There is no way someone could have a different opinion/view then you no way at all. :ohno:

jonyak
05-29-2008, 15:43

actualy it seems like I am doing pretty good on that end, son.

Zokten
05-29-2008, 15:52
actualy it seems like I am doing pretty good on that end, son.

Then I seem to be missing the majority of people you "piss" off, perhaps you should provide some links.

Conley
05-29-2008, 15:55

ZOMG, There is no way someone could have a different opinion/view then you no way at all. :ohno:

It has nothing to do with a view or an opinion. It has to do with the simple question of wether or not you've seen the content beyond Tortage or not.

There are a number of "anti-aoc" posters who clearly have never seen anything beyond Tortage. That is fine, but when they then go out and tell lies and inconsistancies about the content they have never seen, they should be called for it.

It is as simple as that. You can like AoC or you can hate it, but don't tell stories that aren't true, as there will always be people around who DID see the game beyond Tortage and will recognize the bullshit of a lyar.

terafis
05-29-2008, 15:58

seriously.

Ahh Jonyak.

Jonyak was a rabid fanboi for the last disaster MMO to grace our shelves as well, namely Vanguard.

Around comes AoC and Jonyak dons his shining fanboi armor, ready to defend the precious.

Just a bit of news ole Jony - VG flopped and is now dead, and the new one is following the same path.

You are hereby dubbed Sir Jonyak, Defender of the Turd.

jonyak
05-29-2008, 16:01
Ahh Jonyak.

Jonyak was a rabid fanboi for the last disaster MMO to grace our shelves as well, namely Vanguard.

Around comes AoC and Jonyak dons his shining fanboi armor, ready to defend the precious.

Just a bit of news ole Jony - VG flopped and is now dead, and the new one is following the same path.

You are hereby dubbed Sir Jonyak, Defender of the Turd.

um ok...

I don't know how I was a fanboi, other than enjoying both games... and feeling the need to defend them to idiots who never played them and spread lies about them. I am very willing to tell people about the things that do suck about either game. but I see to much of that shit being posted already. Hell I have even bashed both AOC and Vanguard. VG especially. I quit 3 times while playing it.

the fact is you will never be happy with ANY game that comes out. Darkfall is going to be the same.

you expect to much and you set yourself up for disapointment time and tme again.

I feel sorry for you really I do.

Ps: who the Fuck are you?

jonyak
05-29-2008, 16:03
Then I seem to be missing the majority of people you "piss" off, perhaps you should provide some links.

nah not gonna go reading through the hundreds of libertarian/guncontrol trash that litters this site.

hell even go look atthe other AOC thread... people are mad at me for my views there.

Spikey
05-29-2008, 16:08
Ps: who the Fuck are you?

Who the fuck are you?

jonyak
05-29-2008, 16:21
Who the fuck are you?

I am a golden god.

who the fuck are you?

the reason I asked him, was because he comes out of nowhere, I have never seen him post before, and makes accusations against me, which are fairly baseless.

Zwarp
05-29-2008, 16:23
hello.
I make post in thread now, so you can remember me in the future if i want to argue about something with you

terafis
05-29-2008, 16:27
I am a golden god.

who the fuck are you?

the reason I asked him, was because he comes out of nowhere, I have never seen him post before, and makes accusations against me, which are fairly baseless.

Don't fucking worry about who I am mate. I would be worried about why you are so easily led down the path by trash games, and then feel the need to defend them against all comers.

Anyone who wants to see this fuckwit defending Vanguard just has to take a quick trip over to silkyvenom. Jonyak was fairly foaming at the mouth defending VG over there.

Now he's back to his old tricks defending another turd of a game. Which I have commented on numerous times leading up to release.

Get over yourself, the game is an acknowledged piece of shit, and I for one and probably all the other DF forum members do not need to hear your fanboism over this fucking lame ass game.

Oh and PS - You are a fuckwit

Silverhandorder
05-29-2008, 16:35
LOL @ Jonyak. When will he learn people that follow DF only play quality games that deserve their money. I guess he just likes mediocre.

jonyak
05-29-2008, 16:36
Don't fucking worry about who I am mate. I would be worried about why you are so easily led down the path by trash games, and then feel the need to defend them against all comers.

Anyone who wants to see this fuckwit defending Vanguard just has to take a quick trip over to silkyvenom. Jonyak was fairly foaming at the mouth defending VG over there.

Now he's back to his old tricks defending another turd of a game. Which I have commented on numerous times leading up to release.

Get over yourself, the game is an acknowledged piece of shit, and I for one and probably all the other DF forum members do not need to hear your fanboism over this fucking lame ass game.

Oh and PS - You are a fuckwit

um ok...

how have I "foamed at the mouth over vg??"

show me a post where I did this please?

I actualy remember bitching abotu the game.

I also remember bitching at people who came to the site with the only intention of flameing the game. cause frankly I find it pathetic.

haha... maybe if you played the game a bit you would see thats its not all that bad.

but then again I really could care less what you think about the games I choose to play.

you on the other hand seem to be obsessed with the games I play, and how I talk about them.

I mean any post I posted on silky venom that was in favor of the game was done like a year and a half ago and you still remember me. funny.

jonyak
05-29-2008, 16:38
LOL @ Jonyak. When will he learn people that follow DF only play quality games that deserve their money. I guess he just likes mediocre.

haha, last I checked you weren't playing darkfall yet...

and you have no way to know if it will be quality.

Silverhandorder
05-29-2008, 16:40
haha, last I checked you weren't playing darkfall yet...

and you have no way to know if it will be quality.

I did not say DF will be a quality game, if it sucks I will not play it. But seeing how DF fan base hates AOC I can tell they will not stoop so low as too like shitty games. Forumfall rejects you!

jonyak
05-29-2008, 16:44
I did not say DF will be a quality game, if it sucks I will not play it. But seeing how DF fan base hates AOC I can tell they will not stoop so low as too like shitty games. Forumfall rejects you!

how is AOC shitty?

have you played it?

the only reason the forumfall fanbase hates AOC is because they see it as a threat to there game. The people on these forums are extremely insecure about there game because they don't even know if it exist.

AOC is not the perfect game. there will never be one. But I am playing it with my guild on a ffa pvp server and I am enjoying it more than any mmorpg I have played since UO. it is not a huge open game, but rather a more neverwinter nights style. which I like.

PS: what "quality" games are you playing right now? I am looking for a few.

Silverhandorder
05-29-2008, 17:03
Disciples 2
Warcraft 3
Supreme Commander
Team Fortress 2

These games are keeping me tied up. Waiting on spore and demigod.

Anyways AoC is shitty because it is mostly a clone of WoW. There are some subtle differences but all that does not matter when you look at over all feel of the game. As much as I like lore and the 1 to 80 aspect of the game. The main part I am interested in is what happens after level 80. That is why I like how DF has no levels. You skip the 1 to 80 grind. You can right away delve into lore and meaningful character development. I could go on but if you need me to explain these things maybe you are not cut out for DF.

Suitepee
05-29-2008, 17:17
Damn too late! I already have my 30 day CD trial happening and I'm playing the game and having to buy a new PC (needed one for a while anyway) just to play it smoothly.

If only you'd told me to not buy AoC a few days earlier! :lmao:

Fro
05-29-2008, 17:19
Damn too late! I already have my 30 day CD trial happening and I'm playing the game and having to buy a new PC (needed one for a while anyway) just to play it smoothly.

If only you'd told me to not buy AoC a few days earlier! :lmao:

So you like it?

jonyak
05-29-2008, 17:48
Disciples 2
Warcraft 3
Supreme Commander
Team Fortress 2

These games are keeping me tied up. Waiting on spore and demigod.

Anyways AoC is shitty because it is mostly a clone of WoW. There are some subtle differences but all that does not matter when you look at over all feel of the game. As much as I like lore and the 1 to 80 aspect of the game. The main part I am interested in is what happens after level 80. That is why I like how DF has no levels. You skip the 1 to 80 grind. You can right away delve into lore and meaningful character development. I could go on but if you need me to explain these things maybe you are not cut out for DF.

so have you actualy played AOC???

Eclipso
05-29-2008, 17:50
I am quite enjoying it.

some parts are getting boring and there are bugs and shit but whatever, they seem to be making an effort to fix them.

i still got my 30 days to decide.

When alot more people including myself get to level 80 and they implelemt the sieging i think it will get alot better imo.

( my 2p)

Silverhandorder
05-29-2008, 18:14
so have you actualy played AOC???

What does that have to do with anything? Do you deny it has levels? Do you deny it has classes? Do you deny it is instanced? Do you deny there can only be 48 people per instance? Do you deny it is qued combat? If not then stfu it is a shitty game.

edit: My point is I played WoW there is no point for em to play AoC besides the lore. Everything offered in AoC is offered in WoW.

jonyak
05-29-2008, 18:22
What does that have to do with anything? Do you deny it has levels? Do you deny it has classes? Do you deny it is instanced? Do you deny there can only be 48 people per instance? Do you deny it is qued combat? If not then stfu it is a shitty game.

edit: My point is I played WoW there is no point for em to play AoC besides the lore. Everything offered in AoC is offered in WoW.

have you played AOC?

Silverhandorder
05-29-2008, 18:25
have you played AOC?

foaming at the mouth fanboy?

Arkh
05-29-2008, 18:27
have you played AOC?

Go back to playing AOC instead of defending it on a forum.

jonyak
05-29-2008, 18:27
foaming at the mouth fanboy?

once again, this time please reply with a yes or no.

Have you played AOC?

Silverhandorder
05-29-2008, 18:30
once again, this time please reply with a yes or no.

Have you played AOC?

O__O is it not obvious that I have not? Why would I waste my money?

jonyak
05-29-2008, 18:33
O__O is it not obvious that I have not? Why would I waste my money?

if you have not played AOC, you cannot give any opinion on whether it sucks or not. it is not possible that you know if it sucks.

I am not trying to defend this game. just trying to out the idiots who make decision on whether a game sucks based on hear say.

you are going to be doing the same thing when darkfall comes out and you have 1 million kiddies on this forum or others complaining about how shitty it is.

go play it. 50$ for 30 days of free play is nothing. you might actualy find that you like it. that it is not as bad as you have judged it to be. if you don't like it then so be it.

Silverhandorder
05-29-2008, 18:40
Um no... thats not how real world works. You can tell if the game sucks or not from an unbiased review. So far what I herd goes against what I like to see in a game. It sucks to me. Apparently you set your bar lower.

Arkh
05-29-2008, 18:46
50$ for 30 days of free play
$50 = free for you ?

jonyak
05-29-2008, 18:47
Um no... thats not how real world works. You can tell if the game sucks or not from an unbiased review. So far what I herd goes against what I like to see in a game. It sucks to me. Apparently you set your bar lower.

where did you get your unbiased review? I personaly have never seen one myself.

and yes this is how it work in the real world, kid. people who make judgements based on thing they don't know are generaly considered ignorant.

you want my unbiased review?

Cons:
I don't like the instancing.

the world is not that big and is kind of all over the place.

the group system is atrocious.

the latency spikes are annoying as hell

Pros:
best quests I have seen in any mmorpg yet.

best graphics I have seen in any mmo yet

I like that the gear is not a big factor.

some of the coolest zones I have played in and they are HUGE.

The problem with you is that you mad eyour mind up that you were going to hate this game and no amount of people telling you its good will make you look at it. you only see what you want to see which is the bad things.

and if you think a review that only talks about the bad things is unbiased you are a moron.

Killuminati
05-29-2008, 18:49
Go back to playing AOC instead of defending it on a forum.

If the game were that good I don't see why you would bother posting about it.

Darq
05-29-2008, 18:54
If you don't look at it as an MMO, and take it for guild wars with better combat, it is fun enough.

As a bear shaman guy I've had a good deal of thought and consideration into my attacks. Repositioning to hit more than one guy at a time is another thing as well.

Is this game awesome? No. Is it good? No. Is it worth $50? Sure. It is at least as entertaining as going to see a few movies.

If anything, level up to 20 and just sit and continuously gank n00bs on the White Sands Island.

but it is a mmo or at least it's supposed to be one
it's 50€ here so thats
49.99 Euros = 77.599477 U.S. dollars
+ the fact that buddy keys don't work shows they're afraid and hoping for the hype effect to sell more copies
sure i'd like to try but i'm not buying a cat in the bag
especially if it's so similar to guild wars and you have to option to play in singleplayer mode and not be bothered by anyone hah wtf
but i'd like to see it with my own eyes so i'll wait for them to allow the buddy key activation

Darq
05-29-2008, 18:58
<...>
go play it. 50$ for 30 days of free play is nothing. you might actualy find that you like it. that it is not as bad as you have judged it to be. if you don't like it then so be it.

you could of course buy any singleplayer game with multiplayer capabilities and play for as long as you desire
expect ofc with the new DRM crap for instance EA is pulling with mass effect and spore.

jonyak
05-29-2008, 19:00
If the game were that good I don't see why you would bother posting about it.

was that directed at me?

I am only posting about it because I am bored at work.

jonyak
05-29-2008, 19:02
you could of course buy any singleplayer game with multiplayer capabilities and play for as long as you desire
expect ofc with the new DRM crap for instance EA is pulling with mass effect and spore.

yes you could. but frankly I have not played many singleplayer rpg games since neverwinter nights 1 that had a multiplayer part that was worth playing.

I do still play the battlefield games. not 2142, could never get into it. cool graphics and maps but I didn;t like the weapons, and the fact that I had to empty a whole clip into someone to kill them.

Silverhandorder
05-29-2008, 19:06
Pros:
best quests I have seen in any mmorpg yet.

best graphics I have seen in any mmo yet

I like that the gear is not a big factor.

This is not enough for me. Glad we settled that your bar for games is right on the floor, if not dug in good six feet.

jonyak
05-29-2008, 19:17
This is not enough for me. Glad we settled that your bar for games is right on the floor, if not dug in good six feet.

I don't really have a bar for games.

if it looks cool I try it. if it sucks, I stop playing it and find another game.

what do you want in a game?? you want everything. thats the problem. you will never be happy with a game.

I enjoy the game. I have a large guild to play it with. I am having fun playing it. if I stop having fun in a month so be it I will stop playing it. this does not mean the game sucks.

frankly I thought warcraft 3 and supreme commander were the 2 shittiest games I have ever played. they sucked so bad.

and you said you played wow... which is the worst mmorpg I have ever played. so obviously you set the bar pretty low yourself there buddy.

Vanno
05-29-2008, 19:17
Impressive review Ammon. Although, I am a bit confused. I thought you had ADD, or something to that extent. Writing a rather long review, and having the patience to deal with the game for as long as you did, suggests that you are cured.

Silverhandorder
05-29-2008, 19:24
I don't really have a bar for games.

if it looks cool I try it. if it sucks, I stop playing it and find another game.

what do you want in a game?? you want everything. thats the problem. you will never be happy with a game.

I enjoy the game. I have a large guild to play it with. I am having fun playing it. if I stop having fun in a month so be it I will stop playing it. this does not mean the game sucks.

frankly I thought warcraft 3 and supreme commander were the 2 shittiest games I have ever played. they sucked so bad.

and you said you played wow... which is the worst mmorpg I have ever played. so obviously you set the bar pretty low yourself there buddy.

First idc if you having fun or not. I don't care if you enjoy wearing that butt plug. Being purely objective about AoC it sucks. Why? Because it is a WoW clone. You just dissed WoW. I have a fair share of shitty games on my shelf (C&C3, Crysis). When a game sucks so glaringly like AoC there is no need for me to waste my time.

Whether you think War3 or supreme commander is shitty is irrelevant to this discussion. If you want to discuss what makes a game good or bad go make your own topic. This topic is a review for suckage you call AoC. Why would I play AoC when I experienced everything AoC has to offer in WoW?

edit: fanboys these days...

jonyak
05-29-2008, 19:29
First idc if you having fun or not. I don't care if you enjoy wearing that butt plug. Being purely objective about AoC it sucks. Why? Because it is a WoW clone. You just dissed WoW. I have a fair share of shitty games on my shelf (C&C3, Crysis). When a game sucks so glaringly like AoC there is no need for me to waste my time.

Whether you think War3 or supreme commander is shitty is irrelevant to this discussion. If you want to discuss what makes a game good or bad go make your own topic. This topic is a review for suckage you call AoC. Why would I play AoC when I experienced everything AoC has to offer in WoW?

edit: fanboys these days...

I have played both wow and AOC and I can say objectively they are not alike at all. other than the obvious lvl based system.

after that they are quite different.

and you arenot being purely objective here.

here is a good wiki entry on objectivity:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Objectivity_%28philosophy%29

edit: kids these days.

Killuminati
05-29-2008, 19:42
Impressive review Ammon. Although, I am a bit confused. I thought you had ADD, or something to that extent. Writing a rather long review, and having the patience to deal with the game for as long as you did, suggests that you are cured.

lmao

Silverhandorder
05-29-2008, 20:04
You forgot to mention it has levels. Non fps combat system. Classes. No significant way to distinguish your self.

jonyak
05-29-2008, 20:07
You forgot to mention it has levels. Non fps combat system. Classes. No significant way to distinguish your self.

and thats different from every other mmorpg out there right now how?

games can still be fun with all of those things.

Silverhandorder
05-29-2008, 20:19
and thats different from every other mmorpg out there right now how?

games can still be fun with all of those things.

Its not different.... That was my point I played that old formula, it is boring now.

Ammon777
05-29-2008, 20:22

Actually I would consider it a decent system.

Dell 8250
Pentium 4 @ 3 gigahertz
1.5 gigs of super high quality memory (was really expensive at the time of purchase)
200 gigs hard drive space

Early December 2007 I replaced my old video card with this one:
BFG Tech GeForce 7800GS 256MB 256-bit GDDR3 AGP 4X/8X

Since my system only capable of AGP card, it was the highest quality card that I could find at newegg and elsewhere.

And I got the computer with my own money.

Ammon777
05-29-2008, 20:27
Ammon777, you are the fucking man. Anyone tries to give you shit over this review is going to love getting owned in Darkfall. Seriously, what the shit were the developers of Age of Conan thinking when they poked fun of Darkfall with Age of Conan's laughable state.

HATS OF TO DARKFALL HOORAY
This makes my day, thanks buddy. :p

Ammon777
05-29-2008, 20:33
I agree console games ported to PC suck, at least when they retain the crappy UI and don't make adjustments for mouse, keyboard and sitting closer to the screen; IE always. But AoC was developed for PC first and only afterwards will they make it for console. I can't say it has the same weaknesses that Oblivion had because of being a console game primarily; it has pretty standard PC inventory and equipment management f ex and the ability to click on stuff to use them, loot or select etc instead of the targeting by facing that it also has and likely is the modus operandi for console gamers and BTW Oblivion had exclusively I think.
But I already posted the proof that AoC was designed for console while they released on PC first. So they created a console game for PC.

Kat999
05-29-2008, 20:43
Hi,

UO was my first and last MMORPG game and I played until the Trammel stuff came out. I'm waiting now for Dakfall. As we don't know when the Beta will be released (and if I get a chance to play it :) ), I'm looking for a game for now ... and I guess players waiting for Darkfall have quite the same view of what a good MMORPG game should be. Got any advice ? Thought of Age of Conan these days and read the Ammon777 interesting review - a friend told me about the same -, are there other opinions ?

Thanks and see you,

Ammon777
05-29-2008, 20:46
Hi,

UO was my first and last MMORPG game and I played until the Trammel stuff came out. I'm waiting now for Dakfall. As we don't know when the Beta will be released (and if I get a chance to play it :) ), I'm looking for a game for now ... and I guess players waiting for Darkfall have quite the same view of what a good MMORPG game should be. Got any advice ? Thought of Age of Conan these days and read the Ammon777 interesting review - a friend told me about the same -, are there other opinions ?

Thanks and see you,
Wait 6 months or less and Darkfall will probably be coming out. Otherwise, until then, play Battlefield 1942 because it still kicks ass and will prepare you for Darkfall better than anything else except for Mount & Blade.

Uzik
05-29-2008, 20:50
I honestly like AoC.

I am still playing, and still enjoying it.

Is it some super deep, sandbox game? No. Is it better than anything currently out? Yes.

The PvP is fun and the environment is beautiful. The sounds are immersive, and the music blends in perfectly.

AoC is basically Guildwars on a massive scale. But it is still cool regardless.

Ammon777
05-29-2008, 20:57
I dont deny that some people will like it.

I am just saying its the same ole shit.

BTW I dont have ADD, I have whats called "a penis." Its a rubbery stretchy hose with bone-like properties used for sexual pleasure and breeding on female versions of our species. We also "pee" out of it to releave the liquid out of our bodies that builds up after drinking coffee.

jonyak
05-29-2008, 21:03
Actually I would consider it a decent system.

Dell 8250
Pentium 4 @ 3 gigahertz
1.5 gigs of super high quality memory (was really expensive at the time of purchase)
200 gigs hard drive space

Early December 2007 I replaced my old video card with this one:
BFG Tech GeForce 7800GS 256MB 256-bit GDDR3 AGP 4X/8X

Since my system only capable of AGP card, it was the highest quality card that I could find at newegg and elsewhere.

And I got the computer with my own money.

sorry dude... that is not a "decent" system today.

thats actualy a really shitty system.

I have already gone through 2 generations of systems since I had one liek that.

I currently have:

core 2 duo E8400 3 GHz processor
4 GB of 800mHz ram
Nvidea 8800gt 1Gb videocard
creative labs x-fi platinum soundcard
and collectively a terrabyte of harddrive space.

I get 50-90 FPS in age of conan. everything high.... no AA

with 16q x aa I get like 30 FPS.

thats the kind of system you need now adays to play new games with the graphics all on high.

Ammon777
05-29-2008, 21:08
Well my computer is over 4 years old (I am gonna buy a new one early 2009), but my system still sits smack in the middle between Funcom's AoC minimum requirements and recommended requirements. Also computer performance wasnt my big complaint, the issue is that I dont like the game's design & mechanics.

Its decent for being bought 4 years ago and still usable to this day.

jonyak
05-29-2008, 21:25
Well my computer is over 4 years old (I am gonna buy a new one early 2009), but my system still sits smack in the middle between Funcom's AoC minimum requirements and recommended requirements. Also computer performance wasnt my big complaint, the issue is that I dont like the game's design & mechanics.

Its decent for being bought 4 years ago and still usable to this day.

yes it is...

the problem with requirements is that they are usualy way off.

minimum is usualy the bare minimum to even have the game run at all.

reccomended is what you should have to run the game at a "playable" rate.

if you want great perormance you almost always need to way overshoot the specs.

Barbot
05-29-2008, 21:48
LOL! You are backing Age of Conan but bashing WoW even though AoC is a complete carbon copy of WoW. They copied over the whole game, replaced the auto attack for pressing 1 2 or 3 every second, added tits, and added zoning for every 100 ingame feet. The quest system, skill use system, interface, character attributes, and skill advancement/talent system were basically just injected into AoC. You must be blind if you haven't noticed that anything except for the bullshit "real time" combat system is directly from WoW. The only original thing in the whole game are the classes, and even then while some of them are quite unique, most are still pretty generic.

Suitepee
05-29-2008, 22:38
So you like it?

Well due to my PC now being outdated enough to fall within the minimal requirements for AoC and having to turn shader modelling off to be able to see the game,AoC runs slowly and I have to set everything on lowest to play.

So I can't really tell much about AoC so far. The NPC cinematics aren't really that good to be honest,and sometimes drags on a bit (especially when you kill the level 3 slave master boss).
The intro run-in to Tortage is fairly decent,and I've got a fair amount of quests to be getting on with inside Tortage.

That being said,so far I'm only a level 6 Assassin so I haven't seen much of AoC. So far so average-ish though.

Can't wait to buy a new PC and get better graphics to view it with though (and Darkfall for the future,of course!).

Cribble
05-29-2008, 22:41
I cancelled my sub and uninstalled it

Ammon777
05-29-2008, 22:49
sorry dude... that is not a "decent" system today.

thats actualy a really shitty system.

I have already gone through 2 generations of systems since I had one liek that.

I currently have:

core 2 duo E8400 3 GHz processor
4 GB of 800mHz ram
Nvidea 8800gt 1Gb videocard
creative labs x-fi platinum soundcard
and collectively a terrabyte of harddrive space.

I get 50-90 FPS in age of conan. everything high.... no AA

with 16q x aa I get like 30 FPS.

thats the kind of system you need now adays to play new games with the graphics all on high.
Whatever. In my opinion, your point is moot, and here is why.

Your nice computer still doesnt change the fact that some people who have as good or even better systems than yours, are still having problems with performance. I listened to a few people in world chat channel complaining that they had top-of-the-line current computer systems and they were getting worse frames-per-second than I was. The fact remains that the game engine does not consistently give good results. Some people with "medium" computers (like mine) run it just fine while higher-end computers cant run it as good. I ran it pretty good, but it was still frustrating when it took 10-15 seconds to load an immediate area after running for 20 in-game yards. Sure, it has really high-quality textures and stuff but that doesnt change the fact that computers that are supposed to run it excellently are having problems.

Thats called not being ready for release. Typical MMO industry standard.

edit -- Also I was out of Tortage for 12 levels (I played up to level 32), and I found out that performance changes based on where you are, what zone you are in, and what part of the zone you are in. Tortage was generally OK performance, but those Cimmeran towns in the snowy lands -- OMFG I was walking down a hillside, everything up to that point was hunky-dory, and all of a sudden everything just STOPPED. My computer wasnt frozen, neither DirectX nor the game had crashed, and my harddrive was fucking running solid light. I said "okey, I better wait for this to load." I waited 15 MINUTES. My character moved a few steps in about a minute, but it continued to stall. So I shut down the computer, rebooted, and loaded up the game again. I lowered all graphics settings to absolute minimums to get out of that certain area which was a painful task because performance was shit at the that area no matter what, then turned things up to medium settings again. I found that the same thing happened in several other areas, such as where the spiders were in the snowy Valley. Some you tards like to pretend that I didnt play this game much and that I dont have much experience -- I say blow it out your fucking ass, twats.

Cribble
05-29-2008, 23:22
I suck funcom's balls
Thought so.Is quote malforming illegal?

jonyak
05-30-2008, 03:29
the insecurity shown in the thread is amazing.

Barbot
05-30-2008, 03:36
Ya, I guess you are too insecure to admit to being wrong.

Skree
05-30-2008, 04:01

I thought you'd like this....

sorry. I don't know how I could be considered a carebear as I have played ffa pvp on every game I have ever played starting with UO.

AOC is the best mmorpg I have personaly ever played.

And the best of all:

The fun is and should be in playing the levels and leveling. not the endgame.

Skree

GRCPan
05-30-2008, 04:03
A game that is boring from day 1 is bad end of story.
If someone likes it I don't give a shit, there are retards everywhere.

Ammon777
05-30-2008, 04:19
Uh huh. Go back to AoC!

Razel
05-30-2008, 07:29
meh i just tell people its a cross between wow, lineage 2 and guild wars. None of my friends except one has bought it because of what i said. Mind you i'd actually pick up a copy if alot of friends were playing it however i can easily talk them out of it. I suppose... if you like graphics, gear and grinding till you puke it would make a good pve game, but then again there are plenty of pve games to choose from on the market already. aoc makes lineage 2 look good... that should speak volumes.

Suitepee
05-30-2008, 08:52
jonyak. Assassins are apparently worthless at this current time. You agree?

MandorRook
05-30-2008, 08:57

Assassination in a non-permadeath game still can have value in specific situations. Pretty much any situation where the full loot feature would make it disastrous for someone to die. Like if they were carrying a challenge chard or transporting a rare artifact from the place it was obtained to the nearest bank. Or during an exchange of rare goods etc. This may make the assassin little more than a murdering theif, but the profession could still have some value. If NPCs perma die, and play an important role in the world, then killing off a specific NPC that is of value to the enemy is also a valid and traditional assassination. Perhaps in the weeks leading up to a decisive attack on a city, assassins are contracted to kill off specific highly skilled NPCs that guard the city forcing the enemy to either replace them or leave their city weakened.

jonyak
05-30-2008, 16:47
I thought you'd like this....

And the best of all:
Skree

I don't get it.

jonyak
05-30-2008, 16:48

I dunno I have not played one.

but every time I get killed its by an assassin poping up behind me and 2 hitting me.

so they can't be that bad.

jonyak
05-30-2008, 16:51

being wrong about what??? the fact that I like the game?

geez... I must be wrong.

you have made no sense.

why is it so hard for forumfallers to understand that people can like other games. and that hating a game based on what someone else tells you is idiotic.

once again, stop acting all butthurt that AOC came out before darkfall and will probably have more subscribers than darkfall ever will.

yes I am waiting for darkfall because personaly it is more of the kind of game I want to play, but AOC is not a bad game. it is fun for what it is.

Kat999
05-30-2008, 17:22
Dont understand why you talked about the "system" you had. That wont change how fun is the game if you have full details or not. UO is still the best MMORPG game I know and probably the one with the worst graphism ...

Well, in general, except jonyak (and I totally agree with that "yes I am waiting for darkfall because personaly it is more of the kind of game I want to play, but AOC is not a bad game. it is fun for what it is. "), the opinions are pretty bad so I might look for another one :)

Kat999
05-30-2008, 17:26
A little explanation of what I wrote :
I totally agree with jonyak in the sense that you can like playing AoC because it's just fun or a good game AND waiting for Darkfall that you know is more the kind of game you want to play.

Good we all,

Silverhandorder
05-30-2008, 17:37

geez... I must be wrong.

you have made no sense.

why is it so hard for forumfallers to understand that people can like other games. and that hating a game based on what someone else tells you is idiotic.

once again, stop acting all butthurt that AOC came out before darkfall and will probably have more subscribers than darkfall ever will.

yes I am waiting for darkfall because personaly it is more of the kind of game I want to play, but AOC is not a bad game. it is fun for what it is.

It's good for people who have not played WoW. The rest of us would rather play something new.

Keely
05-30-2008, 17:55

once again, stop acting all butthurt that AOC came out before darkfall and will probably have more subscribers than darkfall ever will.What you fail to see is that you come off as just as much of a rabid fanboi of AoC as the forumfallers you mock. It's not so unbelievable that someone can hate something they've never played. It happens all the time in real life.

Originally Posted by Suitepee

I dunno I have not played one.

but every time I get killed its by an assassin poping up behind me and 2 hitting me.

so they can't be that bad.Since you didn't answer his question, I will. They are pretty much worthless. The only way an assassin is really viable in pvp is to stealth, get off the hit and pray to god that whoever you've struck is a squishy with no CC, no heals or knockback. Otherwise, they are dead. The question of the all hailed end game, and assassins, is brought up quite often. They're DPS is pure single target. Sure they can make it behind enemy lines and maybe take out one caster or healer before they get dead but so could a ranger or barbarian. But they'd probably do it better and live to take out another target, the assassin, unlikely.

I am playing AoC and will say its a fun enough game for what it is, I suppose. I doubt it will keep my interest for long but for now there are worse games.

Instancing doesn't bother me all that much but I will add that they have the number of people before a new instance respawns, set way too low. I've been in many zones where I've never seen more than 10 other players.

Playability on low systems is an issue. It's an issue for some on high end systems too. I myself don't have a problem so I can't comment beyond that. But all one has to do is look at their tech forums for five minutes to know how much of an issue it is, on both sides of the coin.

As it stands, it probably shouldn't have been released yet. Those that scream and shout that their aren't many bugs are full of it. That or they are purposefully blind. At current it is one of the buggiest games I've seen in a long time be it mmo or an sp game. We're talking small bugs all the way up to the huge ones like that cause BSOD's. Or there are times where your teammate an you are standing right beside each other yet, gasp, neither of you can see the other.

On several occasions I've gone into a quest with my team and we all supposedly ended up in the same instance but not so much. Many feats, skills or talents, whatever you prefer to call them are broken. Some don't even have comprehensible descriptions of what they are supposed to do. And yet some fanboys will scream and shout that this isn't true, feats aren't broken. Sure sparky, maybe not for the build you're playing but for many others that isn't the case. A lot of quests, especially the higher you go, are bugged or broken.

Priests, at current, are the most overpowered class in the game. Priests! It's mind boggling.

Not like an arcade game or its not a button masher? In what world? I'll go a step further than calling it just an arcade button masher and say its like that old game where the lights light up and you have to follow them in sequential order. Because that is essentially what combos are. You even have the handy dandy guide, that pops up on the screen, for what the press next, each time you start a combo. Now for spell casters, you can toss a spell into the middle of the combo (if you're fast about it) but at the end its still follow the leader button mashing with just ...more buttons to mash.

My oddest, and biggest, pet peeve in AoC to date is that I feel like the opening area, Tortage, was the biggest dangling carrot of pretty that later turned out to be rotten. Oh, shiny, they even did a decent job with voice acting. Hmm, intriguing...that goes on right until you get out of the opening area and that voice acting that was so shiny at first, winks out of existence because it no longer exists.

My second biggest pet peeve is that their are actually level restrictions on gathering. On freaking gathering for pete's sake, when I can see the node I need right freaking there, 10 feet away in the same zone, and I'm perfectly capable of getting it without being in any sort of danger. But no, can't have that. Come back in another 10 levels.

Now, having said all that, AoC can be fun in its own right. You just have to be willing to overlook a little or a lot, depending on each player. I do enjoy playing it a few hours here and there but like now, for instance, I could be playing yet have no real desire to do so atm. The quests can be fun but the game has yet to suck me in and steal my soul like others before it.

I have zero issues over AoC coming out before DF. A lot of games have come out since I first started watching DF. Big deal. Will DF be better? Hard to say since I've never played it. On paper it has potential but then, so does AoC. And don't mistake me, I do think AoC does have potential but I think it has an equal chance of being ruined by the devs, from what I've seen so far of them.

Four hour daily downtimes with minimalistic, one liners for update patch notes, and almost zero response to the community says it all. And to preempt anyone saying its new, they'll get better...perhaps they will. But if they aren't telling anyone anything now, I have a hard time believing that will change.

It's good for people who have not played WoW. The rest of us would rather play something new.And this maybe why I find it fun at times. I did not play WoW.

morde
05-30-2008, 17:57
It's good for people who have not played WoW. The rest of us would rather play something new.

We know who hasn't played AoC ^^^

jonyak
05-30-2008, 18:08
What you fail to see is that you come off as just as much of a rabid fanboi of AoC as the forumfallers you mock. It's not so unbelievable that someone can hate something they've never played. It happens all the time in real life.

I am not mocking them.

I only voiced my opinion of the game and was attacked for it.

I then tried to defend the game from morons who have never played it, yet acted like authorities on it. If you did this in any other thread about any other topic on this forum you would be flamed off the board.

I know its beleivable, the point is that it is ignorant, closed minded and wrong to hate something you know nothing about and have never tried yourself.

Silverhandorder
05-30-2008, 18:36
We know who hasn't played AoC ^^^

Sure thing buddy when you at 80 come back and talk to me. I will predict somethings for you. At 80 you will have two choice, just two. First one to PvE grind and the second one is PvP grind.

Osirus
05-30-2008, 21:23
- It's even more instance based than WoW, to the level of GW.

I will definitely agree so far, but I've just recently left Tortage ...

- It's constantly reading from the HD. The constant pagefile hits cause horrible stuttering, dropping into the single digit FPS at times. I could always get moar RAM, but this is the first game to put pressure on 2GB.

- Because of a possible memory leak in the current version, I can only play for ~1 hour at a time (if I'm lucky), before I get an "out of memory" error.

I've seen the low FPS at times on this crap 256MB AGP card; it isn't pretty, but it's playable ... barely. I've been able to play for several hours uninterrupted, and I've never seen an "out of memory" error.

- The "real combat" system, which was supposed to distinguish AoC from cookiecutter WoW clones, fails to impress. It accomplishes its goal...barely. The only new thing it brings to the table is getting rid of auto-attack, and the gimmicky triple shields and button press combos.
We want real combat, not "real combat". We want real combat, not buttonpushing minigames.

they made a move in the right direction, they just didn't follow through with the 'umph' they should have.

- The PVP system is retarded, with no goals (at low levels anyway), and allows people to be spawncamped for hours. I don't blame players who "grief" people, it's the game's fault.
At least it lets you attack whoever you want... but nothing else. No cities, dynamic economies, territorial conquest, etc.

they've 'fixed' spawn camping with a temp immunity timer; I've heard they plan to implement an anti-spawn camping measure, that would port excessive spawn campers to a prison like quest area, where they have to perform crap tasks to be ported back to the main game.

- The game is heavily level based. If there's real PvP at level 80, that's useless to me at level 21, isn't it? Maybe there IS sieging and huge battles at level 80. The point is, if there are, I sure don't know about it. What the fuck are levels 1-79 for, a big time sink? And this was supposed to be different from WoW... how?

the game is certainly level based ... and AoC does appear to be WoW rev. 2.3!

- The combat is still (character) level and gear dependant. This was supposed to be a (player) skill based game? Oh sure, it adds maybe 2 minor improvements over WoW, but come on. You beat WoW. Is that something to be proud of?

testify!

You still have "targetting" and magic heat-seeking projectiles. You still have stat based diceroll combat.

no targetting or heat-seeking projectiles in ranged first person(as a Ranger anyway).

- Overall, the game still feels like a roller coaster, theme park, arcade ride. A far cry from the totally free, open, sandboxy Darkfall. Remind me again why there were any swipes taken at all between AoC and DF? The two are nothing alike, and cannot possibly be in competition!

It seems to me, the AoC/DF conflict can only be explained by AoC purporting themselves to be the "something new", "something different", "the Anti-WoW". However, what they ending up making was not something new, or different. It is very much like WoW, and where it differs from WoW, it's similar to Guild Wars. The new things they bring to the table are entirely superficial: boobs and "real" combat gimmicky minigames.

preach on!

Fortunately, I never had hopes for AoC to be a DF replacement; just a timewaster.

exactly.

one thing I will give them on the instances, there's a huge difference between epic and normal mode.

Barbot
05-30-2008, 22:20

geez... I must be wrong.

you have made no sense.

You obviously didn't read my earlier post. I wasn't saying you were wrong for liking AoC. I was saying WoW and AoC are the same game so you're idiot for defending AoC to the death but then insulting anyone who played WoW.

morde
05-30-2008, 22:32
You obviously didn't read my earlier post. I wasn't saying you were wrong for liking AoC. I was saying WoW and AoC are the same game so you're idiot for defending AoC to the death but then insulting anyone who played WoW.

I don't love AoC(fucking zones) thats for sure, but its not the exact same as WoW. Not unless WoW got collision detection, FFA, and sieging and I wasn't aware of it. Even the attack / targeting system is different. Also, I don't think I've played a MMO where a normal melee attack has the chance to hit more than 1 target and not be designated AOE.