PDA

View Full Version : My OPINION

Jawb0ne
01-20-2012, 09:15
Here is my personal take on my experience with Darkfall, what seemed to be the perfect game for me. I loved everything I heard and all the hype was great back when. I played for a few months, and I know what half of you are going to say, "that's not enough"etc. It is also relevant to add that I macro'ed a bit because it was such an incredibly slow grind.
I really did enjoy a lot of the time I spent on the game I loved always watching my back and always knowing where I needed to dash if need be while grinding thing... I loved all that. The combat in general, I thought was great! Sure it seemed choppy here and there but first person more than made up for it. I can't say enough about how much I love the ideas and concepts behind most everything. It's a game that I really, really wanted to love. However, at this point I don't think there is a chance of resubscription.
I was a casual gamer by darkfall terms; about 2-3 hours a day 5-6 days a week during that first month. I honestly can't remember what my skills were up to. I did join a clan about 4-5 weeks into it, which GREATLY improved my experience.
I tell you all that to basically ask this... is what you consider "hardcore" (by that I mean non-carebear) just about how much time you can put into a game? Because here I was thinking that it was going to be based on how quick you could think, reflexes, and a healthy dose of forethought. But no, its really more about who has spent the most time macroing. And yes, I know some players are simply better than others, and that is how it should be. The divide between end game and the starting player should be narrowed both in their stats, and the time it takes one to reach a competitive point. WORST CASE SCENARIO: you have a bunch of people who can't play for sh*t but have the same stats as those who worked their butts off learning the "ins" and "outs" of the game's combat and the people who still suck will get their asses handed to them. Then, heaven forbid, those people look at the way they are going about things and they improve, instead of realizing they have to grind for another couple months just to keep up and quit. Now, I know you guys... Many of you would say, "its a good thing they left for their stupid carebear games." But that is exactly why you have no body on Darkfall anymore. Also, I am not suggesting you take out the grind. You better still have to work hard for your sh*t for it to be worth taking when you are killed, and more than that, worth protecting and being paranoid over.
You want competition? Narrow that gap. You want to keep your snobby elitist community pathetically small? Make another game that appeals to a tiny market that is so proud of their 2 year grind they feel entitled to repeal any and damn near all would-be subscribers, who are the only thing that would even keep this near perfect concept of a game alive. OR maybe make the game more accessible and there by more competitive which will grow the number of subscribers and my, apparently not popular, view on "hardcore" pvp. Darkfall gives so many reasons to PVP, but does not make the means accessible to those who DF needs to survive: casual gamers. (the ones who can't be online all the time, but still want to be enveloped in the game)
I don't speak to all of you of course, and to those who this applies to you won't care anyway. I have met a lot of really helpful guys on DF, but their voice just isn't loud enough to overcome you all who destroyed your own game. Honestly I expect no one to take this seriously but I have my opinion and I am sure someone agrees with something I have said. If not... who cares doesn't matter anyway.
-Best of luck on DF2, truly hope it works out.

caldrin
01-20-2012, 11:27
If you played the game recently you would have realised that it does not take no where near the amount of time to lvl your skills that it did at launch.

There are been a few skill gain increases over the years and its at a very good lvl now.

After the second skill gain patch i started an alt and basically had her upto a standard that i could do soem nice damage in group pvp in about a month of casual play, while playing my main character as well.. Befroe that my main character took about 3 months to get the same amonut of skills. I am only a casual player maybe a few hours a night at best.. I enjoyed every bit of it tho.

So hopefully in Darkfall 2.0 they will just tweak the skill gain a bit and not make it too fast because if you can max out in a few weeks you will get the problem we have had since the stupid silly superfast skill gain the other month.. Everyone is now maxed out and has nothing to really do in game, people have left because they had nothing to do then the ones who stayed found it hard to find PVP the only thing left to do.. as there was no pvp they also left..

traitor1
01-20-2012, 11:30
can't tell if sell bot or tl;dr

Niburu
01-20-2012, 11:31
if you can max out in a few weeks you will get the problem we have had since the stupid silly superfast skill gain the other month.. Everyone is now maxed out and has nothing to really do in game,

If thats the case Darkfall failed as a sandbox game and has not enough features to create and shape the world to keep people bussy playing.

caldrin
01-20-2012, 11:36
If thats the case Darkfall failed as a sandbox game and has not enough features to create and shape the world to keep people bussy playing.

yes that as well, if it had more features around pvp people would have stuck around i would have thought. Static Hamlets/Cities and player housing was a big mistake, they could ahve also done a lot more abotu territory control and made it mean somthing.. When you think about it there is not much sandbox in this so caleld sandbox game..

Greatdane
01-20-2012, 13:23
my alt had 50 greatsword mastery, 50 str, 100 fire magic, and 50 sharpshooter when his 14 day trial was up... this is more than almost anybody playing casually could do in 3 months without macroing

fireball level 75+ with keen r80 hit for 30 damage on a player in a bone set, 25 with a blackbolt

william wallace rerolled with me around the same time, got fire magic 100 with 75 fireball and tried to pvp- he hit a player in the back with fireball for 9 damage, and after that fight gave up pvp for the next 3 weeks so he could macro/grind

crafted fp + keen justicebringer vs a player in bone/fp mix + jb I was hitting for 29 and getting hit for 43, no buff others for either of us

the only way to make that viable is to fight baddies all day, or to zerg the ever loving shit out of people and let your group carry you, neither of which I found to be much fun

only through further hardcore play did I get anywhere on that character, and it was pretty much negated by people like ballz face and richard doomhammer who presurged every single spell in the game before pvping

cod3r_
01-20-2012, 14:19
the sad part is that DF as it is doesn't need a TON of shit.. it just needs to fix the broke shit..

if all play styles were viable the skill rate would be OK as it is.. if you want to be a mage focus on that and you can compete just fine w/out having to do the other things.. same with archer and melee.. Maybe the specializations will be the trick..

if there was a legit trade hub where anyone could buy or sell wares.. esp newbs then you wouldn't have to l2craft.. and crafters could enjoy the game a little more and it's one less thing to have to grind up..

if there weren't retarded portals everyone wouldn't want to ally up so they can port all over the map..

if territories had things that were worth controlling... there would be some meaning to clan warfare..

if the lore was actually in game.. with penalizing ARAC or buffing non arac some way or another..

if the races them selves were balanced.. how an alfar can take hits just like a big ork has always confused me..

DF would be in good shape.. then they could focus on hammering out items and maybe quests.. dungeon bosses where you can get rare shit and w/e..

then the tools to actually build shit like a real sandbox.. maybe even incorporate some of the community created tools

fundamentals got to be fixed first..

the frustrating part is they've had 3 years to do this.. and they keep promising it'll be done.. but it never is.. so people begin to lose faith. ESP considering the code is there.. the tools are there.. they just gota implement it. These are not crazy changes.. they just require a little thought and design.. and i bet any decent coder could crank shit out...

SphereOfDeath
01-23-2012, 02:43
And this my response:
No, no no you can make a game to please everyone

Sorry if I failed to read your perilously long paragraphs and grasp your Opinion. Note for future Aim, Titles, Bullet Points and conclusion really help people waste their precious time reading your view. (I heard there is an election on - people find it funnier, have more to laugh at).

$id Viciou$
01-25-2012, 22:27
I play about as much as you . .. when I can which is not every week.

:(

Believe it or not they have narrowed the gap dramatically already because in the past a full archer/melee user would not be able to compete 1vs1 with a high-end magic user for the most part when it used to be nearly impossible.

These days you can invest in a rank 50+ bow with nice enchants along with some heavy gear and get your sharpshooting to 100 (which isn't hard) and 350+ health (use meditation or wear +health enchants or have a friend buff you before each battle) and choose the archery specializations called mage hunter and mage killer so that you can out DPS someone with maxxed magic (as long as you can aim good and dodge). Besides that you only use witchesbrew (use meditation to get 75, insect swarm (ray that is good to use quickly whenever you pull out a staff for healing or whatever but it doesnt do much damage so whatever), heal other + sacrifice, conversions, unburden, begone, confusion, and maybe tongue rot or rend during some fights.

Hell if you just have some decent gear on and a rank 60+ bow you could out DPS almost anyone so long as you land your shots and you dont even need all that stuff I mentioned to do so.

Hai Marsa
01-25-2012, 22:47
http://forums.darkfallonline.com/showthread.php?t=308441

Read this..i am day 18 now will post my progress every5 days futher..

This is the LEGIT way!!

started with nothing.. farmed and meditated

grizzlednutz
01-26-2012, 20:13
to the op:

Your post is more or less the same thing I have been saying for a long time. That is the fact that DF caters to hardcore no life gamers. Just because you have a job doesn't mean you have a life, and for me it would be difficult to even obtain 10 hours a week of playtime.

Sad truth that I have learned is this: DF is not a casual players game and it more than likely never will be unless they do so much work like revamping the ui and adding an insane amount of content and depth to the world.

A lot of people here that post responses will say that "hey, maybe if you play now you can benefit from the increased skill gains..". The gains have increased this is true but if you are a truly casual player it still will not be the godsend you are looking for.

If you have never played before and you can play a couple hours a day and are into the whole ruthless pvp world(even though you won't see other people initially) you will probably last a couple months before the grind to achieve everything, the sporadic mob movement, the lack of substance, atrocious ui, and drag-and-drop loot system force you to unsubscribe knowing that it could be so much better if only...

Before I get the response that "why should you care if you don't even play.." "omg.. you talk about having no life but you are posting in a game forum that you don't even play! gtfo". I would like to say the reason I post here is because the game is interesting, it was an ambitious project, the community is interesting and very niche and I it also gives me something to do at work.

grizzlednutz
01-26-2012, 21:22
http://forums.darkfallonline.com/showthread.php?t=308441

Read this..i am day 18 now will post my progress every5 days futher..

This is the LEGIT way!!

started with nothing.. farmed and meditated

What is funny about this post is that this guy plays "at least 8 hours a day" as he stated in the post he links which chronicles his daily/weekly character advancement.

I think you missed the point of this thread hai. People like you have no issues with the game because you are able to develop your character at a bearable pace while also generating cash to sustain your play-style.

In your post you claim your only issue is with money, well imagine how a true casual player would be progressing as compared to you. They don't have nearly, not even close, to the amount of time you do to farm, so they might get one decent haul or 2 before they log off, and consider all they have done while they are on is gear up and farm. Now imagine if they get ganked on the way back to their hamlet/city before they could bank. Not only have they lost all profit/time invested but also their gear. This is why casuals don't play.. it's too unforgiving of a game for people that don't have lots of free time, hence why the game is in the tubes.

Grats on enjoying the game though.. I have nothing against people who have the time to play enjoyably and successfully but don't wonder why the game has no subs at the end of the day.

Nashtak
01-27-2012, 06:40
If you played the game recently you would have realised that it does not take no where near the amount of time to lvl your skills that it did at launch.

There are been a few skill gain increases over the years and its at a very good lvl now.

After the second skill gain patch i started an alt and basically had her upto a standard that i could do soem nice damage in group pvp in about a month of casual play, while playing my main character as well.. Befroe that my main character took about 3 months to get the same amonut of skills. I am only a casual player maybe a few hours a night at best.. I enjoyed every bit of it tho.

So hopefully in Darkfall 2.0 they will just tweak the skill gain a bit and not make it too fast because if you can max out in a few weeks you will get the problem we have had since the stupid silly superfast skill gain the other month.. Everyone is now maxed out and has nothing to really do in game, people have left because they had nothing to do then the ones who stayed found it hard to find PVP the only thing left to do.. as there was no pvp they also left..

If grinding is the only thing keeping the masses from playing the game, then the game failed by designed. You don't want tokeep your players playing with grind, but with sand in their box.

Aratix
01-27-2012, 07:00
The biggest problem with a new character is that you need 3 months to be able to even think about taking yourself serious in PVP. Sure you can grind the spells if you have the gold... but nothing is going to help your raw stats but logging off and meditating or having millions of gold to fund 24/7 macroing. You won't be meditating while doing your spell grinds.

tentimes
01-27-2012, 14:18
the sad part is that DF as it is doesn't need a TON of shit.. it just needs to fix the broke shit..

if all play styles were viable the skill rate would be OK as it is.. if you want to be a mage focus on that and you can compete just fine w/out having to do the other things.. same with archer and melee.. Maybe the specializations will be the trick..

if there was a legit trade hub where anyone could buy or sell wares.. esp newbs then you wouldn't have to l2craft.. and crafters could enjoy the game a little more and it's one less thing to have to grind up..

if there weren't retarded portals everyone wouldn't want to ally up so they can port all over the map..

if territories had things that were worth controlling... there would be some meaning to clan warfare..

if the lore was actually in game.. with penalizing ARAC or buffing non arac some way or another..

if the races them selves were balanced.. how an alfar can take hits just like a big ork has always confused me..

DF would be in good shape.. then they could focus on hammering out items and maybe quests.. dungeon bosses where you can get rare shit and w/e..

then the tools to actually build shit like a real sandbox.. maybe even incorporate some of the community created tools

fundamentals got to be fixed first..

the frustrating part is they've had 3 years to do this.. and they keep promising it'll be done.. but it never is.. so people begin to lose faith. ESP considering the code is there.. the tools are there.. they just gota implement it. These are not crazy changes.. they just require a little thought and design.. and i bet any decent coder could crank shit out...

THIS is spot on! The problem is that the company is just pig headed. Let me give you an example:

I was just about to sign up and come back to Darkfall, I logged in to the secure site, but it was asking me to pay for something, but wouldn't say whether it was the full game or sub (I couldn't remember if I had gone beyond the trial). I used the secure HTTPS system to ask if I had already bought the game.

The reply refused to answer and asked me for all the secure info I had put into the account manager, including my server, credit card number (I can't even remember what card it was - moths ago), character names, full address, previous address, name and address of the cardholder, the email associated with the account (which they got from the secure account system and were already addressing the email to), ALL to be sent back to them by insecure email.

ALL to tell me if I own the game? After I gave them all my personal information by insecure email (they refuse to talk to me otherwise) they reply with "We need more time to look into this". It's YES or NO!!

So, they seem to me to be run in a totally pigheaded way, which is illustrated perfectly by their refusal to change the game so they can keep afloat. ALL your suggestions are just right, but I have been hearing Darkfall 2.0 for as long as I can remember now.

Darkfall has so much potential, when I left last time (after playing it nearly 24/7) I left because of the reasons the OP suggested. I had been off work, but I knew that to ever be competitive I would have to go on a leave of absence from work for 6 months, give up nights out, etc, in order to get to the level of the macro elites.

You don't need to narrow the gap too much to make this work. It requires small changes. But it appears some people will not give an inch, not a single inch.

So, if your game dies, it is due to terrible intransigence on the part of the developers and fanatical self-destructive behaviour by a vocal section of the (small) player base.

I followed Darkfall for years... I wish some small changes could be made so we had the best sandbox in the world. Maybe the darkest hour will indeed be before the dawn - here's hoping.

(P.S. I don't care if you flame me, I realise that this is an internet forum and it doesn't bother me)

caldrin
01-27-2012, 14:27
I played Darkfall casually for over a year now and have had great fun.. Only reason im just about maxed now is because of the silly weekend... I hardly log in now as i feel i have nothing to do in game.

Warin
01-27-2012, 22:57
Make it more like Shadowbane where you would level up to max fast, especially in a guild. But practicing PvP, speccing and gearing would take longer.

In shadowbane you were mostly farming for your guild or to pad your bank, not to increase stats / skills. It's not like people would stop farming if they didn't get skill increases aslong as gold/loot is useful.