PDA

View Full Version : 11 year-old dies from treatable diabetes

Delwyn
03-28-2008, 17:21
http://www.weau.com/home/headlines/16996006.html
http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/chi-ap-wi-prayerdeath,0,4240400.story

Evidently her parents thought god would heal her.

Well, he didnt.

WAUSAU, Wis. (AP) -- Authorities say a frantic 911 call to the Marathon County Sheriff's Department from the home of an 11-year-old Weston girl who died from untreated diabetes was made by friends of the girl's parents.

Captain Scott Sleeter of the Everest Metro Police Department says Randall and Althea Wormgoor each spoke to a dispatcher Sunday as chaos and cries could be heard in the background at the Dale and Leilani Neumann home in rural Weston.

Madeline Neumann died that day from an undiagnosed and treatable form of diabetes. Her parents prayed for her to get better. Her mother, Leilani Neumann, says she never expected her daughter to die.

Mrs. Neumann says the family believes in the Bible, and it says healing comes from God.

(Copyright 2008 by The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved.)

Original story:

Police say an 11-year-old Weston girl died from not being treated for her diabetes and investigators say her parents decided not to seek medical attention but, instead, prayed over her.

Madeline Neumann died Sunday. Police say an autopsy determined the girl died from a diabetic ailment that left too little insulin in her body. She had probably been ill for about 30 days.

Investigators say the girl's parents attributed the death to the fact they apparently didn't have enough faith.

Hitom
03-28-2008, 17:34
The real question is, who will be sued?

MinusInnocence
03-28-2008, 17:35
Not enough faith, indeed. Maybe if they had stopped the friends from dialing 911 she would have miraculously woken up.

Durindana
03-28-2008, 17:49
only question is, how long do you throw the parents in lockup for

Capricious
03-28-2008, 17:53
Someone tell me where in the bible it says that you should refuse medical treatment...fucking idiots.

Jargo
03-28-2008, 18:01
Death attributed to retarded delusional parents more like it. No one should ever be excused for allowing their child to die by refusing medical treatment on basis of religion. This is not a freedom of religion issue, they fucking murdered their daughter and I hope they both get locked up.

Tiberias
03-28-2008, 18:05
Reminds me of a joke I heard once:

A guy lives in a house, and there is a flood coming. The sheriff comes by and tells him it's time to evacuate, get in the Jeep and be rescued. The man said "no thanks God will save me."
The waters start to rise, and his bottom floor is flooded, he's sitting on his porch roof and a boat comes along with an emergency crew. They yell "come get in the boat and be rescued!" But he says, "no thanks God will save me."
The waters continue to rise, and he is now perched atop the very peak of his roof. A helicopter comes by and with a bullhorn a crewman yells down, "Grab the line, we'll pull you up and rescue you!" But the man refuses, again saying that God will rescue him.

So he drowns.

He gets to heaven and says "God I thought you would rescue me, what up?!?" And God says, "Well I sent a Jeep, a Boat, and a Helicopter."

Death's Chill
03-28-2008, 18:07
Death attributed to retarded delusional parents more like it. No one should ever be excused for allowing their child to die by refusing medical treatment on basis of religion. This is not a freedom of religion issue, they fucking murdered their daughter and I hope they both get locked up.

If it was for any other reason they would already be in jail, but they have faith in God, you can't lock up innocent sheep like that! :rolleyes:

Nasty
03-28-2008, 18:08

A guy lives in a house, and there is a flood coming. The sheriff comes by and tells him it's time to evacuate, get in the Jeep and be rescued. The man said "no thanks God will save me."
The waters start to rise, and his bottom floor is flooded, he's sitting on his porch roof and a boat comes along with an emergency crew. They yell "come get in the boat and be rescued!" But he says, "no thanks God will save me."
The waters continue to rise, and he is now perched atop the very peak of his roof. A helicopter comes by and with a bullhorn a crewman yells down, "Grab the line, we'll pull you up and rescue you!" But the man refuses, again saying that God will rescue him.

So he drowns.

He gets to heaven and says "God I thought you would rescue me, what up?!?" And God says, "Well I sent a Jeep, a Boat, and a Helicopter."

I loled a little. Great story.

Death's Chill
03-28-2008, 18:09
I concur. I actually laughed in real life. ;)

Delwyn
03-28-2008, 18:09

So he drowns.

That was actually really good.

Capricious
03-28-2008, 18:18
I've heard that joke many times as well. Good stuff.

Baralis
03-28-2008, 18:20
I give props to the parents for fully standing up for what they believe. Its just a shame that a innocent child had to die because they were wrong.

LanMandragon
03-28-2008, 18:21

So he drowns.

Not only funny but true

Tiberias
03-28-2008, 19:07
Hmmm, I'll have to start telling that joke more often...

Ftang
03-28-2008, 19:17
dozens of these cases happen every year, but ive never heard what consequences the parents suffered. please tell me they are gonna get done for manslaughter or worse?

Incanam
03-28-2008, 19:18
Hmmm, I'll have to start telling that joke more often...

That was from that 10 Commandments movie no?

Tad
03-28-2008, 19:18
I give props to the parents for fully standing up for what they believe. Its just a shame that a innocent child had to die because they were wrong.

Let them stand up for their beliefs with their own lives. Doing it with somebody else's is cowardly.

Jargo
03-28-2008, 19:27
Let them stand up for their beliefs with their own lives. Doing it with somebody else's is cowardly.

No only cowardly – its murder.

Bawlin
03-28-2008, 19:34
Epic phail.

Villa
03-28-2008, 19:54
Not enough hate in this thread.
I blame the lack of Islamz in the original article.

BladeSLicer
03-28-2008, 20:40
Someone tell me where in the bible it says that you should refuse medical treatment...fucking idiots.

Heh that's what I always wonder, it's alright to be religious, but why the hell should your forsake modern medicine?

Here's a rather funny story about a situation like this.

"One day, a man was out fishing when his boat sunk. He was swimming around in the ocean all day when another boat came by. They tried to help him aboard, but it said "No thanks, God will save me" and shooed them away.

The next day another boat approached him and offered him assistance. Again he said "No thankyou, God is coming to save me" so they went on their way.

After another day or so the man grew tired, went limp, and finally drowned.

Once in heaven, he went up to God and asked him "I never lost faith that you would save me, so why did you forsake me out there?" to which God replied "Forsake you? I sent you two damn boats!"

I always liked this story, it just fits so perfectly with this kind of situation.

Tiberias
03-28-2008, 21:08
Heh that's what I always wonder, it's alright to be religious, but why the hell should your forsake modern medicine?

Here's a rather funny story about a situation like this.

"One day, a man was out fishing when his boat sunk. He was swimming around in the ocean all day when another boat came by. They tried to help him aboard, but it said "No thanks, God will save me" and shooed them away.

The next day another boat approached him and offered him assistance. Again he said "No thankyou, God is coming to save me" so they went on their way.

After another day or so the man grew tired, went limp, and finally drowned.

Once in heaven, he went up to God and asked him "I never lost faith that you would save me, so why did you forsake me out there?" to which God replied "Forsake you? I sent you two damn boats!"

I always liked this story, it just fits so perfectly with this kind of situation.

I already told that story on page 1.

Jargo
03-28-2008, 21:11

Now thats fucking funny.

BladeSLicer
03-28-2008, 21:29

Dammit, I never get to tell the cool stories.

Your version was admittedly better though. :p

Marrik
03-28-2008, 21:45
if they hadnt called 911, there daughter might still be alive.

YOU SEE WHAT HAPPENS WHEN YOU LOSE FAITH, YOU FILTHY HERETICS??

Hyster
03-28-2008, 22:02
why is it people these days do shit like this , i remember reading about a kid that when phyco and dad&mom knew he needed med help but as sciencetologist they couldnt use med or some shit like that

alfaroverall
03-28-2008, 22:18

So he drowns.

I laughed a bit. That one was good.

Anyway, god damned (pardon the pun) idiots, thinking "God will save her." No one ever stopped to think that oh, maybe God's saving her was (as above) the advent of modern medicine?

[LoD] EE
03-28-2008, 23:53
Dammit, I never get to tell the cool stories.

Your version was admittedly better though. :p

If more people read the entire thread before posting, you would not have people, such as yourself, who post the same damned stuff 15 times in one thread.

Tiberias
03-29-2008, 00:00
uh...OMGEGAH WHERE ARE TEH SIGS AT GUYZ??!?!

Wreatch
03-29-2008, 00:29
Despite your opinions, these people, by law, will not be found guilty of murder.

They didn't know she had diabetes, as most of the symptoms of juvenile diabetes mimic the flu, and its very difficult to diagnose. The law also states that the parents cannot be charged, if in good faith, they chose prayer as treatment.

The onset of this had apparently happened very quickly, like a flu, then bam she was dead. Could have happened to any parent. Scary.

Koooz
03-29-2008, 01:00
could've happened to any parent

I choose: would've happened to any parent that tried prayer in lieu of treatment.

BladeSLicer
03-29-2008, 01:49
EE;1256305']If more people read the entire thread before posting, you would not have people, such as yourself, who post the same damned stuff 15 times in one thread.

Twice, actually.

It's ironic, though, as I often feel the same way, being the one that usually reads through the whole thread. I read a couple responses in, saw a post I wanted to reply to, and did so.

Anyway, congrats on your +1, I'm thrilled about mine! :D

Pcheez
03-29-2008, 04:11
THE JEEEESUS WORKS IN MYSTEEEERRRIOUS WAYS MY BROTHA

Seriously i would pimpslap those parents so hard they bleed piss.

Marbo
03-29-2008, 04:41
Hmm, I never understood it. If you are going to be that fundamental, can't you use all the earth's resources such as medicines to treat sicknesses, since it was all made by God? sigh.....

Jezrith
03-29-2008, 04:49
Yeah its pretty fucking stupid, but saying they should be thrown in jail is even worse. The minute you give the government the privilege to decide what health care treatment a child should get in-lieu of the parents is the minute we tumble down a steep and slippery slope. Now, a civil suit on the other hand, that's a different matter.

Xtra-Medium
03-29-2008, 04:55
Those fanatic parents deserved it, i hope there faith is shaken and they become less of believers. Poor girl though, sometimes parents fuck shit up but never that bad.

ppsh42
03-29-2008, 05:02
These kind of people make Christianity look like a stock of idiots. Its nowhere stated in the bible that one should refuse medical care just because God is the true healer. God can heal people through the hands of Doctors and modern medicine, not a of blast of "Get Well" from heaven.
-Idiots!-

Pcheez
03-29-2008, 06:56
These kind of people make Christianity look like a stock of idiots. Its nowhere stated in the bible that one should refuse medical care just because God is the true healer. God can heal people through the hands of Doctors and modern medicine, not a of blast of "Get Well" from heaven.
-Idiots!-

Jehova's witnesses are best.

Solaan
03-29-2008, 07:54
I've heard that joke many times as well. Good stuff.

Same here...

The general christian fanatic population are stupid as hell. :bang::bang:

Fluffington
03-29-2008, 08:40
I suggest suing god for malpractice.

Viranth
03-29-2008, 08:41
Despite your opinions, these people, by law, will not be found guilty of murder.

They didn't know she had diabetes, as most of the symptoms of juvenile diabetes mimic the flu, and its very difficult to diagnose. The law also states that the parents cannot be charged, if in good faith, they chose prayer as treatment.

The onset of this had apparently happened very quickly, like a flu, then bam she was dead. Could have happened to any parent. Scary.

It's very easy to diagnose type 1 diabetes.

One of the factors is that you pee a lot, because you BG is above 10mmol, which makes the body try to get rid of the excess sugar. Therefor people drink a lot, not one glass a lot, I mean a bottle of water and still feel thirsty.

Diabetes can get triggered because of a virus, so that might have been covering it somewhat, but 30 days? Parents were basically slowly torturing their child to death.

Rovo
03-29-2008, 08:58
uh...OMGEGAH WHERE ARE TEH SIGS AT GUYZ??!?!

testing...my sig better still be there

edit damn

Fluffington
03-29-2008, 09:00
testing...my sig better still be there

edit damn

Signatures were removed because they are doing something to the servers. It`s in a sticky. They will be back soon.

Cheezo
03-29-2008, 10:07
I could swear I've seen a movie about a situation just like this before. In fact, I believe the kid in the movie had diabetes, as well.

Marrik
03-29-2008, 14:32
Hmm, I never understood it. If you are going to be that fundamental, can't you use all the earth's resources such as medicines to treat sicknesses, since it was all made by God? sigh.....

except dinosaur bones. those were made by Satan to confuse us.

Suitepee
03-29-2008, 14:54

Well to do that,people would actually have to read the Bible extensively.
And most Christians probably don't do that,they might just read the odd section or two. (or be quoted it at church)

By the way,according to the Bible anyone with a letter Y in their name is an advocate of the 3rd Devil of Doom.
So watch out for them.

Oh,and ban religion. Villa,make the post happen!

Lethn
03-29-2008, 15:00
"Quick! Someone call 911!"

"....No! We must wait for god to heal her!"

Stupid morons the reason she died of diabetes was probably because they overfed her and didn't take care of her or pay attention to her properly.

Daarco
03-29-2008, 15:28
I would understand if the parents didnt know how bad it was and just ignored it.
But now they choose to not call 911 and try some paying instead. What if their next child is hit by a car and the parents would do the same thing again?

Viluin
03-29-2008, 19:54
This is why religion needs to be banned.

ppsh42
03-29-2008, 23:20
By the way,according to the Bible anyone with a letter Y in their name is an advocate of the 3rd Devil of Doom.
So watch out for them.

Please tell me where that is written. My friends name is Yelsiy and that name is from the Bible.

ppsh42
03-29-2008, 23:24
This is why religion needs to be banned.

This is why you fail.

Viluin
03-30-2008, 01:07
This is why you fail.

Please give me 1 good thing religion causes.

Tad
03-30-2008, 01:08

Priests don't chase women leaving more for me.

<insert priests molest boys joke for response>

Viluin
03-30-2008, 01:12
Priests don't chase women leaving more for me.

<insert priests molest boys joke for response>

Yeah, but women don't want faggy priests anyways so it's an invalid argument.

Tiberias
03-30-2008, 01:13

Really awesome architecture and art?

Viluin
03-30-2008, 01:13

I disagree, it's foogly.

Tiberias
03-30-2008, 01:15
I disagree, it's foogly.

To each there own, unless it's on Darkfall OT, AMIRITE?!?!

Yobaj
03-30-2008, 03:13

well, it wasnt religion that created it was it? It was only the churches who could trick people to give them money so that they could afford it...

Razel
03-30-2008, 03:25
oh nice a religion thread. praise allah and all that sorta thing

Hitom
03-30-2008, 04:19
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3lNNH5uIuIA

Im probably gonna get flammed for posting this, but whatever.

Tad
03-30-2008, 04:29
well, it wasnt religion that created it was it? It was only the churches who could trick people to give them money so that they could afford it...

Oh geez. So now the church is evil for funding the Sistine Chapel? The boy touching, that's a good point. Silence over slavery, a fair shot. The Inquisition; the Crusades, completely reasonable. But, an alleged conspiracy over building Notre Dame, and painting The Last Supper is out there.

Eternalsinner
03-30-2008, 05:35
Im not at all surprised how dense our society is. also the parents should be admitted to an insane asylum for actually beliving that bullshit.

Jargo
06-19-2008, 19:12
Ok, I’m normally not one to necro an old thread but I think this is better than creating a whole new one.

LOL thay done it agin!

http://www.cnn.com/2008/CRIME/06/19/faith.healer.deaths.ap/index.html

Those same fuckers from the beginning of the thread have now managed to kill off another one of their kids due to their religious beliefs. I support religious freedom as granted by the Constitution, but there needs to be a point where the law steps in and bitch slaps people like this. Religious beliefs are no excuse to be an incompetent, negligent parent.

How many more of their kids have to die before they’re taken away from them? :bang:

Viluin
06-19-2008, 19:42
If religion is not banned soon I will mobilize an army to exterminate it.

[LoD] EE
06-19-2008, 19:50
Yet another case of stupidity brought on by irrational beliefs in the supernatural.

Hey, at least there are two less religious people on this planet to spread their ignorance.

Delwyn
06-19-2008, 19:51
Holy shit.

I don't think it's the same family though. It said 15 year old cousin and pneumonia. The 11 year old in on the original post died from diabetes.

The Cougar
06-19-2008, 19:56
I didn't know killing off your children was a religious belief.

Jargo
06-19-2008, 19:57
Holy shit.

I don't think it's the same family though. It said 15 year old cousin and pneumonia. The 11 year old in on the original post died from diabetes.

DOH! Your right, I need to pay better attention to detail. With all these dumb shit parents murdering their kids I’m having a hard time keeping track of them all.

stalwart
06-19-2008, 19:57
i think they should let the parents off the hook

raise your kids how you want to raise them. it'll slim the gene pool.

Elemancer
06-19-2008, 20:02
EE;1414391']Yet another case of stupidity brought on by irrational beliefs in the supernatural.

Everyone is guilty of irrational beliefs not just those of faith, trust me.

The parents were ignorant, period. It's not an entire religion's fault for a stupid belief. I would be willing to bet there are a hundred fold more deaths due to doctors 'believing' their treatment would work on an improper diagnosis only to end up severely damaging or killing the patient. I don't understand why someone doesn't throw that baby out with the bath water...Humans are subjected to a personal bias (religious, industrial, etc) no matter how well educated they are.

The parents made a very bad judgment, and so do professionals everyday. Doesn't make it a crime...

The Cougar
06-19-2008, 20:02
i think they should let the parents off the hook

raise your kids how you want to raise them. it'll slim the gene pool.
This was caused by ignorance, not genes. If the children had been taken away and given a proper education they could've turned out to be above average and actually contributed to the gene pool. Too bad their parents decided to kill them off instead.

[LoD] EE
06-19-2008, 20:08
I didn't know killing off your children was a religious belief.

Ignorance is.

Jargo
06-19-2008, 20:11

The parents were ignorant, period. It's not an entire religion's fault for a stupid belief. I would be willing to bet there are a hundred fold more deaths due to doctors 'believing' their treatment would work on an improper diagnosis only to end up severely damaging or killing the patient. I don't understand why someone doesn't throw that baby out with the bath water...Humans are subjected to a personal bias (religious, industrial, etc) no matter how well educated they are.

The parents made a very bad judgment, and so do professionals everyday. Doesn't make it a crime...

Consider looking at it from this perspective –

Let’s say I have three young children. One of them becomes sick and in need of serious medical attention. I however, believe in magic ghosts that will grant you wishes is you clap your hands at midnight and think about what you want hard enough. After a month of prolonged suffering my child dies. Am I a competent parent, or am I batshit insane?

Ftang
06-19-2008, 20:18

The parents were ignorant, period. It's not an entire religion's fault for a stupid belief.
id say these parents are "better christians" in that they truly believe that god answers their prayers, they took the words of their holy book to its logical conclusion. you cant NOT blame christianity in this case when belief in the power of prayer is a core tennet of said religion.......

Slisk
06-19-2008, 21:06
What they needed was less prayers and more pixie dust.

FOOLS!

ArdentAngel
06-19-2008, 21:32

So he drowns.

Thats no joke, thats the fucking truth.

ArdentAngel
06-19-2008, 21:41
Ok, I’m normally not one to necro an old thread but I think this is better than creating a whole new one.

LOL thay done it agin!

http://www.cnn.com/2008/CRIME/06/19/faith.healer.deaths.ap/index.html

Those same fuckers from the beginning of the thread have now managed to kill off another one of their kids due to their religious beliefs. I support religious freedom as granted by the Constitution, but there needs to be a point where the law steps in and bitch slaps people like this. Religious beliefs are no excuse to be an incompetent, negligent parent.

How many more of their kids have to die before they’re taken away from them? :bang:

Wow....now i feel like killing those people. Really. If they had diabetes like that i bet they would pussy out and go to the doctor....but nah...if it's someone else just let god do it. You know...if their child was schizophrenic (with voices) i bet eventually even those twisted voices would say...."What the fuck is wrong with this kids parents man....hey kid, go to the doctor. Your no fun to fuck with if your dead you know!"

Dredgon
06-19-2008, 21:50
I have diabetes and I have lived 14 years with it and do you want to know why?
Because I don't believe, so don't believe in any form of religion = life.

Futurity
06-19-2008, 22:05
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3lNNH5uIuIA

Im probably gonna get flammed for posting this, but whatever.

Holocaust and religion?

Please, Hitler thought that Aryan race was the most evolved and Jews were almost ape. He thought he was making world a favor so that we could evolve faster.

To OP:
People believe in really strange things, IMO this parents didn't believe in God from the Bible.

stalwart
06-19-2008, 23:11
This was caused by ignorance, not genes. If the children had been taken away and given a proper education they could've turned out to be above average and actually contributed to the gene pool. Too bad their parents decided to kill them off instead.

lemme learn you some edumacation:

Genetic fitness: The reproductive success of a genotype, usually measured as the number of offspring produced by an individual that survive to reproductive age relative to the average for the population.

the parents aren't genetically fit here. them doing this isn't a sign of much actual intelligence... so i'm pretty sure these people will die soon.

we lose any chance of their genes getting into the general population. i'm more happy for this.

on another note, i'm sure intelligence is affected a LOT by what genes you have.

Helgeran
06-19-2008, 23:51
It's common sense!

The happy side of this: a few stupid genes removed from the pool.

on another note, i'm sure intelligence is affected a LOT by what genes you have.

Indeed! As with all traits you can just compare with another organism. A dog would for instance never be as smart as a human even if it was raised under the same conditions.

Killuminati
06-19-2008, 23:52
god was obviously busy curing other people you assholes.

Lorth
06-19-2008, 23:54
a great example of how sheep control gets out of hand

Helgeran
06-19-2008, 23:55
god was obviously busy curing other people you assholes.
And in a strange twist of fate those were people who took medicine. I read some quote by an old king: God helps the army with the most men, best tactic and strongest weapons.

Everto
06-20-2008, 01:56
Investigators say the girl's parents attributed the death to the fact they apparently didn't have enough faith.

The investigators are basically saying "You're retarded."

GFH_Spike
06-20-2008, 02:38
Stories like these make me question whether prospective parents should be allowed the opportunity of raising children without prior examination of parental competency. If it weren't for my belief in upholding personal rights, two fucking morons would be sucking on the cock of a 12 gauge at their execution.

Killuminati
06-20-2008, 04:40
And in a strange twist of fate those were people who took medicine. I read some quote by an old king: God helps the army with the most men, best tactic and strongest weapons.

God clearly likes to win.

Jarkovii
06-20-2008, 04:57

So he drowns.

LOL classic

losinglife
06-20-2008, 05:51
maybe god was saying.. take it to a hospital you assholes, thats how we save people these days.

Delwyn
06-20-2008, 14:12

Actually, negligence is a crime.

chimp
06-20-2008, 14:22
lemme learn you some edumacation:

Genetic fitness: The reproductive success of a genotype, usually measured as the number of offspring produced by an individual that survive to reproductive age relative to the average for the population.

the parents aren't genetically fit here. them doing this isn't a sign of much actual intelligence... so i'm pretty sure these people will die soon.

we lose any chance of their genes getting into the general population. i'm more happy for this.

Guess what asswipe, youve completly butchered the concept of nature vs nurture.

Intelligence, if we ignore nurture all together, is a multi loci genetic trait which is difficult to predict, due to the numerous genes which could contribute to the overall intelligence of an individual.

Of course, any genetics is irrelevant when you consider the massive effect that nurture has on an individuals intelligence. In this case, its most likely the girls parents were raised to be highly religious, and therefore woudnt find the concept of god healing their child to be strange - regardless of whether they are otherwise stupid or smart people.

Stop dragging your pre-school population genetic theory into threads where it has no relevance.

Hitom
06-20-2008, 14:47
Guess what asswipe, youve completly butchered the concept of nature vs nurture.

Intelligence, if we ignore nurture all together, is a multi loci genetic trait which is difficult to predict, due to the numerous genes which could contribute to the overall intelligence of an individual.

Of course, any genetics is irrelevant when you consider the massive effect that nurture has on an individuals intelligence. In this case, its most likely the girls parents were raised to be highly religious, and therefore woudnt find the concept of god healing their child to be strange - regardless of whether they are otherwise stupid or smart people.

Stop dragging your pre-school population genetic theory into threads where it has no relevance.

Id say intelligence and latent inhibiton do play a factor in wheter a person is religious or not.

People that have low latent inhibiton have a way of questioning things way more often that people with normal latent inibiton. Ofcourse this can work either way. I know two people personally who both have extremly decreased latent inhibiton, one is a christian, and the other is a atheist.